TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Advice needed....buying used

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
pipser
Street 2NR

Advice needed....buying used

Postby pipser » May 23rd, 2011, 9:59 am

Hi fellas,

I been reading this thread for sometime now and have been very impressed with the quality of advice and level of knowledge among the group.(Also a little envious of you 4x4 fellas and them off-road runs that you do) I am looking for a pickup to buy, I was gonna buy a Ranger XL 4x2 from the firm but after prices raised again on all the pickups last month I've decided to go "previously owned". My budget I think is reasonable (max $160,000, less is better) but, I need this vehicle to last me a while as I don't plan on buying anything again in a hurry.

I used to drive a frontier at my old job....the 4x2 2.7 non-turbo model with the bench seat in front but, I am looking for something to be a little more of a daily driver and it could be 4x4 or 4x2. My questions really would be what should I look for when checking out a vehicle, what are some of the things that should raise flags or maybe allow me to negotiate the price a bit. Once I find something that I am serious about I"ll be taking a mechanic with me to check it over but, he can't always go with me for every vehicle I'm going to look at and I just want to be a little informed when I go look at something.

Looking forward to any advice you guys can give and sorry if this post ended up a bit long.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Advice needed....buying used

Postby civic minded » May 23rd, 2011, 7:13 pm

buy a Hilux - 4x4, you should get one at around that price - its a great all rounder. Rangers are great too but once maintenance wasn't carried out properly, you will have some problems later on. I personally own two and don't have problems, but i am hearing others having overheating problems.

So safe bet go with the 4x4 Hilux or go with the Frontier

323_wagon_dude
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby 323_wagon_dude » May 23rd, 2011, 11:33 pm

not to hijack your thread... but if you interested in a used hilux 3.0 4x4 let me know...

Might have something around your price. :)

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 24th, 2011, 1:44 am

civic_minded talking sense there....
Hearing some stories about the older WLT engine having cracked head problems at around 150,000km - even if proper maintenance was carried out, and the cooling system was perfectly functional with no episodes of overheating.

For used - Hilux with either the 1KZ engine or the 1KD-FTV (vigo model) or Frontier 3.0L are safer bets. Both platforms are equally tough and durable, and both engines from either brand have made excellent reputations for themselves.

We have a Frontier 3.0L with approx 190,000KM on it now and it never had any major mechanical faults, and it pulling just as strong now as it did when it was brand new.

Ask TeamLoco, any well-taken care of diesel engine will last you many miles (he has a hilux with almost 300,000km - or maybe he passed that by now).

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 24th, 2011, 2:05 am

Or if you want brand-new, and don't mind not having a turbo-charged engine (even normally-aspirated diesel engines have ample amounts of power, esp. low-eng torque) - try to test-drive the 3.2L QD32 Frontier (they still selling them in N&M).

When I enquired late last year, a 4x4 Manual 3.2L Frontier (basic commercial vehicle, with at least AC and radio, but manual windows and fabric or vinyl seats) was going for about $155,000.

The 3.2 QD32 non-turbo engine has proven itself to be very, very tough and hard-working. One of our members has a 3.2 QD32 frontier and it does wukk hard on every run we make.

And don't mind if you find it looking basic, like a work-van, cuz you could always customize it.

example:

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » May 24th, 2011, 8:20 am

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I think based on the rear leg room and ride comfort, the hilux might be the way to go for me.

323_wagon_dude, thanks for the heads up I'll be in touch when I'm about ready (still working out all the finances).

LH, the frontier might be an option if it were just me alone but because whatever I get will also be used as a family vehicle I think the hilux might be better suited to me.

I have read some of the other threads with ppl talking about the WLT engines in the Ford and Mazda, though I haven't come across anyone personally who has had the problem I think it is better to err on the side of caution and not take that chance.

I don't know if any of you can relate to this but I'm a bit "vertically challenged" :D so how are the seat adjustments in the hilux for shorter drivers to be able to see over the bonnet? I guess after I test drive a few I'll know but I was just curious and I really hate sitting on a cushion for better visability.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » May 24th, 2011, 9:33 am

It's kinda weired , I haven't met anyone that that the overheating problem in their ranger. But heard about it.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 24th, 2011, 3:45 pm

IIRC, wagon_r was saying something about his WLT engine starting to show signs of the dreaded head-problem (forgive me if I'm wrong).

He has a 2006-era model Ford Ranger XLT with WLT engine.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » May 24th, 2011, 3:47 pm

pipser - i think the hilux has a height-adjustable seat. the frontier doesnt.

