Forums

Car Polishing 101

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Re: Car Polishing 101

Postby Alpha_2nr » August 14th, 2010, 8:00 pm

^^Yessir you can layer your wax for additional protection.....well, most of the more expensive waxes say they can.

Excellent choice of products there man. 8-)

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » August 15th, 2010, 7:03 am

Just bought an 08 Tiida 8 mos ago & does not look anywhere like that. Good job.

AYE_SOLDIER
Shifting into 6th

Postby AYE_SOLDIER » August 15th, 2010, 9:40 am

thanks chemical
alpha products was sugeested by tintman
an i will definately try that layers application out :cool:

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » August 15th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Next time you polish layer the AutoGlym twice and pm me for your next step...

AYE_SOLDIER
Shifting into 6th

Postby AYE_SOLDIER » August 16th, 2010, 12:16 pm

pm sent :wink:

cinco
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby cinco » August 25th, 2010, 8:18 am

hoss i does real gape yuh car every time i pass it i stalking it. it lookin real good had me and d woman breakin we neck to watch it the other day
it lookin real good does make me miss mine every time i see it
btw pics dont do it justice at all

AYE_SOLDIER
Shifting into 6th

Postby AYE_SOLDIER » August 25th, 2010, 3:40 pm

thanks dude
i'm putting up for sale just now
so u can buy back one :wink:

latest pics....sorry no day shots just yet alpha

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » August 26th, 2010, 6:23 am

^^No scene. What kinda cam i being used there? MD's pics ent?

AYE_SOLDIER
Shifting into 6th

Postby AYE_SOLDIER » August 26th, 2010, 10:04 am

ask MD
i have no clue

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » August 26th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Did you tried my suggestions soldier ??

AYE_SOLDIER
Shifting into 6th

Postby AYE_SOLDIER » August 27th, 2010, 8:29 am

Imma try it this weekend
once i dont have to work *crosses fingers*

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 5th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » November 7th, 2010, 5:53 pm

^^Looks great, I'm gunna polish my car this Saturday, however the Autoglym instructions states 'Apply polish to cloth & use a light circular motion, finishing in straight lines to give even coverage '

If i'm using the orbital polisher how do I achieve this as the polish dries very quickly ?

Would have loved to remove the swirl marks professionally but as Xmas is around the corner :? it can't happen @ this moment. Will settle for just a polish to protect the clear coat & add some shine :|

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » November 7th, 2010, 9:19 pm

what type of orbital polisher u using is it a random orbital polisher or just a normal orbital polisher like the ones used to buff cars??? and what type of pad u using with the machine ?

What type of car and what is the color ???

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » November 8th, 2010, 6:57 am

Um....the polisher is from P/smart (Wax Master) :lol: I believe its orbital. The car is a Tiida & the color is amethyst gray. Lots of swirl marks (came from Japan like that :| ). I'm going to use the Autoglym SR polish. The pad is those $40.00 bucks cotton from Laughlin.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » November 8th, 2010, 11:30 am

You can use the orbital machine but use very little product.

If i was doing the job i would just do it by hand. If you use the machine u will still have to use your hand in certain areas where the machine would not be able to go.

Since it’s a Tida you should be finished in no time..

Tip:
1. Follow the recommended directions on the back of the bottle
2. Use very little product
2. Apply a second coat of Super Resin.

Hope this helps if you need any more assistance please feel free to contact me

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » November 8th, 2010, 11:48 am

^^Thanks alot Karim for the advice....I see your familar with the Autoglym. Indeed one needs to use very little but that hand thing :shock: No way Hosay. I'll do as much as possible with the machine (hood, roof & middle of the door sections) & the rest by hand including hatch. I don't think I have the energy to do all by hand.

Q. why a second coat application ?

Rgds.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » November 8th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Chemical wrote:^^Thanks alot Karim for the advice....I see your familar with the Autoglym. Indeed one needs to use very little but that hand thing :shock: No way Hosay. I'll do as much as possible with the machine (hood, roof & middle of the door sections) & the rest by hand including hatch. I don't think I have the energy to do all by hand.

Q. why a second coat application ?

Rgds.

You are welcome Chemical-

The reason for the second is really to make sure to fill in where u missed out on the first coat

Auto Glym is a really nice all in one product its really easy to use once u follow the directions given...

I would also recommend a nice paint sealant to "lock in" that shine and for further paint protection

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » November 8th, 2010, 7:14 pm

^^Have you ever used Liquis Glass as a sealant ? Car Boutique has em for sale.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » November 8th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Liquid glass is a very good sealant,, but i would recommend use like with like ,,, if u are using Autoglym product then use the auto glym line ,,,, or if u using Liquid Glass products use the Liquid Glass line...etc

Manufacturers make their products to work as a SYSTEM which is made to work with each other. If you are unaware of how the product work, mixing MAY be counter productive and MAY not yield the optimum performance.

From my experience its best to use the system and yield optimum results... Others may have different opinions but its what works the best for you...

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 9th, 2010, 6:26 am

Autoglym EGP is a nice sealant. Easy on...somewhat easy off. Cure time is a little long though (0.5 to 1 hr). Used some over the weekend on pre-cleansed paintwork (no SRP as a base though).

Chemical, I'd perhaps do these two AG SRPolish applications, and then do a couple more a few weeks later to ensure the paint is in better shape before finally topping with a FULL sealant for longer durability.

Notice I said FULL sealant, since AG SRPolish already has mild sealants mixed in.

