TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Engine oil testing

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
ShaKarz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Engine oil testing

Postby ShaKarz » November 15th, 2018, 8:44 am

2 oils are shown with different base testing standards, tbn value, random selections :) One standard claims to be used on fresh oils, the other on used oils. What's the difference in terms of engine protection and these 2 standards?

The other concern is acidity caused by high sulphur fuel and how fast the alkalinity of these oils break down. Anyone has any test results of sulphur content and cetane value of current pump diesel?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Engine oil testing

Postby adnj » November 15th, 2018, 1:41 pm

ShaKarz wrote:2 oils are shown with different base testing standards, tbn value, random selections :) One standard claims to be used on fresh oils, the other on used oils. What's the difference in terms of engine protection and these 2 standards?

The other concern is acidity caused by high sulphur fuel and how fast the alkalinity of these oils break down. Anyone has any test results of sulphur content and cetane value of current pump diesel?

The different specs that are published by ASTM, SAE, etc., are written to support certain qualities pursued by the various vehicle OEMs and component suppliers. The members of the committees that author the specs are typically engineers and SMEs from those different companies.

If you read the abstract of each spec, you will be given the reasoning for the new implementation.

Fuel specs should be on the NP and BP sites. Although quality will typically meet the the spec, variation usually exists.

ShaKarz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: Engine oil testing

Postby ShaKarz » November 19th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Don't worry what you see published, lab testing revealed 40/45 cetane in pump diesel, with treatment i can barely get to a minimum requirement of 50 cetane, i assume sulphur is maybe .5 ppm or possibly higher which contaminates any engine oil fairly quick.

My question was if anyone else was experiencing this.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”