Forums

TriniTuner Blood Bank & Organ Donor Register

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

TriniTuner Blood Bank & Organ Donor Register

Postby AutoSport » November 14th, 2006, 9:40 am

So let’s make another attempt to get Tuners to make a concerted effort to build their own in-house Blood Bank Register for when the need arises.

Now let’s not forget that we all have a very great desire to be involved in some aspect of Motor Racing and who knows when the need may arise as a result of some unfortunate Motor Racing incident.

We have seen time and time again when an emergency arises, there is a mad scramble to run around to seek out donors to help some family or friend.

There are some who have very valid reasons why they are unable to be a blood donor. But they can also help in this cause.

Notwithstanding, we can all make a very bold effort to be a donor, or have some others in your family, or close friends, be a donor.

It costs nothing, but maybe two hours of your time, males every 4 months, females every 6 months, if you become a consistent Voluntary donor.

But one has to have a very disciplined behavioral pattern to get past the starting line.

It would be great to have one Tuner register every week as a new Voluntary Donor.

ORGAN DONATION: The Basics
http://www.health.gov.tt/sitepages/default.aspx?id=108

Becoming an organ donor is easy, just call 800-DONOR. Read the following for answers to questions you may have regarding organ donation:

Q. What exactly does being an organ donor means?
Being an organ donor means that you have agreed to give life to someone else by donating your body’s organs when you die (either by natural cause or in a tragic accident).

As an organ donor, you will be giving part of yourself to help someone who needs an organ transplant and, in doing so, you will be giving them the chance to live longer and to lead a full life.

Q. If doctors know that I have agreed to be an organ donor; will they still do everything to save my life?
YES! Your doctor’s first priority and everything possible will always be done to save your life.

Your decision to become an organ donor comes into effect only when all their efforts to save your life have been exhausted and your death is imminent, or has been declared according to specific medical and legal guidelines. Also, your team doctor is completely separate from the organ recovery and transplant team, who are called in at the end.

Q. If I am in a coma and declared brain stem dead how do I know I won’t eventually recover?

Being in a coma and being declared brain stem dead is not the same thing. You can be in a coma for a variety of reasons but you must be considered brain stem dead. In such cases, you cannot be considered for organ donation. Brain stem dead is final and irreversible. Once you are declared brain stem dead, you are legally dead.

Q. What is the charge to my family to donate an organ, or recipients to receive a donated organ?
There is NO CHARGE to either organ donor recipient under the Ministry of Health National Organ Transplant Programme.

Q. How do I know my donated organ will not simply be given or sold to the rich and famous?
IT IS ILLEGAL TO SELL ORGANS in Trinidad & Tobago. Recipients for deceases donor are chosen through a matching systems, which selects and matches people based on compatibility criteria. This includes blood group, organ size, serology status, urgency and waiting time. A person’s wealth cannot sway or impact the eventual decision.

Q. Will organ donation disfigure my body? Will my family be able to have an open casket funeral for me?
Organ donation is similar to surgery. There will be no disfigurement to a donors’ body. Like surgery, all incisions are closed, and you can have an open casket.

Q. Who can became a donor and what are the age limits?
This depends on the organ being donated. Anyone above the age of eighteen (18) years can choose to be a donor. However, people under the age of eighteen (18) years require the consent of a parent or guardian.

Q. How do I make it known that I wish to be an organ donor?
You can join National Organ Transplant Registry by calling 66-DONOR or sign a National Organ Donor Card. Fill the card out and carry it with you all the times!

Most importantly, discuss your wish to be an organ donor with your family members and close friends so that your decision is clear.

(Even though you may have signed an Organ Donor Card, your next of kin must give permission before any of your organs can be retrieved. Remember that, at the time of your death, it may be very difficult for your loved ones to consider organ donation unless you have made your wishes know before.)

