TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

TECH Thread - MITSUBISHI L200, Sportero, Triton.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Re: TECH Thread - MITSUBISHI L200, Sportero, Triton.

Postby cornfused » July 30th, 2016, 11:25 pm

Soon to take hold of a used l200, its a very basic model and has no tachometer . I was thinking maybe to change the instrument cluster or ?

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » August 2nd, 2016, 11:42 am

Great info crock, Toyopet should buy u a beer

cornfused buy a diesel tach and wire up

for the dude with the wheel bearing question, why u changing spindle if is your wheel bearing bad? just get a good Japanese wheel bearing, NTN is tops, NSK and Koyo are good

Faiz and Marud

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 2nd, 2016, 3:45 pm

venum, you have the 100k service partlist?

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » August 2nd, 2016, 4:05 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:venum, you have the 100k service partlist?

yea, it should be:

T-belt
T-belt tensioner
B-Belt
B-Belt tensioner
Cam seals
Crank seals
water pump (not necessary)
Accessory belts (AC, PS, Alternator x2)
coolant
Tranny fluid (depends on your last change interval)
Diff & TC fluids (depends on your last change interval)

main important ones are the t&b belts and tensioners and those seals

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Transmission problems solved

Postby venum » August 3rd, 2016, 10:22 am

Posting valuable content from another thread

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=641676&p=9248006#p9248006

PROBLEM:
Puff wrote:2011 L200 2.5 diesel auto doing 165,000km.

When I started the truck to leave POS, put it into reverse not problem. Put it into Drive and it moved for about 5 meters and dropped out of gear and was just reving.
I put it into Neutral and back to Drive.. same thing.. it would engage for a second and then drop out of gear and the D would disappear from the dash.
Put it into 2 and it would drive normal.. pushed it back into D and nothing.
Did that a few times and no difference.
I drove for a while (about 2 mins) in 2 and then pushed it back to D and it worked.
I managed to drive to San Fernando without any problems.
When I started in San Fernando to head back north, it did the same thing.. drove for about 30 seconds in 2 and then back to D and it worked again.

SOLUTION:
ralli77art wrote:Yes it is a common problem as indicated by the mechanic at DM. I drove with mine neutralizing for a while but had to take the selector lever down to 2nd then feel for the Drive position whilst looking at the display on the instrument panel to verify the vehicle is in Drive position at a stand-still. Sometimes the vehicle would neutralize on the hiway at high speeds.....scary but I adapted by allowing the vehicle to cruise to a slower speed under 60Kms, then feel for the Drive position on the lever if I miss the Drive and slip into 2nd then the vehicle would not feel it since 2nd gear can handle this speed. Just remember the part #8604A053 in case you have to order outside because DM won't give it to you if they have it in stock and Diamonds ain't cheap!

PROBLEM:

brakefluid wrote:I am having almost the same problem. The D is flashing and the gear seem to be stuck at a high gear. I have no power and overrevving. Reverse goes in very hard and every selection blinks except P and N . I got a readout and it says that the relay is bad so i changed the relay in the fusebox but it did not make a difference. I have not resolved the issue and the pickup is now parked up...sigh.

SOLUTION:
brakefluid wrote:Ok update.
The transmission apparantly went into safe mode when it detected that the transmission relay in the fuse box was malfunctioning. When the van was switched off and started back the brain was reset and the van was working perfectly for a while. This meant that the relay was working but not all the time.
When i swapped the relay for a new one the problem got worse. It was in protection mode full time now and all sorts of codes were coming up.
I looked at the relay in the fuse box, took it out and looked into the housing and saw one of the pins had slipped out.
Long story short was that the relay was bad and when i switched the new one it was not jacked in properly.

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » August 12th, 2016, 4:27 pm

:crazyeyes: I'm terrible. I've read through all 55 pages of this thread in the past 4-5 days..it's been a while that I've been researching pickups and I was most interested in the Sportero, B2500 and Frontier in terms of looks and pricing of course. Now ill definitely need to obtain a bigger vehicle, as I have a little one on the way and it has to be automatic because wifey can't drive manual. Long story short, I'm interested in an L200 Sportero so this thread has been extremely informative. I'll be new to 4x4 and diesel ownership, so of course along with this thread, I'll be looking to the gurus for further assistance, if needed (hopefully not..with a baby on the way, Jah knows I wouldn't want any unnecessary expenses). Which is why (upon purchase) I'll be requesting entrance to the local WhatsApp group, but also someone who knows these trucks inside and out to visit the two I'm interested in with me before making a final decision. I don't have a personal mechanic verse with diesel and you guys know these trucks inside out. I'm from South so if there's anyone in the region that can render some assistance it'll be greatly appreciated. Cheers until.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » August 13th, 2016, 11:18 pm

Thanks for reading and being interested.

L200's are great trucks and have proven themselves locally.

Having just been where you are now wrt to the little one, I wouldn't advice that you get a pickup tho.

