Sportage, Sorento, Soul, Rio, Cerato, Optima

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

vin123
Sweet on this forum

2011 Kia Sportage Issues Anyone

Postby vin123 » October 2nd, 2012, 4:16 pm

Hey Tuners,
With respect to forum rules I'm not posting company's name LOL :shock:

Just checking in to see if anyone is getting any 'problems' relating to service with any of their 2011 Kia Models?

I'm looking for some advice here relating to our 2011 Kia Sportage.

From previously owning a firm maintained car we were under the impression that the factory brakes last a considerable amount of time. In our Almera the factory disc pads lasted 1yr and a couple of months, so with the Sportage we were expecting it to last around the same time. Our 2nd service was at 18k and we had to replace our front & rear disc brakes at the cost of $1000 & $700 respectively.
The bill stated new pad kit fr & rr.

When my dad inquired about this he was told that due to aggressive driving that they wear faster.

At our 4th service the the odo registered 40,000 and we had to again change disc pads but the bill stated renew front and rear disc pads at $500 each. Is the pad kit something different????? :?

Now the difference is that the previous service the van was doing South to North runs, but this time it was being used less as my dad took some holidays and we still had to change the disc pads so the difference in aggressive driving or lack thereof still didn't show up. When my dad enquired about this again and explained to them that in our previous ownership the life of the factory disc pads they told us that with the company going green they were testing a new kind of material and if it worked out we would get it. So my dad said well then we don't have to pay for the new pads since you all were testing something new and they said no, we still have to pay to change it.

Now next week is the 6th service, the odo is reading 50k's and we have to change brakes again because it is low AND the front driver side rotor disc is MARKED, BUT the other 3 rotor discs are fine. How is this? Can this really be caused my Aggressive driving as they say? A Friend told me maybe the axel and stuff not lining up properly??? The so called sensors which are supposed to make noise to alert of metal grinding the rotor disc was not there. :evil:
Any thoughts here Tuners??

Now, according to KIA this is a Compact SUV and I believe that it should take a considerable amount of jamming.
I am totally disappointed with service thus far so I contacted Bureau of Standards.On their website they have something on brakes pads. I spoke to someone there and they said basically they don't deal with performance mainly with labeling etc but he expressed the same views that the vehicle should take a certain amount of jamming and for the mileage and amount of disc changes it is ridiculous.

I do not want A shaven or polished rotor disc as this is a NEW vehicle, but I am also dreading the cost of replacing it.

All I was advised to do was to speak to the service manager and do so in an firm way and also do some research on the pads etc :agrue:

Please share your thoughts and advice please.
thanks in advance,
vin. :D

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: 2011 Kia Sportage Issues Anyone

Postby Stephon. » October 2nd, 2012, 4:19 pm

vin123 wrote:Hey Tuners,
With respect to forum rules I'm not posting company's name LOL :shock:

Um....

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Postby kriticalkase » October 2nd, 2012, 8:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your experiences thus far.

I owned a 2011 cerato & this vehicle was serviced by kia.
The mileage before parting with it in August 2012 was 36,000kms and I never had to replace disc pads during that time.
I must admit that this vehicle was driven a bit aggressively & made at least 2 north/south runs per week.

I have since invested in the 2012 Kia Sportage, vehicle is only doing 300kms but I will monitor the disc pads based on what you have said.

Hope your experiences with Kia improves soon.

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » October 4th, 2012, 11:55 am

kriticalkase wrote:Sorry to hear about your experiences thus far.

I owned a 2011 cerato & this vehicle was serviced by kia.
The mileage before parting with it in August 2012 was 36,000kms and I never had to replace disc pads during that time.
I must admit that this vehicle was driven a bit aggressively & made at least 2 north/south runs per week.

I have since invested in the 2012 Kia Sportage, vehicle is only doing 300kms but I will monitor the disc pads based on what you have said.

Hope your experiences with Kia improves soon.

much thanks, any advice on what to do though?

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Postby kriticalkase » October 4th, 2012, 10:04 pm

Firstly, since the vehicle is being serviced by Kia & you have all your bills you ought to insist on getting a new rotor not a refurbished one. they may tell you that none is in stock but make sure you get everything in writing.

When I had the cerato, I realized that the right side rear tyre was not wearing evenly. On my next service I inform them of this and upon inspection, the rear shock was leaking. this was replaced as it was under warranty.

