Postby ado15mk3 » March 21st, 2010, 8:28 pm

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » March 21st, 2010, 11:06 pm

thanks guys :)

mafia lancer
Ricer

Postby mafia lancer » March 22nd, 2010, 11:57 am

I also had the opportunity to test a few of these devices.
I dont have a listing of the areas but I know the service is only currently available in some areas of Port of Spain, doesnt work in Barataria, and works great for me home at Preysal! I cant speak for other areas...
As they said before, speeds are constant which is great, I teted the 2 mb box which gave constant dl speeds of 2 mb and uploads i think was at least 1 mb i think. I also tested an unrestricted box which went up to 10 mb which also gave constant said speed which was impressive. Not too sure what other package options will be available or if its just gonna be 1 mb and 2 mb...
The box looks just like a regular wireless router and its plug and play. Built in wifi is also available once you turn on the switch, 4 ethernet ports are also built in.
So neither blink nor flow in my area yet :( so this gives us people some hope!

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » March 22nd, 2010, 4:52 pm

cool

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » March 22nd, 2010, 6:26 pm

My gf has a test unit and I must say when it works it works good....much better than the EVDO stick she has, BUT!!!

In most areas the coverage sucks balls....I live a mere 1km from a cell tower and when you're next to it, its amazing, but when ur at my home (1km from cell tower, which you can see from the porch), EVDO works better!

I can't believe TSTT wasted millions on this as its really not that much of an upgrade over EVDO.

I forsee a lot of people not liking it.

Don't even know why TSTT bothered to do this.....no one really wanted this, it's f*cking 3G the nation is begging for!

Imagine loading a page on my Ipone taking 2 to 5mins....I've seen my cousin's Iphone loading up the same site in 10secs or less in FL on AT&T's much bad mouthed 'slow' 3G network.

F*CKING 2G EDGE!!! is the best we can do in Trini??? eh?

And I read Digicel want to do WiMAX too? Are these companies stupid or are we trini's just dumb and don't know what we're missing out?

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » March 22nd, 2010, 6:49 pm

Smokey, i cant help but agree wrt to the 3G part but you forget who has the paper and who running things.

BTW u saw the sprint 4G commercial?

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » March 22nd, 2010, 6:53 pm

corolla_2nr, nope. Post it up.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » March 23rd, 2010, 10:51 am

They using this as the option for people who applied for Blink and may never get the Blink service.

Wht areas its available?

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » March 23rd, 2010, 2:52 pm

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TwV4XJJAAas&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="295" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » March 24th, 2010, 6:57 am

Smokey wrote:My gf has a test unit and I must say when it works it works good....much better than the EVDO stick she has, BUT!!!

In most areas the coverage sucks balls....I live a mere 1km from a cell tower and when you're next to it, its amazing, but when ur at my home (1km from cell tower, which you can see from the porch), EVDO works better!

I can't believe TSTT wasted millions on this as its really not that much of an upgrade over EVDO.

Don't even know why TSTT bothered to do this.....no one really wanted this, it's f*cking 3G the nation is begging for!

Imagine loading a page on my Ipone taking 2 to 5mins....I've seen my cousin's Iphone loading up the same site in 10secs or less in FL on AT&T's much bad mouthed 'slow' 3G network.

And I read Digicel want to do WiMAX too? Are these companies stupid or are we trini's just dumb and don't know what we're missing out?

Till we have 3G here, you could probably try this when it comes out-

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpTCS3g-cBY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpTCS3g-cBY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="385"></embed></object>

mafia lancer
Ricer

Postby mafia lancer » March 25th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Just as Jem said..
A rep told me its not gonna be 'officially' released, rather just a replacement for users who cant get blink so they will be calling you to come pick one up once you previously registered for blink.
I actually got my own today, cant wait to go home and test it!
Check this link out.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/p ... treeId=742

The model above is the one they giving the residential users, the below link are the ones for corporate which I had on demo. Yeh the residential one looking like some kinda tech lamp or something..

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/p ... treeId=742

The corporate model tstt have is actually BM636 but I was only seeing te BM635.
At least it gives you an idea of how the device looks.

drunkenscorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby drunkenscorpion » March 25th, 2010, 4:28 pm

I don't have Blink, or Flow in my area.....actually signed up for Greendot last week as the only resort that I have. Ah wonder if this will work by me.....goin an make a call

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » March 25th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Can this work in any area, or they have to do line work or whtever to bring it to an area?
Because tht might mean waiting a long time again as people have been doing for Blink.

Wht area you in mafia_lancer?

drunkenscorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby drunkenscorpion » March 25th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Just called, no you don't need a lan line for this service. As stated, its not launched as yet, but you can go in and sign up for it.

It seems to be practical, but in my area, bmobile reception is not even good, so how does that augre for my connection speed. Greendot is charging $175 for a 256 connection which is highway robbery compared to this wi-max, and GD has not even done its installation as yet, so I dont even know if that will work.

I am guessing its a good option for users like myself who don't have any other means.

mafia lancer
Ricer

Postby mafia lancer » March 25th, 2010, 5:11 pm

I am @ Preysal.

mafia lancer
Ricer

Postby mafia lancer » March 25th, 2010, 5:14 pm

This new box is not as good as the corporate one I tested in terms of functionality.
Only has 1 ethernet port compared to 4 :(
Does not have built in WiFi capability :( :(
But the speed still sweet!
Now I just need to convince them to give me one of the BM636 models instead :!:

The price for the 2mb is $190. monthly with the 1 yr contract !

