TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby *KRONIK* » November 5th, 2018, 6:31 am

msg1 wrote:
msg1 wrote:Thx a lot for the info...so the SR5 owns newer models then...?

Well in terms of pulling power etc
Not really,
They all capable of the same kind of work

turbohead
18 pounds of Boost

Postby turbohead » November 6th, 2018, 12:41 am

hello fellow toyota hiluxians, i just decided to pop in and say hi.. first time logging in to tuner since like forever

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 7th, 2018, 10:54 am

Guys, wanted to get some advice for upgrades to a 3.0L D4D 2013 Fortuner with the 1KD Engine, model KUN51, so I'm hoping this is a suitable forum.

Planning to upgrade the brakes, suspension and eventually tyres/wheels, in that order. Currently everything is stock firm setup. Here's what I'd like some thoughts and advice on...

1) The current stock brakes are not the best so anyone can give some recommendations for upgraded brake kits inclusive of the rotor, calipers, brakes, etc.? I saw a previous post with the DBA brakes, but anyone has other recommendations?

2) What about recommendation for suspension upgrades? Not looking for too much lift, so was thinking an Old Man Emu to give up to a maximum of 2" lift. Didn't want to go higher as I don't want to put added strain on other components.

3) Tyres and Wheels will follow once I do those other upgrades and not looking to go bigger than 33", provided the lift can accommodate those tyres. BFG All-Terrain T/A LT285/70R17 was recommended by a colleague as he's running these on his Hilux Vigo (mind you his Hilux was significantly modified for Off Road to take 35" tyres, but he's since eased up the off roading and running these BFG on stock 17" rims).

4) If these components are being upgraded should other components such as shock mounts, velocity joints, universal joints, steering components be upgraded as well? What about re-ratioing transmission - is that necessary with 33" tyres?

5) Lastly - I maintain the vehicle by the firm but looking for a top of the line mechanic for future maintenance and to do these intended upgrades (Chaguanas and environs preferred). Also desirous of having the EGR valve checked and/or cleaned. Anyone ever done this?

Thoughts and advice welcome.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 9th, 2018, 6:52 am

how handy are you ?
it is not hard to change oil yourself if you are half decent with a spanner or at least get someone to show you first.

carluva wrote:Guys, wanted to get some advice for upgrades to a 3.0L D4D 2013 Fortuner with the 1KD Engine, model KUN51, so I'm hoping this is a suitable forum.

Planning to upgrade the brakes, suspension and eventually tyres/wheels, in that order. Currently everything is stock firm setup. Here's what I'd like some thoughts and advice on...

1) The current stock brakes are not the best so anyone can give some recommendations for upgraded brake kits inclusive of the rotor, calipers, brakes, etc.? I saw a previous post with the DBA brakes, but anyone has other recommendations?

2) What about recommendation for suspension upgrades? Not looking for too much lift, so was thinking an Old Man Emu to give up to a maximum of 2" lift. Didn't want to go higher as I don't want to put added strain on other components.

3) Tyres and Wheels will follow once I do those other upgrades and not looking to go bigger than 33", provided the lift can accommodate those tyres. BFG All-Terrain T/A LT285/70R17 was recommended by a colleague as he's running these on his Hilux Vigo (mind you his Hilux was significantly modified for Off Road to take 35" tyres, but he's since eased up the off roading and running these BFG on stock 17" rims).

4) If these components are being upgraded should other components such as shock mounts, velocity joints, universal joints, steering components be upgraded as well? What about re-ratioing transmission - is that necessary with 33" tyres?

5) Lastly - I maintain the vehicle by the firm but looking for a top of the line mechanic for future maintenance and to do these intended upgrades (Chaguanas and environs preferred). Also desirous of having the EGR valve checked and/or cleaned. Anyone ever done this?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 9th, 2018, 7:21 am

carluva wrote:Guys, wanted to get some advice for upgrades to a 3.0L D4D 2013 Fortuner with the 1KD Engine, model KUN51, so I'm hoping this is a suitable forum.

Lemme see how i can help you here.

The fortuner is based on the kun25/26 hilux, so a lot of the engine and suspension components are interchangable.

1)brakes:
the stock brakes work fine, not sure why, but the set you get on the van alwayd work likr crap.and thr rotors warp easily.
The best suggestion is to install a new set of rotors; OE or aftermarket with new pads.
I can link you with new OE pads if you want, as well as aftermarket stoptech rotors.

