This thread would outline the procedure to have your mandatory annual inspection of your T registered vehicle at Licensing Office.
While there are many private inspection garages all over our country that perform inspection of private registered vehicles, the following vehicles MUST have their annual inspection done at Licensing Office:
T Registered vehicles (e.g. License plates = TAS, TBP, TCF)
H Registered taxi vehicles (e.g. License plates = HAO, HBH, HCL)
Inspection can only be done at the following Licensing Office branches:
Inspection of all T Registered vehicles is required annually REGARDLESS of the age of the vehicle - even brand new ones. Dealerships usually deliver brand new vehicles with the inspection done for the first year, only evident by the sticker and\or the inspection certificate
I am creating this thread as I go about to do mine.
Our friendly neighbourhood Mods plz sticky-fy it
Inspection is by appointment.PROCEUDRE:
1. Go to Licensing Office in South, POS or Tobago.
2. Fill out the Inspection form - Owners Name and Vehicle registration number
3. Pay TT$300.00 at the Cashier - Cash only, no LINX
4. Collect your receipt
5. Take receipt to the office at the Inspection Pit to get your appointment. This is usually 1-2 weeks from the date of payment. The clerk will write the appointment date and time at the back of the receipt. DO NOT LOSE YOUR RECEIPT.
6. On date of appointment, go to Licensing Office and line up your vehicle for inspection at the Pit. YOU NEED YOUR CERTIFIED COPY.
7. Your certified copy and payment receipt will be requested while you are in the line.
8. Your engine and chassis numbers on your vehicle will be checked against what is on your certified copy
9. You enter the inspection pit asked to switch off engine and the following are checked (not necessarily in the order listed):
ii. lights - front and rear park lights, brake lights, headlights High and Low beam, hazzard lights
iii. wipers work (usually just low speed)
iv. windshield washer spray (need to actually spray liquid)
Although I stated that you are asked to switch off your engine, for the items above that require your key to be in the Acc position - plz do so.
10. Officer goes under vehicle and checks:
v. brakes - may ask you to pump brakes
vi. steering linkages - steering ends, idler arms
vii. Officer will ask you rock your steering from side to side. they may also do this themselves
for this your undercarriage is required to be washed and clean - no shock oil
an engine wash is also required.
11. The last part of the inspection test they will ask you leave the inspection area and upon exiting the pit pull your mash your foot brakes and pull handbrakes.
12. when done you would have to leave the inspection area and return on foot.
13. if you have failed, they usually tell you why - what to fix and return.
14. if you have passed, you are required to wait around the pit area while your inspection papers are prepared and listen for your license plate number to be called.
15. you will then be given your certificate and windshield sticker
you are required to keep the inspection certificate in your vehicle at all times.
Please add any tips that would be helpful and allow for a successfull pass:
if inspecting a company vehicle, it is a good idea to send the employee with a letter, not sure if company ID is acceptable
Please readers, note that the fine for non-inspected vehicles is TT$5000.00DISCLAIMER: The experiences and encounters by different posters at the different License Office branches differ vastly given the non-standards that exist. This thread is not authoritative, but merely a guide.