TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
pugboy
TunerGod

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby pugboy » January 28th, 2016, 5:32 am

not in local conditions of heat, aircon use etc.

they have battery making down to a science now, usually they die just after warrantee

*$kїđž!™ wrote:What battery do you guys use in your hilux...?

My battery is just two years old but I have noticed a lazy start recently....

So i am guessing its the battery.....but i expect it to last longer than two years.....

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » January 29th, 2016, 12:48 am

My original battery is 4 years 6 months old and still going strong

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » January 29th, 2016, 8:37 pm

equipped2ripp wrote:My original battery is 4 years 6 months old and still going strong

What brand of battery is this?....

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 29th, 2016, 9:03 pm

equipped2ripp wrote:My original battery is 4 years 6 months old and still going strong

I am betting that in that time you did about 40000 km

richgold1000
3NE 2NR for life

Postby richgold1000 » January 30th, 2016, 7:02 am

richgold1000 wrote:Guys I am looking for Toyota 1kd d4d EGR valve

Anyone

red bwoy
Riding on 16's

Postby red bwoy » February 21st, 2016, 8:18 pm

Check seenaths in Bamboo they have a complete engine not sure if dey parting out also you can check ROC/Inshan Ishmael

TSSL
Riding on 13's

Postby TSSL » February 23rd, 2016, 7:11 am

*$kїđž!™ wrote:
pugboy wrote:toyota uses wynns

Any idea of the price...

Saw a liqui moly diesel additive for $50 at one shop then the common rail one at another shop for $110....why d huge difference in price?.

Two different additives, check their page for more info http://www.liquimolytt.com/#!additives-for-diesel/crx2

TSSL
Riding on 13's

Postby TSSL » February 23rd, 2016, 7:13 am

*$kїđž!™ wrote:
pugboy wrote:toyota uses wynns

Any idea of the price...

Saw a liqui moly diesel additive for $50 at one shop then the common rail one at another shop for $110....why d huge difference in price?.

Two different additives, check their page for more info http://www.liquimolytt.com/#!additives-for-diesel/crx2

TSSL
Riding on 13's

Postby TSSL » February 23rd, 2016, 7:18 am

*$kїđž!™ wrote:what do u use to clean injectors...heard someone mention liquid moly for the common rail?

The Liqui Moly commonn rail additive is an additive to pour into the fuel, they also have a product called Diesel Purge to clean the fuel system directly, they have more a video on their website about it. www.liquimolytt.com

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » February 23rd, 2016, 9:49 am

*$kїđž![TRADE MARK SIGN] wrote:

What brand of battery is this?....

GS

PariaMan wrote:

I am betting that in that time you did about 40000 km

93xxx kms

Ended up changing it the week after Carnival because the vehicle was parked up for over a week and it wasn't taking charge when I tried to charge it.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » March 13th, 2016, 2:31 am

*$kїđž!™ wrote:What battery do you guys use in your hilux...?

My battery is just two years old but I have noticed a lazy start recently....

So i am guessing its the battery.....but i expect it to last longer than two years.....

I also noticed my OEM GS battery giving a lazy start; replaced with a Rocket for ~ $800 (think it is a 14/15 plate with 860 Cranking amps)

Was hoping to get a Yuasa Diesel Power 1000 Cranking amps for about ~ $1100 (The one that my dad replaced in his lux, with the same rocket above lasted 4 Years 10 Months; manual 2.5)

My GS battery can still start the lux but I am only using it as a spare and have it hooked up to a CTEK battery charger to maintain charge

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » March 19th, 2016, 12:52 am

Thinking about a turbo timer.....I have read much debate as to whether they are necessary or not.....what do u guys think?..is it really a waste of money?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » March 22nd, 2016, 2:15 am

Now there is no doubt that the turbo has to cool down after spirited/high speed driving. The question you have to ask yourself is how much is your time worth to you.
If it is worth it for you to get out the vehicle as soon as you reach your destination; invest in a timer (i think it should cost less than $1000 to buy and install)
On the other hand if you can wait the 1-2 minutes in the vehicle when you arrive at your destination and or slow down when you are getting close to your destination; you can save the money