2) lift:
Old man emu is a great option for a loft, but sometimes the height achieved can be unprrdictable. Westbourne trading in Aranguez is the dealer for ARB; Old Man Emu.
When you lift up to 3”, you may get some camber issues as the stock adjustment can run out, this could mean new aftermarket upper control arms.
Some men does get lucky, others dont. Also, at 3” you may need to do a diff drop to correct CV angles and a sway bar relocation.
At 1.5-2.25” everything stays and works within the factory specs.
If you doing it at westbourne, the owner will advise you on what will work and whats needed.
Option 2 is to go with a bilstein lift, westbourne can assist with that also, ot you can check monster mods inc.om facebook.
They did a bess fortuner recently.

3) tires:
The main reason for a lift is to get more space to put bigger tires, to get more ground clearance. The BFG 285/70/17 is a 32.7” tire.
That will require an almost 3” lift to fit without touching, also keep in mind the offset of the stock wheel with a big tire MAY cause the tire to touch the UCA. So keep that in mind. Its a great tire, all the reviews are usually good.

4) suspension components:
As mentioned before, usually, the person installing the kit will advise you on whats needed. Reason for that is that there are some things can work, some things that should work, and some things that wont work.
Eg: a diff drop solves any issues with the CV angles.
After market upper control arms will solve camber issues.
A sway bar relocation kit will solve any touching issues with that.
Its always recommended to install new shock mounts. Most aftermarket kits come with it. Again; the seller/installer will advise you.
At 33” your gearing will be just fine, so leave well enough alone.

5) as for maintenance, there are toyota mechanics all over the country.
I can link you with 1, but he in deep south.
If you want something closer you can probably try chaguanas auto supplies.

Hope this helps

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 9th, 2018, 10:38 am

pugboy wrote:how handy are you ?
it is not hard to change oil yourself if you are half decent with a spanner or at least get someone to show you first.
[/quote]

Its not that sort of thing I need to sort out. I am more interested in more technical repairs such as EGR valve cleaning and servicing and/or EGR blanking, diesel flushes, transmission flushes and someone to competently handle the upgrades being planned.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 9th, 2018, 11:02 am

*KRONIK* wrote:Lemme see how i can help you here.

The fortuner is based on the kun25/26 hilux, so a lot of the engine and suspension components are interchangable.

1)brakes:
the stock brakes work fine, not sure why, but the set you get on the van alwayd work likr crap.and thr rotors warp easily.
The best suggestion is to install a new set of rotors; OE or aftermarket with new pads.
I can link you with new OE pads if you want, as well as aftermarket stoptech rotors.

2) lift:
Old man emu is a great option for a loft, but sometimes the height achieved can be unprrdictable. Westbourne trading in Aranguez is the dealer for ARB; Old Man Emu.
When you lift up to 3”, you may get some camber issues as the stock adjustment can run out, this could mean new aftermarket upper control arms.
Some men does get lucky, others dont. Also, at 3” you may need to do a diff drop to correct CV angles and a sway bar relocation.
At 1.5-2.25” everything stays and works within the factory specs.
If you doing it at westbourne, the owner will advise you on what will work and whats needed.
Option 2 is to go with a bilstein lift, westbourne can assist with that also, ot you can check monster mods inc.om facebook.

3) tires:
The main reason for a lift is to get more space to put bigger tires, to get more ground clearance. The BFG 285/70/17 is a 32.7” tire.
That will require an almost 3” lift to fit without touching, also keep in mind the offset of the stock wheel with a big tire MAY cause the tire to touch the UCA. So keep that in mind. Its a great tire, all the reviews are usually good.

4) suspension components:
As mentioned before, usually, the person installing the kit will advise you on whats needed. Reason for that is that there are some things can work, some things that should work, and some things that wont work.
Eg: a diff drop solves any issues with the CV angles.
After market upper control arms will solve camber issues.
A sway bar relocation kit will solve any touching issues with that.
Its always recommended to install new shock mounts. Most aftermarket kits come with it. Again; the seller/installer will advise you.
At 33” your gearing will be just fine, so leave well enough alone.

5) as for maintenance, there are toyota mechanics all over the country.
I can link you with 1, but he in deep south.
If you want something closer you can probably try chaguanas auto supplies.

Hope this helps

Thanks Kronik. Here's some added info....

1) Brakes: For some reason I find the brakes to be sluggish and weak. I'm the second owner of the vehicle and when I bought it from the first owner two years ago, with 56,000 km on it, the vehicle was just coming out of warranty. I took it to TTTL for a complete service and on the way down the highway, I noticed that the vehicle steering was wobbly and vibrated when braking. TTTL replaced the two rotors (under warranty) and the pads and the problem was solved. 20,000 km later I find that this problem is resurfacing so most likely the rotor is giving some issues again. This and the retarded braking. So I'm looking to move away from the OEM rotors and brake pads and go with aftermarket. Made some calls about the DBA rotors and pads and waiting on some prices. How do the Stoptech compare to the DBA in terms of performance and price? Can you send me some more information on what you have Re: rotors and pads?

