Forums

Local Car Industry History WTK

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Syberfraggle
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Local Car Industry History WTK

Postby Syberfraggle » May 4th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Drove one of those Mahindra's for a few months..real treat it bad to try and break it. Tough bastard held up.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » May 4th, 2020, 9:53 pm

rspann wrote:Neal and Massy used to sell Chevrolet and then Holden . They also sold Bedfords . Southern Sales took over Holden afterwards .

I walked every square inch of the Toyota plant in Las Lomas , even the section they use to make big maxis on the Dyna front and chassis . Even the jigs they moved the cars on the assembly lines were locally made . The last thing they were installing was an electro-dip and a modern painting section and then they closed . The sold out the parts retail up until there was a fire that burned down the parts section. What the Maxi was called ? Lemme see if anybody know .

Anybody ever heard about J k BAyne ?

Charles Mc Enearney sold Austins and some other cars . That was long before they became a part of McAL .

Only bus i could ever remember from Toyota was the Coaster.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » May 5th, 2020, 7:17 am

sad that renault left, their 1.8T megane RS is a weapon and would escape the 2.0ltr tax making it an 'affordable' pocket rocket...

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/renault/megane-rs

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 5th, 2020, 9:02 am

Strugglerzinc wrote:
rspann wrote:Neal and Massy used to sell Chevrolet and then Holden . They also sold Bedfords . Southern Sales took over Holden afterwards .

I walked every square inch of the Toyota plant in Las Lomas , even the section they use to make big maxis on the Dyna front and chassis . Even the jigs they moved the cars on the assembly lines were locally made . The last thing they were installing was an electro-dip and a modern painting section and then they closed . The sold out the parts retail up until there was a fire that burned down the parts section. What the Maxi was called ? Lemme see if anybody know .

Anybody ever heard about J k BAyne ?

Charles Mc Enearney sold Austins and some other cars . That was long before they became a part of McAL .

Only bus i could ever remember from Toyota was the Coaster.

They made maxis on the Dyna chassis with fibreglass body . The whole side was one panel , the roof was one then the front and the rear was also whole pieces . I remembered when they were on the road and saw the moulds and whole panels in the plant . I'm sure the name would come back to me .

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » May 5th, 2020, 10:03 am

rspann wrote:They made maxis on the Dyna chassis with fibreglass body . The whole side was one panel , the roof was one then the front and the rear was also whole pieces . I remembered when they were on the road and saw the moulds and whole panels in the plant . I'm sure the name would come back to me .

That maxi design using the Dyna chassis was done in Trinidad or we imported the design?

I remember the Bluebird maxi body on the Nissan chassis. Thing literally looked like a lunch kit with wheels.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » May 5th, 2020, 10:28 am

Those Renaults were tough as nails and sippers to boot.

Can't remember if it was the 12, but some models were front-wheel drive with longitudinally mounted engines — kinda strange setup at the time...:|

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 5th, 2020, 2:08 pm

aaah boi cresta yes ! , even as a baby i remember my much older bro had 1

dem ladas were fairly cheap back in its day while dem mahindra for over 100k in time was plenty $$$ ...

antlind
Riding on 17's

Postby antlind » May 5th, 2020, 4:23 pm

hydroep wrote:Those Renaults were tough as nails and sippers to boot.

Can't remember if it was the 12, but some models were front-wheel drive with longitudinally mounted engines — kinda strange setup at the time...:|

Yes. That’s the R12. First car my dad gave me in 1982. It was a 1977 model. Lots of low end torque. We had a R16 which had the same longitudinal engine but with the gearbox ahead of the engine. That was a strange design. We also has a R10 with the engine in the rear.

swil
Riding on 13's

Postby swil » May 5th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Last edited by swil on January 23rd, 2021, 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » May 5th, 2020, 5:33 pm

antlind wrote:
hydroep wrote:Those Renaults were tough as nails and sippers to boot.

Yes. That’s the R12. First car my dad gave me in 1982. It was a 1977 model. Lots of low end torque. We had a R16 which had the same longitudinal engine but with the gearbox ahead of the engine. That was a strange design. We also has a R10 with the engine in the rear.

3 wheel studs at all wheels as well on the R12, very weird

swil
Riding on 13's

Postby swil » May 5th, 2020, 5:40 pm

and J.K.Bayne was on richmond street,and i used to admire the triumph and bsa motorcycles they sold.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 5th, 2020, 6:02 pm

:evilbat:
swil wrote:and J.K.Bayne was on richmond street,and i used to admire the triumph and bsa motorcycles they sold.

I heard about it , but never saw it .

Battoo bros was my first experience in a car showroom. My father carried me there at six years old. They were in that big shed Cor Park and St Vincent st , Green corner .

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 5th, 2020, 6:04 pm

So nobody remember those fibreglass big maxis with the tall flat sloping sides ?

Mercenary
Riding on 18's

Postby Mercenary » May 5th, 2020, 6:53 pm

rspann wrote:So nobody remember those fibreglass big maxis with the tall flat sloping sides ?

I only ever see one and that’s recently. Weird looking but cool

antlind
Riding on 17's

Postby antlind » May 5th, 2020, 6:58 pm

swil wrote:there was a renault dealer(henry pain),at the corner of ariapita ave.and french st. that sold a rear engine renault model similar to pic.there were quite a few on the road.

