TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Black Smoke - Navara

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
IdleMind2504
Sweet on this forum

Black Smoke - Navara

Postby IdleMind2504 » March 22nd, 2013, 9:16 am

Hey Guys,

My navara 4x2 SE (local), is spitting out black smoke when I cross 120KM/H, it does not happen initially, I can run at over 120 for a couple minutes then the smoke starts and the van looses power and continues to smoke once I accelerate to around 3K RPM.

If I keep it under 120KM/H and 3K RPM the van works fine... I have done my service and all filters changed.

Ideas on what next to do? Van is no longer under warranty by Massy btw.

droppa
punchin NOS

Re: Black Smoke - Navara

Postby droppa » March 22nd, 2013, 2:08 pm

if yuh service done and in order, i would try some amsiol cetane boost and some injector cleaner to maybe half or less tank of fuel.....

im leaning to dirty injectors causing this issues.....

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » March 22nd, 2013, 7:33 pm

can the amsoil diesel concentrate be used to service a diesel engine?or do i have to use the cetane boost??

android79
3NE 2NR for life

Postby android79 » March 22nd, 2013, 10:14 pm

IdleMind2504 I am 90 percent sure I know what your problem is! I work on these vehicles every day and the number one cause of Navara black smoking the way you mention is the intake ducting. On Navaras the intake duct between air filter box and the turbo is very soft, when the turbo starts to spool the low pressure causes the duct to collapse on it self thereby stifling the engine causing your black smoke.To verify have some one mash full throttle and observe the intake duct. This problem is made worst by waiting too long to change you air filter.even if your filter clean take it out and drive without it and see.

dorgy
Ricer

Postby dorgy » March 25th, 2013, 4:58 pm

black smoke n loss in power cud mean worn piston rings had d same prob wit my ld20 diesel rite now i rebuildin d engine

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » March 27th, 2013, 12:38 am

IdleMind2504 wrote:Hey Guys,

My navara 4x2 SE (local), is spitting out black smoke when I cross 120KM/H, it does not happen initially, I can run at over 120 for a couple minutes then the smoke starts and the van looses power and continues to smoke once I accelerate to around 3K RPM.

If I keep it under 120KM/H and 3K RPM the van works fine... I have done my service and all filters changed.

Start with the basic possibilities first, and eliminate them one by one...
Black smoke is usually caused by a poor air:fuel ratio.

- check air filter for dirty/clogged filter
- check hoses for leaks and sagging (as pointed out earlier)

- dirty injectors can also cause poor atomization of fuel in the cylinder, hence poor combustion and excess smoke..... clean the injectors with a good diesel treatment, and it would be good to use a regular maintenance fluid like the Amsoil Diesel Concentrate & Cetane boost (i usually buy both, mix both into one bottle half-half, and pour 2-ounces into the tank per fillup.... remember it's concentrated, unlike other treatments!). To use amsoil diesel concentrate to clean ur injectors and fuel system, pour 8 ounces of the concentrate or 1/2 a bottle (instead of the usual 2 oz) in a full tank of diesel, run till almost empty, and then repeat for next tank if necessary.

You can also use Liquid Moly which is an excellent product to clean out a dirty fuel system... dump a full bottle of the Diesel Additive in a tank and run it down to almost empty.. just as good as the amsoil.

Navara's are notorious for being sensitive to our local dirty low grade diesel, and are slightly de-tuned so to speak from original Japan/Thailand specs on their ECU's (as I heard from a reliable source).

Next time you change your oil, or anytime you feel like it, try an ECU reset of the engine to reset your ECU and restore original specs.

Two methods:

1. switch off the engine
2. disconnect the battery (both terminals)
3. pump the brakes a couple times and switch on the ignition while battery is disconnected, then switch back to off... this is to discharge any residual charge left in the electrical system
4. Reconnect the battery
5. Start up the engine, and take the van for a short drive.... well, long enough for you to be able to have to use all 5 (auto trans) or 6 (manual trans) gears.... but drive gently/easily so that the revs are kept minimal as possible to go through the range of gears
6. get back home or to the garage and park up, then switch off.

