TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby gready123456 » January 2nd, 2012, 10:05 am

Aaron 2NR wrote:It's the backlash on the diff

I had a 4x2 auto before that had backlash but it never made a loud noise like this.when i place the van in park and dont pull up the hand brake and release my foot from the brake peddel the van usualy moves forward and back ward a little ( both my vans do this ) this is caused by the backlash but i never heard any noise on my 4X2 .

biggy82
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby biggy82 » January 2nd, 2012, 1:30 pm

i am inclined to agree with Aaron 2nr. however, you may need to have the servicemen check the tranny just in case.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » January 2nd, 2012, 8:22 pm

@gready123456

i feel it but only slightly, absolutely no noise tho (4x4 auto)

disturbed
Street 2NR

Postby disturbed » January 11th, 2012, 9:45 pm

with respect to ravist and the shock problem im having the same and yes the shocks bad.
anyone ever change them?
what brand u all recommend?
im looking at the BILSTEIN heavy duty but can tell me if the us model 4wd model even doh its gas(not diesel and trim is different) will have same shock?????

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm ... _year=2010
Last edited by disturbed on January 15th, 2012, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » January 11th, 2012, 10:16 pm

So the van was sent back to nm they checked it and said it was good however when i got it back the noise was gone so it seemed they fixed it but when i ask them all they did was tighten suspension parts all in all i am happy that the noise is gone

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » January 17th, 2012, 10:23 pm

check out these videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/MonsterNavara/videos

I would like to know what wheels and tires are those

and their size

looks very aggressive

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » January 17th, 2012, 10:30 pm

Interco - super swamper bogger

bt50
Sweet on this forum

Postby bt50 » January 19th, 2012, 10:43 am

fellas need a little help- any suggestions for aftermarket brake pads for the Nav and where it can be sourced?

thanks

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » January 23rd, 2012, 5:24 pm

bosch - sookhai's

bt50
Sweet on this forum

Postby bt50 » January 25th, 2012, 9:53 am

thanks mr navara lighthammer...lol

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » January 27th, 2012, 10:50 pm

changed your pads already LH ?

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » February 4th, 2012, 9:49 am

So i had some brake problem (bad ones )with the van and took in to nm after speaking to the service manager and asking lots of questions about the diff he told me that my navara has lsd so i asked about the electronic lsd he then said No it has clutch type lsd , they adjusted the brake and said that every thing was ok i am hearing noises when i stop and wen i an pulling off . a clunk noise and small vibration they claim no to be experiencing this.i will test drive with one of the mechs on monday

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » February 4th, 2012, 11:20 am

give a bit more info on your brake problems.

AFAIK ......still no clutch type LSD

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » February 5th, 2012, 10:24 pm

The van was pulling to the right side when the brake was applied and i was feeling a vibration also ( may be the abs )

As for the lsd i was told from the service manager and a tech while testing driving the van that it has a clutch type lsd and NOT a E DIFF that uses the abs , as of now i am not sure what to believe

kimolal
Street 2NR

Postby kimolal » February 6th, 2012, 8:28 pm

hey ppl, I getting my navara next week. its a 4x4 with leather full works from massey. the salesman tell me he found one for me i.e the last one in the country lol. anyway I wanna know from the navara owners what is a reasonable mileage to get a new vehicle at. is it 100kms or 50kms or 500kms. I am asking because a friend of mine bought a vehicle brand new and when he got it the odometer read 450kms and I thought that was kinda high for a new car. So what kinda mileage should i expect when i get my navara and what will be an unacceptable mileage to get a new vehicle at. thanks ppl

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » February 6th, 2012, 8:32 pm

kimolal wrote:hey ppl, I getting my navara next week. its a 4x4 with leather full works from massey. the salesman tell me he found one for me i.e the last one in the country lol. anyway I wanna know from the navara owners what is a reasonable mileage to get a new vehicle at. is it 100kms or 50kms or 500kms. I am asking because a friend of mine bought a vehicle brand new and when he got it the odometer read 450kms and I thought that was kinda high for a new car. So what kinda mileage should i expect when i get my navara and what will be an unacceptable mileage to get a new vehicle at. thanks ppl

less than a 100km for sure cant remember what mine was but it was fairly low they do drive it to licensing to do inspections( twice ) and may be some one joyrides it before u get it also its trinidad u need to expect these things lol

ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ravist » February 13th, 2012, 11:41 am

front left tire continue to cut really badly... my brand new michelins tires are junking after 2200kms bearing in mind the shock was changed late December....

what am i supposed to do now.... master serv said they cannot help me any more and the vehicle must go back to massey south for their opinion....

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » February 13th, 2012, 6:40 pm

have u discussed it with the service manager ??? what did he say ???

ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ravist » February 14th, 2012, 8:57 am

i spoke to the manager at master serv and he told me that this week he will try to get an appointment.... personally, i know that little is going to come out of this by send my nav to south so i will have to wait and see....would the spring have anything to do with this???

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » February 14th, 2012, 12:18 pm

take it by james, let him have a look, masey is worthless

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » February 14th, 2012, 1:45 pm

it's here lol

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » February 14th, 2012, 11:03 pm

Aaron 2NR wrote:it's here lol

Not bad but i prefer the old look .whats the price ??

