TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

COVID-19 in Trinidad & Tobago (Local Updates & Discussions Only)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Coronavirus - Wuhan, China strain

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 2nd, 2020, 10:16 pm

To the people calling for the cancellation of carnival - what does this mean?

Seems a bit open ended, I want a clear explanation of what you want.

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » February 3rd, 2020, 5:58 am

Daz joke, we taking 5 years to open a hospital thats already built.
Dohplaydat wrote:
shogun wrote:

Impressive despite the circumstances.

And we taking 3 years to build a freaking interchange in Curepe, big f*cking steups yes.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » February 3rd, 2020, 9:07 am

I love how people are saying this virus isn't that serious because the effects aren't as bad as other viruses yet they completely ignore the response that this virus had. They locked down an entire city, built a new hospital and restricted air travel. Not to mention started working on a vaccine/ cure for a strain of virus that was isolated last time there was an outbreak in 2003. People also know how to protect themselves better from spreading it now (proper face masks and sanitation etc.)

It is true that the death rate for this virus is not as high as other viruses but it is far more contagious. If this thing hits Trinidad, believe me, the effects would be far worse that China because we are not physically or mentally equipped to consider that hitting us. The most that we can do is use the same response that we use for other natural disasters. Say "God is a Trini" and hope it doesn't hit us.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » February 3rd, 2020, 9:53 am

Just out of curiosity - how equipped or unprepared are any of our medical institutions if they had to Properly quarantine mass amounts of people AND ensure that their medical staff maintained minimum exposure and lack of contact with people for an extended time for any type of Virus?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 3rd, 2020, 10:22 am

Ben_spanna wrote:Just out of curiosity - how equipped or unprepared are any of our medical institutions if they had to Properly quarantine mass amounts of people AND ensure that their medical staff maintained minimum exposure and lack of contact with people for an extended time for any type of Virus?

depends on what you mean by "mass amounts of people"
If you mean I estimate that Caura can handle isolate maybe 70-90 patients max, the other hospitals can handle more, maybe 150-200 each for POSGH, Mt Hope, & Grande. Sando would be under strain for space with even a few dozen cases.
If you mean 5-6K ppl infected with severe symptoms all at one time, stadiums, health centers, community centers will be utilized for space to isolate patients but there may not be enough personnel to attend to people.
the real questions is if we were to have an outbreak here if we have enough personnel ready and up to the task. biohazard disposal ppl, cooks, nurses, doctors, orderlies, morticians, etc.

Minimizing staff exposure would be easy enough, that is once protocols are set and consistently followed at all times. long sleeves, & proper masks, goggles & gloves worn at all times would minimize the risk of infection due to over exposure significantly.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » February 3rd, 2020, 10:23 am

Ben_spanna wrote:Just out of curiosity - how equipped or unprepared are any of our medical institutions if they had to Properly quarantine mass amounts of people AND ensure that their medical staff maintained minimum exposure and lack of contact with people for an extended time for any type of Virus?

We are hilariously unprepared. Take a walk around at any of our public hospitals and health centers and you’ll see for yourself, basic essentials are lacking.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 3rd, 2020, 11:41 am

Allyuh wrong. Dealsingh say we ready for anything.

I would like to get the contract to build a hospital in days though, but ah know he wife will get it.

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » February 3rd, 2020, 12:48 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:I love how people are saying this virus isn't that serious because the effects aren't as bad as other viruses yet they completely ignore the response that this virus had. They locked down an entire city, built a new hospital and restricted air travel. Not to mention started working on a vaccine/ cure for a strain of virus that was isolated last time there was an outbreak in 2003. People also know how to protect themselves better from spreading it now (proper face masks and sanitation etc.)

It is true that the death rate for this virus is not as high as other viruses but it is far more contagious. If this thing hits Trinidad, believe me, the effects would be far worse that China because we are not physically or mentally equipped to consider that hitting us. The most that we can do is use the same response that we use for other natural disasters. Say "God is a Trini" and hope it doesn't hit us.