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » March 25th, 2010, 6:14 pm

drunkenscorpion wrote:Just called, no you don't need a lan line for this service. As stated, its not launched as yet, but you can go in and sign up for it.

It seems to be practical, but in my area, bmobile reception is not even good, so how does that augre for my connection speed. Greendot is charging $175 for a 256 connection which is highway robbery compared to this wi-max, and GD has not even done its installation as yet, so I dont even know if that will work.

I am guessing its a good option for users like myself who don't have any other means.

Bmobile signal not good by you already? Fat chance you get anything from WiMAX. then.

drunkenscorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby drunkenscorpion » March 25th, 2010, 7:13 pm

figured as much, but I will wait till it launches to hear its review

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » March 25th, 2010, 9:09 pm

mafia lancer wrote:This new box is not as good as the corporate one I tested in terms of functionality.
Only has 1 ethernet port compared to 4 :(
Does not have built in WiFi capability :( :(
But the speed still sweet!
Now I just need to convince them to give me one of the BM636 models instead :!:

The price for the 2mb is $190. monthly with the 1 yr contract !

u do realize that's cheaper than FLOW 2mbit....
:shock: :shock: :shock:

ado15mk3
Trinituner Peong

Postby ado15mk3 » March 25th, 2010, 9:22 pm

mafia lancer wrote:http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/p ... treeId=742

The model above is the one they giving the residential users

This is the one that we have. works really good.
Love the fact that i dont need an external antenna/dish. Now i just need one of these for Directv :lol:
For ppl without land lines (flow or TSTT) this is the best option.
Trust me, canceled cariblink 6 months ago and running greendot for about 3 months.
I dont like TSTT anymore than the rest of us but they win in the wireless internet department (for now).
Price for the 1mb that i have is half that of the greendot's 256.
Cariblink just fail all over!!!

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » March 26th, 2010, 7:57 am

Smokey wrote:My gf has a test unit and I must say when it works it works good....much better than the EVDO stick she has, BUT!!!

Yea Digicel's bringing it out very soon. They too will have their fixed modem phase, then use it with phones.

Wi-Max provides quad services such as phone, video, voice, data and cable TV. Wi-Max provides more quality and speed and the data transfer rate can be up to 70 Mbps. The 802.16d standard supports directional antenna base equipment i.e. user has to have a static connection and it does not support the roaming users. The 802.16e standard supports the small chips embedded in the motherboard. It is comparatively a cheap solution because no extra equipment would be required to make a Wi-Max connection.

WiMax is considered 4G afaik. What tstt have there is capped it seems.
And Duane told us this over a year ago, that both carriers are'nt bothering with 3G because they reached too late. They both planned to go straight to 4G. BTW, that evdo dongle for blink on the go isn't 3G? But it's cdma, so tstt can't share the wealth with the phones on that one. It sucks anyway.

Digicel should have the WiMax in it's test phase in less than a month they said. That will live for about a year, then go over to mobiles. I'm guessing TSTT will do the same?

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » March 26th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Thing is i dont understand, why they didnt go LTE. Only Sprint AFAIK is doing 4G in the US the rest are going towards LTE. Correct me if im wrong.

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » March 26th, 2010, 6:36 pm

corolla_2nr wrote:Thing is i dont understand, why they didnt go LTE. Only Sprint AFAIK is doing 4G in the US the rest are going towards LTE. Correct me if im wrong.

They're planning to go 4G yes, but 4G won't be widely available till 2013 at best, and even then devices are going to be expensive.

It makes FARRRRR more sense for TSTT & Digicel to go 3G! TSTT's WiMAX speeds are comparable to current 3.75 (HSPA+) speeds or even slower.

WiMAX has ONE mobile WiMAX phone.
3G has hundreds with many being very cheap.

Tell me, if TSTT had had launched 3G instead of WiMAX, their customers (i'm barely one) would be much much happier!

Imagine we can finally use our Iphones, HTCs etc as they were meant to be.

Instead, we're going to have to wait 4 years before LTE reach trini (unless TSTT and Digicel decide to wait for 5G) before we have fast mobile internet on our phones.

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » March 27th, 2010, 6:07 am

WiMax is considered 4G afaik. What tstt have there is capped it seems.
And Duane told us this over a year ago, that both carriers are'nt bothering with 3G because they reached too late. They both planned to go straight to 4G. BTW, that evdo dongle for blink on the go isn't 3G? But it's cdma, so tstt can't share the wealth with the phones on that one. It sucks anyway.

Digicel should have the WiMax in it's test phase in less than a month they said. That will live for about a year, then go over to mobiles. I'm guessing TSTT will do the same?

How are you so sure TSTT using going to 3G? Nortel has collapsed and I'm sure they're looking for a new vendor, LTE is still expensive to deploy with limited CPEs, LTE may become widespread around 2013. I wouldn't be shocked it TSTT introduced 3G voice and data services. Most 3G equipment can be modified for LTE, only the CPEs maybe different.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » March 27th, 2010, 7:02 am

$149 for 1MB
$220 for 2MB

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » March 30th, 2010, 8:31 am

I got an email from TSTT to contact TSTT Marketing abt this WiMAX at a 625# :?

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » March 30th, 2010, 10:43 am

launched yesterday I believe.....will definitely pick one up soon.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 30th, 2010, 2:37 pm

Smokey wrote:launched yesterday I believe.....will definitely pick one up soon.

any website link?

hishighness

Postby hishighness » March 31st, 2010, 11:22 am

This thing sucks with service. My blink on the go works but WiMAX don't. You need to be very close to the cell tower.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”