TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Has your microwave clock jumped 20mins fast?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SMc
punchin NOS

Re: Has your microwave clock jumped 20mins fast?

Postby SMc » April 8th, 2021, 12:24 pm

I used to live in Barbados- I took some stuff like clock radio etc from home rather than buy new when I got there and this was a common thing with the digital clocks- nobody told me this before but I just end up ignoring the clock in the end and got a wall clock

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 8th, 2021, 12:44 pm

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » April 8th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Sooo the time on my car deck run fast by about 2 mins every month. Does this mean something wrong with my car.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 8th, 2021, 1:12 pm

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » April 8th, 2021, 1:21 pm

fokhan_96 wrote:Sooo the time on my car deck run fast by about 2 mins every month. Does this mean something wrong with my car.

Well yuh know what to do...

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » April 8th, 2021, 2:17 pm

This happened to me as well a few weeks ago.

I was like WTH when I saw it the first time because I had never seen my stove clock speed up before.

I reset and it speeded up again.

But all seems to be normal now.

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » April 8th, 2021, 2:58 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Image

You trying to show off that you can't spell?

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » April 8th, 2021, 3:39 pm

WTF!!

YES!!

I thought I was going crazy. Both microwave and stove went ahead 30 minutes

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 8th, 2021, 10:07 pm

At random times all clocks by me (except the wrist watches) jump 5 mins ahead. Both battery and plug in clocks. They all do this on the same day and time. Go to work and everything normal come home and everything 5 mins fast. Two wall clocks (battery), microwave clock, projection wall clock (plug in) and $10 store battery clock.

I was trying to notice a pattern to put sense to what is happening but can't figure it out. It has not happened for this year so far but has me freaked out.

BUG
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BUG » April 8th, 2021, 11:17 pm

I've adjusted the time twice in 2 weeks, out by 20 minutes. Thought someone was playing tricks on me

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » April 9th, 2021, 1:44 am

Will have to chk my elec-eng bud, but this shud fix,, plug in microwave and stove.. pas de probleme

phreakazoid
Trinituner Peong

Postby phreakazoid » April 9th, 2021, 7:17 am

This is more evidence to prove that we live in a simulation. We can't even trust the time. Who knows what is the real time anymore... sigh 0X

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 9th, 2021, 7:19 am

My wife does set it lol.
Rovin wrote:well i must be d only man who never bothered to ever set clock on my mw & stove ...

Sōsuke Aizen
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Sōsuke Aizen » April 13th, 2021, 9:27 pm

MG Man wrote:Not sure how to check this 20 minute thing. Help pls

You sickening

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » April 14th, 2021, 7:54 am

no microwave no care lol

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » April 14th, 2021, 8:12 am

Sōsuke Aizen wrote:
MG Man wrote:Not sure how to check this 20 minute thing. Help pls

You sickening

you sexy

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 2nd, 2022, 10:40 pm

maj. tom wrote:
adnj wrote:
maj. tom wrote:The 50/60 Hz in EU/SA is apparently an extremely important thing in Utility Frequency and they use atomic clocks to sync it exactly because it is used in any and everything with a microchip that controls time signals. Including the railways.

Sorry but that is referencing an analog clock circuit.

All digital circuits have a DC supply. DC is necessary to latch the transistors in the logic circuits. AC supplies are rectified and stepped down typically to the 1.0V to 24V range which is then provided to the board.

hmm ok, i understand. A microchip would generate a clock frequency using a piezo-crystal or an oscillator circuit using pure DC. I was thinking that a timer IC would use a dedicated half wave rectified signal waveform to generate pulses and then perform calculations on the function for an output at the required frequency. like this diagram:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/po ... ation.html

Thanks for clearing that up.

So I was kind of half-way correct in my assumption btw. Been looking though some service manuals. This design is quite common in kitchen appliances. Not all appliances rely on an internal clock piezo crystal, they in fact do sync with commercial power AC frequency. Because it's cheaper, and because the application does not require precise timekeeping.

These are descriptions from several microwave oven service manuals on what the control circuit does and how it acquires the timing signal from a rectified AC signal. As in my diagram above.

In one service manual I even found an entire description with diagrams of how this synchronous circuit generates the timing signal from the AC frequency supply.