I saved myself some money :)
I use the time to put up my sun-visor and check my phone before i exit the vehicle.

i could be wrong here but i think the turbo in the KDs are solely oil cooled.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » March 22nd, 2016, 7:24 am

Yeah kamakazi. I also take my time to get out and grab my stuff but sometimes I really need to jump out and go....esp when I am late for work.....the van is used by other family members who may not have the patience too so I have no idea what they do so I M thinking is best to put it in.....also if they are oil cooled then it makes it wiser to Invest in.....but I think if it was necessary it would have been factory installed...

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » March 22nd, 2016, 9:12 am

kamakazi wrote:Now there is no doubt that the turbo has to cool down after spirited/high speed driving. The question you have to ask yourself is how much is your time worth to you.
If it is worth it for you to get out the vehicle as soon as you reach your destination; invest in a timer (i think it should cost less than $1000 to buy and install)
On the other hand if you can wait the 1-2 minutes in the vehicle when you arrive at your destination and or slow down when you are getting close to your destination; you can save the money

I use the time to put up my sun-visor and check my phone before i exit the vehicle.

so true. good answer. i get this question all the time. it really depends on driving habits. if you are the type of person who drives fast/spirited driving and then switch off engine right after, then get a turbo timer. for me a turbo timer is your front gate, get home, leave engine idling, open front gate, drive inside- cheapest turbo timer ever.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » March 22nd, 2016, 10:06 am

Now the manual states to let the vehicle idle for a specific time(i cant recall exactly how long) after sustained highway driving at 80Kmph and 100Kmph. That's there reason/excuse for not installing one from the factory... :)

I am not sure if turbocharged vehicles come with timers from any manufacturer for that matter; If so there aren't that many.

I remember reading a similar warning on a subaru WRX that was stuck in the cabin near the ignition...:)

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » March 22nd, 2016, 10:17 pm

Team Loco wrote:
kamakazi wrote:Now there is no doubt that the turbo has to cool down after spirited/high speed driving. The question you have to ask yourself is how much is your time worth to you.

so true. good answer. i get this question all the time. it really depends on driving habits. if you are the type of person who drives fast/spirited driving and then switch off engine right after, then get a turbo timer. for me a turbo timer is your front gate, get home, leave engine idling, open front gate, drive inside- cheapest turbo timer ever.

What if u have a gate motor on your gate?...opens without having to get out your van ..lol.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » March 22nd, 2016, 10:21 pm

kamakazi wrote:Now the manual states to let the vehicle idle for a specific time(i cant recall exactly how long) after sustained highway driving at 80Kmph and 100Kmph. That's there reason/excuse for not installing one from the factory... :)

I am not sure if turbocharged vehicles come with timers from any manufacturer for that matter; If so there aren't that many.

I remember reading a similar warning on a subaru WRX that was stuck in the cabin near the ignition...:)

The book says.....
Under 80 km....normally city driving...no need for idle down..
At 80km .....idle for 20 seconds.
At 100km and above....idle for one minute.....

I got one installed today...oem fit so it looks like factory installed....
Has automatic mode so it adjust itself automatically to determine how long van needs to idle before engine cuts off....So this mode is good for me....just to be on the safe side.....if it needs to idle down it will....if not it will cut off once I turn ignition off..

GVTrini07
3NE 2NR for life

Postby GVTrini07 » March 24th, 2016, 7:35 am

*$kїđž!™ wrote:
kamakazi wrote:Now the manual states to let the vehicle idle for a specific time(i cant recall exactly how long) after sustained highway driving at 80Kmph and 100Kmph. That's there reason/excuse for not installing one from the factory... :)

The book says.....
Under 80 km....normally city driving...no need for idle down..
At 80km .....idle for 20 seconds.
At 100km and above....idle for one minute.....