Yes. That’s the R10. Actually that pic may be an R8. But essentially the same car. Rear engine. When I was small we used to pack up in that for the annual trip to Mayaro. Lots of good memories.

swil
Riding on 13's

Postby swil » May 5th, 2020, 7:22 pm

henry pain,the renault dealer was located on the same spot where mas camp or whatever it's called now is,and j.k.bayne was just south of charles street on richmond after mcenearney.those days triumph and bsa motorcycles were popular,and charles mcenearney had many cortinas in their showroom at the corner of charles and richmond streets,not the red model posted earlier,the angular one before that.
i remember battoo bros.opposite green corner as it was called, they also had a hired car service.

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » May 5th, 2020, 7:31 pm

Is that the one where all the owners were complaining on the news?
rspann wrote:So nobody remember those fibreglass big maxis with the tall flat sloping sides ?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 5th, 2020, 7:41 pm

rebound wrote:Is that the one where all the owners were complaining on the news?

I don't remember that ,but I remember seeing them on the road and they called them DYNAsaurs . I saw the place in the plant where they made them and all the moulds , the panels and a few during the manufacture stage .

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 5th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Southern sales had GM shared with Neal and Massy , and Massy had the assembly plant in Morvant before it was moved to Arima . Lara's father in law worked there for a very long while and gives me stories about his days in the plant . Today when I told him about this thread he laughed . He remembers assembling and finishing the Vauxhall Viva .

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » May 5th, 2020, 7:59 pm

The name started with F i think..just cant remember
rspann wrote:
rebound wrote:Is that the one where all the owners were complaining on the news?

I don't remember that ,but I remember seeing them on the road and they called them DYNAsaurs . I saw the place in the plant where they made them and all the moulds , the panels and a few during the manufacture stage .

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » May 5th, 2020, 8:01 pm

Was just wondering what was the build quality of those locally assembled cars and how did they compare to their Japanese counterparts? I would have seen them growing up but we never owned a car until I started working many years later so was curious

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 5th, 2020, 8:13 pm

Amars used to assemble them and they would be in the compound for a while before selling and then rustproofing . The bodies were always prone to rusting . Crowns , Hilux ,Corollas etc . That's why there are hardly any of those cars still around today as compared to the imported cars that came after which were electro-dipped etc. The hard part is that people use to pay salesmen thousands to bump their name up on the list for cars like Super Saloons and 280 c's.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » May 5th, 2020, 8:27 pm

those ke70 known for that

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » May 5th, 2020, 8:37 pm

rspann wrote:

I think the one with the complaints was the Asia Combi from the early 90's

Spann, did the maxi have the face of a Dyna? if so i think i remember it from my primary school days, i believe was a school van or somebody parent at the time. I always thought somebody home made something from a Dyna.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Dad was on a waiting list for a Cressida or a 280C. The 280C was available before. Money was quicker passed with the Toyota brands.
rspann wrote:Amars used to assemble them and they would be in the compound for a while before selling and then rustproofing . The bodies were always prone to rusting . Crowns , Hilux ,Corollas etc . That's why there are hardly any of those cars still around today as compared to the imported cars that came after which were electro-dipped etc. The hard part is that people use to pay salesmen thousands to bump their name up on the list for cars like Super Saloons and 280 c's.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 5th, 2020, 8:39 pm

alfa wrote:Was just wondering what was the build quality of those locally assembled cars and how did they compare to their Japanese counterparts? I would have seen them growing up but we never owned a car until I started working many years later so was curious
The quality was lower my family bought a CKD 280C and it started rusting in less than 2 years, made a deal with N&M and got a "foreign assembled" one, don't recall the specifics of how that worked back then but I do remember getting a set of golf clubs in the trunk which I don't think was supposed to happen. When we sold that we bought the Laurel that does "talk" eventually sold that and went with a foreign used no post Laurel PBB series.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 5th, 2020, 9:05 pm

Spann, did the maxi have the face of a Dyna? if so i think i remember it from my primary school days, i believe was a school van or somebody parent at the time. I always thought somebody home made something from a Dyna.[/quote]

I remember it used to look homemade . The floor was framed with angle iron and sheeted with plywood .

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 5th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Dave wrote:Dad was on a waiting list for a Cressida or a 280C. The 280C was available before. Money was quicker passed with the Toyota brands.
rspann wrote:Amars used to assemble them and they would be in the compound for a while before selling and then rustproofing . The bodies were always prone to rusting . Crowns , Hilux ,Corollas etc . That's why there are hardly any of those cars still around today as compared to the imported cars that came after which were electro-dipped etc. The hard part is that people use to pay salesmen thousands to bump their name up on the list for cars like Super Saloons and 280 c's.

You remember man paying $5000 to $10000 to get a Royal ? Who had connections used to sell andake a good piece of money.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 6th, 2020, 4:45 am

I certainly do. The Toyota sales man was trying to get Dad in a crown instead and almost blatantly saying it can happen quicker than the Cressida for the right actions on his path.
He was a solid mid class public servant with a travelling post so even without the taxes and a very good govt loan a crown was still a very far reach for him with a young family and a mortgage being furnished.

Let's see how many ppl here when they bought two Nissan's in quick succession got the raffle like ticket to go get a B11 Sunny with free radio and ac and rust proofing for a ridiculous price of iirc about $15k?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 6th, 2020, 6:39 am

all regular the box lancers were locally assembled ?
they all were prone to rusting by the trunk near back glass

the gsr ones did not have that problem

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”