Do not take any ole talk or excuses from them. insist on your new rotor and ensure they use GENUINE kia disc pads. Always ask for the old ones that they replaced.

bgh
Trinituner Peong

Postby bgh » October 5th, 2012, 9:19 am

Thanks for this info as it will allow the rest of us to be anal with the firm about their QoS...

Sportage going for 2nd service month end, told wife to let me know everything they tell her and what they are going to do.

Call the manager.

Taken from their website.
Key Personnel
Emmanuel Ferdinand
Brand Manager
Port of Spain
Tel: (868) 627-4468 Ext: 6300

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Postby kriticalkase » October 6th, 2012, 2:08 am

Mr Ferdinand is a very helpful person. As suggested, you should take all your documentation and talk to him (assuming you are in POS)

The service manager is Mr Rooplal, he however lacks PR skills.

keep us posted on this outcome.

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » October 6th, 2012, 10:12 pm

kriticalkase wrote:Firstly, since the vehicle is being serviced by Kia & you have all your bills you ought to insist on getting a new rotor not a refurbished one. they may tell you that none is in stock but make sure you get everything in writing.

When I had the cerato, I realized that the right side rear tyre was not wearing evenly. On my next service I inform them of this and upon inspection, the rear shock was leaking. this was replaced as it was under warranty.

Do not take any ole talk or excuses from them. insist on your new rotor and ensure they use GENUINE kia disc pads. Always ask for the old ones that they replaced.

Well Since the 3rd Service we had our old Disc pads and they were cutting at an angle :S

bgh wrote:Thanks for this info as it will allow the rest of us to be anal with the firm about their QoS...

Sportage going for 2nd service month end, told wife to let me know everything they tell her and what they are going to do.

Call the manager.

Taken from their website.
Key Personnel
Emmanuel Ferdinand
Brand Manager
Port of Spain
Tel: (868) 627-4468 Ext: 6300

Much thanks

kriticalkase wrote:Mr Ferdinand is a very helpful person. As suggested, you should take all your documentation and talk to him (assuming you are in POS)

The service manager is Mr Rooplal, he however lacks PR skills.

keep us posted on this outcome.

This is the same person who told us that the company going green and when they get through with the new pads we will get them :S

Will insist as you said.
Going Monday morning to service so will let you all know the outcome Monday evening.
Much thanks for the advice, hope I get a positive outcome

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » October 7th, 2012, 8:03 am

I called Friday to confirm service appointment on Monday, also asked if the service manager would be there and the woman said no. So I asked when will he be there I would like to speak to them, she said she doesn't know.

:S

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » October 7th, 2012, 8:18 am

Ask for him again tomorrow while you're there in person. Smh did you get her name?

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » October 7th, 2012, 12:29 pm

na, I forgot to ask for her name :(
but tomorrow I know what I'm going to say. I spoke to someone in the gas station this morning and they said that how their tyres are cutting bad and they getting a pull from the driver's side but no brakes problems.

I will ask again for him/her tomorrow

Captainzaak
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Captainzaak » October 7th, 2012, 12:55 pm

I had my Kia Cerato for 3yrs and never had to change break pads :|

First time I'm hearing this one tho, Mr. Rooplal at the North branch is a good person to speak with, he's normally there from after 9/10am tho so don't expect to meet him before that to discuss anything.

It's best you go in and speak to him directly instead of over the phone.

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » October 7th, 2012, 12:59 pm

3 years already? That time real fly lol.

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » October 7th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Captainzaak wrote:I had my Kia Cerato for 3yrs and never had to change break pads :|

First time I'm hearing this one tho, Mr. Rooplal at the North branch is a good person to speak with, he's normally there from after 9/10am tho so don't expect to meet him before that to discuss anything.

It's best you go in and speak to him directly instead of over the phone.

Exactly! that's what we found strange!
My dad spoke to Mr.. Rooplal already but I will have to call him and the dealer in the morning.
thanks for the advice though, also thanks to everyone. Will let you all know what happens.

On a lighter note, I spoke to a random Sportage Driver in the Gas Station and they have a different problem. The guy told me that he gets a pull on his right side and his tires are cutting really bad. So I told him to look out for my problem and he told me to look out for his problem.

Chow, pommcythere.

bgh
Trinituner Peong

Postby bgh » October 8th, 2012, 10:59 am

Pressure, got to look at the tires and rotors on ours tonight.