Make no mistake, the Sportero is a very comfortable pickup and the large cabin with full size back seat offers a lot of space.

However, I find that when I am moving around with mine that you can run out of space quickly. When you put an infant seat in the back, depending on the size (mine is a Britax) you loose some space in the front as the seat has to move forward a bit so a front seat passenger has to be small or sit with a straight back. Back seat can still accommodate 2 avg side adults.

The truck still allows for all the gear you need. Add a fold up full size stroller and u at the limit. For just mom dad and baby with all gear and its fine. Add another passenger and things get complicated.

Soon were going to change the infant seat for a next stage one. Those are bigger so I expect to lose some more space.

If u can get the tray covered watertight then u better off for space. That wasn't an option for me as I need mine open.

All in all it can work, but a wagon or suv will work better.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » August 14th, 2016, 1:36 am

I've both an SUV (Tiguan) and an L200; the covered tray makes a big difference in cargo space and carrying around items for the little one. The Recaro car seat does take up space, but usually it's just the three of us in the vehicle at a time

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » August 14th, 2016, 9:34 am

venum wrote:Thanks for reading and being interested.

L200's are great trucks and have proven themselves locally.

Having just been where you are now wrt to the little one, I wouldn't advice that you get a pickup tho.

Make no mistake, the Sportero is a very comfortable pickup and the large cabin with full size back seat offers a lot of space.

However, I find that when I am moving around with mine that you can run out of space quickly. When you put an infant seat in the back, depending on the size (mine is a Britax) you loose some space in the front as the seat has to move forward a bit so a front seat passenger has to be small or sit with a straight back. Back seat can still accommodate 2 avg side adults.

The truck still allows for all the gear you need. Add a fold up full size stroller and u at the limit. For just mom dad and baby with all gear and its fine. Add another passenger and things get complicated.

Soon were going to change the infant seat for a next stage one. Those are bigger so I expect to lose some more space.

If u can get the tray covered watertight then u better off for space. That wasn't an option for me as I need mine open.

All in all it can work, but a wagon or suv will work better.

Venum, thanks for the response. I'd continue this via PM so as not to spam the thread but I'm grateful for all the advice and knowledge I can get. Well tbh, I'm coming from an AD Wagon, and with the exception of the trunk, I don't find it that spacious especially wrt what you were saying about the car seat on the back seat..my wife and I are still debating between an SUV and a pickup but with the continous removal of the fuel subsidy and the amount of driving we do, I'm really leaning towards diesel, and the diesel SUVs we've checked out unfortunately leave much to be desired but it's still an option. In terms of storage space, my wife is 5'2" so even when she's sitting in the back with the little one, I don't think she'd be that cramped plus this is our first baby and most of our family members have their own vehicles so a lot of passengers isn't really something we'd have to worry about for now. Unlike you, my tray can be covered but of course we'd maximize the tray space so a leather cover with snaps is a definite preference over a Roll-N-Lock, and I believe this should be watertight enough..not so?? Once again I appreciate that advice and will take all of it into consideration..before, during and after purchase, because even if we go with an SUV, not on any mamaguy thing but you guys have a vast amount of knowhow as it pertains to our vehicles that the interwebs won't always assist with.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » August 14th, 2016, 1:40 pm

The leather cover with the seal around the tray seems to be pretty watertight paid 1900 for it installed. Image

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » August 16th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Any recommendations for brand of front brake pads?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 17th, 2016, 3:05 pm

I'm using the Bosch front pads on my Sportero. Performance is as expected, nothing to complain about. **edit: not as good as OEM tho.

Side note, got the shocks at Maruds in Marabella.
Tokico Front (600ea)and KYB rear(400 ea). They also have OEM available for 1200 ea front

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » August 17th, 2016, 3:41 pm

Where you grabbed the Bosch?

Toyopet
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: RE: Re: TECH Thread - MITSUBISHI L200, Sportero, Triton.

Postby Toyopet » August 17th, 2016, 3:44 pm

tr1ad wrote:Where you grabbed the Bosch?

I usually get it from Repu, Gayah's or Budget Motors

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » August 17th, 2016, 7:07 pm

Thanks will collect tomorrow

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 18th, 2016, 9:46 pm

Triad I got my Bosch at Double R in Balmain, Couva.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » August 22nd, 2016, 2:25 pm

thanks for the info; didn't get the time to pick them up so the more locations better in the event i'm in the area.

to the 3.2 owners, what sort of fuel consumption you all get to 1/4 tank and empty?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 24th, 2016, 11:32 am

venum wrote:is it locked in 4H or 4L and teh light flashing

or is it actually in 2H and teh light flashing?

this is a common problem with L200's

there is a solenoid under the center console by the transfer lever that is usually the problem

you can also check for a defective vacuum line on the front diff. there are 2 wires on the actuator on teh front diff - trace and check as well

Thanks for this advice - got this intermittently over the past week and happens randomly. Sometimes when I start it's beginning to blink and if I cut power and restart motor it disappears. It started to happen after an underwash, so I'll have to check both the solenoid and the vacuum lines/actuator. In the event I have to replace either component, does anyone have the part numbers handy?

