TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Great Wall Wingle

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » November 5th, 2008, 7:36 am

Mitsu engine yuh say

which 2.8L mitsu engine does it have :?:

4M40 :?:

i looked at some pics of teh engine of the great wall wingle and it doesn't look like a 4M40

need to check this out personally

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » January 20th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Anybody with updated info on this pickup? Particularly crash test reports/info.

I've always heard Chinese vehicles have terrible crash safety records.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » January 20th, 2010, 9:14 pm

norstar2k,have a buddy with one almost 2 years and it going strong.no problems, and real fuel efficient, comfortable as well, compared to a frontier.it's a 2WD version though.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » January 21st, 2010, 2:07 am

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PSKfNUeygrs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PSKfNUeygrs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

norstar2k the GWM Hover has a EURONCAP crash rating of 4/5 not sure of the wingle. But should be good as well.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » January 21st, 2010, 2:15 am

^^My bad the wingle is 2/5

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_cLz0fUVNnc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_cLz0fUVNnc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » January 21st, 2010, 8:52 am

Thanks aidan, I can't find anything in Euro NCAP. Can you send me the link please.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » January 21st, 2010, 8:20 pm

norstar2k,can't find ENCAP for the wingle. But the ANCAP did the test and has the info for it.

Here's the links for the ones it have locally:

Great Wall SA220 (frontier look alike) 2WD only- http://www.ancap.com.au/results/341/

Great Wall V240 (Wingle) 2WD & 4WD - http://www.ancap.com.au/results/338/

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » January 21st, 2010, 10:31 pm

Thanks much Aidan! Greatly appreciated.

eyephone
Sweet on this forum

Postby eyephone » January 21st, 2010, 11:04 pm

2/5. Damn. Was kinda likin this to roll with

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » January 22nd, 2010, 12:40 am

norstar2k,no problem man!
eyephone,they have other models with better crash ratings.According to their site too, they working on improving them too!! I wonder who brings Great Wall locally. Cuz i like the Hover (4/5 crash rating)!

eyephone
Sweet on this forum

Postby eyephone » January 22nd, 2010, 8:22 am

hover looks interesting. would love to test drive. i suppose price would be just as competitive too.

rickgosine
Riding on 13's

Postby rickgosine » March 27th, 2010, 9:35 pm

hi all,

i own one and it has not given me any trouble. i agree you will have to change the fuel filter often cause of the diesel grade in trini. it poor.

do not be too eager to see any other type of gw because they (AM) said it was too costly to bring down

rickgosine
Riding on 13's

Postby rickgosine » March 27th, 2010, 9:36 pm

hi all,

i own one and it has not given me any trouble. i agree you will have to change the fuel filter often cause of the diesel grade in trini. it poor.

do not be too eager to see any other type of gw because they (AM) said it was too costly to bring down

top secret
Riding on 13's

Great Wall wingle

Postby top secret » March 31st, 2010, 4:48 pm

After reading what everyone had to say, As a 2yrs+ wingle owner, i have to stand up for the wingle, i previously had a Mazda , and a Frontier , none of them could match up to the wingle. yes i serious !!!!! the comfort, the space , the fuel consumption , the cornering, it is not a skyline !!!!!!! Rick could tell you that.... but its a great pick up....
Anyhow, it may be chinese built, with german engineering. but nobody talking about the standards it was built for, euro III ,emission spec, so then it must have been made for clean fuel..... i service on time, empty my fuel tank before i refill, to prevent water building up and staying in the tank .to cause hold back and loss of power...that why i run to 160k comfortable..........so for all those who dont know how a high pressure electronic, direct injection common rail engine works, especially on crap for diesel....... which the wingle is to advance for anyway...... go do some compairing before you say s@#t.....

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 1st, 2010, 8:23 pm

These wingles are a pack of s h i t.

Dont waste your hard earned money

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » April 2nd, 2010, 12:18 am

V2NR 3.0 wrote:These wingles are a pack of s h i t.

Dont waste your hard earned money

just looking at them, you can observe the low quality build:

e.g. less than 2 years old and headlights and fog lights discoloured

interior has a cheap build to it (my 6 year old L200 looks the same)

WASA did buy a set as part of their fleet though (usually Mitsu Ford and Mazda), so that should speak somewhat for their resilience and reliability

however, most of teh WASA ones get light duty from what I have observed

wait till they start to call for parts . . . lets hope AM doesn't treat with them as they did with the other chinese trucks that they brought - FAW

top secret
Riding on 13's

Postby top secret » April 3rd, 2010, 1:32 pm

That's why they ride better , more comfortable , burn less diesel, cheaper to maintain, oooooh and alot f*&k%ng quietier than the others, with lots of part at AM, for mitsubishi as well.....

