TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

D-Max, New Frontier, BT-50, Hilux. Which would you buy?

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
l200guy
Ricer

D-Max, New Frontier, BT-50, Hilux. Which would you buy?

Postby l200guy » January 17th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Looking to replace my L200. The options are Isuzu D-Max, New Frontier, BT-50, Hilux. Which of the four would you buy? Below are my thoughts on each. What are yours?

BT-50 Biggest of the three, however are parts available?

New Frontier 4x4 manual - Great vehicle, good resale value, high-risk for bandits

Isuzu - Most affordable, smallest of the options, apparently very reliable, not sure about service and parts

Hilux - Reliable, best looking, great resale value high-risk for bandits, expensive service

Advertisement
tourniquet
punchin NOS

Re: D-Max, New Frontier, BT-50, Hilux. Which would you buy?

Postby tourniquet » January 17th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Is there a reason you won't/ can't wait for the face lifted Ranger? In most of the reviews I've seen, the Ranger has performed exceptionally well, even outranking the almighty Hilux.

l200guy
Ricer

Postby l200guy » January 19th, 2016, 8:29 am

It is indeed an excellent vehicle no doubt. However, based on what happened when the last model came out I'm a bit skeptical. Nearly every time I went to POS to do something I would see one heading back to MCenearney on a tow truck.

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Postby tourniquet » January 19th, 2016, 7:48 pm

agreed, and that's why I don't recommend anyone buying the first model year of anything. Seeing that this is just an update and not a completely new vehicle like the Navara or Hilux, I would think they've sorted out most of the initial kinks.
My little take on your choices:
BT-50: Don't care for the looks. If Mazda does the next gen or a even refresh in the style of the rest of it's current line up, it will be a thing of beauty. Parts shouldn't be an issue, but I'm still iffy of SS's service.

New Frontier 4x4 manual: Can you get this with those "NASA inspired" seats? Sat in a fully loaded automatic one a while back and it was easily the most comfortable local truck I've been in. Does the manual come with leaf springs or coils?

Isuzu- Underrated brand in Trinidad. Comes across as the stepchild in SS's portfolio. Wouldn't bother with the smaller engine, but the larger engine does make more of a clatter than other trucks. Same comment as the Mazda parts and service goes here.

Hilux: front reminds me of those duck boats that can drive on land and directly into the water to do tours :/ and I wish the interior looked more cohesive. It is the newest of the bunch, and if you're looking at the 2.8L (non TTTL), that engine is yet to full prove itself with our fuel.

Good luck :)

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » January 19th, 2016, 9:00 pm

I see the dealer for Ford has the ranger fully loaded for 300k.
Also OP there is the Armarok that you can consider and the Colorado.

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » January 19th, 2016, 9:02 pm

I'd personally wait for the 2016 ranger to get here as the reviews have it at the top.

PariaMan
Shifting into 6th

Postby PariaMan » January 26th, 2016, 3:35 pm

But with Ford u have to deal with McEnearney Motors. That seems to be no bed of roses!

kamakazi
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kamakazi » January 26th, 2016, 4:17 pm

If comfort is a priority in your pickup selection; the new Frontier is your choice. It is still using the yd25 so I would hope by now they would have sorted out any issues that it had. Rear seating in the np300 is a bit narrow.
Ford is still questionable in my book. It had rave reviews everywhere else in the world but somehow it is problematic here
Toyota's dashboard is all over the place. The engine in the vehicles from TTTL are the same ones used in the last generation of hilux from 2005 to 2015 but the transmissions are different. Engines should be fine. ... I'm on the fence about the trans though.
VW... No thanks. .. They have enough trouble as it is

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » February 3rd, 2016, 1:24 pm

the interior on an LE Frontier is awesome

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » March 22nd, 2016, 2:17 pm

Amarok fuh comfort

Toyopet
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Toyopet » March 22nd, 2016, 11:19 pm

My isn't the Sportero in that list of options. Looks great once you black out the radiator grill. However, to answer your question, I would choose the D-Max. There is no lack of gadgets and creature comforts, VERY reliable so parts needed would only be maintenance parts and the suspension is car-like.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » April 3rd, 2016, 8:34 pm

I am in the same boat , looking for a new pickup to buy. Right now choosing between the navara and the hilux. I am leaning towards the hilux.

DVSTT

Postby DVSTT » April 3rd, 2016, 11:00 pm

PariaMan wrote:But with Ford u have to deal with McEnearney Motors. That seems to be no bed of roses!

It's available outside the firm.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » September 30th, 2018, 7:32 pm

civic minded wrote:I am in the same boat , looking for a new pickup to buy. Right now choosing between the navara and the hilux. I am leaning towards the hilux.
what did u get

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”