TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

2006 3.0 Vigo ( engine problem )

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Premera
Trinituner Peong

2006 3.0 Vigo ( engine problem )

Postby Premera » April 10th, 2013, 7:48 am

Guys, my vehicle is down presently and has been for the past two weeks. The scenario leading up to same is a bit long to read but i would appreciate if you all could do so and assist in any way possible :

The van was bought used 2 years ago and i believe the previous owner's mechanic damaged one of the injector ports on the head / block. This caused the seals and washer to not fit snug and seal off the chamber properly, resulting in combustion and oil coming into the chamber and the van smoked white whilst driving, accelerating and even idling. I used to top up approximately 1 quart every 4-6 weeks.

My mechanic advised that we changed the seals and washers and the rubbers that hold the fuel rail in place ( kinda looks like a shot glass...lol ). I changed the seals and washers almost 4 times in the past two years and this has not solved the issue. The mechanic even doubled up on the seals which i later learnt was a waste of time as the injector is set to fit sung with ONE seal and washer.

The mechanic suggested aluminium welding the head and redrilling the injector port for the past year and when i was finally ready to do it, he changed his mind and said the machinist said it was too delicate a spot to do this and could damage the entire head BUT, he had a used head for 3k.....lol

The mechanic made me change fuel rail and i had two bad injectors, i changed them and still same trouble ( smoking )

I had a set of 2.5 injectors and we put these in. There was a max speed of 140k but i soon reverted to 4 used 3.0 injectors. Again two or three got damaged in the past year.

i did an engine wash last year and saw oil spitting up from the joined area where the turbo intake meets the engine i believe.

This continued up to present day.
Late last year i noticed the van woudl rough idle whilst i reversed, when i stopped at the lights or were in traffic and i would have to shioft to neutral to stop same. The van also had to literally crawl to pull off at a green light or in traffic but once i started driving it pickep up and ran smoothly. I never really went past 120k in fear of the injector seals blowing or somethign worst happeniong to the engine.

2 weeks aback whilst heading to gbazaar, i felt the van rough idling whilst driving, looked in the rear view and saw heavy white smoke, and heard a LOUD clacking, knocking sound. I turned to exit gbazar and the van shut off right there.

I restarted same and started climbing the ramp to head to san juan and again it shut down. called the mechanic and he advised to switch off the ac and crawl home. I did this and the knocing became louder and louder. The van did not lose power when driving home though, just excessive white smoke.

The mechanic i drive to immediately and he said the pistons were damaged and needed to have an engine job done. When i got home and the engine cooled, i checked the oil level and there was none on the dipstick reading BUT the oil light did not come on.

I topped up 3/4 gallon and re-started the van and 90% of the noise had gone. I have not started the van since.

4 mechanic opinions are confusing. one said engine job, the other said head only to change, the third said turbo unit blown etc etc.

The one that said the head only is my mechanic and he alone heard the van idle to say this.

I know i have to change te injectors and have ordered already.

James from bamboo opened the oil filter up and saw no metal sediments or filings and said this could be good news that nothing insude the engine is damaged or broken BUT to do a full check it woudl cost me 2500. To redo the engine is approx 25k he said but his labour price is 12k alone.

He said he cant say for sure unless he opens up the engine.

Do you all know anyone that can assist with a diagnostic before i spend unnecessary funds ?

The mechanic that said the engine has to be re-done is DING in Aranguez. I know him and knows he services alot of hilux from years aback to now.

My fear is paying for an engine job and realising that it is my turbo that needs changing......

Thnaks guys

Advertisement
Premera
Trinituner Peong

Re: 2006 3.0 Vigo ( engine problem )

Postby Premera » April 10th, 2013, 7:50 am

James showed me a piece of equipment that he said is used to sand the injector port. he said 1 tenth shaving is within the allowable specs and this would enable the washer and seal to fit like original and not affect the vehicle's performance or damage anythign further.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » April 10th, 2013, 8:59 am

why dont u look for a head and block, maybe from a crash.....yuh done spend so much bad money already......

Premera
Trinituner Peong

Postby Premera » April 10th, 2013, 11:20 am

droppa wrote:why dont u look for a head and block, maybe from a crash.....yuh done spend so much bad money already......

thanks man BUT what if the head and block is changed and that does not solve the problem ? What if it's simply the turbo or the injectors that gone bad ?

I need someone to correctly diagnose the problem before i think about repairs.

Premera
Trinituner Peong

Postby Premera » April 10th, 2013, 11:24 am

Can a 1kZ replace the original 1kD and fit stock ?