Q. Which organ or tissue can I donate?
Initially, kidneys are the only organ to be covered under The Ministry of Health National Organ Transplant Programme since more people require kidney transplants. The tissue that can be donated is the cornea. Eventually, the programme will be extended to include hearts, pancreas, lungs and livers.

All of the world's (and Trinidad and Tobago’s) main religious denominations consider organ donation as the highest oh humanitarian ideals. Giving life to another by sharing part of yourself is consistent with the tenets of most religious and ethical beliefs. If you are still unsure about it, talk to your religious advisor.

Q. How many people in Trinidad and Tobago need Organs Transplant?
Right now, there are approximately 500 nationals who need kidney transplant and the number grows by 40 each year. A very large number people die each year waiting for a kidney transplant.

Similarly, there are hundreds of eye patients in danger of losing some or all of their sight due to corneal problems, which while not life threatening is certainly, life changing.

Q. As a donor, can I determine who receives my organs or tissues?
This is only possible if you are a live donor.

http://www.health.gov.tt/sitepages/default.aspx?id=109

Serious responses only.

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » November 14th, 2006, 10:46 am

good idea... I thought of this while giving blood two weeks aback

check me in 4 months... I'll have a pint for you guys then

olton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby olton » November 14th, 2006, 12:05 pm

Nice!

Anyone can give some more info on how it actually works?
Where? It have parking? How long it does really take? How passed out it leaves you? What are the pre-qualifcations?

babylove
Street 2NR

Postby babylove » November 14th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Does Blood Bank still have the 'blood mobile'?? Maybe if a convenient time and place could be arranged for everyone to meet.
It is so inconvenient to go and wait for hours at the Blood Bank POS.

Yorkshirelass
CARS Member

Postby Yorkshirelass » November 14th, 2006, 7:35 pm

babylove wrote:Does Blood Bank still have the 'blood mobile'?? Maybe if a convenient time and place could be arranged for everyone to meet.
It is so inconvenient to go and wait for hours at the Blood Bank POS.

^^^ yeah, I know it's a poor excuse but that's the reason I have never gone, plus you really need someone to pick you up after and to do that is sometimes difficult.
How long does it take?
Would definitely be interested.

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » November 14th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Yorkshirelass wrote:^^^ yeah, I know it's a poor excuse but that's the reason I have never gone, plus you really need someone to pick you up after and to do that is sometimes difficult.
How long does it take?
Would definitely be interested.

They came to the office about 2 weeks ago. The donation itself took about 20 minutes. Cater for about 45 minutes for the testing, donation, and a rest afterwards

Autosport... I was actually thinking of organizing a central location (like say Ato Boldon Stadium) on say a Saturday or something.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 14th, 2006, 8:56 pm

excellent idea

organize a place where the mobile unit can come for the day

going to the blood bank can be a real pain with the wait

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » November 14th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Good work Mini, I know (I went in yesterday), you are committed to this project, so we will try to build up our Register. And this will also give us the various Blood types.

Any more already registered Voluntary donors in the house?

For those who wish to sign up and go, I am prepared to make the time and accompany you the first time.

Ok so here is some more info. for the serious. There is available parking at the Blood Bank on Charlotte Street (in south also??). Hours are from 8:00 to 4:00pm. But remember it is Govt. If you go as a volunteer, you really get special preferential treatment. I went in on Monday at around 10:15am and was out by 11:20am.

The very personal questions will make you squirm, but it is all for everyone’s benefit, and it is expected that donors be honest in their responses, and it forces you to practice a healthy lifestyle.

First they ask you this whole long list of questions (I will try to get the full list), about your health, ailments if any, family health history.

Then they check your weight, blood pressure, body temperature, and then you get a little stick on your finger to take a drop of blood and check this for your blood count.

If you get pass this then you move on to the final step of donating the pint of blood. This is done in a separate room, (with up to three donors at a time, and maybe three more relaxing after donating). The nurses in attendance thoroughly clean the area on your arm just below the elbow, where the needle is injected. This is connected to a tube and then a bag (out of sight) into which the blood flows.

