TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Trinituner People: My CNG Experience

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » June 27th, 2009, 12:43 pm

I will contact Automotive Components and get a price of all set up and installation.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » June 27th, 2009, 1:22 pm

my kit was installed a long time ago, previous car. so that would be 6+ years.
back then was $6500 at ACL.

mossman

Postby mossman » June 29th, 2009, 7:49 am

thats a good price compared to how much i heard it is now.. i heard 10k+

slimshiney
Sweet on this forum

Postby slimshiney » June 30th, 2009, 9:56 am

Year- 1986-626 mazda bought
CNG kit insalled around the same time.....

Year -2000 - engine opened....the block was smooth and glossy like a chile bottom........pistons was shiny like dog stones in d moonlite... After 14 years and mileage >>>>500,000 the car was sold with same engine...So anyone..Did the CNG have anything to do with this..if yes...cld anyone explain the techs of why.....?

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » June 30th, 2009, 10:13 am

slimshiney,
CNG does not produce the carbon byproduct of gasoline combustion.
It takes in no air, so no further pollutants are added to the system, therefore less contaminants to form sludge in the engine, etc.

generally cleaner combustion.

slimshiney
Sweet on this forum

Postby slimshiney » June 30th, 2009, 10:30 am

tanx dere^^^...never rlly dug in it...twas my pops car.....

mossman

Postby mossman » June 30th, 2009, 12:23 pm

pistons was shiny like dog stones in d moonlite...

:shock:

slimshiney
Sweet on this forum

Postby slimshiney » June 30th, 2009, 2:25 pm

:lol: :lol:

Quicksilver
Riding on 17's

Postby Quicksilver » July 1st, 2009, 12:20 am

Anil_Sooknanan wrote:we tuned and repair the CNG for our self and boy it does wok. it starts same speed as the gas. there are a few tricks to it. i rewired it to switch over without the car cutting off using a 5 pin relay, installed a lock off valve when fueling up. so when you see me up on the highway doing it and you feel i racing yuh :roll: with d cold breeze is only $16 i'll be putting :lol:

yup, tuning and servicing is fairly simple so the DIY'er doesn't necessarily have to tune at ACL... I have it in an A32 Cefiro with a VQ20DE and that thing runs like a beyotch... pulls hard, sweet accel for a big car and decent topend, it will outrun most smaller cars with my A/C on while on CNG :lol: ...
ACL's prepaid card system is definitely a plus, because you can fill up 24/7 (in Omeara atleast) without the hassel of waiting in line, like waiting for regular gas at a normal gas station.
For me there are no downsides to CNG, because Im not affected by the regular concerns.
Power loss is barely noticeable, plus it can be regained at an point in time with the flick of a switch, and loss of trunk space is no big deal because I hardly ever use it.

mossman

Postby mossman » July 1st, 2009, 8:52 am

cost to convert anybody?? :fadein:

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » July 1st, 2009, 9:18 am

The cost for kit (including installation) is 9, 500 at ACL. Its the Landi Renzo kit from Italy.

I am not that impressed by ACL as i find that they can offer more options regarding kits. There are some improved kits that are available on the market that allows for sequential injection and increased performance and economy and those are not available locally as yet.

Quicksilver
Riding on 17's

Postby Quicksilver » July 1st, 2009, 9:34 am

^^^ agreed as far as the improved kit goes, but I dont think it will be wise for them to offer multiple kits simultaneously... unless they are going to have specially trained technicians for the different kits, because they still need to master the Landi Renzo..., and as much as I enjoy the benifits and performance of the system, at that initial cost I personally would not install the kit... thats why I bought a vehicle already equipt with it, and loving it every day :D

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » July 1st, 2009, 9:48 am

Yes, mine came already converted also.

A partner tell me sometimes he does spend $80 dollars a day in gas. That is around how much i does spend a month.

I expect that the CNG kits will come cheaper soon.

Availability of the CNG will become better as they equiping more stations to handle the CNG.

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » July 3rd, 2009, 3:47 pm

CNG users, tell me something.

When filling up, how do you know when you should stop.