Any advantages / Disadvantages ? Other than it being a 3.2 turbo as opposed to the original being a 3.0 turbo ?

krisjoseph_2000
3NE 2NR for life

Postby krisjoseph_2000 » April 10th, 2013, 11:50 am

First off change that mechanic. Engine "crackling" so crawl home? That sounds like engine knocking hence driving with the van in that condition damaged d pistons and maybe d engine block. Have a compression test and maybe a coolant leak test to confirm. Smoking heavily could be oil escaping from the piston walls but the tests would confirm.

Xplode
Riding on 17's

Postby Xplode » April 10th, 2013, 12:28 pm

buy a complete engine,with turbo,pump and injectors,save time and money,sell old engine parts on 2ner,with going tru all that and what you thinking to do better you change complete engine.

Premera
Trinituner Peong

Postby Premera » April 10th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Update :

I just had a past toyota service manager run a scan on the engine, no codes or check light came on. Van started and was idling smooth for about a minute then smoke like wow and the knocking coudl be heard ( not as loud as before, alot softer, but still could be heard )

The guy said in his experience the pump was dumping too much fuel into the system hence the knock and the smoke. he listened to the knock, revved the engine and ran scans and nothing came up on the screen.

What y'all think ?

Xplode
Riding on 17's

Postby Xplode » April 10th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Premera wrote:Update :

I just had a past toyota service manager run a scan on the engine, no codes or check light came on. Van started and was idling smooth for about a minute then smoke like wow and the knocking coudl be heard ( not as loud as before, alot softer, but still could be heard )

The guy said in his experience the pump was dumping too much fuel into the system hence the knock and the smoke. he listened to the knock, revved the engine and ran scans and nothing came up on the screen.

What y'all think ?

pump cost about $10-$12,000 then labor to install ,you do that and same thing happens,it have a guy on trinicars id. no. 24150 has the 1kd complete for $49,000 that's if you have the funds, :D
what mileage you doing looks like previous owner din't take care.
Attachments
03_338.jpg

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 10th, 2013, 2:03 pm

SR20 RWD installed - troubles donw

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » April 10th, 2013, 2:14 pm

pm rx80 and chat with him, he had some 1kd issues and got them resolved easier than you would imagine.....

the 1kz will be more work to get up, will have to rewire....

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » April 10th, 2013, 2:49 pm

lorddd....49000$$---least when my wl givn trouble i have options that wont fk my pocket...

Premera
Trinituner Peong

Postby Premera » April 10th, 2013, 4:39 pm

V2NR 3.0 wrote:SR20 RWD installed - troubles donw

seriously ?????

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 10th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Premera wrote:
V2NR 3.0 wrote:SR20 RWD installed - troubles donw

seriously ?????

Seriously brah.

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » April 10th, 2013, 9:48 pm

should do a diagnostic test at TTTL, i think is around $600. besides TTTL i would also recommend DING

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 10th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Before i get mauled to death, i think i should withdraw my suggestion of a nissan engine....

Premera
Trinituner Peong

Postby Premera » April 11th, 2013, 4:47 am

badart wrote:should do a diagnostic test at TTTL, i think is around $600. besides TTTL i would also recommend DING

DING was the guy that told me to crawl home with the van and when he heard the clacking sound he said engine job as pistons may be damaged ( rods or bearings ). I kinds trust his opinion as i know he's been dealing hilux years now BUT

Why are there so many difference of opinions from other reputable servicemen ( toyota employees ) and others.

Cyrus said it sounds like a piston may be scorched .

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » April 11th, 2013, 5:52 am

Premera .... I believe no one knows for sure and no one is willing to diagnose free of charge .... Everyone is giving advice based on their past experiences with 1kd engines.

My advice is too look around and buy an engine ($49k is a lot and I'm sure you can get one from a crash for less). Use what you need and sell of the rest.

1kz swap is a lot of work and you may ended up spending more and getting less hp in the end.

Good advice here ....Turbohead and Cyrus are good resources since they both have dealership experience.
Last edited by sweeks on April 11th, 2013, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 11th, 2013, 6:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=493056&p=6992058#p6992058

i might be talking chit but why dont you get one of those^ and hook it up with the vigo gearbox, with a adapter.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=480826

zaria
Trinituner Peong

Postby zaria » April 11th, 2013, 7:02 am

I'm sure the mechanics are aware but just incase,below is something i read abt the 1kd(wikipedia)

"The 1KD engine produces 17% more power with 11% less fuel consumption than its predecessor, the 1KZ engine.

