TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Should we just learn to live with the virus?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Should we just learn to live with the virus?

Postby abducted » September 21st, 2020, 12:02 pm

The nation has been brought to a standstill once at immense cost to the economy, education and health more generally. And now with cases rising there is the threat of new national restrictions, while large parts of the country have already found themselves back in partial lockdown. But are we fighting a losing battle? Do we instead need to learn to live with the virus?

The constant mantra is the virus must be suppressed and contained. But how do you do this when people can be infectious without knowing they have it? Where it can be passed on silently because people do not develop symptoms?

Hospital admissions matter 'not cases'
_114503491_hospital_admissions_20sep-nc.png

What's the risk of loosening our grip?
The death toll has undoubtedly been terrible.
The problem of relying on hospital admissions is that you can find yourself behind the curve. Hospital cases are a result of infections from a few weeks back - so if they spiral out of control more draconian measures may be needed than would have been otherwise.

The other issue, says Prof Christina Pagel, from University College London, is "Long Covid" - the patients who still struggle months after an infection. She says it would be "irresponsible" to allow the virus to spread as it is still less than a year old and we are still not certain of what the long-term risks are.

She also says if infection rates go up in the younger, healthier age groups it will be difficult to keep it from spilling over into more vulnerable ones.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54228649

Businesses and the economy is suffering
We cannot continue like this when bills, mortgages, rent, taxes still have to be paid and the collectors are not taking a hit, the banks are deferring but at no loss to them, instead you have to pay them more in the long run, this is not sustainable.

Is it time we learnt to live with the virus? Or should the quest be is it time we learn to die with the virus?

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Should we just learn to live with the virus?

Postby redmanjp » September 21st, 2020, 12:26 pm

the collectors are not taking a hit, the banks are deferring but at no loss to them

dem feel dey supposed to be immune to any and all fallout from the virus? Governments should put in emergency laws so that payments/taxes etc. can be deferred, even though they may lose a bit- banks can certainly afford to- they always posting billion dollar earnings- why it is everyone else alone must be affected and not them?

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » September 21st, 2020, 12:48 pm

The virus is actually saving olor lives.

When no virus present, is all kinda 500+ murders and thousands of robberies.
We almost at month 10 (October) and 65 dead from Covid while 300+ dead from Quamlal and co.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 21st, 2020, 12:57 pm

abducted wrote:The nation has been brought to a standstill once at immense cost to the economy, education and health more generally. And now with cases rising there is the threat of new national restrictions, while large parts of the country have already found themselves back in partial lockdown. But are we fighting a losing battle? Do we instead need to learn to live with the virus?

The constant mantra is the virus must be suppressed and contained. But how do you do this when people can be infectious without knowing they have it? Where it can be passed on silently because people do not develop symptoms?

Hospital admissions matter 'not cases'
_114503491_hospital_admissions_20sep-nc.png

What's the risk of loosening our grip?
The death toll has undoubtedly been terrible.
The problem of relying on hospital admissions is that you can find yourself behind the curve. Hospital cases are a result of infections from a few weeks back - so if they spiral out of control more draconian measures may be needed than would have been otherwise.

The other issue, says Prof Christina Pagel, from University College London, is "Long Covid" - the patients who still struggle months after an infection. She says it would be "irresponsible" to allow the virus to spread as it is still less than a year old and we are still not certain of what the long-term risks are.

She also says if infection rates go up in the younger, healthier age groups it will be difficult to keep it from spilling over into more vulnerable ones.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54228649

Businesses and the economy is suffering
We cannot continue like this when bills, mortgages, rent, taxes still have to be paid and the collectors are not taking a hit, the banks are deferring but at no loss to them, instead you have to pay them more in the long run, this is not sustainable.

Is it time we learnt to live with the virus? Or should the quest be is it time we learn to die with the virus?

Hello abducted,

Trinis aren’t fighting anything so it’s unable to determine if the battle can be won or lost. But basically yeh its an automatic defeat due to lack of interest.

