TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

BT 50 Burning oil

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
jerry2008
3NE 2NR for life

Re: BT 50 Burning oil

Postby jerry2008 » January 21st, 2014, 6:04 pm

The mechanic said most of those vehicle come with a defect on the head. Thats base on the amount he repaired so far. Forde and Mazda

cutthroatInt
Trinituner Peong

Postby cutthroatInt » January 25th, 2014, 8:07 am

^ there is a dude in claxton bay... an ole boy mech who used to work southern sales... now private... he told me these engines heads crack first .. then leads to overheating.

some WL engines come with inferior/defective valve guides area.... that area is where cracks on most of the engines after use... from there it gives u signs of overheating soon after..

i have also been told that the earlier WL engines didnt have these problems...

i hoping the latter is tru cos of my TCC bt50 doing 118k kms

I wud advise to help ur engine avoid any chance of overheating just in case.

ie. remove thermo stat..
good quality coolant and checked reguarly.
check clutch fan condition
water pump change at ur discretion
help ur AC system... there is no fan for the condensor.. install a good electric fan to help with cooling there and limiting heat soak... even tho its kinda inevietable.
regular oil change with correct oil. 10w40 seems to be working just fine for me and other ppl.

murphy gauge to prevent further damage should in case it does overheat

another thing is over revving of these engines. Yes when new they are peppy... but y wud u want to rev it beyond 3500rpm esp after knowing there are defects within the engine castings from factory.

Basically I wud advise the above in an effort to help with the longevity of ur engine.

babygirl
Street 2NR

Postby babygirl » June 24th, 2017, 10:08 am

Do not remove the thermostat! Replace it every 60,000km with new oem ($295). What happens when u remove thermostat causes more damage. These wl engines are designed to operate at a specific temp.
1. At operating temp the oil thins to allow easier passage through turbo, oil ports and valves etc. Cooler oil is thick and the engine works harder to force this oil through, causing premature wear.
2. The engine can still overheat without thermostat. On longer drives the water does not stay in radiator long enough to cool and continuously heats up because its constantly circulating. The thermostat keeps the water in the radiator for a little while to cool, then when thermostat opens, sends the hot water from engine to cool and sends the cool water to the engine to regulate temp.
3. Without thermostat, the wl engine's glow plugs remain on for a long time even when driving! These glow plugs are designed to stay on when engine is cold to help heat up engine quicker and prevent that loud knocking from a cold diesel engine. Dont believe me? Start the engine and put a test light on the glow plug wire by the rail and see how long it takes to turn off. It usually turns off when temp reaches 1/4 the way. This burns out the glow plugs, and glow plug relay. Engine then sounds old when started, and takes more cranks to start.
4. Without thermostat, the engine rings wear faster, because oil isnt thin enough to lubricate cylinder wall properly. Thus, backpressuring and oil burning.

So guys, lets replace the thermostat and not remove it. Engineers designed it for very specific reasons.

trebornattaj
3NE 2NR for life

Postby trebornattaj » June 24th, 2017, 11:20 am

Just a thought, with all these wl issues noted, does it make better sense doing a engine swap? Like a Nissan or even a Toyota?

babygirl
Street 2NR

Postby babygirl » June 24th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Hell no. The wl engine is very nice, torque, nice power vs rpm band, quiet, efficient and smooth. Toyota too expensive for swap, and nissan...well nissans give their own trouble. Like the yd frontiers give alot of trouble. Just maintain your vehicle according to the manual and manufacturer specs. Thats all! And any vehicle u have will work great. Trinis like to listen to mango tree mechanic and shortcut. Use correct oil, proper coolant (not water), check or replace parts as outlined in manual and thats it. It is that simple.

trebornattaj
3NE 2NR for life

Postby trebornattaj » June 24th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Fair enough, not dissing the wl, just don't like headache, BTW, Nissan has some very good engines eh , Yd not included, but ld28, td 27, qd32

babygirl
Street 2NR

Postby babygirl » June 25th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Agreed, but nissan engine bolted to nissan chassis with nissan diff is good. Had a 720 with orginal engine that never ever failed. NEVER. it took licks, and licks and licks and neglect because it was a work vehicle and still, was the most reliable. I believe they downgraded with the frontier, and then upgraded to the times with navara.

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » June 25th, 2017, 6:08 pm

CD4Accord wrote:I have to ask... What caused the head to crack? Was there ever any incidence of overheating?

seems to be the norm with the Wl engine...the reason im still trying to find out... :oops:

babygirl
Street 2NR

Postby babygirl » June 25th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Lack of proper maintenance. Had one doing 180xxx kms, never had a problem. Have one currently doing 120xxx kms, never had a problem. Know a lot of people who had the cyl head crack on them, then know a lot who didnt. Just prevent and overheat and you good. The block is aluminium and the head is cast iron, so beyond normal operating temp the block will expand thermally and the head wont, then you get the crack. Preventative maintenance, thats all. Shell 15w40, original coolant (ford motorcraft), and oem thermostat replacement.

