TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby ravist » April 27th, 2012, 3:36 pm

thanks for the update pal.... very much appreciated, will it require any specific computerised tuning after install cuz as you mentioned, black smoke can be easily sorted out by tuning the ecu...on the other hand, spending that amount pesos of for a minimal upgrade does not make sense... i wonder if it will void my warranty??? what other performance upgrades are there out there for the navs..i am in peru right now and some guys have a power chip installed on the toyota which is pretty impressive adding about 35hp however, i am not sure if testing has been done for the nav as yet..
by the way, navaras rule down here....

ravi
Last edited by ravist on May 1st, 2012, 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 28th, 2012, 8:36 am

shouldnt void the warranty cuz all u need to do is remove the chip and the ecu will revert to its stock maps and it'll be like the chip was never there.... hence the name "piggyback" chip.

The black smoke is mostly because of our sheit fuel. You'll def see some performance upgrades... but who wants to drive around with a van that's smoking like an old ERF all the time??

BTW - navara's do rule.
Take pics of the land down under us...
and say hello to Cuzco in Macchu Picchu too :) :)

ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ravist » April 30th, 2012, 8:38 am

i know that this is not the place for this and the mods will bash me for this but here is a look at some pics i took over the past month...btw, guinea pigs are one of the main sources of protein down here and a national dish...i tried taking some pics this morning but it was too foggy...will be back home on thursday 03rd may, 2012...wooooohhhoooo!!!!
Last edited by ravist on June 1st, 2012, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

vickyexp
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vickyexp » May 1st, 2012, 9:39 am

question for the Navara guys who're using Amzoil API CJ-4 Syntetic 15W-40
diesel oil and changing at 10,000km intervals.

what oil filters do you use & how often do you change them?

Reason being, I'm getting a 4x4 manual Navara and want to keep my
warranty with NM but I want to reduce my maintenance cost by purchasing
my parts (oils, filters etc) on the outside & just be charged for labour.
I'll appreciate any tips.
thanks,
Vick

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » May 1st, 2012, 10:04 am

vickyexp wrote:question for the Navara guys who're using Amzoil API CJ-4 Syntetic 15W-40

thanks,
Vick

nissan oil filters just change the filter every 5000k that how i do it. not to sure if u could use other filters and keep warranty

ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ravist » May 1st, 2012, 1:42 pm

I use Amsoil 5w40 and change every 10,000kms.... On the other hand, I service every 5000kms at N&M to maintain warranty however, I tell them to change my oil filter, not my oil and usually supply a quart just to top-up....Air and Fuel are changed every 20,000kms..BTW, I service at San Fernando and not sure if Morvant or POS has different policies....

vickyexp
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vickyexp » May 1st, 2012, 2:13 pm

@ ravist, I do plan to do the same and service at corner Tragarere & Richmond St.
in POS. I read on this forum that the recommended oil viscosity was 15W-40, how's
the 5W-40 holding out?

ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ravist » May 1st, 2012, 3:17 pm

I have been using for the past 20,000kms and no issues thus far....the only thing is i find the engine ah bit noisier compared to Mobil1 15w40........My wife drives my nav most of the time and she hardly drives hard so as for "holding out" you may have to consult the fast drivers for their 2 cents....

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 2nd, 2012, 1:47 am

vickyexp wrote:question for the Navara guys who're using Amzoil API CJ-4 Syntetic 15W-40

thanks,
Vick

*raises hand*
me-me-me!

I'm using 15W40 Amsoil API CJ-4 in my navara (4x4 manual LE)

I used to do the servicing at 10,000km, but I found that with the stock filters the oil came out quite grimy and sooty. Take the oil at 10,000km and spread it thin on some white paper napkin, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

So now I'm doing my servicing at 7,500km and I'm using Bosch oil and fuel filters instead of the Nissan filters (way cheaper, and it's the same filter - Bosch makes filters for nissan, toyota, ford, etc and they just rebrand them).

I can say that the 15W40 amsoil works quite well in the navara. Not much noise from the engine and knock is minimal.
However - for our climate a 50-weight oil is more ideal, although a 40-weight is acceptable in viscosity. It's a minor difference but I believe it'll be more emphasized after you've put more than 100,000km on the engine. By that time, the engine would have been properly broken in (it's a diesel, c'mon) and you'll now be seeing the true performance envelope of the engine. Mine is about 16 months old and has 56,000km on it - which I still consider to be pretty young in terms of break-in and engine wear.

I'm planning to switch to a slightly higher viscosity oil, like a 50-weight when I get to the 100,000km mark.

