TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Increased boost on Mitsubishi 4D56

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Timeshift
Riding on 13's

Re: Increased boost on Mitsubishi 4D56

Postby Timeshift » October 15th, 2011, 8:52 am

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » October 15th, 2011, 5:31 pm

very nice.

*thumbs up*

speedaholic
Shifting into 6th

Postby speedaholic » October 15th, 2011, 11:11 pm

hmmm that giving me ideas! :D!

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » October 16th, 2011, 10:57 pm

^^ he's got the need... the need, for SPEED!

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » October 17th, 2011, 12:28 am

Aye, heads up on this...

This week, I took down my intercooler and decided to clean/flush it out right...
It took me 2 flushes with brake fluid, one with gumsolve and 6 with purple blaster to get all the oil that was gumming it up out of there...
The EGR in this case is the guilty party.. Therefore I am installing a catch can tomorrow that I modified (see link) before putting back up the intercooler...
Last edited by CD4Accord on October 18th, 2011, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » October 17th, 2011, 12:32 pm

i wish my catch can had baffles it really dont do sheit without baffles.. also it cant open to install steel wool. its leaking like crazy from the in and out nipples which are only 1 allen key fasteners each wit some chinee sealant that is leaking.

Also, im gettin one set of oil coming up by the turbo inlet.. even coming up tru my boost hoses , possible leading to my boost gauge..

any ideas wat can be causing the oil to be coming up by the turbo?
I dont burn an excessive amount of oil per say as i check my fluid levels daily and after long hard runs and monitor closely.

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » October 17th, 2011, 12:37 pm

what is the purpose of the cylindrical fitting that is installed to the back of the intake manifold of the 4d56T close to the firewall? it has no lines attached to it, its just threaded into the manifold

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » October 18th, 2011, 12:25 am

I will take a look tomorrow and see if I can make sense of it.. I can't really picture the fitting that you are talking about.. A picture might help but I am no expert..

Try signing up for the Pajero UK club forum, they can help with all things 4D56

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » October 18th, 2011, 1:16 am

see the attached pic..
red arrow depicts fitting spoken about in my previous post.
Attachments
20110824153 (Small)1 (Small).jpg

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » October 20th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Sorry I took so long to get back but it been real busy recently...

That is essentially an overboost valve.... ie. a failsafe for the turbo.
If the boost gets up to around 17psi I think (not sure about the figure) that will release all the boost for the sake of preserving the engine..

Your engine bay look like it begging for an intercooler!

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » October 20th, 2011, 12:23 pm

thought so.. and yes, it vents jus a lil bit over 15psi cos of the spiking of the boost controller.

was goin up in bamboo today to look for a top mount cooler.

any ideas? do u think the stock sized pajero cooler is good enough? or buy and aftermarket cooler?

I have this 1100 credit note from autoramas so wanted to chech them first...

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » October 20th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Question:

If the engine regularly sees this psi, to lift the overboost valve, will it damage? or it is still within safe limits?

At present I am not sure my wastegate lifts. Its probably adjusted too high.

And how crucial is preload setting on these diesel turbos' wastegate actuators?
(Came across a vid on youtube bout preloading setting nah)

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » October 20th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Well, most people on the pajero forums always recommend spacing the actuator rod 3mm using washers if you plan on increasing boost..

I don't think hitting max boost often is a problem for the overboost valve but it is a waste of boost.. Better off getting a competent controller and setting it about 1.5psi lower than the max...

Concerning the top mount intercooler, I think that it is more than adequate if you get one in good condition and clean out the insides using some degreaser before mounting it up.. They shouldn't charge you too much for it I hope though..

I need a favour if you don't mind... As you are already up there, is there any chance you can price out two things for me?

1. Exhaust manifold for the 4d56t
2. Original fogs for the MK2 pajero (PBF)... I have been looking for these everywhere...

Thanks

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » October 21st, 2011, 12:13 am

got a 4d56T cooler from pajero for 650 at prabhus.
bamboo marketing had the same ting for 1200 wtf!

auto ramas had one 4m40 intercooler on a engine but they were not parting with it.. so i still have a credit note from them to use up if neone interested. (its 1100 tt btw) peeps help me get back meh money!..

anyhow the 4m40 cooler is muy sexxy... had a decent size also..
but i settled for the 4d56T air cooled intercooler.

i asked around for exhaust and intake manifolds for 4d56T.. but nobody had any to sell...

sorry i didnt read ur msg in time. now seeing you are looking for fogs.

I plan on using the NA intake manifold wit aftermarket bends and piping to fab up this intercooler to work on my engine. It has a fan under it also a sensor which i presume is a temp sensor???
the charged air is really hot, do you have any idea of temps after the intercooler on your stock set up?

What does the sensor on the intercooler connect to on the pajero?

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » October 21st, 2011, 1:22 am

The intercooler has 2 plugs, one brown one black... If I am not mistaken, the black is the power supply and the brown uses the intake temperature to decide if to run the intercooler fan or not.
http://www.motortalk.ru/files/15.pdf
Check out that link...

Intention is to get it to suck air through the cooler at low speeds though... If you don't have the temp sensor you can possibly wire it up to run full-time even though I am not sure how long the fan would last like that..

Also, I agree that the 4m40 intercooler is a beautiful thing compared to the 4d56t, but I prefer the parts availability of my motor..

Don't forget to clean the inside of the intercooler before you mount it up!
You probably don't need to do much metal fab work.. Some self threading screws will probably hold it in place (with washers) and you can connect up all the piping using silicone hose? Those bamboo people should have thrown in the stock hoses for free though..