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » October 6th, 2016, 5:15 pm

pics for Joshie23 and others considering using your Sportero as a family vehicle

I have a Britax B-Safe infant seat in my back seat (https://us.britax.com/car-seats/b-safe)
and as mentioned before:

Back seat can still accommodate 2 avg side adults
Front seat has to move forward a bit so a front seat passenger has to be small or sit with a straight back, but still have sufficient leg room
You can run out of space quickly, but with just the basics still be comfortable

here are a few pics of the seat installed:

you can see there is still 2/3 of the back seat available

I also have the Britax B-Agile stroller bought as a combo
(https://us.britax.com/strollers/b-agile/)
that folds up pretty flat and can fit in the space between the car seat and the back of the front passenger seat (whre the baby bag is in the first pic) with just 1 click of the front seat moving forward or adjusting the front seat-back more vertical. Avg size adult can still fit in front seat. I'll try to post a pic of that

most uncomfortable bit is the rear fold up cup holder\armrest for the passenger who sits in the middle. it pokes them in the back. Sportero seats aren't the most comfortable all around

New car seat coming soon so I'll post pics of it installed

and if you are wondering, the mirror mounted on the rear headrest is a Britax Back Seat Mirror
(https://us.britax.com/accessories/back-seat-mirror/)

not intentionally advertising for Britax, just happy with their products :D

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 6th, 2016, 8:56 pm

My baby girl went straight from hospital to home in my L200 back in 2013.
Graco rear facing car seat until she was about 1, then a Recaro forward facing - behind the passenger seat.
She's now almost three and loves riding around in my little ole truck rather than mummys rolla.

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Postby tourniquet » October 10th, 2016, 8:16 pm

great post vexxx dog, every time I have to sit in the back seat of a ford, mazda, nissan from our 2008 sportero's era, I realize how much ahead of the game this van was. Only fault with ours was the latch to fold the seat back down squeaked a bit, but some wrapping with rubber tape took care of that.

GA16
Sweet on this forum

cylinder head for sportero

Postby GA16 » October 13th, 2016, 9:23 am

I Need a Cylinder head for my Sportero, can anyone suggest where I can get one or has one for sale? 4D56 DI-D common rail

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » October 13th, 2016, 12:30 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:My baby girl went straight from hospital to home in my L200 back in 2013.
loves riding around in my little ole truck rather than mummys rolla.

That was my plan too, but wife's Dr. advised against having her climb up into the truck on hospital discharge, so he went home in another Mitsubishi
he much prefers my L200 than mummy's Lancer . . . diesel baby

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » October 13th, 2016, 2:46 pm

tr1ad wrote:
to the 3.2 owners, what sort of fuel consumption you all get to 1/4 tank and empty?

Toyopet
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Toyopet » October 13th, 2016, 2:50 pm

tr1ad wrote:
tr1ad wrote:

To gas light I usually get about 550kms. I ain't fill up in a while so idk how much it'll take with the be price

25 to LIFE
Street 2NR

Postby 25 to LIFE » October 13th, 2016, 2:53 pm

Fellow owners, my 4wd is not engaging. The light blinks when I engage it and the back locks up but no movement from the front. Can anyone recommend someone to sort it out. I read online that it may be an easy fix if the vacuum lines are faulty but have no time or hepl to check it.

25 to LIFE
Street 2NR

Postby 25 to LIFE » October 13th, 2016, 2:53 pm

Fellow owners, my 4wd is not engaging. The light blinks when I engage it and the back locks up but no movement from the front. Can anyone recommend someone to sort it out. I read online that it may be an easy fix if the vacuum lines are faulty but have no time or hepl to check it.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » October 13th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Toyopet wrote:
tr1ad wrote:
tr1ad wrote:

To gas light I usually get about 550kms. I ain't fill up in a while so idk how much it'll take with the be price

Yea I'm not getting that at all..... Sent it in for a service / injector cleaning today

Toyopet
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Toyopet » October 13th, 2016, 3:12 pm

tr1ad wrote:
Toyopet wrote:
tr1ad wrote:
tr1ad wrote:

Yea I'm not getting that at all..... Sent it in for a service / injector cleaning today

I usually reset the info display every time I fill up and manage about 12L/100km

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » October 13th, 2016, 4:20 pm

Toyopet wrote:
tr1ad wrote:
Toyopet wrote:
tr1ad wrote:
tr1ad wrote:

I usually reset the info display every time I fill up and manage about 12L/100km

Will reset it as well after the service, when I dropped it in this morning it was saying 15.4L/100km but was less than 1/4 tank and I got 365km

Go figure

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”