TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The 2011 Chevy CRUZE, now at Lifestyle Motors

Daihatsu, Isuzu, Daewoo, Chevy, Holden etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Captainzaak
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Lifestyle Motors introduces the 2011 Chevy CRUZE

Postby Captainzaak » January 8th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Nah honestly the Cruze has good specs and looks pretty nicely built.

However for the price that lifestyle is calling for one, not much people will spend that on a Chevy when they can get a better brand for a little more.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 9th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Captainzaak wrote:Nah honestly the Cruze has good specs and looks pretty nicely built.

However for the price that lifestyle is calling for one, not much people will spend that on a Chevy when they can get a better brand for a little more.

SO i decided to give that dude the benfit of the doubt and i checked out some vids of it on youtube, trend seems to be that the car is pretty slow...also it's supposed to be the quiestest car in it's class but even on camera i could hear road and engine noise...the engine sounds very droney and lazy, but, it does have some nice features...dunno though, for that money i can get a foreign used Mazda 6, one of the new ones... :|

Captainzaak
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Captainzaak » January 9th, 2011, 9:47 pm

zando wrote:
Captainzaak wrote:Nah honestly the Cruze has good specs and looks pretty nicely built.

SO i decided to give that dude the benfit of the doubt and i checked out some vids of it on youtube, trend seems to be that the car is pretty slow...also it's supposed to be the quiestest car in it's class but even on camera i could hear road and engine noise...the engine sounds very droney and lazy, but, it does have some nice features...dunno though, for that money i can get a foreign used Mazda 6, one of the new ones... :|

The one you checked online was the 1.4L?

I might check in for a test drive, doh wanna judge a book by it's cover.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » January 9th, 2011, 9:59 pm

the one i checked was the 1.8, it's also supposed to come with a 1.4 turbo making a whopping 10 hp more...also there was a cvt like whine everytime the car slowed down...

damieG82
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby damieG82 » January 10th, 2011, 8:46 am

this review pretty much sums up everything (good and bad) I've heard about the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jmSnWT7 ... re=recentf

Price points are the important factor here... not because a 1.8 Corolla goes for 230K means the Cruze should too. Apart from the novelty of the design, it has nothing going for it over the competition. And its beyond me why Lifestyle chose to bring that engine. The 1.4 turbo would have been ideal, and even the 1.6 would be more palatable here since it'll incur less MVT and thus can be priced cheaper

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » January 10th, 2011, 11:40 am

Was interested in the Cruze.....but after looking at it online and reading reviews it seems Chevy has just caught up to where Honda/Mazda has been already. The new Elantra looks more tempting and the 9th gen Civic should be on the way soon.....can't wait to see what Honda does.

But I'm thinking my next car is going to be the 2011 KIA Optima.....went through the website and my god...KIA did really good with this new model....Camry and Accord better look out...me thinks Honda and Toyota better hire German designers cause since KIA did so their products have been fantastic.

Don't want to jinx it but really hoping they offer the 2.0L turbo version too....can't think of a more perfect vehicle .... styling, power, features without breaking the bank.....

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » January 18th, 2011, 2:41 pm

My thoughts on the Cruze:

Its a big step up from the Chevrolet Cobalt and Optra for sure but it is not a class-leader in anything. The looks are striking both inside and out but brings nothing new to the compact car party. What is going strongly for the Cruze is that its a world car which is called by many names but for us we will stick to the Cruze. Haven taken over the Daewoo operations in South Korea, the Cruze boasts of technology and input from several countries including the in-house GM transmission, the Opel ECOTEC engine and the same platform/chassis as an Opel/Vauxhall Astra.

The only thing South Korean about that car is probably the design. It has a driver's knee airbag option AFAIK just like the Mitsubishi Lancer but uses cheaper Mc Pherson struts up front and a torsion beam rear suspension. In other words, the Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Lancer and Hyundai Elantra are 1 up on this Chevy already wrt suspension. The goose-neck trunk-lid arms is a let down like its hydraulic assist steering.