This will reset the ecu and get it to re-learn your driving style - it will learn a more gentle shifting and fuel-mapping curve so as to not over-pulse the injectors with fuel and give black smoke.

Hope that helps, that's what I usually do to my ol' datsun whenever she starts to fart out the black stuff.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » March 27th, 2013, 9:32 am

check the intake hoses especially the compression side between the turbo and intercooler. The intercooler entry end tends to slip out a bit and you lose boost.

Mech Mines
Street 2NR

Postby Mech Mines » March 27th, 2013, 10:07 am

Black smoke form a diesel engine is just unburnt fuel.
Causes

fuel ratio is incorrect/Over-fuelling/Excessive carbon build up in combustion and exhaust spaces/Cool operating temperatures( if you removed your thermo) /Faulty turbocharger (ie not enough air to match the fuel)/Restricted induction system (eg system too small or kinked inlet piping)

IdleMind2504
Sweet on this forum

Postby IdleMind2504 » July 1st, 2013, 8:33 am

Forgot to post a reply here, it was the hoses.

And thanks for the knowledge how to reset, I changed the hoses, filters everything and reset the ecu.

Van back to normal, thanks for all the help

IdleMind2504
Sweet on this forum

Postby IdleMind2504 » July 1st, 2013, 9:05 am

android79 wrote:IdleMind2504 I am 90 percent sure I know what your problem is! I work on these vehicles every day and the number one cause of Navara black smoking the way you mention is the intake ducting. On Navaras the intake duct between air filter box and the turbo is very soft, when the turbo starts to spool the low pressure causes the duct to collapse on it self thereby stifling the engine causing your black smoke.To verify have some one mash full throttle and observe the intake duct. This problem is made worst by waiting too long to change you air filter.even if your filter clean take it out and drive without it and see.

thanks android79, you were on point with the diagnosis !!! thanks again

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 2nd, 2013, 8:47 am

You changed the hose?

IdleMind2504
Sweet on this forum

Postby IdleMind2504 » August 23rd, 2013, 7:37 am

sound boy 64 wrote:You changed the hose?

yea, i changed the two hoses one time

sentraman
Riding on 17's

Postby sentraman » August 25th, 2013, 7:18 am

^^ Oem from massy?
What was the cost?

caglowe
3NE 2NR for life

Postby caglowe » August 25th, 2013, 10:18 pm

Good info I am having this same problem with a pathfinder will try this

BlueIce
punchin NOS

Postby BlueIce » August 27th, 2013, 3:25 pm

I had this exact issue recently and the following quote was the issue
android79 wrote:IdleMind2504 I am 90 percent sure I know what your problem is! I work on these vehicles every day and the number one cause of Navara black smoking the way you mention is the intake ducting. On Navaras the intake duct between air filter box and the turbo is very soft, when the turbo starts to spool the low pressure causes the duct to collapse on it self thereby stifling the engine causing your black smoke.To verify have some one mash full throttle and observe the intake duct. This problem is made worst by waiting too long to change you air filter.even if your filter clean take it out and drive without it and see.

timos976
Sweet on this forum

Postby timos976 » August 27th, 2013, 4:00 pm

lighthammer wrote:
IdleMind2504 wrote:Hey Guys,

Start with the basic possibilities first, and eliminate them one by one...
Black smoke is usually caused by a poor air:fuel ratio.

- check air filter for dirty/clogged filter
- check hoses for leaks and sagging (as pointed out earlier)

- dirty injectors can also cause poor atomization of fuel in the cylinder, hence poor combustion and excess smoke..... clean the injectors with a good diesel treatment, and it would be good to use a regular maintenance fluid like the Amsoil Diesel Concentrate & Cetane boost (i usually buy both, mix both into one bottle half-half, and pour 2-ounces into the tank per fillup.... remember it's concentrated, unlike other treatments!). To use amsoil diesel concentrate to clean ur injectors and fuel system, pour 8 ounces of the concentrate or 1/2 a bottle (instead of the usual 2 oz) in a full tank of diesel, run till almost empty, and then repeat for next tank if necessary.