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » May 29th, 2018, 10:09 pm

^where do you purchase the ford motorcraft coolant?

babygirl
Street 2NR

Postby babygirl » May 30th, 2018, 6:14 am

Calor wrote:^where do you purchase the ford motorcraft coolant?
Princes town auto supplies. 655 7633

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » May 30th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Thanks...is there just one motorcraft coolant or there is a special one for diesel engines?

Sssl guys told me to use radicool by castrol but those guys....

babygirl
Street 2NR

Postby babygirl » May 31st, 2018, 12:03 pm

Calor wrote:Thanks...is there just one motorcraft coolant or there is a special one for diesel engines?

Sssl guys told me to use radicool by castrol but those guys....
Well the ones princes town auto is for diesel and gas. I dont think there is amy difference. But they have the coolant concentrate. You have to mix it 50 50 with de ionized water, basically distilled water or rain water. Do not mix it with regular tap water because the chlorine in it corrodes the internals, causing thermostat to stick, and that kind of disgusting millibug looking thing.

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » May 31st, 2018, 2:20 pm

You can also try zerex Asian vehicle coolant which is made by Valvoline which is pre mixed and silicate free. I have been using this for over 100,000km and works excellent.

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » June 1st, 2018, 12:07 pm

rmrunner wrote:You can also try zerex Asian vehicle coolant which is made by Valvoline which is pre mixed and silicate free. I have been using this for over 100,000km and works excellent.

On which vehicle?

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » June 1st, 2018, 12:22 pm

Just got the oem thermostart for under $200
Attachments
2018-06-01 12.21.20.jpg

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » June 1st, 2018, 1:46 pm

Where you got that thermostat from? Zerex on ranger

kg494EJ-1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kg494EJ-1 » June 1st, 2018, 2:00 pm

Southern sales has them for $168

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » June 1st, 2018, 4:36 pm

kg494EJ-1 wrote:Southern sales has them for $168

Plus vat

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » June 2nd, 2018, 6:13 pm

Decided to give this a try..the parts outlet had the motorcraft but they told me thats its recommeded for the newer ranger/bt50
Attachments
2018-06-02 18.08.27.jpg
2018-06-02 18.08.42.jpg

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » September 6th, 2018, 9:02 pm

sigh.. not me n wl engine again.. this is my 2nd repair in 6years .. mazda is crap

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 7th, 2018, 12:21 am

I realize that this is old but there is so much in this post that is absolutely wrong.

babygirl wrote:Do not remove the thermostat! Replace it every 60,000km with new oem ($295). What happens when u remove thermostat causes more damage. These wl engines are designed to operate at a specific temp.
1. At operating temp the oil thins to allow easier passage through turbo, oil ports and valves etc. Cooler oil is thick and the engine works harder to force this oil through, causing premature wear.
2. The engine can still overheat without thermostat. On longer drives the water does not stay in radiator long enough to cool and continuously heats up because its constantly circulating. The thermostat keeps the water in the radiator for a little while to cool, then when thermostat opens, sends the hot water from engine to cool and sends the cool water to the engine to regulate temp.
3. Without thermostat, the wl engine's glow plugs remain on for a long time even when driving! These glow plugs are designed to stay on when engine is cold to help heat up engine quicker and prevent that loud knocking from a cold diesel engine. Dont believe me? Start the engine and put a test light on the glow plug wire by the rail and see how long it takes to turn off. It usually turns off when temp reaches 1/4 the way. This burns out the glow plugs, and glow plug relay. Engine then sounds old when started, and takes more cranks to start.
4. Without thermostat, the engine rings wear faster, because oil isnt thin enough to lubricate cylinder wall properly. Thus, backpressuring and oil burning.

So guys, lets replace the thermostat and not remove it. Engineers designed it for very specific reasons.

pjfred
Trinituner Peong

Postby pjfred » September 7th, 2018, 6:09 am

adnj wrote:I realize that this is old but there is so much in this post that is absolutely wrong.

babygirl wrote:Do not remove the thermostat! Replace it every 60,000km with new oem ($295). What happens when u remove thermostat causes more damage. These wl engines are designed to operate at a specific temp.

I know right, lolzzz! I hope he is not a mechanic professionally.

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » September 7th, 2018, 10:22 am

adnj wrote:I realize that this is old but there is so much in this post that is absolutely wrong.

really? cant speak on the glow plugs part but please educate us

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 7th, 2018, 6:42 pm

ru$$ell wrote:

babygirl wrote:Do not remove the thermostat! Replace it every 60,000km with new oem ($295).

Replacement of the coolant mix according to schedule is more important. Keep an eye on engine temperature. An overheating engine likely has a bad thermostat or blocked radiator caused by age or calcification (calcium precipitation and depost) from the cooling system fluid. Replace the thermostat with a quality, new component that is a direct replacement. OEM parts are not necessary.

What happens when u remove thermostat causes more damage. These wl engines are designed to operate at a specific temp.

Agreed

Multi viscosity oil allows an engine to properly lubricate via the pump alone to sub zero temps that never occur in the tropics. Excess wear occurs when there is sludge (dirty/old oil) or during cold start when the oil passages are empty.