This engine was first used in Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, 3rd Generation Hilux Surf and now used in the Toyota Fortuner, Hiace and Toyota Hilux.

It presents a big issue with the injectors which is still pending to be solved. In Spain, they change the injectors within the first 7 seven years after buy, but still no solution is provided by the manufacturer.[citation needed]

Due to the non availability of Low Sulphur Diesel to much of the world, injector failure is very common with this engine."

Oh! and wiki list both 1kz and 1kd to be 3.0.
If your only route is to go 1kz,pm me,a friend does allot of work on hiluxes and knows exactly what is needed and cost.(he builds and sells)

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » April 11th, 2013, 10:25 am

you need to check a reputable toyota mechanic who has equipment and experience on the 1KD, i would say talk to turbohead or check cyrus in enterprise.........

ding would getta a slap for that dotish advice to crawl home, yuh couldve or may have done some potentail damage to the bearings or journals..........you might have to pull a few caps and inspect to be sure.....suppose when yuh done spend a set of money the engine spin a bearing in a couple months when oil break down......if u have doubt in the turbo pull it down and get it checked at sookhais or turboklub in couva.....

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 11th, 2013, 11:20 am

I telling all yuh - Nissan in he preffin...parts in a grocery.....

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » April 11th, 2013, 11:24 am

get it checked by YAV autoserv in marabella

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » April 11th, 2013, 12:03 pm

realised you're questioning your turbo so...

-check your exhaust for oil deposits
-remove the compression side/hoses of your turbo and check for oil
-how bad is your engine back pressure and how much oil is it throwing oil there?
-oil deposit around the turbo unit?

tbh on hearing that knocking sound you should've had it towed home

Bezman
Admin

Postby Bezman » April 11th, 2013, 4:39 pm

this IS the Injector rings,

they go bad in the 2006-2007 models, the copper injector seals let exhaust fumes past, which enters the oil. The oil becomes gradually gunged up, and when the oil strainer gets blocked the engine can be terminally damaged due to oil starvation.

If you were checking the oil strainer you will have noticed it was clogged, which caused the knocking

The only solution is:

1) Brand New Toyota Injectors with Aluminum Washers
(post 2008 they came with new o-rings that dont leak)
2) Clean Oil Strainer and pickup
3) Check oil pump and diesel pump

Some Toyota dealerships have been replacing the washers outside of warranty, but i have never heard of this happening locally...

I would take it to toyota and NO ONE ELSE - as this is a worldwide issue known by toyota, take it to them and state your case, they may fix, help. unfortunately you listened to some other mechanic, drove with the damaged engine and they already tampered and fiddled with the injectors/engine and they may not help because of that.

In short - Your engine is knocking cause the oil pump strainer pickup is clogged, drop the oil pan and check it out..

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » April 14th, 2013, 4:46 pm

$27,000 for a new set of injectors @ TTTL.

sounds like this vehicle wasn't/isn't properly maintained.

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 14th, 2013, 6:41 pm

V2NR 3.0 wrote:I telling all yuh - Nissan in he preffin...parts in a grocery.....

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » April 15th, 2013, 8:27 am

^^somebody go hit u a bellars eh, lol

whats the update OP

Premera
Trinituner Peong

Postby Premera » April 15th, 2013, 9:14 am

no update yet, still waiting for the dust to settle a bit then i will decide which way i will proceed.

So far, it seems nothing in the engine damaged.

The opinion of my main mechanic was change or repair the head and drop in the new injectors and the problem will be solved.he said in his opinion the toyota torbo units and the fuel pump is really durable and he does not think it is damaged.

His suggestion is to change the head and drop in new injectors and this should solve the issue. I am kinda leaning this way because three opinions suggest nothing wrong with the engine.

I am thinking of dropping in the new injectors and seeing if the problem stops ( except for the loss of compression thru the damaged injector port ), run the van for a month or two by which time the new head should reach my doorstep and then do the complete changeover.

Other than that, i am just waiting till i have the funds to do the engine job / change engine ( last resort )

Only two mechanics heard the van idle and they both say no engine damage and they both seemed to believe the head and injectors are the problem.

Not sure if i said this already, james from bamboo opened up the old oil filter and did not find any metal filings stuck to it. he said this is good news and could mean nothing got damaged internally.

Bezman
Admin

Postby Bezman » April 15th, 2013, 10:01 am

Denso injectors for 3.0 Hilux can be found on Ebay AUS for much cheaper: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/INJECTORS-BR ... 326wt_1165

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”