TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

ADVICE NEEDED ON SPORTERO......venum

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
HondaHo de 1st
Chronic 2NR

ADVICE NEEDED ON SPORTERO......venum

Postby HondaHo de 1st » October 26th, 2015, 11:48 am

Good Day Gentlemen. I'm looking to go back diesel but not with a navara, I'm looking at a used sportero. 2008 model. The plan is to send it to the dealer for them to do a full look thru but after that I'll do the servicing myself. I'm looking at the availability of parts on the outside and how costly they are, and if there are any issues I should look out for.

Thank you.
Last edited by HondaHo de 1st on November 11th, 2015, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Re: ADVICE NEEDED ON SPORTERO

Postby kriticalkase » October 26th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Good choice. If possible get the 3.2 with the 4M41 engine. Lots of faithful Sportero guys here.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 27th, 2015, 11:28 am

I have a 4x4 manual 2.5 bought second hand. No regrets.
Parts are readily available OEM through DM, Barbados or US (select parts, use part nums to get)
Substitute replacements are also readily available at most parts places.

To avoid issues with Diesel, I change fuel filter along with air filter each and every oil change (amsoil everything for me). I also use Amsoil Diesel Conc and Diesel Treatment each fillup (about 4 oz each). Keeps the truck happy.

Known issues:
Clockspring requires replacing at some point. Airbag light comes on for no reason and costs about 12-1500 to replace.
AC is notorious for failing. I bought my truck with borked AC and it costed about 6K to fix, (King Kool, working perfectly ever since)

it's a reliable truck. not the fastest on the road, but comfortable interior and handles fairly predictable, in that stay out of the tq powerband in the wet, no matter what tyres you run.

there are more, guys like venum can chime in here.

HondaHo de 1st
Chronic 2NR

Postby HondaHo de 1st » October 28th, 2015, 2:15 pm

actually looking forward to venum's reply. I know he's very versed on this subject.

Toyopet
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Toyopet » October 28th, 2015, 2:38 pm

While u await Venum,here's my take. My parents have a 2012 hi power 2.5 at 100,000km and everything works like the day it drove out the firm with the exception of the balance shaft belt which went at 96,000km so we did the entire system, which cost about 3,100 in parts from DM and 800 labour.

I have a 2009 3.2 that I bought used at 100,000km. The ac is slowly going but king kool has the evaporator for 1200 and my egr valve is gone ($2300 in DM). Other than that, I have no issues and I'm at 153,000.

My experience has been that it's a pretty bulletproof pickup. Venum will advise on what to look out for

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Re: ADVICE NEEDED ON SPORTERO......venum

Postby venum » December 8th, 2015, 4:19 pm

waaay

I now see I get called out for this

apologies for the > 1 month late reply, I was very busy
these guys pretty much covered it.
that is a good model, same as I have, mine is the 2007 3.2 DiD.

Pretty good truck. Fuel economy isn't as great as the Hilux models of same age.

DiD handles our crappy diesel well. if you feed it crap diesel, well look out for the expected issues. change fuel and oil filters on time. if going OEM, great, but there are good aftermarket options out there. my choice are sakura for oil, air and fuel. they are much cheaper than oem and can be changed every oil change interval

AMSOIL everything for me - engine oil, power steering fluid, diff oil, tc oil, fuel treatment

the clock spring, a/c, fuel gauge, egr, drivers seat and headlight\wiper switch are the usual issues for that year as mentioned by the guys

I buy only OEM parts for brakes and suspension and they are available by ROC for cheaper prices than the dealership. DM does have some stuff reasonable for this model.

aftermarket brakes are available in Bosch (works ok) and OHK (avoid as these damage rotors)

you don't have to go to dealership for the mechanic as we have a very competent mechanic available, but that is your call. PM me if you want to know his contact.

3.2 is chain drive where 2.5 is belt drive.

leather seats on both are hard and uncomfortable

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”