2) and 4) Suspension and components: Contacted West Bourne on the suspension. Got info on a 2" OME lift which keeps everything working within stock specs. Was advised that the OME suspension kit contains everything for a complete replacement. Was looking at Bilstein as well... West Bourne does Bilstien as well? Anyone else does it? I looked online but found that there was more information to choose a OME based on Vehicle Model number than the Bilstein so that's why I was a bit confused on how to choose Bilstein. I don't want to go higher than 2" for reasons you stated - I think a diff drop defeats the purpose of a lift cause you go back to the original ground clearance for the diff. With a 2" lift, at least there is some added ground clearance overall especially when the bigger tyres are fitted.

3) Tyres: Will discuss the potential tyres under consideration with the persons doing the Suspension lift to ensure what can and cannot be done with the tyres, for e.g. the BFG I mentioned. If I use wheels with a bigger positive offset than the stock wheel, a broader tyre would be able to fit without touching... However, the tyres would protrude from the fender, which I understand to not be legal... In a case as this, would fender flares be needed and if so, would the aftermarket offerings be able to make the vehicle "legal" once more?

5) Mechanics: That's the problem, although they are all over the country, I don't know any of them so that's why I need recommendations. How "deep" is "deep South" for your link?

Found monster mods on FB... will give them a call.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 9th, 2018, 11:21 am

If you need the contact for the stoptech rotors let me know
I believe its 1500 for a pair

Streetwise performance has the DBA for 3200 a pair.

I have original pads for the hilux/fortuner
900 a set.

I now installed the DBA on mine
So i wont give a review, but so far they working good, i never tried the stoptech.
The OE hilux brakes seem to be natrually defective from talking to other hilux owners
Most say at least once they would have had changed rotors.

If you dealing with jerome at westbourne, you wont have any issues. He knows his stuff and wont advise you wrong. Just be prepared: good thing not cheap.
He also stocks the DBA rotors and pads.
I know he did a bilstein lift on a hilux a while back, so you can ask him about it.
If you still considering the bilstein, check out monster mods

https://www.facebook.com/MonsterModsInc/

You can add fender flares to stay legal.
Not sure whats available for the fortuner locally.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » November 9th, 2018, 11:31 am

PariaMan wrote:What about 275 70 17
My old.mazda fitting 265 70 17 .. will double check

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 9th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Just checking around online and saw these after using the parts catalogue on Brembo's site:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-09B62710-BR ... :rk:1:pf:0

Which seem to be compatible with the Toyota Rotor with Part Number 435120K140.

Thoughts?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 9th, 2018, 2:56 pm

carluva wrote:Just checking around online and saw these after using the parts catalogue on Brembo's site:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-09B62710-BR ... :rk:1:pf:0

Which seem to be compatible with the Toyota Rotor with Part Number 435120K140.

Thoughts?
Yes
These will work just fine
Weigh out your options with shipping
A rotor is around 17-20lbs

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 9th, 2018, 3:26 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:
you can check monster mods inc.om facebook.

Saw the Fortuner. Some serious lift... One thing I cannot understand, why put all this lift if you running low profile SUV "performance tyres" unless these were swapped out for proper A/T tyres after this pic was taken. The lift looks good, the wheels and tyres, meh.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 9th, 2018, 3:29 pm

carluva wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:

Saw the Fortuner. Some serious lift... One thing I cannot understand, why put all this lift if you running low profile SUV "performance tyres" unless these were swapped out for proper A/T tyres after this pic was taken. The lift looks good, the wheels and tyres, meh.

Like you miss the finished product?

FB_IMG_1541791785673.jpeg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 9th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Shoot - yeh boy, I did. That's more like it!

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 9th, 2018, 4:47 pm

carluva wrote:Shoot - yeh boy, I did. That's more like it!
I hope it inspires you

We waiting for pics

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » November 9th, 2018, 7:42 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:
carluva wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:

Like you miss the finished product?

FB_IMG_1541791785673.jpg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 9th, 2018, 8:24 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:
carluva wrote:Shoot - yeh boy, I did. That's more like it!
I hope it inspires you

We waiting for pics

Will be a lil while for pics. Possible early 2019. Doh expect it to look anything like that black one... have no desire to kit it out so heavily.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 16th, 2018, 11:17 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:On a side note

20181030_192154.jpg
Have you installed these as yet? What coils did you use and did you get any additional lift?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 17th, 2018, 6:13 am

carluva wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:On a side note

20181030_192154.jpg
Have you installed these as yet? What coils did you use and did you get any additional lift?
Yes
They on the van now

Stock coils

1.75” lift

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby carluva » November 17th, 2018, 8:50 am

Are these the 5100s?