This process can take from 5 minutes to maybe 15 minutes, varies for each individual (depending on if your heart is NA, VTEC or Turbo - sorry no Nitrous). During this process the nurses ask you from time to time if you are OK, and how are you feeling.

Then the nurses remove the needle and put a small plaster over the pricked-area, and seal off the tube. You are then asked to stay in the lying position for about 15 minutes and offered a glass of milk, juice or water, and also giver some biscuits. You are then given a Card onto which is recorded each visit you make and the total amount of pints you have deposited (remember 1 pint at a time). Thereafter you are advised to not smoke or drink alcohol for two hours, do no strenuous work, and you can drive and go about your normal activities.

I will check on the possibility of the Mobile Blood bank going to a specific venue, but this will only be possible if there are sufficient donors.

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » November 15th, 2006, 9:38 am

tips on donating blood

http://www.givelife2.org/donor/tips.asp

Before Donating

Get a good night’s sleep
Have a good breakfast or lunch
Drink extra water and fluids to replace the volume you will donate (avoid tea, coffee, or other beverages with caffeine)
Eat iron-rich foods — red meat, fish, poultry or liver, beans, iron-fortified cereals, raisins and prunes
Avoid fatty foods, such as hamburgers, fries, or ice cream before donating. Tests for infections done on all donated blood can be affected by fatty materials — lipids — that appear in your blood for several hours after eating fatty foods. When this occurs and required testing cannot be performed, the blood may need to be discarded.

During the Donation

Wear clothing with sleeves that can be raised above the elbow
Show the staff any "good veins" that have been used successfully in the past to draw blood
Relax
Take the time to enjoy a snack and a drink in the refreshments area immediately after donating

After Donation

Rehydrate by drinking plenty of fluids over the next 24-48 hours
Avoid strenuous physical activity or heavy lifting for about five hours after donation
If you feel light headed, lie down, preferably with feet elevated, until the feeling passes
In rare cases when bleeding occurs after removing the bandage, apply pressure to the site and raise your arm for 3-5 minutes; if bleeding or bruising occurs under the skin, apply a cold pack to the area periodically during the first 24 hours

JWT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby JWT » November 15th, 2006, 10:35 am

i am willing but have to find out my blood type

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 15th, 2006, 11:45 am

I thinkin about goin Mt Hope nex week to give (already a registered donor)
anybobdy wah link up????

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » November 15th, 2006, 12:18 pm

JWT wrote:i am willing but have to find out my blood type

doesn't matter if you don't know

they test it everytime you give...

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » November 15th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Ok so now we have MG Man confirming that Mount Hope is also an available site where you can go, and he is willing to take along anyone who is interested.

MG Man, what are your experiences at Mount Hope re total time taken, and crowds etc.?

So we are confirming 3 TriniTuner donors already.

If you feel that you cannot do this, even out of your own peculiar fear, please try to get someone else involved.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 15th, 2006, 1:31 pm

last time I went Mt Hope, it took about 3 hours. When I used to give blood in POS, they used to fast track ppl who came to give blood jus for so, as opposed to ppl who doin it cuz is for somebody specific...dunno if the system is the same now.....I'll call FOTBA and inquire

sinners-bliss
Street 2NR

Postby sinners-bliss » November 15th, 2006, 1:48 pm

i'm interested but i'm scared like hell :oops:

needles scare me ever since they had to do an ivp on me and i saw something like a turkey baster inserted in my arm i should of never turned my face :oops:

Lei
Riding on 13's

Postby Lei » November 15th, 2006, 4:54 pm

i can give, been awhile since i last donated.

the hardest part is sitting still while they take the blood...so somebody have to be there talking to me to keep me from being bored.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 15th, 2006, 5:55 pm

the blood donor needle is a lot smaller than that one,
the one you saw is actually a sleeve which they use to put in other intravenous needles

sinners-bliss wrote:i'm interested but i'm scared like hell :oops:

needles scare me ever since they had to do an ivp on me and i saw something like a turkey baster inserted in my arm i should of never turned my face :oops:

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » November 15th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Sinners-bliss, and Lei, as I said I am prepared to accompany anyone who is keen to go. And as I tell everyone, the original stick with the needle feels like a good pinch, and then even that little pain goes away.

