TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby Rainman » May 10th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Not sure if this was posted before but it's worth the read.

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-con ... arison.pdf

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 13th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Thanks for the info but I must say to be careful not to read to much into marketing hype/bs. Amsoil might make a decent product.... I just think some of its oils way to expensive for what it is. A case of the Valvoline gear oil was less than $700 and that is enough for 2 service where I will only get one service worth of Amsoil for the same price. Don't get me wrong synthetics have there place... It's just my usage scenario isn't extreme enough to warrant it. I also don't like the idea of extended drain intervals. It is almost used as an excuse or reason to justify its additional cost to run in your vehicle. But again I must say... Whatever makes you sleep better at night... :)

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » May 13th, 2016, 3:05 pm

2 services for me would cost 770 with the Amsoil. The 70 is negligible to me for a product that's better.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 13th, 2016, 3:34 pm

You got a point there as you do not have the extra 4wd hardware to deal with.... Longer protection isn't necessarily better.... We also don't have to contend with any sub zero temps.... Sleep is good... :)
Again my thanks for the info

JusWilly
Riding on 13's

Postby JusWilly » August 7th, 2016, 11:02 pm

i have a `91 toyota lowlux want to convert it to diesel any reccomendations and where i can find what i want. Been looking in the bamboo with no luck

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » August 8th, 2016, 6:01 am

That was about the 2c times not so?

JusWilly
Riding on 13's

Postby JusWilly » August 8th, 2016, 12:25 pm

i currenly have the 2y engine in it not sure what u mean by the 2c times

vharripersad
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vharripersad » September 21st, 2016, 5:16 am

My abs light comes on and remains on and abs does not work. If I switch off and back on the light goes off and abs works. Eventually while driving it comes on and remains on. 2012 3.0 4x4 hilux. Unit under warranty. What does this mean?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 21st, 2016, 6:21 pm

I have only ever encountered abs light in one instance and it was in a different vehicle... In that case on of the fuses has burnt out. Which caused it to stop working. The only other things I can think about are different size tyres and probably a damaged wheel speed sensor

vharripersad
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vharripersad » September 22nd, 2016, 8:00 pm

One of my brake light blown. Not sure why abs light will come on intermittently because of a blown brake bulb. Will replace brake bulb tomorrow and see if abs light never ever comes on again.

vharripersad
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vharripersad » September 24th, 2016, 8:00 am

Bulb change so will monitor. YouTube has information on basic checks when abs light is on. Check fluid, fuse and bulb. So apparently any of these faults call intermittently disable abs. What a world of sense

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: RE: Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » September 24th, 2016, 8:11 am

vharripersad wrote:Bulb change so will monitor. YouTube has information on basic checks when abs light is on. Check fluid, fuse and bulb. So apparently any of these faults call intermittently disable abs. What a world of sense

That doesn't sound like sense to me... Why disable abs because of one bulb...I would rather it remain working. I will find out about the bulb later but don't cripple my brake system

vharripersad
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vharripersad » September 24th, 2016, 9:26 am

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 21st, 2016, 8:59 pm

Serviced my vehicle recently
Changed some transmission fluid, some power steering fluid, oil and oil filter, greased u joints in the driveshafts.

Products used
Mobil 1 3309 atf
Castrol dex merc
Gulf fleet force Synth 10w40
Purolator 20195 oil filter
Castrol pyroplex es grease.

BlackOps2
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BlackOps2 » October 22nd, 2016, 4:29 am

Anyone ever swapped out the oem rotors on the 2012 vigo and used these? Wanna know how it works

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 22nd, 2016, 10:10 pm

BlackOps2 wrote:Anyone ever swapped out the oem rotors on the 2012 vigo and used these? Wanna know how it works

That looks interesting.
In my limited experience; Slotted and drilled rotors are developments born from racing that has no place in road going vehicles. While the slots might be ok, drilling removes a fair bit of material and creates stress points; which allows it to crack under severe use.
My advice is to stick with stock rotors.
If you need additional braking performance for whatever reason, you could look at slotted rotors, better brake pads, and better brake fluid.
Keep in mind that just installing better brakes in the front upsets the balance of the brake system overall. Normally it would upset handling at the limit greatly...but this is a van...handling isn't its forte.

I usually upgrade my brake fluid the same time that i replace my brake pads.

BlackOps2
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BlackOps2 » October 22nd, 2016, 10:16 pm

kamakazi wrote:
BlackOps2 wrote:Anyone ever swapped out the oem rotors on the 2012 vigo and used these? Wanna know how it works

That looks interesting.
In my limited experience; Slotted and drilled rotors are developments born from racing that has no place in road going vehicles. While the slots might be ok, drilling removes a fair bit of material and creates stress points; which allows it to crack under severe use.
My advice is to stick with stock rotors.
If you need additional braking performance for whatever reason, you could look at slotted rotors, better brake pads, and better brake fluid.
Keep in mind that just installing better brakes in the front upsets the balance of the brake system overall. Normally it would upset handling at the limit greatly...but this is a van...handling isn't its forte.

I usually upgrade my brake fluid the same time that i replace my brake pads.