1.75" of lift with stock coils. What was an approximate stock lift?

Did you have to preload the coils to get the lift?

And hows the ride quality now?
Last edited by carluva on November 17th, 2018, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 17th, 2018, 8:50 am

Btw can you send a before and after pic?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 18th, 2018, 12:14 pm

carluva wrote:Are these the 5100s?

1.75" of lift with stock coils. What was an approximate stock lift?

Did you have to preload the coils to get the lift?

And hows the ride quality now?
Yes
5100 series

The spring saucer is adjustable so you can set it at varying heights from .5” to 2.5”

Yes
Coil need to be preloaded, but not my much.

Ride quality: best modification/money spent on this van so far

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 18th, 2018, 12:19 pm

carluva wrote:Btw can you send a before and after pic?

Before

and after

Back end to be lifted still with 2” lift comfort shackles

20181114_105953.jpeg
20180715_094556.jpeg
20181104_112933.jpeg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 18th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Suweet!!!!

Ride looks tops. You gonna upgrade the wheels as well?

Stock coils have a high lb/in value? That's why didn't have to preload much?

Approx how much for a pair of front and rear bilstein shocks? You buy locally or brought them in yourself?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 18th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Planning out the mods for next year. Will change rotors and pads first. Suspension will change, but evaluating whether I want to take a new bumper/bar, as heavier coils will be needed for the heavier front. Then the snorkel and K&N and last, new wheels (thinking TRD as eBay has some gorgeous wheels in TRD). That should take a few months of work as $$$ is a factor.

Thinking ARB OME, but currently dribbling over bilstein.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 18th, 2018, 4:48 pm

carluva wrote:Suweet!!!!

Ride looks tops. You gonna upgrade the wheels as well?

Stock coils have a high lb/in value? That's why didn't have to preload much?

Approx how much for a pair of front and rear bilstein shocks? You buy locally or brought them in yourself?
Wheels.....
That will probably be on hold for quite some time
But yes

Some fuel or black rhino wheels are in the plan
Not sure what tyre yet tho...
Thinking either some BFG or falken A/T
or some toyo open country M/T or nitto trail grapplers

That farrrrrrrr down the road, so i eh studying that now
I go just look like i miss leg day for a long while
Rofl

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 18th, 2018, 4:58 pm

carluva wrote:Planning out the mods for next year. Will change rotors and pads first. Suspension will change, but evaluating whether I want to take a new bumper/bar, as heavier coils will be needed for the heavier front. Then the snorkel and K&N and last, new wheels (thinking TRD as eBay has some gorgeous wheels in TRD). That should take a few months of work as $$$ is a factor.

Thinking ARB OME, but currently dribbling over bilstein.
Yea
Definitely pads and rotors
Mine just started to break in and its making all the difference already
The stopping distance improved quite a bit

Decide if you getting bumper and winch as that will determine which spring set you get for the lift.
You cant put that kind of load on the stock springs, they will sag.

I'm not a fan of snorkels
Too much butchering of the fender and A-pillar to get them in and they still can cause a lot of water to enter the airbox
Plus, i never forsee any situation where i going in that deep of water.

I have the k&n currently, no noticible difference tbh.
But the fact that it reusable is a big plus.

I still think the OME is the better system as the bilstein is a shock only kit
You need to get your own springs
So you will save on trial and error and i not sure what the combos are for the fortuner.

But talk to westbourne, you gonna need to check them for the OME springs either way.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 19th, 2018, 10:54 am

Good point on the snorkel.

I'm just making the van more suitable for these road conditions and country esp as that's the wife's ride and she totes the kids around. I have no desire to take it off road, but at least if the need arises, it is capable. My thoughts on the upgraded bumper/bar were to give the vehicle a bit more "muscle" if she needs to. I always tell her that depending on the situation, use that vehicle as a weapon, but avoid frontal impacts. With the heavier bumper/bar, at least the vehicle has an advantage over the stock bumper. Don't think I need a winch.

A few weeks ago, there was some heavy rain (not the national flooding) and the vehicle went thru water that was as high as the front fog lights. But with the waves being created, some water sloshed up to the bonnet. Was thinking to add the snorkel to help out in situations as that. Plus these snorkels have weep holes to prevent water from entering air filter when driving thru heavy torrential rains.

The raised suspension and eventual larger wheels will give more lift too for highish waters so that could negate the need for a snorkel... Will still do the evaluation on that... I must say, I am getting hyped for these mods... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » November 19th, 2018, 11:12 am

Diff breathers too bro...

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 19th, 2018, 4:03 pm

ADONI wrote:Diff breathers too bro...
Yes

These are next on my list
And i will put these over a snorkel anyday

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”