I'm not sure if you're attacking me here. I firstly never said it's not serious. But as of the latest mutation (3 strains of 2019-nCoV) none have been very severe. A 2-3% mortality rate is bad but luckily also very manageable, and it indicates that it's killing those who don't have the immunity to fight it. Awareness is important, ensuring those who are vulnerable aren't exposed to it will lead to far lower mortality rates.

All I was saying is that until there is an outbreak in a country that has high travel to Trinidad, it's extremely unlikely it'll end up here.

The Chinese have done a lot to contain it. Xi knows this would be a big blow to China's international credibility. And they have put a lot of effort into containing it.

It's been 2 weeks since the initial outbreak and there still hasn't been an outbreak anywhere but China, despite it landing up I'm dozens of countries. Take good news when you see it. That is extremely good news and let's hope it stays that way.

It's fine to worry, but realism is needed. Short of closing our borders (which we literally can't do because look at all the Venezuelans here anyway) we will always be at some risk.

The risk from those coming from China and Asia are exponentially higher than those coming down for Carnival unless they coming from China.

We are a very reactionary population and love to blame the government. I'm not a PNM, but a lot of the procedures in place falls under general operations and even ODPM and individuals who have no party affiliation and are doing it because it is their job. So essentially, MoH will do the PR but us, the workers, know what we need to do. Talking specifically about how to handle individual cases. We have received a lot of training under the PP and procedures are in place.

Handling a handful of cases and quarantining them we can do, an outbreak.... hell freaking no, it would be a small disaster for trinidad. Everyone is right in saying we not prepared for an outbreak and that is 100% true.

Saying there's no risk due to Carnival is wrong (I do apologize), but the risk almost every big city in the West is facing is far far far worst. Yet borders aren't closed.

WHO will only recommend closing borders for a diseases that has an R naught of 3+ and mortality rate of 10% (not strict but those are generally accepted), and not to everyone.

Closing borders and cancelling events is not the correct course of action many times.

Read this, it will explain why an over zealous reaction of cancelling or postponing Carnival is not a smart nor effective move.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.co ... travel-ban

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 3rd, 2020, 2:10 pm

i too say the threat to trinidad is low.

simply because, most people from the affected regions would not come here, directly from there. they would more easily come via other countries, and big countries. and so, they woudl be screened there first, and most likely not allowed to go any farther past those stations.

im more interested in finding out what quarantine measures are set up to isolate people in the regular medical facilities, because there might be the first places a person might find out they have the virus. after they are found its a simple step to transport them to caura or where ever, and that will be the end of that.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 3rd, 2020, 3:20 pm

the condor flights from frankfurt-tobago tend to be sometimes half or more full with Chinese.
But I guess as wuhan locked down a while now few can get from there to then catch a flight to frankfurt.

sMASH wrote:i too say the threat to trinidad is low.

simply because, most people from the affected regions would not come here, directly from there. they would more easily come via other countries, and big countries. and so, they woudl be screened there first, and most likely not allowed to go any farther past those stations.

im more interested in finding out what quarantine measures are set up to isolate people in the regular medical facilities, because there might be the first places a person might find out they have the virus. after they are found its a simple step to transport them to caura or where ever, and that will be the end of that.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » February 3rd, 2020, 5:09 pm

Devourment wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:I love how people are saying this virus isn't that serious because the effects aren't as bad as other viruses yet they completely ignore the response that this virus had. They locked down an entire city, built a new hospital and restricted air travel. Not to mention started working on a vaccine/ cure for a strain of virus that was isolated last time there was an outbreak in 2003. People also know how to protect themselves better from spreading it now (proper face masks and sanitation etc.)

I'm not sure if you're attacking me here. I firstly never said it's not serious. But as of the latest mutation (3 strains of 2019-nCoV) none have been very severe. A 2-3% mortality rate is bad but luckily also very manageable, and it indicates that it's killing those who don't have the immunity to fight it. Awareness is important, ensuring those who are vulnerable aren't exposed to it will lead to far lower mortality rates.

All I was saying is that until there is an outbreak in a country that has high travel to Trinidad, it's extremely unlikely it'll end up here.