Thanks for the info. Reason i asked was when i bought my vigo, the rotors were changed by the previous owner to same oem due to shimming. Now one year later i noticed i got the same prob. So was wondering if it made sense to go back oem for another time seeing that they warp so quickly

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » October 23rd, 2016, 4:38 am

FS Oem 2012-2015 Hilux/Fortuner disc rotors at less than 50% of dealership price

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=686070

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 23rd, 2016, 8:22 am

I experienced a similar problem but it comes and goes...I want to believe that it has very little to do with warping and a lot to do with improper bedding... Or an improper transfer of brake pad material to the rotor surface.

Before you replace the rotors you could probably try cleaning the surfaces with a wire brush drill bit and a drill or u can use some sand paper.

However if the previous owner did cane the van... It could be warped.

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » November 6th, 2016, 11:31 am

Im using stoptech drilled and slotted rotors for about 6 years now, never had any problems with the rotor. When going maracas I used to get alot of brake fad with the OEM rotor with the stoptech never had brake fade. The hilux stops on a dime, the only disadvantage is the rotor eats brake pads lol which i dont mind. Also no brake dust on wheel.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » November 7th, 2016, 6:53 pm

badart wrote:Im using stoptech drilled and slotted rotors for about 6 years now, never had any problems with the rotor. When going maracas I used to get alot of brake fad with the OEM rotor with the stoptech never had brake fade. The hilux stops on a dime, the only disadvantage is the rotor eats brake pads lol which i dont mind. Also no brake dust on wheel.

OEM brake pads with the stoptech rotors?

My van definitely does not stop on a dime... Screeching tyres and ABS... Definitely not out braking any car (unless it doesn't have ABS)

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » November 7th, 2016, 8:04 pm

I had those rotors on my hilux and worked perfect the problem with the stock rotors they warp very fast these would generate less heat and cool way faster (that's the purpose) I'll go with slotted or drilled and slotted but if u intend to go off-roading that's not the rotor you'll want

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » November 7th, 2016, 9:57 pm

kamakazi wrote:
badart wrote:Im using stoptech drilled and slotted rotors for about 6 years now, never had any problems with the rotor. When going maracas I used to get alot of brake fad with the OEM rotor with the stoptech never had brake fade. The hilux stops on a dime, the only disadvantage is the rotor eats brake pads lol which i dont mind. Also no brake dust on wheel.

My van definitely does not stop on a dime... Screeching tyres and ABS... Definitely not out braking any car (unless it doesn't have ABS)

Yep OEM brake pads.

BlackOps2
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BlackOps2 » November 8th, 2016, 11:33 pm

badart wrote:
kamakazi wrote:

Yep OEM brake pads.

Whete u got the stoptech rotors to buy and price btw?

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » November 12th, 2016, 11:37 pm

BlackOps2 wrote:
badart wrote:
kamakazi wrote:

Yep OEM brake pads.

Bought it from a power seller on tuner. I cant remember his name off hand but he only used to sell toyota parts, im not sure if he still exists, paid $2500 for the pair

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » November 13th, 2016, 12:17 pm

badart wrote:
BlackOps2 wrote:
badart wrote:
kamakazi wrote:

Yep OEM brake pads.

Bought it from a power seller on tuner. I cant remember his name off hand but he only used to sell toyota parts, im not sure if he still exists, paid $2500 for the pair

The powerseller is toyolink viewtopic.php?f=12&t=475387

786 Accounting
Street 2NR

Postby 786 Accounting » November 20th, 2016, 7:00 pm

HI tuners getting a prob with my 2006 hilux vigo , I randomly get a check light mostly at high speeds but at low speeds as well once the check light come on i will switch off turn back on van back to normal and it will not happen again for that day
the engine was recently rebuilt by former owner
full service done all oils and filter
change Map sensor filter
Change air flow sensor
Change Turbo actuator

Same issue i need help

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » November 20th, 2016, 7:02 pm

786 Accounting wrote:HI tuners getting a prob with my 2006 hilux vigo , I randomly get a check light mostly at high speeds but at low speeds as well once the check light come on i will switch off turn back on van back to normal and it will not happen again for that day
the engine was recently rebuilt by former owner
full service done all oils and filter
change Map sensor filter
Change air flow sensor
Change Turbo actuator

Same issue i need help

Do a scan and see whts wrong

786 Accounting
Street 2NR

Postby 786 Accounting » November 20th, 2016, 7:07 pm

when I carried in to a very reputable guy he said he cannot access the error code the ecu keeps bumping out the diagnostics , he said i may have to change my ecu was wondering if there is any other option as this is a expensive one to try

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » November 20th, 2016, 7:17 pm

786 Accounting wrote:when I carried in to a very reputable guy he said he cannot access the error code the ecu keeps bumping out the diagnostics , he said i may have to change my ecu was wondering if there is any other option as this is a expensive one to try

If the ecu keeps bumping out the scanner then he's probably not using the correct scanner. Remember your hilux is not OBD 2 compliant. The protocol used in those hilux are Multiplex OBD (MOBD) which is Toyota only protocol. I would suggest getting another scan

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”