TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Inspecting your Truck in Licensing Office

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Inspecting your Truck in Licensing Office

Postby rmrunner » February 23rd, 2012, 9:18 pm

topshotta20 wrote:does the 5 yr period apply to T vehicles as well?

No. "T" vehicles suppose to be licensed every year in license office. No matter the age old or brand new.

Rutless Tiida
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Rutless Tiida » February 24th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Rutless Tiida wrote:Chapter 48:50
Part V

INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
27. (1) A registered owner of a public service motor vehicle,
rental car, goods vehicle, omnibus, tractor or trailer shall produce
it for inspection by a Transport Officer, annually as the Licensing
Authority may direct and shall, at the same time, furnish him with
such information as may be required including the following:
(a) the name of the manufacturer of the chassis;
(b) model;
(c) engine number and number of cylinders;
(d) year manufactured;
(e) factory number of chassis, body number or VIN number;
(f) maximum gross weight in kilogrammes;
(g) type of body.

so, however, that a registered owner of a private motor vehicle or
motorcycle where such motor vehicle or motorcycle is five years
old or more, shall produce it for inspection by an examiner
biennially, at such premises designated for that purpose as the
Licensing Authority may direct.

(11) A registered owner of a private motor vehicle or
motorcycle, public service motor vehicle, rental car, goods vehicle,
omnibus or trailer who fails to produce the vehicle for inspection or
drives the vehicle without obtaining an inspection sticker and
certificate in accordance with these Regulations commits an offence
and is liable, on summary conviction, to a fine of five thousand dollars

OK guys read the law carefully please...
Basically if you have a P vehicle it is 5 yrs then every other year.
If you have a T, H, R it is every year.

I went for inspection today. Failed on the first try. I got a defects list. In my case it had Adjust Handbrake....So got it adjusted and went back same day. I only had to do the Handbrake test passed the second time....

Secondly I asked the inspector about lights on the top of the vehicle he said they are illegal even if they do not work or covered and it is a $1000 ticket....

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » February 24th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Did they make you pay another $300,when u went back?

Rutless Tiida
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Rutless Tiida » March 1st, 2012, 10:32 am

nope. they attached the original receipt on to the defects sheet.

Oh and guys they are printing your licence plate number and date of inspection on the sticker.....

curryduck09
Riding on 13's

Postby curryduck09 » March 1st, 2012, 10:52 am

Made appointment today March 01st, got April 12th! Over 6 weeks! This will be my first inspection since the initial inspection done when I bought the van. The date on my current inspection sticker runs up to March 16th, so I asked the "lady" issuing appointment dates if I could be charged if I drive the vehicle after March 16th, she say yes, so I ask her what I was supposed to do until April 12th, she say "doh drive d vehicle!", then she gone off on she high horse about "is not my problem if you wait until the ting expire to come in!". I thought about pointing out that it hadn't already expired, and that I anticipated an appointment within two weeks (which seemed a reasonable amount of time), but then she looked at me with the evil public servant eyes, (by the way I'm not bashing all public servants; because I was one for a time, only the ones who get on like they doing you a favour).

So anyway, hadda hope I ain't get caught in a roadblock until after April 12th. There should be some sort of discretion in the law for situations like this. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen any notices that say you have to make an appointment two months in advance.

Rutless Tiida
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Rutless Tiida » March 1st, 2012, 3:29 pm

yeah...I realized that ...
what you need to do is make it like 6 months in advance because you can go in any day after the date they give you

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » March 4th, 2012, 6:40 pm

curryduck09 wrote: So anyway, hadda hope I ain't get caught in a roadblock until after April 12th. There should be some sort of discretion in the law for situations like this. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen any notices that say you have to make an appointment two months in advance.

just keep the appointment receipt with you

if caught, show the popo the receipt and be polite, they may give you a bligh

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Postby tourniquet » March 6th, 2012, 2:30 pm

I guess since everyone telling their cool stories......

