Taxes to be removed on Laptops and Tablets says Finance Minister

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Re: Taxes to be removed on Laptops and Tablets says Finance Minister

Postby carluva » October 14th, 2020, 3:55 pm

maj.tom,

Why these Zotac mini PCs so expensive? I mean By the time I add memory and SSD and then have to buy Windows 10, I have already exceeded the cost of some of the ready to use Dells, HPs and Lenovos of similar specs.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 14th, 2020, 3:56 pm

elec2020 wrote:Also stay away from windows 10. It is the worst operating system i have ever been on. In the space of 24hrs windows defender was randomly deleting third party exe files (i took 2 hours to try to solve this) and windows did not recognize my gaming headset (took 3 hrs to solve this). It also blocked me from usin Steam. Apparently these are common issues on windows 10.

And what to use then?
Linux? Which flavor? Windows 7 which is outdated, not supported anymore and thus very vulnerable to attacks? Maybe he can run React and then use Wine to run simple things like Office.

Maybe the problem you experienced was yours. Windows doesn't delete your files, or block access to Steam. A virus or malware does. You can add exclusions in Defender for any program you want that falsely triggers the antivirus. So it does block the hundreds of millions of other users that use Steam then? Oh it didn't recognize your gaming headset? How about installing the proprietary drivers from the headset's website? You had a problem where you don't know how to use Windows 10, and now it bad. Hit it with a stick and tell everybody else how it bad. Yeah.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 14th, 2020, 4:04 pm

carluva wrote:maj.tom,

Why these Zotac mini PCs so expensive? I mean By the time I add memory and SSD and then have to buy Windows 10, I have already exceeded the cost of some of the ready to use Dells, HPs and Lenovos of similar specs.

The latest 10th generation intels will be more expensive because Q2 2020 release. You can try to get an 8th gen. But yes that's the point, that in the end it'll come up to the same cost as other PCs for the same spec. I had just wanted a very small form factor and at the time could only find exactly what i wanted in Zotac with current specs. I saved more by having an SSD already which i transferred from my old computer, and i already had a Win 7 key, which i used to activate new Win 10.

I mean, i just suggesting Zotac and saying that their reputation is well deserved. If you see a nano-form HP or Dell with all those ports for a good price, go for it.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 14th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Ah - understood. makes sense

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 4:32 pm

maj. tom wrote:
elec2020 wrote:Also stay away from windows 10. It is the worst operating system i have ever been on. In the space of 24hrs windows defender was randomly deleting third party exe files (i took 2 hours to try to solve this) and windows did not recognize my gaming headset (took 3 hrs to solve this). It also blocked me from usin Steam. Apparently these are common issues on windows 10.

And what to use then?
Linux? Which flavor? Windows 7 which is outdated, not supported anymore and thus very vulnerable to attacks? Maybe he can run React and then use Wine to run simple things like Office.

Maybe the problem you experienced was yours. Windows doesn't delete your files, or block access to Steam. A virus or malware does. You can add exclusions in Defender for any program you want that falsely triggers the antivirus. So it does block the hundreds of millions of other users that use Steam then? Oh it didn't recognize your gaming headset? How about installing the proprietary drivers from the headset's website? You had a problem where you don't know how to use Windows 10, and now it bad. Hit it with a stick and tell everybody else how it bad. Yeah.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.easeus ... sking.html (windows defender deleting exes automatically)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 9fe609c3cf (windows not recognizing headset)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/windowsrep ... -10/%3famp (windows blocking steam)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... ws-10/amp/ (forbes article on wide reports of windows 10 errors)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdnet. ... -made-men/ (why windows 10 is rubbish)

At least do some research on the topic before you criticise me. I am not a pc wiz my background is economics. But i would say based on the numerous articles and videos on the links above my problems were not down to malware or some virus. Then again you acting like an expert so what do i know.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 4:36 pm

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 4b60b07fc2

This person ran through well why windows 10 is a mess.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 14th, 2020, 5:00 pm

elec2020 wrote:
maj. tom wrote:

And what to use then?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.easeus ... sking.html (windows defender deleting exes automatically)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 9fe609c3cf (windows not recognizing headset)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/windowsrep ... -10/%3famp (windows blocking steam)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... ws-10/amp/ (forbes article on wide reports of windows 10 errors)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdnet. ... -made-men/ (why windows 10 is rubbish)

At least do some research on the topic before you criticise me. I am not a pc wiz my background is economics. But i would say based on the numerous articles and videos on the links above my problems were not down to malware or some virus. Then again you acting like an expert so what do i know.