Looks like complacency from a mentality, so yes i agree, better we learn to live.

The most those who care can do is to be safe.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 21st, 2020, 1:56 pm

You're talking about the social end to a pandemic.
Very interesting read:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/heal ... story.html

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » September 21st, 2020, 2:48 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:You're talking about the social end to a pandemic.
Very interesting read:

nobody terrified of HIV anymore

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 21st, 2020, 3:13 pm

MG Man wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:You're talking about the social end to a pandemic.
Very interesting read:

nobody terrified of HIV anymore

that has very good treatments now- covid doesn't yet

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 21st, 2020, 3:19 pm

formulate a story using HIV that can be parlayed to raid the HSF, and we will get terrified of it.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 21st, 2020, 3:50 pm

also, unless u going and fcuk everyone in d grocery, workplace and then everyone in church and come home and do d same with everyone in your family u doh have to fear hiv

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 21st, 2020, 4:03 pm

You can't compare HIV/AIDS to Covid
Covid is far more contagious through droplets in the air which can be breathed in while HIV is mostly sexually transmitted / shared needles etc.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » September 21st, 2020, 4:28 pm

Exactly....can't get hiv by sneezing and coughing....

And this isn't something like dengue/insect borne viruses where you control the vector that carries it and control the spread

You can't live with it either as it spreads rapidly and one can have their health deteriorate in a matter of days

Only way forward is really a vaccine

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » September 21st, 2020, 4:40 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:You can't compare HIV/AIDS to Covid
Covid is far more contagious through droplets in the air which can be breathed in while HIV is mostly sexually transmitted / shared needles etc.

yeah but remember when it THE global epidemic for years? Remember the scorn and fear of even being in the same room as someone who was HIV positive?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 21st, 2020, 4:43 pm

X_Factor wrote:Exactly....can't get hiv by sneezing and coughing....

And this isn't something like dengue/insect borne viruses where you control the vector that carries it and control the spread

You can't live with it either as it spreads rapidly and one can have their health deteriorate in a matter of days

Only way forward is really a vaccine

Not necessarily, there is a way forward without a vaccine:

1. Everyone wear masks indoors, especially in offices. For the life of me I can't understand how so many persons see no risk not wearing masks in big ass offices.

2. People need to be aware that older persons are more at risk and try to isolate them. They need everyone to wear masks around them as well.

3. Forget this stupid mask law that has people itching to remove masks when outdoors and in cars. In so many countries the messaging is reverse, wear masks INDOORS and in offices.

4. Tertiary education institutions, form 4 to 6 though can reopen once children and teachers wear masks. Teachers who are high risk though should be given the opportunity to not teach in person. The rest of classes will be online.

5. Bars, restaurants, gyms and cinemas can reopen once they limit customers and persons wear masks when they can.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 21st, 2020, 4:46 pm

MG Man wrote:

yeah but remember when it THE global epidemic for years? Remember the scorn and fear of even being in the same room as someone who was HIV positive?

Besides being a deadly and often terminal disease back in the day - a lot of that scorn came because of societal norms regarding promiscuity, sexual orientation, drug abuse etc that were linked to transmission
Fear of the unknown also

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 21st, 2020, 4:48 pm

no. 5- can't wear masks if u eating & drinking - hence the risks. and with airborne (as opposed to droplet) transmission i not sure that 6 feet rule without masks is enough

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 21st, 2020, 4:49 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
MG Man wrote:

Besides being a deadly and often terminal disease back in the day - a lot of that scorn came because of societal norms regarding promiscuity, sexual orientation, drug abuse etc that were linked to transmission
Fear of the unknown also

but with covid you can get it that way

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 21st, 2020, 4:56 pm

[list=][/list]
redmanjp wrote:no. 5- can't wear masks if u eating & drinking - hence the risks. and with airborne (as opposed to droplet) transmission i not sure that 6 feet rule without masks is enough

It's not, but let people decide if they want to risk it. Once they're not high risk or live with high risk persons, I see nothing wrong.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » September 21st, 2020, 4:58 pm

