Forums

Oil change

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sharadu2
Street 2NR

Oil change

Postby sharadu2 » July 2nd, 2020, 4:25 pm

I have a present model CRV 2019 and did my first service and was wondering why and how ANSA putting 4.7 quarts of oil when the manual says 3.5 quarts.

eitech
punchin NOS

Re: Oil change

Postby eitech » July 2nd, 2020, 6:31 pm

When i started servicing my vehicle after i got a manual i can say that most mechanics overfill engine oil and ive been to a few of them, from small man to big companies

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » July 2nd, 2020, 6:31 pm

Never understood this
eitech wrote:When i started servicing my vehicle after i got a manual i can say that most mechanics overfill engine oil and ive been to a few of them, from small man to big companies

apole69
Street 2NR

Postby apole69 » July 2nd, 2020, 8:52 pm

eitech wrote:When i started servicing my vehicle after i got a manual i can say that most mechanics overfill engine oil and ive been to a few of them, from small man to big companies

What do you mean ? Oil level exceeds the full mark ?

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » July 2nd, 2020, 8:55 pm

Yep

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 11th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Yep I overfill slightly.

It is above the full mark if checked after left sitting overnight.
But it is within range if checked 10 minutes after it was running

Not all manufactures say how or when to check the oil
*KRONIK* wrote:Never understood this

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 12th, 2020, 5:22 pm

If your dipstick has a low and hi mark, why overfill? I have seen ppl do oil changes for me and the level is one inch above the high mark

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 12th, 2020, 5:39 pm

Cause the roads aren't always flat, and I corner pretty hard. Any little thing I could do to avoid an oil starvation event. In my case, a little more than the F on my dip stick I will add
eitech wrote:If your dipstick has a low and hi mark, why overfill? I have seen ppl do oil changes for me and the level is one inch above the high mark

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 12th, 2020, 6:02 pm

kamakazi wrote:Cause the roads aren't always flat, and I corner pretty hard. Any little thing I could do to avoid an oil starvation event. In my case, a little more than the F on my dip stick I will add
eitech wrote:If your dipstick has a low and hi mark, why overfill? I have seen ppl do oil changes for me and the level is one inch above the high mark
The low level on the dipstick is sufficient for pump efficiency for all day operation on a 6°/10% grade. Unless you're driving on a high speed oval, you won't be in a turn long enough to diminish lubricant film unless perhaps your engine is overheating.

Although it may not be an issue for your particular situation, overfilling your engine oil can cause foaming or seal failure.

The safest and most economical bet is to fill to capacity and change oil according to schedule.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 12th, 2020, 8:54 pm

adnj wrote:
kamakazi wrote:Cause the roads aren't always flat, and I corner pretty hard. Any little thing I could do to avoid an oil starvation event. In my case, a little more than the F on my dip stick I will add
The low level on the dipstick is sufficient for pump efficiency for all day operation on a 6°/10% grade. Unless you're driving on a high speed oval, you won't be in a turn long enough to diminish lubricant film unless perhaps your engine is overheating.

Although it may not be an issue for your particular situation, overfilling your engine oil can cause foaming or seal failure.

The safest and most economical bet is to fill to capacity and change oil according to schedule.

Lol i wanna know wey in Trinidad this man driving. Interestingly enough by the time i realised my engine was getting to much oil, my rocker cover seals for spark plugs failed. Not sure if related or coincidence. That made me start measuring and verifying against the manual to see what is the adequate amount. So now i know, i refill to “h” mark each time.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 23rd, 2020, 10:18 pm

All I'm saying, following my owners manual will actually have the oil level over the upper mark on the dip stick.(in terms of recommended volume)

I can't remember reading how or when I should check the level in manual. So if I check it after the engine has been stationary for 7 hrs its above the upper mark. If I start the vehicle and check after 10 minutes it will show between the lower and upper mark

Just today changed the oil in my sister's Civic; filled up just below the upper mark on the district. Started the car and let it run for just a minute. Checked oil level after 5 minutes, bone dry (nothing showing on the stick). Poured in more oil to the upper dipstick mark... Almost certain that it will be above that mark tomorrow

BTW... Trinidad has three hill ranges and Tobago also has some long hill climbs

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 24th, 2020, 4:56 am

kamakazi wrote:All I'm saying, following my owners manual will actually have the oil level over the upper mark on the dip stick.(in terms of recommended volume)

I can't remember reading how or when I should check the level in manual. So if I check it after the engine has been stationary for 7 hrs its above the upper mark. If I start the vehicle and check after 10 minutes it will show between the lower and upper mark

Just today changed the oil in my sister's Civic; filled up just below the upper mark on the district. Started the car and let it run for just a minute. Checked oil level after 5 minutes, bone dry (nothing showing on the stick). Poured in more oil to the upper dipstick mark... Almost certain that it will be above that mark tomorrow

In general, engine oil level should be checked when the engine is cold to the touch and the vehicle is parked on a level surface. Checking your oil after every tank of fuel or at least once per month is recommended by many.

Correct oil level is achieved when the oil level is between the two extreme marks on the oil dipstick. There can be exceptions so consult your owner's manual for the definitive answer.

When changing your oil, fill to recommended volume as given in the owner's manual or add to maximum level as shown by checking the dipstick. Start the engine and allow it to idle for five to ten minutes. Oil will be deposited throughout the engine, air will be purged and the oil filter will be filled.

Shut down the engine and allow it to cool to the touch, recheck the oil level and adjust as necessary.

Check the oil more often soon after an oil change to check for oil loss caused by improperly reinstalled oil filters and oil fill caps.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 24th, 2020, 6:09 am

adnj wrote:
kamakazi wrote:All I'm saying, following my owners manual will actually have the oil level over the upper mark on the dip stick.(in terms of recommended volume)

In general, engine oil level should be checked when the engine is cold to the touch and the vehicle is parked on a level surface. Checking your oil after every tank of fuel or at least once per month is recommended by many.