As a Voluntary Donor, you are fast-tracked and not made to wait like others who are just coming to give because they have to give for someone in need at that time.

And I have also received a very positive PM from another couple who are keen to join up.

Let’s not get complacent here friends.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » November 15th, 2006, 11:43 pm

Lei,
i willing to hold yuh hand :lol:. as long as yuh promise to not mark me again.

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » November 16th, 2006, 9:19 am

Wagonrunner, serious responses boy, so come put your hand where your eyes are.

All these healthy-looking people getting exposed or what?

Seriously how about rounding up a CARS team and show how it is done.

Going to find out about the Mobile Unit.

sinners-bliss
Street 2NR

Postby sinners-bliss » November 16th, 2006, 12:30 pm

AutoSport wrote:Sinners-bliss, and Lei, as I said I am prepared to accompany anyone who is keen to go. And as I tell everyone, the original stick with the needle feels like a good pinch, and then even that little pain goes away.

As a Voluntary Donor, you are fast-tracked and not made to wait like others who are just coming to give because they have to give for someone in need at that time.

And I have also received a very positive PM from another couple who are keen to join up.

Let’s not get complacent here friends.

ok no probs you just tell me when and where ok ?

pugboy even tho i knew it was a smaller needle underneath I look freaking scary ok lol

back to the topic

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » November 16th, 2006, 11:19 pm

So at the end of this first week, we have three confirmed Voluntary Donors.

Sinners-bliss, Lei and a husband and wife team who are committed, Yorkshirelass and husband will find a convenient time.

And I will now start to build our private register with Name, Contact no., Blood type.
Sinners-bliss…. You let me know when it is convenient and we will make the run. Depending on where you are coming from, earlier in the morning may be better, but not a Monday when they seem to be busy. Let me know

Mini is doing some checking on a location at the Ato Boldon Stadium as a central location to get the Mobile Unit to go to, but that will only work if there are maybe 8 or 10
Volunteers.

But we still want all of those regular Tuners to get on Board.

But wait NO Moderator as yet! (Mini was in before so doh count him)
What about leading by example? I do not wish to believe that none of them can get pass the start line.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » November 17th, 2006, 12:47 am

i'm in, preferably with the moblie uint. if lei, dont want to hole my hand................sigh, ah well. i'll sitll do it.

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » November 17th, 2006, 6:46 am

AutoSport wrote:
Mini is doing some checking on a location at the Ato Boldon Stadium as a central location to get the Mobile Unit to go to, but that will only work if there are maybe 8 or 10
Volunteers.

:shock:

nah man yuh thinking small

How many motoring bodies are there?

ASPL, TTRC, TTASA, TTKA, Off Road, Moto Cross, CARS, TTPBA

man if 5 people from each club qualifies to donate... that's 40 people right there!

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 17th, 2006, 7:24 am

Guys, I lookin to go Mt Hope monday around 10:00am

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 20th, 2006, 1:34 pm

where was everybody? :? :? :? :?
talkers?

MarioR

Postby MarioR » December 6th, 2006, 3:17 pm

New to the list, but I'm already a Donor. I think it's a good idea to be proactive.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » December 7th, 2006, 12:10 am

^^^^too many jokers on this site dude :?

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » December 7th, 2006, 9:02 am

^^^ Can't agree with you more there MG man.

But the bigger joke is when they want blood ugently, they come out screaming.

Glad to know that the few serious ones are genuinely committed.

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » December 12th, 2006, 9:14 am

I am screaming now, we need 2 donors and no one in the immediate family can donate and a close relative needs to undergo surgery on Thursday....

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”