Went to licensing office in San Fernando, drove over the pit, stayed there for a little over 20 minutes unattended; no one asked for lights, wiper, horn test, or walked under the pickup :S Eventually some guy strolled by, said to do the brakes test and that was that; got the sticker a little later :?
*sigh*

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » March 6th, 2012, 7:18 pm

^^^ that's not cool :-o . . . it's awesome :wink:

it is really an unpredictable activity

SUPERMAN2
Trinituner Peong

Postby SUPERMAN2 » March 17th, 2012, 1:18 pm

can u make a van P instead of T

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » March 18th, 2012, 12:31 am

sure... just take some chalk and draw an extra curve onto the T.. :)

but no i dunno if u can...

SUPERMAN2
Trinituner Peong

Postby SUPERMAN2 » March 18th, 2012, 7:12 am

hahahahahhaahhahahaahah

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » March 18th, 2012, 6:36 pm

SUPERMAN2 wrote:can u make a van P instead of T

yes you can

you have to attach a non-removeable, fixed cover on the tray like a canopy, brahma top

not one of the retractable roll-n-lock or those carryboy tonneau covers

essentially make it look like an suv

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » March 20th, 2012, 6:15 pm

curryduck09 wrote:Made appointment today March 01st, got April 12th! Over 6 weeks! This will be my first inspection since the initial inspection done when I bought the van. The date on my current inspection sticker runs up to March 16th, so I asked the "lady" issuing appointment dates if I could be charged if I drive the vehicle after March 16th, she say yes, so I ask her what I was supposed to do until April 12th, she say "doh drive d vehicle!", then she gone off on she high horse about "is not my problem if you wait until the ting expire to come in!". I thought about pointing out that it hadn't already expired, and that I anticipated an appointment within two weeks (which seemed a reasonable amount of time), but then she looked at me with the evil public servant eyes, (by the way I'm not bashing all public servants; because I was one for a time, only the ones who get on like they doing you a favour).

So anyway, hadda hope I ain't get caught in a roadblock until after April 12th. There should be some sort of discretion in the law for situations like this. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen any notices that say you have to make an appointment two months in advance.

appointment @ sando or pos ?

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » March 21st, 2012, 12:42 am

i got my appointment - will be bringing the ol' datsun to Licensing Office, POS Wrightson road to be promptly and expertly inspected by the capable licensing officers of the Ministry of Works & Transport.... in 3 facking months.

My receipt says - 8th May 2012.

*steups*

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » March 21st, 2012, 9:16 am

seems there is a bcak log..

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » March 21st, 2012, 10:59 pm

stupid bcak log... bleh!

newto4x4
3NE 2NR for life

Postby newto4x4 » March 22nd, 2012, 11:19 am

Got the Hilux done yesterday.
Failed at first because of Stickon MGW & TARE sign.
Removed and painted at LO for $150.
Had to rejoin the line and wait and it took about 2hrs after to get the certificate.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » June 24th, 2012, 5:29 pm

anyone ever missed their appointment?do i have to make a new one and pay or just show up another day ?

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » June 24th, 2012, 11:32 pm

just show up

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » June 25th, 2012, 7:10 am

thanks for the info

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » July 20th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Got mine done today

Inspector looked at the pickup asked to put on lights, blow horn turn steering left to right then test hand and foot brake less than 5 mins.
however it took almost an hour to get the certificate because they were changing lights in the office and I did not get my inspection sticker. Need to go back for that.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » July 24th, 2012, 12:06 am

Did mine on the same date as above, back on 8th may.

First they ask u for ur chassis no., my nav's was on the frame below the driver door.
Then I drove over the pit, the officer made me check all lights, indicators, wipers, horn. Then, being my vehicle was manual, he made me pull up the handbrake and try to pull off amd stall the engine, which I did. Then I had to start up, pull off in 1st gear then mash the brakes bard to come to a complete stop. After that, he said come back after 1PM to pick up my sticker.

Went to west mall, ate an overpriced lunch at burger king, stopped at the ATM to pick up some more cash for diesel cuz I forgot and spent most of my diesel money on a double whopper.... Hen went back at 2:30PM amd got my sticker.

Went to the parking lot all happy and whatnot, decided to put on the sticker.... Cleaned the windshield with my handy chamois and carefully applied the vinyl sticker. Went outside to the front of the truck to admire my brand new sticker - which I had put on crooked.

kual
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby kual » July 26th, 2012, 7:57 am

lighthammer wrote:Did mine on the same date as above, back on 8th may.