You can disable Windows Defender, I literally had to do that on so many machines at the office due the exact same issue. The other issue though is either it re-enables itself after rebooting or updates, or users lying to me and re-enabling it after Windows' annoying prompts.

Switch to Mac, it's not perfect (though far far better than Windows). Keep Win10 just for gaming and Excel (mac excel is crap).

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 5:08 pm

^ don't tell maj.tom that he feel i lieing. I had to run some line of code in command prompt to fix my issue. My defender still on but it playing second fiddle to my pirated (proton vpn is a good free vpn btw) norton antivirus. But the thing is most places/software run windows so meh. Also idk if apple can run some of the programs (like Matlab/R studio) that i use for my job. If the windows situation does degrade further by the time i ready to replace this pc (maybe 2024/25) i will make the switch though.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 14th, 2020, 5:28 pm

i can google too, and i read through all of them before your "proofs."
Most likely answers were that it was malware or a bad install where sfc/scannow had to be called. Did you consider the 1 billion other devices that running Windows 10 that did not have those problems?

Hit it with a stick. If yuh eh want to use Windows 10, then spend yuh $22,000 and get a Mac.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 6:18 pm

^ the numerous news articles highlighting inefficiences in the windows OS as well as the fix guides and tutorial videos should indicate that: (i) sfc/scannow does not fix everything; (ii) it is not malware or a virus; and (iii) 1 billion users do not have error free experiences with windows 10 (just go on reddit and read some stories there). U sounding like a windows fanboy. Despite the physical evidence everyone wrong you right. You should apply for ttps you will fit right in.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 14th, 2020, 6:23 pm

You have an alternative to Windows? Yes actually I have been extremely happy with my Windows 10 upgrade since 2015. There were some bugs on my first install, but i did a clean hard drive wipe and reinstall and never had issues since. Even with the big Creators updates. Smooth and fully functional always.

Spend yuh $22k on a Mac and save us all the GG whining on yet another topic please.

:pokes: :rocol:
Last edited by maj. tom on October 14th, 2020, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 14th, 2020, 6:31 pm

elec2020 wrote:^ don't tell maj.tom that he feel i lieing. I had to run some line of code in command prompt to fix my issue. My defender still on but it playing second fiddle to my pirated (proton vpn is a good free vpn btw) norton antivirus. But the thing is most places/software run windows so meh. Also idk if apple can run some of the programs (like Matlab/R studio) that i use for my job. If the windows situation does degrade further by the time i ready to replace this pc (maybe 2024/25) i will make the switch though.

It can definitely run Rstudio but there's also R studio cloud as well. Same for MATLAB though I haven't used it in years but the Mac version of most popular software is often better than windows.

The only program I have issues with is Excel. MS has broken Excel on Mac in many ways though it's essentially the same software. However I use parallels and open Excel directly there, runs as fast as native excel in my Windows machine. Mac is just amazing, I can't go back to Windows.

If you're a graphic, video or software developer Mac is by far the best choice. Windows only if you're a gamer or heavt Excel user.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Yes officer sorry for ever questioning your authoritah

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
elec2020 wrote:^ don't tell maj.tom that he feel i lieing. I had to run some line of code in command prompt to fix my issue. My defender still on but it playing second fiddle to my pirated (proton vpn is a good free vpn btw) norton antivirus. But the thing is most places/software run windows so meh. Also idk if apple can run some of the programs (like Matlab/R studio) that i use for my job. If the windows situation does degrade further by the time i ready to replace this pc (maybe 2024/25) i will make the switch though.

It can definitely run Rstudio but there's also R studio cloud as well. Same for MATLAB though I haven't used it in years but the Mac version of most popular software is often better than windows.