I got one installed today...oem fit so it looks like factory installed....
Has automatic mode so it adjust itself automatically to determine how long van needs to idle before engine cuts off....So this mode is good for me....just to be on the safe side.....if it needs to idle down it will....if not it will cut off once I turn ignition off..

Had one installed (Miccon brand) and once vehicle swiched off, the 4 wheel lock light on cluster came on (Manual 4x4). After 1 month I removed it. What would cause the this?

BlackOps2
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BlackOps2 » March 24th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Hey guys.. Not sure if already discussed in thread before. I currently have a 2012 hilux vigo with a K&N air filter installed. Heard some reputable techs say leave it and jus use the recharger kit later on. Heard some others saying change it at the 5000km service interval.. What's your take on it?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » March 24th, 2016, 9:26 pm

K&N
Some report problems due to oil deposits on the mass airflow sensor. Personally I believe that K&N is a poor filter and I would replace it. It is your vehicle though and if you want to keep it installed.... I think the literature states 50000kms before recharging

My solution is a bit ....different
I am currently using a sakura air filter that is lightly coated with K&N filter oil. Replaced my original after 35000kms

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 5th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Just some info i came across for those wondering about 2SO in diesel

http://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-highway/truth-adding-two-stroke-oil-diesel-modern-common-rail-engines/

Anyone ever tried??

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » April 5th, 2016, 6:58 pm

kamakazi wrote:K&N
Some report problems due to oil deposits on the mass airflow sensor. Personally I believe that K&N is a poor filter and I would replace it. It is your vehicle though and if you want to keep it installed.... I think the literature states 50000kms before recharging

My solution is a bit ....different
I am currently using a sakura air filter that is lightly coated with K&N filter oil. Replaced my original after 35000kms

I changed my air filter at 25000kms but I blow it out at every service with a compressor....it's just $100 aftermarket one...so I will change it every 15000kms from here on....just my personal choice....same with fuel filter.....

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 9th, 2016, 7:18 am

Personally a regular filter and you would be fine. Really can't see the whole idea of a k&n

G-DUB
3NE 2NR for life

Postby G-DUB » April 13th, 2016, 10:05 am

I have a 2012-2013 Hilux with an issue and wanted to know if anyone else has had the same issue and how to fix it.
Issue is when the bonnet is closed there is a slight play in the bonnet striker plate and the bonnet latch or lock. I adjusted the bonnet rubbers up and it stopped the knocking noise i was getting but there is a noticeable gap in the fender and the bonnet also the latch or lock dosen`t have any kind of adjustment.
Anyone out there that had this issue your help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ronnie203
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ronnie203 » April 18th, 2016, 2:54 pm

Guys, looking for a set of Disc pads for a 2013 4x4 Hilux

Where/who (Besides TTTL) have

thanks

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » April 18th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Ronnie203 wrote:Guys, looking for a set of Disc pads for a 2013 4x4 Hilux

Where/who (Besides TTTL) have

thanks

ROC in the Bamboo

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » May 10th, 2016, 3:34 pm

All,

I have a 2012 Hilux 3.0, 4x2. Does anyone know how much fluid is required when doing a rear-differential drain and refill. Manual says 1 liter but that seems kinda low. I would also appreciate any recommendations for fluid brands (spec. is 75w-90 GL4 or GL5)

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: RE: Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » May 10th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Rainman wrote:All,

I have a 2012 Hilux 3.0, 4x2. Does anyone know how much fluid is required when doing a rear-differential drain and refill. Manual says 1 liter but that seems kinda low. I would also appreciate any recommendations for fluid brands (spec. is 75w-90 GL4 or GL5)

Search this thread for diff fluid and you will see a post that I made concerning the change.

You need approx 3 quarts

I wanted to save money so I purchased Valvoline 80w90 high performance gear oil gl5

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: RE: Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby Rainman » May 10th, 2016, 6:35 pm

kamakazi wrote:
Rainman wrote:All,

Search this thread for diff fluid and you will see a post that I made concerning the change.

You need approx 3 quarts

I wanted to save money so I purchased Valvoline 80w90 high performance gear oil gl5

Saw it. Thanks man.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”