TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

WLT Engine. Repair or replace?

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
adam_ant_tt
Sweet on this forum

WLT Engine. Repair or replace?

Postby adam_ant_tt » March 27th, 2013, 9:15 am

So guys.

Another horror story for everyone to learn from.

I purchased a b2500 that was advertising on tuner around christmas time.... and to cut a long story short, it's now belting out enough blue smoke to engulf the cars driving behind me. I know some of you may want to hear what led up to this but i'll save that for a little later. (time constraints)

Basically it seems like the issue is the rings, since the turbo shaft does not appear to be beaten out nearly enough to smoke that badly. FYI this engine supposedely has ~80,000KM on it.

So, assuming it is the rings, should i bother replacing them, or should i source a wl-t motor?

Also, are the wl-c motors available? and if so, approximate cost and if it will bolt into the b2500? that's the twin cam 2.5t from the newer bt50's

Thanks in advance guys.

Mech Mines
Street 2NR

Re: WLT Engine. Repair or replace?

Postby Mech Mines » March 27th, 2013, 9:58 am

If you said the van is only 80,000km them it should nt be the rings it be some thing else, that probably be easily repaired or less costly
call 3614048 specializes in mazda/ford pick ups

adam_ant_tt
Sweet on this forum

Postby adam_ant_tt » March 27th, 2013, 10:23 am

thanks. will check them out.

but i should have mentioned this: first time i took it to service by a guy called chris near monroe road flyover, whose number i got searching the forum.... he showed me the scene with the head looking like it was changed... he say it look like is a taiwanese head. and pointed out a bit of blow by coming from the crank case suggesting that the block suffered some damage from whatever caused the head to blow. (radiator was also changed also into a 2 core, supposedly at the same time.)

The intense blue smoke started only recently tho. smoking was fairly minimal before and more black ish.

That's probably an important part of the story.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » March 28th, 2013, 9:31 am

adam_ant_tt wrote:thanks. will check them out.

but i should have mentioned this: first time i took it to service by a guy called chris near monroe road flyover, whose number i got searching the forum.... he showed me the scene with the head looking like it was changed... he say it look like is a taiwanese head. and pointed out a bit of blow by coming from the crank case suggesting that the block suffered some damage from whatever caused the head to blow. (radiator was also changed also into a 2 core, supposedly at the same time.)

The intense blue smoke started only recently tho. smoking was fairly minimal before and more black ish.

That's probably an important part of the story.

Adan bro, long time
ah would have asked how u doing, but I can the answer would be "not good"

yes that is an important part of the story

WL's are know for overheating and head damage, and it seems that may be teh case with yours - changed head and radiator

the low mileage is irrelevant I would say as the van may have been abused by previous owner, maybe important maintenance not done, like oil changes etc so the engine would only manifest the symptoms

get the mech recommended by Mech Mines to check it out for an expert assessment of what the likely cost of repair would be and the reliability of the van after that.

compare with the cost of a good condition used engine and installation - do the 100,000km maintenance on it before installation, change coolant etc

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”