Now, note that the amsoil is rated to run up to 20,000km without needing to be changed, it's engineered to do long-haul work on trans-continental big-rig trucks in the USA. That's why I chose Amsoil over Total and Mobil 1, cuz I do a lot of highway miles without much idling in traffic. But... with our poor quality diesel and the resulting amount of soot that gets dumped back into the combustion system from the EGR, I don't like how grimy it comes out. Micro-particles and carbon fragments leads to extra wear and tear on the cylinder walls, microscopic in size yes but can lead to loss in power/performance. Hence why you should change your oil regularly (and use the best filters).

I'm getting a 4x4 manual Navara and want to keep my

I'll tell you a well known secret - N&M (and most of the other stealerships) are overcharging you for your oil changes. I had an eye-opening experience with them that caused me to never, ever go back to them for any servicing after my 20,000km.

Basically, they said I would get free labour at the 20,000km. I used to bring my own oil and filters from outside and let them use that, thinking I would save money. Bought "original" nissan filters from ROC in bamboo - don't buy these, they are cheap chinese knockoffs with fake "nissan" branding on them. Cut one open and compare with a Bosch or original thailand nissan oil filter and you'll see.
Neal and Massey wanted to charge me for keeping the van on their floor - per day. What's more, the service person said my van wouldn't be finished till the day after, even though I had dropped it at 7:45am in the morning, and I was SECOND in line.

All that for a regular oil change/filter change/general checklist.

After that, I never went back to them again. I decided to frick their warranty and do all the servicing myself. I have a service booklet and service manual from NIssan at home and use that to guide me in what has to be done at each interval (recently changed the rear diff-oil myself at 52,000km)

If you don't want to take the plunge and do it all on your own (trust me, N&M and their sheit isn't worth the money bro.... ) go to MasterServ in Fernandes Compound in Barataria.
They're part of the N&M group so you'll get to keep your warranty, and they do a much better service than N&M. One guy on the forum recently tried to get his alignment done at N&M, was told the machine was down (same thing they told me last time I went - did my own alignment outside). I advised him to go to MasterServ - voila, he got through quickly and paid a minimal fee (a lot less than at N&M). Scroll up this thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you have any questions about your nav, just PM me man and I'll reply when I get it.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 2nd, 2012, 2:01 am

vickyexp wrote:I read on this forum that the recommended oil viscosity was 15W-40, how's
the 5W-40 holding out?

An interesting read here....

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

vickyexp
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vickyexp » May 2nd, 2012, 7:07 am

thanks for the info guys, seems like you know your trucks & I'll be sure
to keep asking questions as they come up. I'm now re-considering servicing
@ NM, might just go in for the 1000k to them and then service at Masterserv
in Chaguanas (just because I'm from the area). Anyone knows how the Chag
branch compares to Barataria?

Anyway, I'm hoping to get my truck this Friday. It's already licenced and just
waiting on cert. copy & inspection.

biggy82
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby biggy82 » May 2nd, 2012, 9:54 pm

lighthammer wrote:
Most of these ecu piggyback chips work by pulsing the injectors a little bit more, hence delivering more fuel to the cylinder. However, without enough oxygen and with poor quality fuel, combustion is often incomplete. This leads to a lot of black-smoke and sometimes pinging/knocking..

also they increase the fuel pressure in the common rail which increases fuel volume per injector pulse

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 2nd, 2012, 10:19 pm

^^ yeh what he said :mrgreen:

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » May 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm

nice pics ravist...

Service Manuals D22 & D40
[USDM variants].
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/frontier/

AdamB
12 pounds of Boost

Postby AdamB » May 4th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Yea nice pics...except for the "pigs"...LOL

AdamB
12 pounds of Boost

Postby AdamB » May 4th, 2012, 10:08 pm

BTW...about the Masterserv servicing...they know and charge same prices for servicing (to keep warranty) as N&M. This was last year when I checked for servicing of my Bluebird Sylphy.
When the 20,000km service costing about $2000 came up, I asked if they were changing transmission oil, and if I could use synthetic oil and change every 10,000km. The answers (asked two persons) were neither satisfying nor in accordance with the manual. So I decided to do it with my own mechanic rather than pay $6000 per yr hoping that they'll honour warranty in case something goes wrong.

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » May 5th, 2012, 12:29 am

When I went in to the the "alignment" at N&M in Morvant I noticed they had a screen up with "Service Pricing Menus"

Pricing was something like this for the Navara if I remember clearly,

Class 1 - $1700.00
Class 2 - $2100.00
Class 3 - $3700.00

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » May 18th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Just collected my Navara from N&M. Did my 5000 KM service.

Price $1200.00

I wonder how much this would have costed at MasterServ?? :oops:

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 18th, 2012, 6:17 pm

^ cost me about the same.

IF you DIY, same service would have just cost you the oil and filter.