The engine may operate at acceptable temperatures in the tropics but will likely not warm at all during colder weather. The sole purpose of the thermostat is to allow quick engine warming to about 95°C for cleaner combustion and improved engine efficiency.

Glow plugs operate prior to engine start to pre-warm the combustion chamber. Compression is the only ignition method in a typical diesel. Glow plugs that are on during run likely have a faulty relay or a resistor protected relay that registers a quiescent voltage.

The engine will likely not wear faster but will likely run rich resulting in decreased engine power, soot deposits and black smoke from the exhaust.

Yes, we did.

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » September 7th, 2018, 7:12 pm

adnj wrote:
ru$$ell wrote:

babygirl wrote:Do not remove the thermostat! Replace it every 60,000km with new oem ($295).

Replacement of the coolant mix according to schedule is more important. Keep an eye on engine temperature. An overheating engine likely has a bad thermostat or blocked radiator caused by age or calcification (calcium precipitation and depost) from the cooling system fluid. Replace the thermostat with a quality, new component that is a direct replacement. OEM parts are not necessary.

What happens when u remove thermostat causes more damage. These wl engines are designed to operate at a specific temp.

Agreed

Multi viscosity oil allows an engine to properly lubricate via the pump alone to sub zero temps that never occur in the tropics. Excess wear occurs when there is sludge (dirty/old oil) or during cold start when the oil passages are empty.

The engine may operate at acceptable temperatures in the tropics but will likely not warm at all during colder weather. The sole purpose of the thermostat is to allow quick engine warming to about 95°C for cleaner combustion and improved engine efficiency.

Glow plugs operate prior to engine start to pre-warm the combustion chamber. Compression is the only ignition method in a typical diesel. Glow plugs that are on during run likely have a faulty relay or a resistor protected relay that registers a quiescent voltage.

The engine will likely not wear faster but will likely run rich resulting in decreased engine power, soot deposits and black smoke from the exhaust.

Yes, we did.

1- The point is right about premature wear, diesel engines are very efficient when its reached operating temp (ie hotter)
Pulled both thermostats off a Nissan RF 8 (16,997cc V8 engine, they carry 2 thermostats) because one was sticking and didnt replace them and engine wear was very much there so much it burnt out the rings within 2 months without the thermostats in because it wasnt reaching proper operating temp (straight body oil was used here if i recall correctly)

2-An engine can overheat without a thermostat, with a proper thermostat installed it acts as a positive pressure flow for the water pump and as he mentioned, i've even seen those 6D16's (Mitsubishi 6 Cylinder truck engines) not even cycle water at all without thermostats and brand new water pumps.Thermostats allows for proper cooling time in the radiator till its cycled in the block/head again. Ran two trucks up maracas fully loaded without thermostats and they had to shut the engines down at the lookout due to not cooling properly. Under heavy load/ working conditions you can overheat diesel engines without a thermostat. Did the same run with one of the same trucks with a proper thermostat installed and had zero issues whatsoever

3-null

4-As mentioned before,you can wear your engine faster without a thermostat if you're using a straight body diesel engine oil instead of a multigrade. So all the talk people say we dont need those things down here because we live in a hot/tropical country is total bs, i was ignorant to these facts many years ago and i paid the price to learn.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 7th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Larger diesels have two thermostats to account for load differences. There may be one at about 90°C and another in parallel at a higher temperature. Both will open under load to allow for higher coolant flow.

If your engine ran hot with no thermostat, that is a radiator, fan clutch or coolant flow problem. It is not uncommon for work to be done to the coolant system without a follow-up purge of air. I would err on the side of caution and suggest that it was/is an air pocket.

Air trapped in a bend at the top of a radiator hose can slow or block coolant flow from the engine through the hose to the radiator.

All things considerered, an air pocket could cause an overheat condition irrespective of the proper operation of all of the other cooling systems components.

Since I wasn't there, I could not know but you may have inadverten purged an air pocket later with doing more work to the engine. Or, it could have just worked itself out over time.

Also keep in mind that there are many air cooled diesel and gasoline engines. They don't have water jackets or thermostats. But they do take a while longer to warm up and never burn as cleanly.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » September 12th, 2018, 4:48 pm

glow plugs do run a bit after the vehicle has already started idling.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » September 19th, 2018, 4:48 am

adnj wrote:
ru$$ell wrote:

Agreed

Yes, we did.

he make the glow plugs sound like is spark plugs . i dunno how to feel bout thermostat .cause with it .. it does stick.. without it . u cant use the heater in d ac n well the temperature fluctuates quicker .. i know that from experience

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » September 19th, 2018, 4:50 am

supernedd wrote:
adnj wrote:
ru$$ell wrote:

Agreed

Yes, we did.

he make the glow plugs sound like is spark plugs . i dunno how to feel bout thermostat .cause with it .. it does stick.. without it . u cant use the heater in d ac n well the temperature fluctuates quicker .. i know that from experience
n most mechanics told me...when the engine get older .. use a thicker grade of oil

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”