My 2c.

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » November 9th, 2010, 6:43 am

^^Points taken & noted Karim / Alpha.

Q. Can I use Meguiars swirl mark remover by hand ? I'm getting it @ Automotive Art In El Secorro.

If I can, then I'll probably go with the swirl remover first, then use the AG SRP OR DO I NEED TO USE A CLEANER WAX FIRST ?

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Parvin » November 9th, 2010, 8:40 am

Would like to get some recommendations please guys. I'm planning on giving my car a little polish soon and I'm using the Mothers line of products. So far I have the ;

* California Gold® Clay Bar System
* California Gold® Pure Carnauba Wax–Step 3
* Back-to-Black®

I was planning on using the AutoGlym polish before applying the wax but I want to do like Karim said and use 'like with like'. What product would you recommend along with anything else i would need to complete the job properly? I intend to put a lot of elbow grease into the job.

A lot of fine visible swirl marks, paint is kinda dull as well.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 9th, 2010, 11:10 am

If I can, then I'll probably go with the swirl remover first, then use the AG SRP OR DO I NEED TO USE A CLEANER WAX FIRST ?

I'm actually trying to find this out myself right now. I'll have to email AG about their cleaner "HD Cleanse".

But from what I've picked up thus far, SRPolish also acts as a mild cleaner. Supposedly, "HD Cleanse" is similar to SRPolish, but without some of the polishing agents in it (obviously).

And no, I've never seen it sold in Trinidad. Might have to buy online.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » November 9th, 2010, 11:24 am

Parvin wrote:Would like to get some recommendations please guys. I'm planning on giving my car a little polish soon and I'm using the Mothers line of products. So far I have the ;

* Back-to-Black®

I was planning on using the AutoGlym polish before applying the wax but I want to do like Karim said and use 'like with like'. What product would you recommend along with anything else i would need to complete the job properly? I intend to put a lot of elbow grease into the job.

The California Gold is a good system. You would not need any other product if you are using the California Gold Step 1, 2 and 3. If you don’t have the step 1 and 2. I would recommend you get it.

The most important steps in your quest for excellence are claying and step 1. This will assist in removing bonded contaminants and reducing swirls and bring back life to the paint. (Once done properly)

Put the most amount of effort in those two steps. It will be time consuming thus the reason why car owners opt to carry the car to a professional as they would have to tools,products and experience in getting the job done correctly.

If you choose to DIY use the following tips:
Tip-
1- Do one panel at a time before you move on to the next.
2- Break up the job into smaller pieces.

If you or anyone need any further information and assistance feel free to contact me - 784-9290

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » November 9th, 2010, 11:33 am

^^Alpha....just called Car Plus 657-9020, however they don't have the cleanser. They had the AG high defination wax (out of stock)for guess how much...$695.00 :shocked!: :shocked!: :shocked!:

What is this, some sortta magic in a can?

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 9th, 2010, 11:40 am

^^Yep it's that expensive, but it's a "boutique" wax...very high end stuff.

The thing is, that one "pot" of the wax will last you like, forever, since you need to use so little on an application....plus, each application lasts a long time as well.

Honestly, most waxes (Meguiars etc) will work fine....but if you really want to use an AG sealant, IMHO, stick with the Extra Gloss Protection....it's cheaper and just as resilient. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY though.

Notice that a wax is different from a polish.

Karim Khan
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Karim Khan » November 9th, 2010, 11:43 am

Alpha_2nr wrote:

I'm actually trying to find this out myself right now. I'll have to email AG about their cleaner "HD Cleanse".

But from what I've picked up thus far, SRPolish also acts as a mild cleaner. Supposedly, "HD Cleanse" is similar to SRPolish, but without some of the polishing agents in it (obviously).

And no, I've never seen it sold in Trinidad. Might have to buy online.

I would recommend using the Auto Glym Super Resin first. If it does not meet your needs, I would then recommend going with the Auto Glym Paint Renovator.

The Super Resin IS an all in one product, Cleaner, Polish and Sealant.

i just came off the phone with Auto Glym and they said the HD Cleanser is just as the word says. Its a Cleaner. It is designed as a two step system. The HD Cleanser and HD Wax.

The HD Cleanser will be available in TnT in January 2011

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Parvin » November 9th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Karim Khan wrote:
Parvin wrote:Would like to get some recommendations please guys. I'm planning on giving my car a little polish soon and I'm using the Mothers line of products. So far I have the ;

* Back-to-Black®

The California Gold is a good system. You would not need any other product if you are using the California Gold Step 1, 2 and 3. If you don’t have the step 1 and 2. I would recommend you get it.

The most important steps in your quest for excellence are claying and step 1. This will assist in removing bonded contaminants and reducing swirls and bring back life to the paint. (Once done properly)

Put the most amount of effort in those two steps. It will be time consuming thus the reason why car owners opt to carry the car to a professional as they would have to tools,products and experience in getting the job done correctly.

If you choose to DIY use the following tips:
Tip-
1- Do one panel at a time before you move on to the next.
2- Break up the job into smaller pieces.

If you or anyone need any further information and assistance feel free to contact me - 784-9290

Thanks man.

I intend to heed those tips. Will try myself to get the satisfaction of doing so, if it doesn't work out properly then I'll pay next time.

Have to get the Steps 1 & 2 in the week

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » November 10th, 2010, 2:47 pm

^^Point to note is if the clay bar falls on the ground you're gonna have to throw it away.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”