The machine does shut off automatically at some points, but then it resume, and then cut off again

Is it unsafe to 'overfill' the tank?????

I usually fill up at the Beetham station which gives a % number of how filled the tank is. I usually stop it at 87% ($18 ), but the times that i have gone past that, i get a 'help' sign beeping on the meter as if there is some problem.
Last edited by TrinbagoMan on July 3rd, 2009, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » July 3rd, 2009, 4:15 pm

TrinbagoMan,
it works via pressure.
when the pressure at the pump regulator equals the pressure in your tank. it's considered full.
i don't think it's possible for your system to exceed the pumps pressure.
back then a typical full (70l tank), was around $15, with a high / good pressure being just over $17.00, and a low pressure full being anywhere from $11-13.

i used to ask the person at the pump what size tank they have, watch how much $$$ it cost to full, and get an idea of the full i'd be getting.

mind you this was back in the earlier days of CNG, with plenty teething problems.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » July 16th, 2009, 9:53 am

but how much people are actually using CNG

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » July 16th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Anyone have an experience with CNG V6 car? I thinking of converting a v6 to CNG.

Quicksilver
Riding on 17's

Postby Quicksilver » July 21st, 2009, 3:59 pm

yup.. my CNG Cefiro is a V6, and it runs sweet... with a bigger engine power loss should be less noticeable..

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » July 21st, 2009, 5:07 pm

Sounds good.

How is the CNG efficiency with the Cefiro.? Approx how many miles u get on a full tank?

Quicksilver
Riding on 17's

Postby Quicksilver » July 21st, 2009, 9:09 pm

^^^^ I havent checked consumption in a while, but if I remember correctly I was getting around 170km from full to empty.... I have 2 45L tanks. My A/C never comes off tho.

Its definitely more economical than diesel....without the noise, smell, vibration and pollution, plus its a helluva lot faster.

A couple weeks ago we made a run from Arima to Guyaguare with the Cefiro and a Diesel Spacewagon.... It was basically a round trip with a couple offroute runs and stops inbetween.... That run costed $13 CNG and $20 Diesel.... The Diesel vehicle used A/C for about 25% of the run, while like I said the A/C never came off in the Cefiro... nor did I bother to switch off the cefiro @ the stops.

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » September 9th, 2009, 7:31 pm

nice,

When you get a chance post some pics of your trunk nah. I wanna see what it looks like. i will do the same soon too.

trinilife
Street 2NR

Postby trinilife » October 19th, 2009, 11:30 pm

Fellars I have been a cng user for 15 years,At automotive components to install a new kit can cost up to ten thousand dollars,now it can vary depending on the type of car you own,now I am no expert so i am just telling you guys about how cng works for me,and what little i have heard .Firstly cng is safer than gas,when it comes to an accident because of the fact that the tank is thick enough to withstand a bullet,and yes the thank is heavy,depending on the size of thank you use,there are thanks of different sizes,eg.... it starts at 36liters53 56 65 70 and goes up to 100 liters as far as I know .Now about the weight the tanks can be as heavy as 150 lbs for the big thank filled,empty might be about ten pounds lighter [this is not fact just average] this is for the steel tanks.Now there are fibreglass tanks which are very light and strong also because they are combined with a special type of lightweight metal ,these vary in sizes also,and they are much more expensive. The disadvantage of these thanks is that the expire faster than the steel tanks, average lifespan 10 to 15 years.Yes you loose some power but under normal driving conditions you wont have a clue that the vehicle is working on cng.The other thing, people who donot understand cng simply badtalk it.If you dont know about it then it cant be good.Remember when fuelinjection cars now came into this country?.Now very few people want a carb vehicle.Now i really dont care for much trunk space so i installed two tanks in my car ,a 101 corolla ,its a 70 and a 36 litre,since a 100 litre will be two big for my trunk.I live in san juan and these two tanks take about on average 23 to 26 dollars to fill depending on the amount of pressure at the gas station pump. With this gas i leave home go to manzan,through rio,and come through princess town down the highway and back home with ac and then will have to refill.That people is almost 289kilos,for that price,steal of a deal for me.Now if you speed your gas milage drops,to around 235kilos.Iam talking of speeds above 110kms.Without ac I can get almost 310 kms. My engine is a 4afe so its just under 1600 hp and i have extractors.About the restriction of air ,yes you have to do it to get the correct air to gas mixture.And guys there is an air flow restrictor that opens when you flick to gas it reopens the airway to get yournormal air flow.And close when you switch to cng.Its like a butterflyshaft in your air intake hose,to bad for the inventors,hahahh,but it was a good idea,.Now i have heard that cng can be used on turbo charged cars but you have to buy special unit to manipulate the operation,i just cant remember the name of the part now.Oh and bythe way i have a pickup with a vvl engine and i run cng,under normal driving i run as fast as some small engine cars that run on gas.Whenever they give me trouble i flick to gas and go my way.So i wil advise to go with cng if you want to save money, if you on speed dont waste your time.Oh, and yes cng does work better on stick shift vehicles,simply because you can run your gears longer. IF ther are any errors ,excuse me since i had a very hard day at work and i am very tired.Hope this helps.One more thing the guy whose car blewup at chag main rd,the idiot welded two half tanks together,these thanks are moulded.