The only program I have issues with is Excel. MS has broken Excel on Mac in many ways though it's essentially the same software. However I use parallels and open Excel directly there, runs as fast as native excel in my Windows machine. Mac is just amazing, I can't go back to Windows.

If you're a graphic, video or software developer Mac is by far the best choice. Windows only if you're a gamer or heavt Excel user.

Thanks for the advise. That was my main concern. That it could not host statisitcal programs well. But that is cleared up. I had windows 7 before and it was okayish (the constant updates were annoying). Is windows 10 that made me realise that it may be time to look at another OS. I will do better research the next time i decide to purchase a pc. Thanks dohplaydat. And i hope you stay safe during these uncertain times

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 14th, 2020, 6:47 pm

elec2020 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

Thanks for the advise. That was my main concern. That it could not host statisitcal programs well. But that is cleared up. I had windows 7 before and it was okayish (the constant updates were annoying). Is windows 10 that made me realise that it may be time to look at another OS. I will do better research the next time i decide to purchase a pc. Thanks dohplaydat. And i hope you stay safe during these uncertain times

I'd recommend you get the Macbook Pro 16 i9, 5500M, 32GB 1TB, that's around $3000 on Amazon.

I just bought a 13 MB Pro (i5 quad) to replace my 2014 model (still amazing after 6 years, but I gave it to my niece). But I'm waiting to see if Apple updates the 16 MBP this year. Rumours are that it might be the 11th gen i9 which might be 20% faster. Also, the SSD speeds might get a bump as well as the GPU, but we'll see.

Also, Mac has Final Cut and Logic.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 14th, 2020, 7:01 pm

I spent over 10k total on an alienware (which i received yesterday). So i not buying a new pc anytime soon lol. Thanks for the recommendation though

kukulook
Riding on 13's

Postby kukulook » October 14th, 2020, 7:44 pm

elec, you could convert your machine to a hackintosh since you have a 5700xt if you want to go mac. it will perform faster than that 3k mac book pro.

i used all 3 (win10, mac, linux) and I prefer win10. i use the sandbox feature when i want to play around with weird sheit and WSL when i need to access some of the linux stuff.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 14th, 2020, 10:03 pm

carluva wrote:maj.tom,

Plug n Play. With Windows 10 already installed.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/mini-pcs/nuc8i3behfa.html

OR

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-all-in-one-pcs/optiplex-3070-micro/spd/optiplex-3070-micro/s013o3070mffus
desktop-optiplex-3070-micro-mlk-pdp-mod1.jpg

I have bought from Dell.com direct before. Keyboard and mouse included in price. Ships from TX to your skybox within 2 days. Only thing make sure you configure for a SSD.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 14th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Thanks man. I saw those intel nuc but some of the top reviews on Amazon are really negative and report common issues. Those are a bit of red flags. I'll keep looking though.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Taxes to be removed on Laptops and Tablets says Finance Minister

Postby dredman1 » October 15th, 2020, 6:28 am

elec2020 wrote:
dredman1 wrote:
elec2020 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
dredman1 wrote:Wonder if I decide to bring in a US$6000+ Macbook Pro if a customs officer in a bad mood could still decide to give the shaft because he feeling vindictive, even with the minister's announcement :pokes:

Also, anybody bought in and cleared a desktop yet to confirm if these are also excluded from the concessions, since the announcement doesn't specifically mention desktops?

Just brought down a $1900 Mac book Pro 13, no tax or duties.

I have a desktop coming in. Should be ready for me to pick up mid bext week. Paid 1400 on it. Will tell you what the damage is

Yes, please. Thanks!

My desktop, which weighed 35 pounds, was cleared and according to my courier web source it costed me about 1000 tt (remember i paid about 9500 tt for this desktop). The only tax i was charged with was vat on handling or something so (only 0.69 cents). As such it appears that opt has been removed for desktops. I can't remember the minister saying that this was going to take effect immediately. All in all i budgeted this pc to clear for 3000tt (given its price and weight) so i am estatic.