The Chinese have done a lot to contain it. Xi knows this would be a big blow to China's international credibility. And they have put a lot of effort into containing it.

It's been 2 weeks since the initial outbreak and there still hasn't been an outbreak anywhere but China, despite it landing up I'm dozens of countries. Take good news when you see it. That is extremely good news and let's hope it stays that way.

It's fine to worry, but realism is needed. Short of closing our borders (which we literally can't do because look at all the Venezuelans here anyway) we will always be at some risk.

The risk from those coming from China and Asia are exponentially higher than those coming down for Carnival unless they coming from China.

We are a very reactionary population and love to blame the government. I'm not a PNM, but a lot of the procedures in place falls under general operations and even ODPM and individuals who have no party affiliation and are doing it because it is their job. So essentially, MoH will do the PR but us, the workers, know what we need to do. Talking specifically about how to handle individual cases. We have received a lot of training under the PP and procedures are in place.

Handling a handful of cases and quarantining them we can do, an outbreak.... hell freaking no, it would be a small disaster for trinidad. Everyone is right in saying we not prepared for an outbreak and that is 100% true.

Saying there's no risk due to Carnival is wrong (I do apologize), but the risk almost every big city in the West is facing is far far far worst. Yet borders aren't closed.

WHO will only recommend closing borders for a diseases that has an R naught of 3+ and mortality rate of 10% (not strict but those are generally accepted), and not to everyone.

Closing borders and cancelling events is not the correct course of action many times.

Read this, it will explain why an over zealous reaction of cancelling or postponing Carnival is not a smart nor effective move.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.co ... travel-ban
Nah wasn't an attack on you. Sorry if it came across that way. Just a general comment on inaccurate posts that I have been seeing on social media.

But I basically agree with what you said. I'm not into Carnival or soca music but I know trying to get it shut down will never happen at such short notice. It also won't make much of a difference given the state of everything else. That's just people looking for another reason to hate on Carnival.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 3rd, 2020, 5:20 pm

Allyuh do what allyuh do best na, continue with allyuh stink ways until it get rampant.

When allyuh stink up the rivers and drains and allyuh mc get flood out, ENT is THEN allyuh start to scamper like cockroach all over the place in a big panic and a setta long tears??

So as i said, allyuh continue to do nothing and wait last minute.

Remember, Carnival is the priority.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » February 3rd, 2020, 6:28 pm

Sad story...

Coronavirus: Disabled boy dies in China after father quarantined

Two officials in China have been removed from their posts after a teenager with cerebral palsy died when his father - and sole carer - was quarantined for suspected coronavirus.

Yan Cheng, 16, was found dead on Wednesday, a week after his father and brother were placed in quarantine.

The boy was fed only twice during this time, according to reports.

Both the local Communist Party secretary and mayor in Huajiahe town have been dismissed over the case.

Yan Cheng's story has been trending on social media websites.

The family lived in China's central Hubei province, the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak.

According to local media, the teenager's father had posted on Chinese social media platform Weibo appealing for help and explaining that his son had been left alone without food or water.

Cerebral palsy is the name for a group of conditions that appear in early childhood, and affect movement and co-ordination. Symptoms vary, and can include tremors, stiff or weak muscles, problems swallowing, and trouble with vision, speech and hearing. Those affected may be severely disabled.

Officials had previously announced that an investigation would be carried out into the boy's death.

In China, 361 people have died of coronavirus and more than 17,000 cases of the virus have been confirmed. There have also been more than 150 confirmed cases of the virus outside China, including one death in the Philippines.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned the number of cases is likely to rise further, and Chinese authorities have introduced a number of measures to try to halt the virus's spread.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51362772

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » February 3rd, 2020, 7:24 pm

fire go kill the virus, build a wall around wuhan and set fire. dey hadda study the greater good. next ting this turn in season 1 of walking dead or zombie nation. if the quarantine the town for a month that would not mean the virus is dead, they have to kill the virus stating with ground zero or is it that they quarantine them till they create a vaccine?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 3rd, 2020, 7:39 pm

stand up in your house, lock all the doors and windows, and then light it a fire. That way you sure to never get the virus.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 3rd, 2020, 7:51 pm

Was talking to one of my suppliers in China this mrn. He say the media up there more or less blacking out information on how much it spreading. He ask if it's a big deal on our part of the world as he only hear it limited to wuhan.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » February 3rd, 2020, 8:17 pm

maj. tom wrote:stand up in your house, lock all the doors and windows, and then light it a fire. That way you sure to never get the virus.

i feel u is a pnm yes. only a pnm cud be dotish like u.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » February 3rd, 2020, 8:24 pm

This thing killing 50-60 people a day... and infecting over 2000 everyday

Some scary sheit...