First they ask u for ur chassis no., my nav's was on the frame below the driver door.
Then I drove over the pit, the officer made me check all lights, indicators, wipers, horn. Then, being my vehicle was manual, he made me pull up the handbrake and try to pull off amd stall the engine, which I did. Then I had to start up, pull off in 1st gear then mash the brakes bard to come to a complete stop. After that, he said come back after 1PM to pick up my sticker.

Went to west mall, ate an overpriced lunch at burger king, stopped at the ATM to pick up some more cash for diesel cuz I forgot and spent most of my diesel money on a double whopper.... Hen went back at 2:30PM amd got my sticker.

Went to the parking lot all happy and whatnot, decided to put on the sticker.... Cleaned the windshield with my handy chamois and carefully applied the vinyl sticker. Went outside to the front of the truck to admire my brand new sticker - which I had put on crooked.

Dear Diary,

This above was my experience today.

siner69
Street 2NR

Postby siner69 » July 31st, 2012, 8:57 pm

Ok guys, went and did my inspection today. Before you enter the pit, they check engine and chassis no...to be honest with you, they don't do any major checking. Then you roll unto the pit, they check your lights, horn, ect...Then they made me do handbrake test, the details of which wasn't mentioned in this thread for newbies. With your handbrake up, you have to put it in second, and come off the clutch as you mash you gas gently. The vehicle is not supposed to move off, else they tell you to adjust it.

The footbrake test, I saw like ppl were doing it for the heck of it, cause once i rolled off the pit, the officer didn't seem to be interested...

Once passed, they just give an inspection certificate. I asked about the sticker, someone in the crowd just said "no sticker", so I wasn't sure if that meant they stopped giving out stickers or they currently have none. So i asked the lady inside, (who btw, looks like one of the vendors they take from selling out front), she said "ent yuh hear the man say no sticker"...hmm, so I didn't bother anymore.

Just out of curiosity though, now that license office do their own pictures for the permits, why are their still ppl outside asking if you want pictures?? learners permit perhaps?

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » July 31st, 2012, 9:44 pm

siner69 wrote:Then they made me do handbrake test, the details of which wasn't mentioned in this thread for newbies. With your handbrake up, you have to put it in second, and come off the clutch as you mash you gas gently. The vehicle is not supposed to move off, else they tell you to adjust it.

The footbrake test, I saw like ppl were doing it for the heck of it, cause once i rolled off the pit, the officer didn't seem to be interested...

as the starter of this thread, I have to respond to this.

this test seems to be new as I have never seen this done, neither had this experience when inspecting my manual or automatic truck, nor has anyone ever mentioned it in earlier posts

everything else that you experienced in your inspection, was pretty much mentioned and discussed

if it is not new, then it has to be something that was not enforced, which is not surprising as the Licensing officers are very inconsistent in their checks

newer vehicles are almost passed automatically, only failing for obvious violations like illegal lights. The officers do not really inspect anything in teh newer trucks - drive up to the pit, sound your horn, put on your lights and do teh handbrake and foot brake test

Their focus seems to be on the older vehicles, which they pay more detailed attention to.

anyone with more info on this 'new' test, plz post your experiences

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » August 3rd, 2012, 12:23 pm

So i asked the lady inside, (who btw, looks like one of the vendors they take from selling out front), she said "ent yuh hear the man say no sticker"...hmm, so I didn't bother anymore.

Yeah boy, she's a real gargoyle, with a stink attitude... sour for days.

BUt, i guess since she has to deal with idiots whole day long, that's a side effect.

Customer service still sucks though.... they could easily upgrade the sticker process. I guess they have a nostalgia thing going on, where they like to do things like they did back in the good ol' days of the 1970's...

Jimbo
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Jimbo » December 2nd, 2013, 5:28 pm

Bump for good info. That doubles man still there?

Richard Marshall
Riding on 17's

Postby Richard Marshall » June 22nd, 2014, 4:40 pm

Doubles man still there, and will always be, till the apocalypse starts.

siner69
Street 2NR

Postby siner69 » October 21st, 2014, 9:49 am

Well seeing that they going to start re-enforcing these things, I need to get my inspection up to par. Quick question though, does the person whose name is on the Certified Copy need to be there? Or anyone can do and do the inspection process?

Do they ask for ID to confirm that you are the owner of the vehicle?

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”