Thanks for the update.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 15th, 2020, 10:40 am

kukulook wrote:elec, you could convert your machine to a hackintosh since you have a 5700xt if you want to go mac. it will perform faster than that 3k mac book pro.

i used all 3 (win10, mac, linux) and I prefer win10. i use the sandbox feature when i want to play around with weird sheit and WSL when i need to access some of the linux stuff.

Thanks for the advise. I am not a pc pro so i don't like interfering with things i an unfamiliar with on my pc as i don't wanna have to outsource a repair shop who may do who knows what with my new pc (replace my good parts with cheap sheit). I will bite the bullet and reconsider my OS choice when i am ready to get a new pc.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » October 15th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Heard a story that 3500 laptops were recently ordered

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 19th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Maj.tom

I bit the bullet and bought the Zotac intel I5 10XXX, a single 16gb ram and a western digital 500gb blue SSD. Added also a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and a webcam and all that came in at $599.

Comparable specs in the micro/mini/small form factor dell, hp and lenovo were 700+.

The setup seems straightforward from the vids I looked at so I can't wait now to get this up and running. I hope I'm not disappointed.

General question tho, I'm shipping with Aeropost. Do the tax exemptions also apply to desktops such as this?

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » October 19th, 2020, 10:48 pm

So if you’re looking to buy a desktop or parts to build your own pc, is it that from December taxes and duties on desktops and accessories will be removed from what I’m hearing?

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Postby d.d.s. » October 19th, 2020, 11:51 pm

carluva wrote:Maj.tom

I bit the bullet and bought the Zotac intel I5 10XXX, a single 16gb ram and a western digital 500gb blue SSD. Added also a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and a webcam and all that came in at $599.

Comparable specs in the micro/mini/small form factor dell, hp and lenovo were 700+.

The setup seems straightforward from the vids I looked at so I can't wait now to get this up and running. I hope I'm not disappointed.

General question tho, I'm shipping with Aeropost. Do the tax exemptions also apply to desktops such as this?

Couple weeks ago, I bought a WD SSD 1TB and a fan for my pc.
All taxes were still applied.
Cost $103 to clear with jetbox

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » October 20th, 2020, 7:22 am

d.d.s. wrote:
carluva wrote:Maj.tom

Couple weeks ago, I bought a WD SSD 1TB and a fan for my pc.
All taxes were still applied.
Cost $103 to clear with jetbox

Yup I just bought external hard drives and taxes there is customs duties , vat and online purchase tax

kukulook
Riding on 13's

Postby kukulook » October 20th, 2020, 8:55 am

Nice laptop to pickup if you on a budget. $349 - 4c/8t cpu, 8gb ram, 256 ssd, sheit screen.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Aspire- ... /768363421

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 20th, 2020, 11:55 am

Question - How is right or fair for customs to declare their own value for an item that clearly has an original receipt (also pre-alerted)?

I ordered a headphones that cost $120 on Amazon, customs CIF value is $275 wtf.....ended up paying more than $1000 TT to clear it (yes more than the item cost, despite it weight 1kg).

I know it's a headache but I'm going to. dispute the charges. I just wondering if customs working by vaps when it comes to declaring a value.

The MSRP of these headphones isn't even close to $275, it's $199

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 20th, 2020, 11:55 am

kukulook wrote:Nice laptop to pickup if you on a budget. $349 - 4c/8t cpu, 8gb ram, 256 ssd, sheit screen.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Aspire- ... /768363421

That is an amazing price, the screen is FHD can't be all that bad still.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 20th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:Question - How is right or fair for customs to declare their own value for an item that clearly has an original receipt (also pre-alerted)?

I ordered a headphones that cost $120 on Amazon, customs CIF value is $275 wtf.....ended up paying more than $1000 TT to clear it (yes more than the item cost, despite it weight 1kg).

I know it's a headache but I'm going to. dispute the charges. I just wondering if customs working by vaps when it comes to declaring a value.

The MSRP of these headphones isn't even close to $275, it's $199

Yes it is fair because the customs occifer wife didn't swell the roti this morning and the bodi could fit in the roti and now you hadda pay for that because he feeling in a mood when lunchtime reach. This is Trinidad, i just telling yuh how it works.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”