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » February 3rd, 2020, 8:34 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:To the people calling for the cancellation of carnival - what does this mean?

Seems a bit open ended, I want a clear explanation of what you want.

If this is a legit question, I would model it after the 2012 SoE from the PP gov't. The country was effectively locked down for an extended period of time while authorities did what they have to do.

If the gov't was fighting an outbreak and needed to track down close contacts and quarantine suspected households, that would be the ideal environment. SoE powers also explicitly allow the govt to ban mass gatherings, conduct searches, detain people without court order, etc.

The fact the SoE has been successfully carried out before makes it a very compelling option in the event of an outbreak or suspected outbreak.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 3rd, 2020, 11:51 pm

Gladiator wrote:This thing killing 50-60 people a day... and infecting over 2000 everyday

Some scary sheit...

cases & deaths increasing exponentially, a guy on youtube say the R0 is 4 (meaning each infected person is infecting another 4, those 4 infect 4 each >16, then 64, 256, etc)

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 4th, 2020, 12:19 am

dineshb316
3NE 2NR for life

Postby dineshb316 » February 4th, 2020, 1:56 am

Coronavirus live updates: first Hong Kong death reported as China cases pass 20,000

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/04/coronavirus-live-updates-china-wuhan-outbreak-death-toll-latest-news-update

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » February 4th, 2020, 4:10 am

Just to calm down some of you, worst case situation in China is 1 in 10,000 people have it.

To put that in perspective, that's like if 150 trinis got it.

Over 1000 people get dengue annually here, Dengue has a mortality rate worse than Coronavirus (best case they're the same).

Very different type of diseases, but I hope these numbers can put things in perspective.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » February 4th, 2020, 4:27 am

That's a stupid comparison. Dengue cant pass from simple contact with each other.

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » February 4th, 2020, 4:33 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:That's a stupid comparison. Dengue cant pass from simple contact with each other.

Just comparing it from a numbers perspective.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » February 4th, 2020, 7:57 am

quite industrious that they could erect a make shift hospital to have extra 2600 beds in a mere 10 days, here our lazy arse labourers cant even start a foundation in that time..................

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » February 4th, 2020, 8:39 am

Meanwhile in pothole land.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » February 4th, 2020, 10:44 am

Devourment wrote:Just to calm down some of you, worst case situation in China is 1 in 10,000 people have it.

To put that in perspective, that's like if 150 trinis got it.

Over 1000 people get dengue annually here, Dengue has a mortality rate worse than Coronavirus (best case they're the same).

Very different type of diseases, but I hope these numbers can put things in perspective.

I must say, this complacent, laissez-faire attitude towards what is happening globally shows up our third world thinking and small island mentality. As a medical professional, rather than advising persons how to prep and what to expect etc. you keep downplaying the entire situation. Yes, it may never reach Trinidad, but if everyone thinks like you then we would all be extinct if it does reach here. Being reactive is the order of the day... just look at how the Govt runs the country.

Stop doing stupid things like comparing this to dengue which is a mosquito borne virus. The infection rate of this virus is phenomenal and what you think, them Chinese not taking precautions. But still 2000+ cases a day. And that's just what is reported

How is this for numbers:

Rising death toll: The number of reported deaths in China has been jumping rapidly. It topped 100 on January 28, passed 200 by January 31, overtook 300 on February 1, and exceeded 400 today.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 4th, 2020, 11:23 am

prices of N95 masks on Amazon

these ones unfortunately aren't in stock till March 8th

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”