Quicksilver
Riding on 17's

Postby Quicksilver » October 20th, 2009, 7:22 pm

Some good info there man...

trinilife wrote: And guys there is an air flow restrictor that opens when you flick to gas it reopens the airway to get yournormal air flow.And close when you switch to cng.Its like a butterflyshaft in your air intake hose

Care to elaborate on this... are you getting it locally ?

as for turbo heres something interesting... [url=http://www.ngvglobal.com/omvs-cng-powered-mitsubishi-evo-holds-2nd-on-oem-table-in-austrian-rally-0608]CNG Rally Evo 9
[/url]

Sanctifier
punchin NOS

Postby Sanctifier » October 21st, 2009, 10:05 am

Nissan910 wrote:Easy switch between gasoline and CNG
Much cleaner gas, with a higher octane rating (130),

Restriction of about 60% of airtake which is necessary for the CNG kit to work properly...

cacasplat3 wrote:...is CNG compatible with boost?
I'd like to know too.
TrinbagoMan wrote:...more options regarding kits. There are some improved kits that are available on the market that allows for sequential injection and increased performance and economy...
Please post links to these improved kits...or at least post the Names! Thanks.

Sanctifier wrote:Today, 2nrs use Water/Methanol Injection kits to INCREASE power output.
Is a 40:60 Water/Methanol mix (or 50:50 ratio, or whatever...) as high as 130 octane?

Can 130 octane CNG be used as an ADDITIVE as well?
Not CNG or Gas... but CNG + Gas :!:
If so, CNG + Premium Pump-gas may be a better, CHEAPER alternative to Water/Methanol + gas!
With the way the Evo engine guzzles gas... every little thing will help. :roll:

Can someone comment please?

My $0.02¢

triniringo
3NE 2NR for life

Postby triniringo » October 26th, 2009, 12:22 pm

just called ACL ,price drop to $8260.87 .I remember the price was $9500.00 when i called in nov'08.
In the 2009 budget gov't indicated it would remove the duties and vat from these cng kits,however this drop in price is represents a decrease of approx 14%.

In 2010 budget the gov't also indicated its intention to further subsidised the cost of this kit..still waiting ....

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby TrinbagoMan » April 29th, 2010, 4:38 pm

The gov't still has not made any big move to increase CNG availability. They need more stations in the north west.

These days i getting 145 (mostly highway) miles with one fill up of CNG, approx 17 dollars.

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » April 29th, 2010, 4:52 pm

TrinbagoMan
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Trinituner People: My CNG Experience

Postby TrinbagoMan » June 16th, 2011, 8:02 pm

New CNG STATION at MEdord Gas Station. Several more in the pipeline.

Red Dawg
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Red Dawg » June 18th, 2011, 6:30 pm

I realise that there are alot of misconceptions here about CNG.
I used to be the Senior CNG Installer at ACL.
Anybody who has serious technical questions about CNG, please feel free to ask.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 18th, 2011, 10:41 pm

how many CNG operators exist in the country and I only know 1 or 2

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”