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » October 21st, 2011, 1:23 am

Sorry you didn't see the message about the fogs earlier but odds are you will not find them anyway.. I have been looking for years and never came across any factory fogs in Trinidad for this vehicle..

Anyway, good luck and keep me posted..
This coming week is going to be a bad one for me so it may delay things (yet again)..
I really need to kick my project into high gear.

rekesh
Riding on 13's

Postby rekesh » July 29th, 2013, 9:40 pm

hey fellas im new here im lookin for a ribbon for my steerin k74t model any1 have?

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » August 1st, 2013, 11:04 am

Pajero 4d56 top mount intercooler for sale and other mitsu parts.

See my FS thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=481739&p=6804073#p6804073

Use the search feature.

inbox for details.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 9th, 2018, 4:22 am

cutthroatInt wrote:Good morning fellas!!!.. and what a good morning it has been! :D

just an update,

initially when i installed the boost gauge i could swear i was getting 8 psi.

for the last couple days the max i was getting was 6psi.. and it takes a very very long time to reach that.
so bright and early this morning after suspicion that my last mechanic did interfere with his father head and adjusted my waste gate, i went ahead and adjusted the rod a couple threads up to where i think i saw the original threads marked.
i also used an air compressor and pumped some air into the actuator to make sure it was activating and it was.
I drained my oil catch can which collected bout half a table spoon of oil.
(cheap thing no good for real yes, the inlet and outlet nipples of this can is attached to the can via an allen bolt and some sealant. i have to re seal this as its leakin at this point.)

it seems as tho my wastegate actuator on the 4d56 was adjusted wayyy to low.
At idle after a few mins of warm up, i revved the engine and the needle happily climed to 4-5 psi..
it never did that before...

and frankly i thought it was strange as i kno gasoline turbo engines do not build boost at idle and in neutral.. atleast one that i witnessed personally.

so i packed up all my tools and locked up garage and went for my test drive, sando tech flyover to claxton bay flyover.

engine builts boost almost instantly when driving.
i still cannot tell rpm as i havnt gotten my tacho to hook up yet. (need help on this)

the adjustment i made on the actuator rod sent boost straight up to 9psi on throttle ... and i can get that on all 5 gears.

on the highway it holds that pressure without dropping off... so right now its set at 9psi.

i really want to know what is the stock boost setting on an original pajero/l200 set up to ensure im not "overboosting" right now.

i;ll hav to give it an engine wash and monitor things now cos im seeing oil all over the place.. im hoping its the leakin oil catch can throwing oil all over.

if there is safe room to raise more boost i think i;ll just adjust the wastegate some more and not install the boost controller.. atleast not untill i do install the intercooler.

accord man, for the intercooled engine in the pajero, i tink you should adjust that first before the controller as well... unless assuming the max you'll get off the wategate adjustment is 10psi after which u will not be able to get any more boost with a stock waste gate.

i will monitor things for a week or so.. i do a lot of mileage so will be able to quickly ascertain performance.. fuel mileage etc then consider turning it up a few notches if atall.

oh, forgot to mention, smoking was reduced considerable... on throttle where i wud normally look in my side mirror to see if i dusting for mosquitoe, there was no smoke.

i havnt tinkered wit the fuel pump..
atleast for now it seems like all it needed was more air flow to mix wit the diesel.

totally different driving feel im getting now.. van is very lively and responsive... :D

think i need to change pads from OHK to sumting different... im mashing more brakes now lol
and im getting brake fade.. and a slight spongy feel.

fluid tops, lines tops, brakes master cylinder kit changed recently, rear shoes are OHK also and in good condition and tension.

any recommendations?

only down side, my engine temp went up a tad bit faster. but i kno it has to do with the increased load its getting and the immensely hott midday sun!

so now back on the agenda, consideration of upgraded radiator as well or twin electric fans which im leaning towards for some reason.
since u use the oil catch can .. is your intake n turbo diesel clean? n inter cooler lines

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 9th, 2018, 4:24 am

madcoolieboy wrote:stock boost is 8-10 psi on the 4d56t......remember you cannot cross 15psi with a stock manifold eh guys......relief valve opens. unless yuh play mad an take out the valve and blank the hole with a huge bolt.. btw ah have a 4d56t block put down(no crank) just block,sump,pistons,rods if anybody want one.

all 4d56's have overheating and thermostat issues. i advise u remove your thermostat.
sounds like a mazda bt50 wl engine.. same symptoms.. i advise clean radiator n water pump n get original thermostat.. cause without it ..d fuel economy drops n temps fluctuate more rapidly

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » October 16th, 2018, 3:18 am

cutthroatInt wrote:I bought boost gauge, oil catch can, boost controller today.

installed oil catch can and boost gauge.

Im gettin 8psi max right now.
what is the stock boost setting on a 4d56T (assuming pajero/L300 engine)

i want to set back my OEM wastegate to where it should be.. before i install the controller and start diggin up.

Accord man, u mentioned that you have a modified catch can to install? what is modified bout it and why? is it something specific for diesel engines?

from tappet cover, i run hose to can.. and i did not run a return hose back to intake... i put a small air breather filter. but alot of air is venting tru that small filter now and making one set ah noise... and sort of fumzing up the place. when the engine shuts off i get about 3-5 sec hissing sound through the filter. so from a previous post in another thread, backpressure seems to be ok on the engine.

i guess i just hav to monitor oil accumulation in the can.
that is illegal to do in foreign . pollution. run it back to intake .. so turbo could pull it in n recycle n create a vacuum

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”