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:“Most digital clocks in microwaves are frequency based. North America is on a 60 cycle frequency, it keeps time based on that, if the frequency of the AC increases, the clock will run faster, and if the frequency decreases, it will run slower. Are you on "shore power" or "generator power" ? Depending on the input frequency, the microwave clock will either be accurate (60 Hz), fast (>60Hz) or slow (<60Hz)”

So just to re-bump this topic, yes this explanation is correct. TTEC... well the power generation company really... has been sending a wonky 60 Hz frequency signal to the nation. Any devices not synced to a network and that relies on this AC frequency is not going to be accurate time at all.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 3rd, 2022, 8:16 am

maj. tom wrote:
maj. tom wrote:
adnj wrote:
maj. tom wrote:The 50/60 Hz in EU/SA is apparently an extremely important thing in Utility Frequency and they use atomic clocks to sync it exactly because it is used in any and everything with a microchip that controls time signals. Including the railways.

Sorry but that is referencing an analog clock circuit.

All digital circuits have a DC supply. DC is necessary to latch the transistors in the logic circuits. AC supplies are rectified and stepped down typically to the 1.0V to 24V range which is then provided to the board.

hmm ok, i understand. A microchip would generate a clock frequency using a piezo-crystal or an oscillator circuit using pure DC. I was thinking that a timer IC would use a dedicated half wave rectified signal waveform to generate pulses and then perform calculations on the function for an output at the required frequency. like this diagram:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/po ... ation.html

Thanks for clearing that up.

So I was kind of half-way correct in my assumption btw. Been looking though some service manuals. This design is quite common in kitchen appliances. Not all appliances rely on an internal clock piezo crystal, they in fact do sync with commercial power AC frequency. Because it's cheaper, and because the application does not require precise timekeeping.

These are descriptions from several microwave oven service manuals on what the control circuit does and how it acquires the timing signal from a rectified AC signal. As in my diagram above.

In one service manual I even found an entire description with diagrams of how this synchronous circuit generates the timing signal from the AC frequency supply.

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:“Most digital clocks in microwaves are frequency based. North America is on a 60 cycle frequency, it keeps time based on that, if the frequency of the AC increases, the clock will run faster, and if the frequency decreases, it will run slower. Are you on "shore power" or "generator power" ? Depending on the input frequency, the microwave clock will either be accurate (60 Hz), fast (>60Hz) or slow (<60Hz)”

So just to re-bump this topic, yes this explanation is correct. TTEC... well the power generation company really... has been sending a wonky 60 Hz frequency signal to the nation. Any devices not synced to a network and that relies on this AC frequency is not going to be accurate time at all.

Well, no.

The circuit that you attached looks a lot like a PWM circuit to my eyes. It is likely used to control the cooking power by switching the HV transformer.

There have been designs that latched the AC signal to track time in kitchen appliances and clock radios but those were designs prior to the internet age.

Although AC cycle timekeeping is fairly accurate, an IC works better and is less expensive. If it can be programmed with a keypad, it almost certainly has a microcontroller.

Here's a generic microwave control circuit.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » May 3rd, 2022, 10:17 am

DMan7 wrote:
fokhan_96 wrote:Sooo the time on my car deck run fast by about 2 mins every month. Does this mean something wrong with my car.

Well yuh know what to do...

]

Tiidas were never meant to have anything in them that works properly , including the driver.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 3rd, 2022, 2:02 pm

The microwave and stove clock still runs fast every so often.
I assume other people still experiencing this also?

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » May 3rd, 2022, 2:22 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:The microwave and stove clock still runs fast every so often.
Yup, I would set the correct time on both and after a few days I realize that both are 5 minutes faster.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 3rd, 2022, 4:14 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:The microwave and stove clock still runs fast every so often.

Correct. Ironic though that this has come up again because just last week I saw the oven clock (electric) off by 5 minutes.

Battery powered clock on the wall runs like normal.

Clock in car loses its 2 minutes consistently for the past 15 years or so. LOL.

Zim
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Zim » May 9th, 2022, 1:45 pm

Rovin wrote:well i must be d only man who never bothered to ever set clock on my mw & stove ...

Makes 3 of us, mine is on 000 since installed

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”