TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Sportero Engine Mods

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Mr. ContraBass
Ricer

Sportero Engine Mods

Postby Mr. ContraBass » June 3rd, 2013, 12:07 am

So Tuners,

I have a 2008 Sportero 2.5L turbo/auto and was contemplating the following mods:
Bigger aftermarket FMIC(but not too big so that i have to cut the bumper)
Boost gauge
Increasing the boost. I was told that it runs 7lbs stock. was thinking of taking it to 10-12lbs.

How safe it is to do these mods with the rest of the engine stock? how much boost can i safely increase it to? Thoughts and advice welcomed. Negative vibes, keep that to yourself.

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Re: Sportero Engine Mods

Postby AllTrac » June 3rd, 2013, 2:37 pm

u can increase the boost till a gazillion it wont move any faster without fuel, what you gonna do to increase fuel?
Look into a chip it module. Kindda expensive but its a safe upgrade for increasing fuel delivery and it keeps the CEL at bay.
I would run a PCV, then clean out the intake mani, do a tranny flush, get my injectors cleaned and service according to the mileage, change diesel filter, normal maintenance stuff, add a K&N replacement filter, larger exhaust to free up breathing. That should put a little pep in your step. Then consider more costly upgrades, like intercooler etc Keep in mind its a pick up and it has the aerodynamics of a brick, dont expect mind blistering speed.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » June 5th, 2013, 10:31 am

good advice trac.....

last line is most important, been seeing alot of new (TCU and newer) pickups, skidding of the road or guys losing control, esp on wet roads....

Mr. ContraBass
Ricer

Postby Mr. ContraBass » June 5th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the advice. I was misguided into thinking those mods would work as is. I was still thinking for a bit of cosmesis that I might still put a bigger intercooler. Will that hamper performance in any way?
Recently did all the other things you mentioned. When I got to the intake manifold and the EGR i was amazed at what I saw. The quality of sludge we call diesel in Trinidad. There was so much sludge build up that it blocked the vacuum line on the manifold. Once cleaned and put back together there was a definite restoration in power with the distinct whistle of the turbo being heard once again. Van ran like it just rolled off the showroom floor.
To all guys on this forum who have never done that service to their pick-up in three years since purchase please do so for the sake of your truck. Its a pain in the a** to clean but when its done you will feel the difference in performance.

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » June 5th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Mr. ContraBass wrote:Thanks for the advice. I was misguided into thinking those mods would work as is. I was still thinking for a bit of cosmesis that I might still put a bigger intercooler. Will that hamper performance in any way?

yup. Larger intercooler = increased surface area which would result in pressure drop, depending on the size of the new cooler, you can experience as must as a 2pci decrease in boost by just adding a larger aftermarket kit and trust me, on a diesel a 2psi drop in boost, you gonna FEEL IT lol
The way to compensate for it is to increase boost with a boost controller and once boost is increased you need to increase fuel. Cant do one without the other or else its just bling on an even slower sportero.
Mind you, the 4d65 DiD mixes kindda rich from the factory so just adding and intercooler and upping the boost probably a 3 psi more you might still be in the safe zone because I sat in one with an aftermarket intercooler and a 3 psi boost increase, pulled strong no fuel upgrades.
Your ecu would limit u to a point also as i dont know the factory ecu parameters and tolerances when it comes to increased psi on the 4d56, u might get a CEL or might not.
Its your call, dropping in an intercooler alone wont do any damage it would just make your sportero slower, so no worries there if u willing to live with that.
Me personally, i wont do one without the other (boost and fuel) cause i love my 3.2 lump too much :oops:

Mr. ContraBass
Ricer

Postby Mr. ContraBass » June 5th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Thanks again man, just gonna keep it stock and maintain it religiously. Good advice.

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » June 6th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Take it from me, keep it stock.

Your brakes (then transmission, chassis and suspension) will quickly limit how much power you can safely use on the road. There is no simple suspension modification to make your pickup handle the power better, and the proper brake upgrade from MRT is just upwards of $50000 TT.

The turbos are pretty small so increasing the boost does not make much of a difference. I don't know about the 4D56, but the 4M41 is 14 psi stock approx, and you get a CEL just above 20 psi (stock boost cut, which can be modified but it is there for a reason, the turbo loses efficiency above 22 psi and you run the risk of premature bearing failure due to excess loading on the turbo shaft).

The only way to make significant power is to adjust the fuel, but that leads to more exhaust smoking, more frequent EGR cleaning, hotter brakes leading to more wear.

If it is an automatic, these older transmissions do not like torque above 350 Nm and will not shift properly under WOT.

Finally cost:
1. Good aftermarket chip / module -TT$ 5000+
2. Good boost controller (electronic with boost display, no need for gauge) - TT$ 2500+
3. Good intercooler - $800+ (not including piping)
4. Boost cut defenser - $1100+
5. Transmission flush upgrade to Amsoil Multi Vehicle ATF (at a minimum) - 11 Qts or thereabouts, whatever price you get that at.
6. Tuning - lord knows how much especially if a dyno is involved.

All for probably 50 whp gain that will not be fully usable because it is a tailspin happy RWD pickup.

Hope this helps your decision (and wallet).

Mr. ContraBass
Ricer

Postby Mr. ContraBass » June 7th, 2013, 12:52 am

yeah stock is the way to go. i already maintain it religiously. might just go for exterior mods, i.e., some 18 inch black rims w/ A/T tyres and probably powder coat the chrome bar that my dad bought for the front a while back and never installed. he likes the flashy look, i like the more stealth approach.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » June 12th, 2013, 10:21 am

there is an all black on black L2 i see in munroe rd sometimes, looks so sweet, just the glass pieces not blacked out........looks real stealth.....

one main thing, make sure those injectors working tops and u will have all the power u need....

cuz just had to change 2, at 9K ea from the firm....

got it out side cheaper and now is power by the hour again....

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”