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 3rd, 2010, 4:46 pm

top secret, how you getting defensive so ?

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » April 3rd, 2010, 7:03 pm

Top secret no need to get defensive

The real determining factor on exactly how great those Great Wall vehicles are, is TIME

They all new on the local markets now and every one sold still kinda new

They haven't prooven themselves yet - they not mature

Give them 5 years on the road (bout 3 years again for the first batches sold to mature)

Then we'll see how well they hold out.

And not the babied-up ones, the ones that work (not severly, but moderately)

If they holding out like a 5 year old L200, Navara, Hilux, D-Max, BT-50, Ranger then they would have prooven themselves (IMHO they won't)

Which brings me to another point, it is scarce to see one that works

Most ppl buying them and blinging them out, not working them (prob because they are the cheapest on the market to purchase and then Bling-out. Plenty ppl who pocket too small to buy a name brand Japanese 4x4 can afford these, then bling it with rims & accessories and still not total the Japanese brand in showroom stock form)

As for the parts issue, I hope for all Great Wall owners sake that while there are plenty parts by AM now, that in the next 5 years that the same can be said - parts plentiful (i expect so, since WASA bought and they would have had some assurance that there would be, else they wouldn't have bought, unless that purchase was a child of the usual corruption)

On the ride quality being better than the brand name Jap models, I highly doubt that, but on this I can be wrong

As for them being quieter - definately not quieter than any others (except a D-Max trademark Isuzu noise). They just as quiet, I'll give them that. Not quieter

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » April 3rd, 2010, 7:05 pm

Top secret no need to get defensive

The real determining factor on exactly how great those Great Wall vehicles are, is TIME

They all new on the local markets now and every one sold still kinda new

They haven't prooven themselves yet - they not mature

Give them 5 years on the road (bout 3 years again for the first batches sold to mature)

Then we'll see how well they hold out.

And not the babied-up ones, the ones that work (not severly, but moderately)

If they holding out like a 5 year old L200, Navara, Hilux, D-Max, BT-50, Ranger then they would have prooven themselves (IMHO they won't)

Which brings me to another point, it is scarce to see one that works

Most ppl buying them and blinging them out, not working them (prob because they are the cheapest on the market to purchase and then Bling-out. Plenty ppl who pocket too small to buy a name brand Japanese 4x4 can afford these, then bling it with rims & accessories and still not total the Japanese brand in showroom stock form)

As for the parts issue, I hope for all Great Wall owners sake that while there are plenty parts by AM now, that in the next 5 years that the same can be said - parts plentiful (i expect so, since WASA bought and they would have had some assurance that there would be, else they wouldn't have bought, unless that purchase was a child of the usual corruption)

On the ride quality being better than the brand name Jap models, I highly doubt that, but on this I can be wrong

As for them being quieter - definately not quieter than any others (except a D-Max trademark Isuzu noise). They just as quiet, I'll give them that. Not quieter

Rutless Tiida
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Rutless Tiida » April 5th, 2010, 12:08 pm

I would like to see how these handle a little offroading. If any of you Wingle owners want to try why not come to the next Diesel Boyz run. We might all be surprised or not.
I had thought about buying one my self but I knew that I would be putting alot of miles on my vehicle (300k or more kms over the next 5 years) and I needed something that has been tested locally.

skud_caesar
Riding on 13's

Re: Great Wall Wingle

Postby skud_caesar » May 20th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Maybe the wingle will hold up but i am begining to hardly see them on the road unlike a year ago when they were apparantly being rushed...so i guess they hadda earn a name before they get a good post but i doubt they are shitty...at least not as shitty lookin as the new rangers lol

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » June 3rd, 2010, 11:12 am

I got a ride in a couple while I was at WASA. They are more comfortable than most pickups in this class, very car like ride. Pretty slow though, you hardly feel any torque.
The general reputation in WASA is that they get unstuck from mud easier than the bt50s, maybe because they make less power so they have lower tendency to over-rev.