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » February 14th, 2012, 11:18 pm

No 220hp/550Nm 3.0 V6 CRDi engine.... no care.

Rutless Tiida
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Rutless Tiida » February 17th, 2012, 5:49 pm

And its a Calibre......I remember when one of these got stuck in a grass car park....lol

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » February 27th, 2012, 8:08 am

navara sport

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » March 2nd, 2012, 10:07 am

ravist wrote:front left tire continue to cut really badly... my brand new michelins tires are junking after 2200kms bearing in mind the shock was changed late December....

what am i supposed to do now.... master serv said they cannot help me any more and the vehicle must go back to massey south for their opinion....

Might not be the shock man.
Perhaps your control-arms are the problem.

Have someone check your bushings, and also check other things like your steering control arm and pitman arm.

Call James - 374-9339 and he can diagnose it for you, very knowledgeable.
If u pass in the shop by james, I might be there and we can look over it together.

Neal and massy is a waste of time, i've stopped servicing my navara there since september last year (fleck their warranty!).

Been servicing by James ever since.
374-9339

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » March 2nd, 2012, 10:11 am

gready123456 wrote:The van was pulling to the right side when the brake was applied and i was feeling a vibration also ( may be the abs )

As for the lsd i was told from the service manager and a tech while testing driving the van that it has a clutch type lsd and NOT a E DIFF that uses the abs , as of now i am not sure what to believe

Nope, nope, NOPE!

Typical salespersons in trinidad, don't know sheit about their vehicles.
WHen I was buying my navara, I was talking circles around the salesman, he didn't know what I was talking about. Same story at Ford and Toyota, all they know about is to tell you how much space the inside has, the tray has, and what colours and sheit the fabric/leather comes. They don't know ANYTHING when it comes to LSD, gear ratio specs, or even Horse Power and TOrque specs (the guy at SSL was completey surprised when I pointed out the difference between the Direct Injection WLT in the locally available BT-50 2.5L manual, and the Common Rail TDCi engines in the UK BT50's).

Trust me when I tell you - ALL LOCAL NAVARA'S HAVE OPEN DIFFERENTIALS IN BOTH FRONT AND BACK.

The Automatic 4x4 has an e-diff, which uses the ABS system to simulate an LSD... but this only works up to a point. All you have to do is blip the throttle a little bit more, and BOOM, you overcome the LSD-effect from that E-Diff VERY easily (cuz the nav has so much power).

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » March 3rd, 2012, 11:56 am

lighthammer wrote:
gready123456 wrote:The van was pulling to the right side when the brake was applied and i was feeling a vibration also ( may be the abs )

Nope, nope, NOPE!

Typical salespersons in trinidad, don't know sheit about their vehicles.
WHen I was buying my navara, I was talking circles around the salesman, he didn't know what I was talking about. Same story at Ford and Toyota, all they know about is to tell you how much space the inside has, the tray has, and what colours and sheit the fabric/leather comes. They don't know ANYTHING when it comes to LSD, gear ratio specs, or even Horse Power and TOrque specs (the guy at SSL was completey surprised when I pointed out the difference between the Direct Injection WLT in the locally available BT-50 2.5L manual, and the Common Rail TDCi engines in the UK BT50's).

Trust me when I tell you - ALL LOCAL NAVARA'S HAVE OPEN DIFFERENTIALS IN BOTH FRONT AND BACK.

The Automatic 4x4 has an e-diff, which uses the ABS system to simulate an LSD... but this only works up to a point. All you have to do is blip the throttle a little bit more, and BOOM, you overcome the LSD-effect from that E-Diff VERY easily (cuz the nav has so much power).

I believe u man . This was no sales rep this was the service manager i had a lengthy talk with him about the thump noise i am hearing when i accelerate he insisted that the van does not have a electronic LSD This is the south service manager i dont want to call names but some may know him .

Light hammer whats the largest tire i can get under the van with out having to shave guards and stuff ? 275/70/16 ???

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » March 4th, 2012, 8:02 am

no lsd on local navaras can't say for the others

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » March 5th, 2012, 10:06 am

gready123456 wrote:Light hammer whats the largest tire i can get under the van with out having to shave guards and stuff ? 275/70/16 ???

yup yup.
I have 265/70R16 BFG AT on mine, and it doesn't rub.
265/75R16 might even fit (equiv profile to a 275/70R16) but if you were to go 275/75R16 it may rub and some trimming may be needed (or you could invest in a Old Man Emu 3" suspension lift kit - PM me if you're interested).

Here's a demonstration of the open-differential of the D40 Navara that we get here in trinidad.
This is my truck after doing an underwash.
Note that while spinning one wheel, the other wheel spins in the opposite direction. If there was an LSD or even a Diff-Locker in the rear diff, the two wheels would spin in the same direction.

The automatic 4x4 navara has that e-diff that works like most traction-control systems: when wheel-spin is detected in one wheel, the TSS will apply brakes to the spinning wheel, hence sending power back to the wheel that does have traction and giving you back some grip.

This works to some extent, but like all LSD's and E-LSD's, it's easy to overpower the system (esp in a 170HP, 400Nm / 300lb/ft Navara) - same applies to the hilux, ranger, bt50, B2500, Dmax - all of which have LSD's in them.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”