Rutless Tiida
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Rutless Tiida » May 25th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Some things to look at....
some of these might sound weird but I got a reason...
1. let the current driver start the pickup..If he puts it to on and waits for a few seconds before he turns the key, then he understands diesel engines and that they need to warm up before you start...
2. As the engine is started just let the driver rev it and look to see if there is alot of smoke out of the exhaust and its colour.
3. pickups tend to get hit from behind allot so look under the rear bumper and see if it looks like the bumper was replaced...(for example when I looked under mine I saw a nissan part tag so it was replaced i.e. it was in an accident)
3. It is a commercial vehicle so look at things like the door sill and under the front seats to see if those have damage...It will tell you weather the passengers were carefull or not.
4. ask the driver what oil they us...it will tell you alot about the servicing of the vehicle...A guy that says I don't know means he does not care...If he tells you "Mobil Devac 5W40" (or similar) it is more than likely maintenance is done on time because he cares.
5. Ask the drive for him to drive it around for a few minutes...that will tell you allot; and allot of ppl don't think about doing that.

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » May 26th, 2011, 8:05 am

Thanks Rutless, those are some very good points. Lemme share an experience...met a guy with a 4x2 Hilux, vehicle looking in very good condition, milage low but, then when he pulled the bonnet I saw where they left back some newspaper from after they painted the van, saw it again under the fenders and then when I looked at the tray I noticed that the "door" wasn't aligned right. So of course without pointing this out the question came up whether it was in an accident and the answer was no. It was only after pointing out the door that he said he repainted the truck just to cover the scratches and stuff and they probably didn't mount the door back up right.

While that might be possible, I had my doubts. You really have to keep a sharp eye out for things like these because unfortunately there are dishonest people out there.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » May 26th, 2011, 2:13 pm

yeah dude - you really have look out for these people.

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » June 1st, 2011, 8:39 am

Well I went and test drove a Sportero and......I'm sold that's the way that I wanna go. I was just very comfortable with the space, performance and the sitting position of the driver. I just have 2 problems....

1. I want a manual Sportero not the auto like what I checked out. I know the firm had the manual 2.5 Turbo and I think that's the model I wanna go with. Is just to find one

2. My finances change a bit and based on the price that I seeing some of them Sportero selling for I might have to postpone a purchase for a few more months to save up additional cash.

What's the general consensus on the manual Sportero? I saw the other thread with the ones that was off roading and they look very capable.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » June 1st, 2011, 8:46 am

the L200 are a very good choice - great family pickup. lots of space and comfortable ride. They are great offroading but comes with HT tires from the firm just like the Navara. I am not sure but i think it comes with a plastic stone shield like the navara too

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » June 1st, 2011, 9:09 am

Well rims and tires are something that can be changed. This is the vehicle that I checked out

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=372419&hilit=sportero

I know it's just one pic but the rims and tires give you an example of what can be done. I am definitely of the opinion that trucks should not have crims and other bling on it so the A/Ts are a good choice to me. But as I was driving it I kept looking for the gear shifter, I just think I'd be happier with the manual version.

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » June 1st, 2011, 9:22 am

civic minded wrote:the L200 are a very good choice - great family pickup. lots of space and comfortable ride. They are great offroading but comes with HT tires from the firm just like the Navara. I am not sure but i think it comes with a plastic stone shield like the navara too

it comes with a metal shield on the bottom

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » June 1st, 2011, 9:55 am

well go for it dude

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » June 21st, 2011, 10:04 pm

Fellas, I need some input here. I'm going to have a look at this vehicle viewtopic.php?f=55&t=379197 . Should I be concerned by the mileage (195,000 km) and what are some of the things I will have to look out for when a diesel vehicle start reaching that kinda mileage?

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » June 21st, 2011, 11:48 pm

at that kinda mileage, regular maintainance throughout the trucks life should have been done - if so, then you would be ok, though the price should be less.

But be forewarned, you'd have to do a lot more preventative maintenancce now, like checking the belts, changing the diff oils, checking each and every single seal on the engine, check injectors and fuel pump timing, check compression, turbo test, etc. etc.

Besides that, you'll have to pay more attention to the vehicle and any strange behaviour as well.

pipser
Street 2NR

Postby pipser » June 22nd, 2011, 7:39 am

For somebody now getting into the world of diesel I'd be jumping straight in the deep end one time then. I'd have to really think about this one carefully then. Thanks again LH and congrats on the performance in the rally weekend gone!

JaiTech
Street 2NR

Postby JaiTech » March 8th, 2016, 5:57 pm

Following

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » March 17th, 2016, 2:30 am

after 5 years?

other threads more recent

Advertisement