The design is actually a copy of a VW Magellan SUV.
Personally I like how they look and operate, but it seems to be the new Hyundai.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » September 1st, 2010, 3:02 pm

i tink de output of the plant is too small to make a significant impact on diesel quality when it is re-blended.....it might jus work if they offer 2 grades of diesel tho

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 16th, 2010, 6:19 am

Just the thread I need, hopefully. Anybody knows what the "engine mistake" light on the wingle dash represents? The manual useless, it just says "engine mistake" and AM is clueless. Trying to help out a friend here, they buy a brand new wingle from AM a week ago and the check engine light is on already. It's the one shaped like the spanner. After a few back and forth with AM, we realize them is amateurs and hardly know anything. Been searching on Google but no luck so far.

What's your expert advice?

As for my review of the wingle, the suspension is excellent for a pickup and lots of leg room in the back as compared to other similar classed vehicles. One poor choice of design they made was putting the 4WD controls in the middle just above the radio so they made it very easy for kids or somebody to accidentally press those buttons while the vehicle is moving. We never tried it to see if there is any safety mechanism but one would assume the transmission would suffer some damage if you press those controls while moving, especially if the driver isn't aware and didn't mash the clutch.

Rutless Tiida
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Rutless Tiida » December 17th, 2010, 8:14 pm

No idea about the light...
Yeah I have a friend with a Wingle and he pressed the button by accident one day when he was changing gears, luckily it was from 1st to 2nd so he was not going that fast. The 4wd did feel like it engaged but he pressed back to 2wd very quickly. No damage was done.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 17th, 2010, 11:47 pm

prob u can shape a piece of plexi like the safety cover over those toggle switches, and mount it with a hinge to reduce accidental engagement.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » December 18th, 2010, 5:55 am

^^ you mean like the one they use in "deal or no deal" or like in those movies with a piece of plexi over a red button? :mrgreen:

Friend of mine brought his wingle over the other night, had a chance to look at it for a few mins. Looks like a decent truck, I'd say the overall build quality and performance is similar to the Isuzu Dmax. The engine is built by Isuzu, and sounds like one too. The body seems solid, and the interior was leather-equipped so it wasn't bad at all.

I think it's just cuz of the chinese build that it gets a bad rep (plus the funny looking front headlights). BUt I do like the look of the rear tail-lights. If Great Wall had just copied the front of the Ranger or even the Hilux with the same rear tail lights, it'd have looked better and I'm sure more trini's would have gone and bought it :D

The Great Wall Wingle (Chinese: 长城风骏; pinyin: Chángchéng Fēngjùn) is a compact pickup truck built and marketed by Great Wall Motor since 2006. In 2009, it became the first Chinese made 'Ute' or Pick Up to be sold in Australia and is sold under the badge Great Wall V240[2].

The Australian specification Great Wall V240 comes standard with a 2.4-litre four cylinder petrol engine producing 134 hp (100 kW) and 200 Nm of torque which is licenced from Mitsubishi Motors. In some markets, it is offered with a GW2.8TC diesel engine. V240 is highly specified with standard alloy wheels, AM/FM CD radio, electric windows, leather trimmed seats, disc/drum brakes and air-conditioning.

It has been noted by motoring journalists that the Wingle shares a very similar side and rear-end profile to the Isuzu D-Max sold since 2002.[3][4]

In 2010 a single-cab model was released which, in the Australian market, replaced the SA220 (Great Wall Sailor).[5]

According to a national Eurpoean importer of Great Wall cars, the pickup will be named Steed, when it goes on sale i Europe in 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_Wingle

After seeing it in person, I dont' think I'd discourage anyone from buying one - although I wouldn't encourage them either! :lol:

MrCuddles
Trinituner Peong

Postby MrCuddles » December 20th, 2010, 2:13 am

my mechanic neighbour bought a Wingle about a yr ago he occasionally liked to "wild-out" wit it doin a lil burnout an ting nun relly major like donuts an stuff :wink:

well bout 6 weeks ago he mash up d rear diff an can neither get parts for it nor a new diff frm d firm, so my mechanic hv to try an build a diff or try rebuildin d old one dey not sure if dat go evn wok....but dey tryin a ting

my van down less dan a week nw wit a clutch prob an i rel sufferin, so i relly cant see myself goin tru 6goingon7 weeks witout my vehicle.....daz TORTURE!!!

Rutless Tiida
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Rutless Tiida » December 20th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Actually there is a newer Wingle. The one that is sold locally is now called the Wingle 3. The new one is a Wingle 5.
http://www.gwm.com.cn/en/wingle5.asp

And it looks way better.

and by the way the Wingle copied it's looks from a VW concept vehicle

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”