You can also use Liquid Moly which is an excellent product to clean out a dirty fuel system... dump a full bottle of the Diesel Additive in a tank and run it down to almost empty.. just as good as the amsoil.

Navara's are notorious for being sensitive to our local dirty low grade diesel, and are slightly de-tuned so to speak from original Japan/Thailand specs on their ECU's (as I heard from a reliable source).

Next time you change your oil, or anytime you feel like it, try an ECU reset of the engine to reset your ECU and restore original specs.

Two methods:

1. switch off the engine
2. disconnect the battery (both terminals)
3. pump the brakes a couple times and switch on the ignition while battery is disconnected, then switch back to off... this is to discharge any residual charge left in the electrical system
4. Reconnect the battery
5. Start up the engine, and take the van for a short drive.... well, long enough for you to be able to have to use all 5 (auto trans) or 6 (manual trans) gears.... but drive gently/easily so that the revs are kept minimal as possible to go through the range of gears
6. get back home or to the garage and park up, then switch off.

This will reset the ecu and get it to re-learn your driving style - it will learn a more gentle shifting and fuel-mapping curve so as to not over-pulse the injectors with fuel and give black smoke.

Hope that helps, that's what I usually do to my ol' datsun whenever she starts to fart out the black stuff.

Good day sir,

My dad says its not good to run to almost empty.........he say it can daman the engine... what you view??

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » August 27th, 2013, 7:42 pm

timos976 wrote:Good day sir,

My dad says its not good to run to almost empty.........he say it can daman the engine... what you view??

run what empty?

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » August 27th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Fuel tank

nissan/nothing
Street 2NR

Postby nissan/nothing » October 9th, 2013, 8:23 am

EGR valve may need to be cleaned as well. This also contributes to excessive black smoke and power loss.

Apollo Trinidad
Sweet on this forum

Postby Apollo Trinidad » February 18th, 2014, 10:12 pm

just got mine from Massy, doing less than 4000km and it releases the black smoke especially during 2nd an 3rd gear....its a 6fwd LE 4x2...any views on what can be done?

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » February 21st, 2014, 10:15 pm

^pump reset.

check the Nissan specific thread

SiR8081
Sweet on this forum

Postby SiR8081 » March 3rd, 2014, 12:18 am

Where can i get the hose? I have the same problem with the hose from the turbo collapsing

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » March 3rd, 2014, 7:24 am

Change your air filter first though, how old is your navara because the newer ones supposedly come with the reinforced hose but Massey is supposed to sell them

SiR8081
Sweet on this forum

Postby SiR8081 » March 6th, 2014, 10:42 am

the vehicle has a new air filter. it is 6 years old. will give N&M a call.....

SiR8081
Sweet on this forum

Postby SiR8081 » March 11th, 2014, 8:58 am

doesnt matter now, turbo gone thru. this forum is no help

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 11th, 2014, 9:54 am

SiR8081 wrote:doesnt matter now, turbo gone thru. this forum is no help

:shock:

SiR8081
Sweet on this forum

Postby SiR8081 » March 15th, 2014, 11:56 am

Navara gone to fix. Having the turbo rebuilt using all OEM Nissan parts. Changing those stupid hoses too with OEM Nissan.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » March 15th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Where are you sourcing parts from OP the firm? Please keep us up to date, all the best hope your baby is back on the road soon

SiR8081
Sweet on this forum

Postby SiR8081 » March 28th, 2014, 12:08 pm

So we got back the navara since last week. The turbo is working fine, even got 8 months warranty on it from the guy who rebuilt it. However, I was unable to locate the hose coming from the turbo and running to the intercooler, as such we had to put a made up setup using aluminium piping and silicone hoses, however, the diameter of this new system is smaller than OEM and the van is missing a lot of power. N&M is out of stock at the moment.

Where can I get the hose to buy?

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » March 28th, 2014, 10:14 pm

^^ most tuner shops in central and south can easily supply the hose man, just call around.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”