Correct oil level is achieved when the oil level is between the two extreme marks on the oil dipstick. There can be exceptions so consult your owner's manual for the definitive answer.

When changing your oil, fill to recommended volume as given in the owner's manual or add to maximum level as shown by checking the dipstick. Start the engine and allow it to idle for five to ten minutes. Oil will be deposited throughout the engine, air will be purged and the oil filter will be filled.

Shut down the engine and allow it to cool to the touch, recheck the oil level and adjust as necessary.

Check the oil more often soon after an oil change to check for oil loss caused by improperly reinstalled oil filters and oil fill caps.

Car basic 101

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Let's look at a Subaru

Oil capacity of about 5 quarts
Oil change interval 3000-6000 miles
Normal oil consumption listed as high as 1 quart per 1000 miles

Not everyone checks their dipstick between oil changes. Before an owner's next oil change that engine can potentially burn through half to all its oil.

If I am a mechanic servicing your vehicle and I know you are not doing/checking anything until your next oil change; if over decides to go over the interval by another 1k miles... I'm definitely going to put a little more than that level on the dipstick.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 14th, 2020, 8:08 am

kamakazi wrote:Let's look at a Subaru

Oil capacity of about 5 quarts
Oil change interval 3000-6000 miles
Normal oil consumption listed as high as 1 quart per 1000 miles

Not everyone checks their dipstick between oil changes. Before an owner's next oil change that engine can potentially burn through half to all its oil.

If I am a mechanic servicing your vehicle and I know you are not doing/checking anything until your next oil change; if over decides to go over the interval by another 1k miles... I'm definitely going to put a little more than that level on the dipstick.

Many people neglect to check their engine oil level. That is why there is a low oil warning light.

Somewhere during the time that it takes for a Subaru to burn 6 to 20 full tanks of fuel, that dipstick should have been checked.

A certified mechanic will most likely not fill an engine's oil reservoir beyond capacity -- but they can't stop you from doing it to your own engine.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » September 14th, 2020, 6:50 pm

If you over filling cuz ur abnormally burning off oil between oil changes then you have an excuse. You have a problem to fix otherwise. Overfilling is not a requirement of a well functioning engine regardless if you driving on steep slopes or cornering hard

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 14th, 2020, 7:53 pm

adnj wrote:

Endorsed

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 14th, 2020, 11:42 pm

It is just a scenario I gave... And that is what is stated as being normal for Subaru.

That light on japanese cars is a low oil pressure light... And usually if it comes on while you are driving, the pressure sensor has failed or the engine is toast.

eitech wrote:If you over filling cuz ur abnormally burning off oil between oil changes then you have an excuse. You have a problem to fix otherwise. Overfilling is not a requirement of a well functioning engine regardless if you driving on steep slopes or cornering hard

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 15th, 2020, 5:14 am

kamakazi wrote:It is just a scenario I gave... And that is what is stated as being normal for Subaru.

That light on japanese cars is a low oil pressure light... And usually if it comes on while you are driving, the pressure sensor has failed or the engine is toast.

eitech wrote:If you over filling cuz ur abnormally burning off oil between oil changes then you have an excuse. You have a problem to fix otherwise. Overfilling is not a requirement of a well functioning engine regardless if you driving on steep slopes or cornering hard

The low oil warning light will come on when oil pressure falls below 5 to 10 psi, depending on manufacturer. It will also come on if the oil pressure circuit or the sensor itself fails. The oil pressure warning lamp will light when the vehicle is switched on to prove-out its function.

The low oil warning light function and prove-out is regulated by vehicle safety standards in every world region.

It seems as if you are working very hard to rationalize certain practices that are not recommended and are, in fact, relatively common causes of failure.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 15th, 2020, 6:49 am

I'm just giving my points in a discussion; it started with vehicles appearing to be overfilled by mechanics. In some cases it could be way too much. In others, the dipstick might have been used incorrectly. It might have been done by mechanics not knowing how long the owner intends to extend his oil changes
I don't believe many persons check their oil between changes. I've also seen the damage that can be caused if one waits for the oil light (jap cars) before they refill.

Would like to know what common causes of failure you are referring to.

Would also like to know where the other person got the info for the grade and the lower dipstick level.

adnj wrote:
kamakazi wrote:It is just a scenario I gave... And that is what is stated as being normal for Subaru.

The low oil warning light will come on when oil pressure falls below 5 to 10 psi, depending on manufacturer. It will also come on if the oil pressure circuit or the sensor itself fails. The oil pressure warning lamp will light when the vehicle is switched on to prove-out its function.

The low oil warning light function and prove-out is regulated by vehicle safety standards in every world region.

It seems as if you are working very hard to rationalize certain practices that are not recommended and are, in fact, relatively common causes of failure.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » September 15th, 2020, 8:59 am

My dad always taught me that overfilling can cause the seals to damage and leak. Just because your oil level is on the low mark doesn't mean there is almost no oil in the engine. My car takes 3.5 qts of oil and to fill from the low mark to the high mark it takes maybe 3/4 qt. So even if it is on the low mark there is still at least 2 qts circulating in the engine.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 15th, 2020, 9:40 am

Musical Doc wrote:My dad always taught me that overfilling can cause the seals to damage and leak. Just because your oil level is on the low mark doesn't mean there is almost no oil in the engine. My car takes 3.5 qts of oil and to fill from the low mark to the high mark it takes maybe 3/4 qt. So even if it is on the low mark there is still at least 2 qts circulating in the engine.
Your father was correct.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”