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » May 18th, 2012, 10:44 pm

For real. LH

On a side note, someone mentioned to me today that N&M sent the License office a letter stating that they cant adjust the Navara's hand brake to "lock up and screech" tires for inspections as it was not designed to do that. Just thought I'd share that here until I can officially confirm this.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 19th, 2012, 1:35 pm

N&M sent the License office a letter stating that they cant adjust the Navara's hand brake to "lock up and screech" tires for inspections as it was not designed to do that.

well i did it... and i screech my back tyres while i was waiting in line (practicing for inspection!).

Someone should educate those clowns in Neal & Massy about it. What they really should be saying is that the adjustment for handbrake cable tension is NOT located on the rear axle like in the Frontier, it's instead a sealed system and the adjustment is right on the handbrake lever instead.

Mis-education and poor-education again. All they know is sales, most of them don't know jack sh1t about the technical aspects of their vehicles.

BTW, I readjusted my handbrakes so it locks on 3 clicks now, not just 1 click.
Reason being, I don't want my rear drums to be engaged all the time or touching while rolling, to prevent premature wear on them.

Trust me, you can do it while sitting in the van waiting to get inspected, and everytime the line moves, you can practice locking up the rear brakes and adjust until you're satisfied.

If your truck has manual trans, they'll usually make you pull up the brakes and try to move off in 2nd gear. If you have auto trans, they'll make you pull off and then lock the handbrakes.
That's the difference. Saw an automatic navara a couple vehicles after me, they made him pull off and then lock up the brakes.

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » May 19th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Ahh ok. Will need to practice for next year.

I still have to stick my inspection sticker on my front windscreen :lol: I have the sticker along with the certificate in my glovebox :?

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 19th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Yunno I waited 3 whole months to do my inspection.... And I put on de damned sticker crooked :(

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » May 19th, 2012, 6:40 pm

That's what I am afraid of lol. Plus I have some air blue on there to.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » May 19th, 2012, 8:06 pm

lighthammer wrote:
N&M sent the License office a letter stating that they cant adjust the Navara's hand brake to "lock up and screech" tires for inspections as it was not designed to do that.

well i did it...

X2

ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ravist » May 21st, 2012, 10:32 am

I had a legal letter sent N&M regarding the suspension issues that i have been having... The vehicle was taken in 14/05/2012 and i am supposed to receive on the 23/05/2012. These are the parts they changed by N&M;

1) Rear Leaf Springs
2) Front Cab Mounts
3) 4 Injectors
4) Bonnet Hinges
They moved my aglae x and relocated it
They remove my bonnet shield
Some kinda heating flex hose had to also be relocated..

I had a meeting with a director and a service manager on Friday and they told me that my tires are feathering/junking because I corner to hard. Can you believe these eggheads??? My wife drives the vehicle more than I do (since inception) and she barely reaches 100kms on the highway so how the hell will cornering cause junking???

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » May 21st, 2012, 1:53 pm

Ravist that's a real scene there. Did they provide you with a vehicle to use in the Interim?

I hope you get sorted out Wednesday. Which branch is the work being done?

ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ravist » May 22nd, 2012, 7:19 am

actually they loaned me a hyundai i30 which is very sweet and nimble so i am not complaining in this regard.... on the other hand, it clearly shows that we are not ready for 1st class service in terms of troubleshooting and diagnosing and will wait on them for a positive outcome....
btw fellas, where can i get a set of original disk pads of will after-market work better???

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 22nd, 2012, 9:37 pm

I could understand they changing out the leaf springs.. but why not the shocks too?
And why change the cab-mounts? Those have NOTHING to do with the suspension and wear/tear on the tyres..... I would have expected them to change the front and rear shocks at the very least - cuz sometimes the shocks get worn out on the boat ride down from japan/thailand.. so you actually get a vehicle with prematurely worn shocks....

And why change the injectors, unless they were fouling, whereas they could have simply cleaned them.

Don't really understand why they would have done the other stuff like the bonnet hinges, moved the algae x, etc. etc. I hope you got a clear explanation from them for each thing done to the van.

ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ravist » May 23rd, 2012, 7:22 am

I got the vehicle yesterday and to summarise they told me that the van was smoking excessively so the injectors had to be replaced. The algae-x had to be relocated because it was vibrating against the body. The heating flex was also vibrating and had to be secured. Bonnet hinges were renewed because of bonnet squeaks and my shield had to be removed because according to them, the bonnet was not locking properly..
Prior to this service, they had changed shock twice which did not solve the issue...

I am working with a director for them to trade my vehicle (at a lower cost of course) and probably go with the hyundai tucson crdi.... At this point in time, i am very much disappointed with everything...btw, this is a pic of the ride taking this morning...

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”