I don't think it was a direct comparison being made but an analogy, one way that a pandemic ends is by social means i.e. the population no longer allows it to keep them quarantined, essentially they learn to live with it, I think he was making the case for the initial fear and talking point that was HIV in the late 70s to early 2000s compared to now where it barely elicits a a byline anywhere as we have become accustomed to it's existence and have made lifestyle choices around it.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » September 21st, 2020, 6:52 pm

can anybody give me a good reason why the beach is closed right now?

once is groups under 5, I doh see a problem

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abducted » September 21st, 2020, 7:19 pm

paid_influencer wrote:can anybody give me a good reason why the beach is closed right now?

Did the virus say it will only attack if there are more than 5 people together?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » September 21st, 2020, 8:12 pm

paid_influencer wrote:can anybody give me a good reason why the beach is closed right now?

You ever see a beach get together with 5 or less ?

It is NOT normal in any circumstance.

Looks like you are a party of one.

So you can go to the beach and it will be lawful .

So sad :roll:

Send us photos :roll:

One man, one beer :lol: :lol:

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 21st, 2020, 8:16 pm

same thing with closing hardwares and groceries on some days and cut off times altered.

covid does attack in the night?

stupes, typical gov again.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 21st, 2020, 8:19 pm

The beaches are totally safe, however given the closures of bars and other forms of entertainment, beach limes will be huge, thus spreading covid like wild fire.

But if they regulate it to groups of 5, then I don't see much risk.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » September 21st, 2020, 8:59 pm

yeah, but no one could really manage crowds on a beach or a river especially with not much forms of recreation available, can you really imagine what will happen?

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 21st, 2020, 9:01 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:[list=][/list]
redmanjp wrote:no. 5- can't wear masks if u eating & drinking - hence the risks. and with airborne (as opposed to droplet) transmission i not sure that 6 feet rule without masks is enough

It's not, but let people decide if they want to risk it. Once they're not high risk or live with high risk persons, I see nothing wrong.

and that's probably what happened with at least one case- 1 person got infected by staying home and getting infected with a family member- that person is now dead

the virus spreads from person to person to person- it will reach high risk persons- u can't just say let them risk it- they not risking their own lives (although a couple ppl in their 30s did die) but will spread the virus around which eventually reaches high risk groups

buy yuh beer & drink it home :drinking:

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » September 21st, 2020, 9:05 pm

i cyar remember the last time I see a chip chip

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » September 21st, 2020, 10:09 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:The beaches are totally safe, however given the closures of bars and other forms of entertainment, beach limes will be huge, thus spreading covid like wild fire.

But if they regulate it to groups of 5, then I don't see much risk.

Beaches are NOT safe . Regulate ? EVERY local hole in the wall rum shop open

T&T RUM crowds cannot be regulated .

Beaches is one of the major areas that the virus propagates .

Exactly how do you regulate 5 people ? :lol: :lol:

THEY cannot even regulate on land , you really think THEY can regulate in the sea .

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 21st, 2020, 10:30 pm

Post police to drive out people when it gets to a certain density.

They have to keep it sparse and keep away any more persons.

I personally, I was thinking of a reservation system like cinemas.
U reserve ur date for specific beaches and ur only allowed to remain with that pass. Each beachwill have a max cpapcity.

But really, its easier to just station police to keep people spaced.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 21st, 2020, 10:43 pm

Bro they can't even regulate licence office appointments, they will regulate a big open beach? :lol:

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 21st, 2020, 10:45 pm

sMASH wrote:Post police to drive out people when it gets to a certain density.

They have to keep it sparse and keep away any more persons.

I personally, I was thinking of a reservation system like cinemas.
U reserve ur date for specific beaches and ur only allowed to remain with that pass. Each beachwill have a max cpapcity.

But really, its easier to just station police to keep people spaced.

I can see a online reservation system working for every track in Manzan. I can also see police posted at every hole between Salibia and Matlot. Good ideas man, good ideas

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”