What model do you have, basic with 16" or executive with 18" wheels? a
Same for the person you spoke to in the gas station,16" or 18"?

is your sportage diesel?

Just want to know which model has the issue.

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » October 8th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Will update you all tomorrow evening, very tired, I dropped the van exactly @ 7am and I left the service center @4:30...and yuh know how the traffic is :S

Captainzaak
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Captainzaak » October 12th, 2012, 6:21 am

Any update on this bro? Curious to know what was the outcome.

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » October 12th, 2012, 10:02 pm

I now reach home.. :(
was busy whole week
will update tomorrow

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » October 13th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Alrighty then...
1st problem...I dropped off the van at 7:05am, got number one but yet I left Richmond Street at 4:15pm. A guy who came in and got number 5 came out way before me.

2. With regards to the rotor disc, I indicated on the form that the brakes were low & cutting the rotor disc. When I spoke to the receptionist she told me that depending on how you're driving affects the life of the brakes and 20,000km is normal life of the brakes. When I explained the whole thing about SUV and how much money she said how Mr. Rooplal is out of the country on training for two weeks and if I want the company to change it at their expense someone will have to inspect it to see if it can be shaven or polished. I said I don't want a polished one the van is new so she said when the acting person comes she will put me on to speak to him. So the acting guy told me that "a particle seemed to have been caught between the disc and the pad long enough to make a mark, its not the brakes, you still have half life on them the company doesn't have to change it".

So I said if the disc pads are making contact with the rotor disc how can a stone get in there to which he replied that depending on driving conditions be it off road etc that can happen. He goes along to explain that even in some sealed hubs they have found that happening, so I said ok because I have read/seen cases where that happened & it kinda made sense that if it was the brakes the others would be marked. :S

He advised me that how L&G and BAM are the two companies they deal with to handle the polishing but it would be easier for me if I did it privately instead of the company doing it as it would take longer for the company to carry it there. I was advised to do ONE side???? Aren't you supposed to do both to make it even although its only one damaged? The approximate cost of doing one side is $600.

When I inquired about the life of the brakes he said it depends on driving patterns and 14k-20k is normal life of the brakes. I told him about the previous vehicle and he said he cannot say about that.
He informed me that if I had dealings with Mr. Rooplal to seek his advice on that matter.

3. I washed the van before going because they normally do a body check for scratches etc. After paying for service the receptionist asked me if I'm waiting for the wash so I said let me see. I checked and the guys were using a hose and chamois cloth so I said okay wash it because it got a lil bit dirty from the drive.
BIG Mistake, when I was ready to sign out, what do you know, the van had a scratch on it. When I told the guy he said na, that's a stain and attempted to wipe it off only to realise it was a scratch. So I was like what we gonna do, he eh say nun, then he said is okay SO I said no, ent your job is to make sure it have no scratch coming in and going out, so what to do. He said go and make a report inside. When I did that they said to speak to the acting service manager. When I told the acting manager he said how are they supposed to see that, the vehicle was dirty. I said no no no, I washed it before bringing it it in and the form signed off this morning with no scratch what are you going to do. So after raising my voice a lil bit he said somebody from the company will call me either him or Mr. Rooplal. Me, very annoyed now asked what will the company do and he said when they called they will organize something.

So I'm going to wait till Mr. Rooplal comes back and decide what to do...
thanks for the advice everyone though
chow, pommcythere.

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » October 13th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Still find the brakes low, have to service in 6mths or 7,000km but may need to go in before cuz if the brakes are at half life I don't know how long they will last with my "aggressive driving" and all lol

I've been doing some research on Kia pads and I may start to order them. Don't know If i can get slotted rotor discs for the van but I'm still checking. I don't want to shave them & if I'm getting news ones may as well upgrade if I can lol
Last edited by vin123 on January 13th, 2013, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » December 26th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Gear Lever not moving from D to P
Gear Lever not pressing in.

Checked Kia forums and net, two people replied said it was a brake switch problem. Gear lever release button not working either so had to Wreck it on a flat bed to firm.
Called Firm, made appointment, got it changed as van was under warranty.
Problem? same as the two ppl said.

bgh
Trinituner Peong

Postby bgh » January 11th, 2013, 10:15 am

Vin, was your issue resloved?

vin123
Sweet on this forum

Postby vin123 » January 13th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Which Issue?

Advertisement