Its a budget car designed to impact the market so if LSM and GM would like to see this humble compact make an impression on our market they first have to price it properly. IMHO it makes no sense to bring the 1.8 and diesel but should focus on the 1.4T and 1.6. To be honest, the power/torque output of the 1.6 is still below the 1.6 found in the Elantra/Cerato and Honda Civic. The 1.8 is on par with current offerings and the 1.4T is less powerful than a VW Jetta TSI by far.

Im thinking these should be the prices:

For a fully loaded Cruze with sunroof and 17"rims etc..

1.4T - $210,000.00
1.6 - $185,000.00
1.8 - $204,000.00

If they would like to bring the diesel to try out our market then:
2.0 turbo diesel - $218,000.00

Conclusion:

I am skeptical of LSM marketing the Chevrolet brand as they have been focusing on Suzuki despite the acquisition of Chevy in late 2008. Chevrolet deserves a stand-alone dealership where other RHD models can be sold and supported in T&T. As long as LSM has Suzuki, they would price the SX4 lower and make them more marketable not to mention as in any other dealership, you see salesreps from Suzuki saying don't buy Chevy and vice-versa just like what happens in Southern Sales and Neal and Massy.

For now I rank the Cruze 5th place under the VW Jetta, Mazda 3, Ford Focus and Mitsubishi Lancer. The Civic will take 6th spot and 7th will go to the Cerato. The Corolla will handle 8th place and the Elantra will take 9th. This won't last for long because the new 2011 Elantra is nearlly upon us as well as the new Civic.

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » January 19th, 2011, 9:38 pm

FYI, the 1.6L and the 1.4T versions of CRUZE are not available for this market. Of course, neither are the diesels.

New showrooms are being built and will be open this year for Chevy, Porsche and Suzuki. Of course all on the same site.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » January 20th, 2011, 1:32 am

I know you have a relationship with LSM and I suspect a few who would give you this info to run with but until GM provides the packing list of exactly what may come down soon, we should wait for the actual cars to enter bond and check them physically to see the exact equipment it came with and of course glancing at the owner's manual to see what really is for our market. For now, I leave speculation where it belongs. With due respect unless you provide documented proof that the 1.6 is not for our market then I wish LSM and GM goodluck in marketing the Cruze in an attempt to get buyers away from the Jetta and Civic etc. We all know Chevy marketing is zero to non existent but glad to see at least the strategic heads listened and gave us an upgraded warranty vs what was on owner's manuals before. As for the new showroom, it was suppose to happen since 2009 but that year came and went just like 2010. I'm glad it MAY materialize this year but lets see if GM is proud of the floor space. I guess you already knew all this..

killersuzuki
Riding on 18's

Postby killersuzuki » January 27th, 2011, 6:30 pm

BRING THE TURBO!!!!!

Chemical
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Chemical » February 11th, 2011, 6:57 am

GM cars were always cheaper than the Japs. The Japs took over the market in the States & Canada years ago due to GM's quality & reliability (Delphi).

If I'm not mistaken these cars are Korean made, & the Korean dollar has fallen DRASTICALLY. If LSM markets the car properly under the $160K mark they have a good chance.

Alot of people are looking for NEW cars under $150K & N&M motors did a major study recently.

There are about 5 different versions of the Nissan tiida. Just look & see how many of them are selling now.

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: The 2011 Chevy CRUZE, now at Lifestyle Motors

Postby NorStar2K » February 18th, 2011, 6:58 pm

No more speculation. Hold Dat!!!

Cruze 1.8L LS A/T

$187,750.00

Cruze 1.8L LT A/T

$215,750.00

In Showrooms NOW! Coming Soon........to a Mall near you!

DRIVE ONE!

Captainzaak
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Captainzaak » February 18th, 2011, 7:23 pm

I swear i saw the Cruze in this movie, The Mechanic.

Am i right?

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » February 19th, 2011, 1:38 am

nice post again norstar, tell us what features it comes with? Those prices are pretty high but I guess compared to a 1.5 Corolla, its a bargain! The 1.8 Cruze actually has a competitive engine according to the specs:

2008-present Cruze LT 1.8:
104kW or 139bhp and 176Nm of peak torque vs
6-speed automatic

2005-present Civic VTi-S 1.8:
103kW or 138bhp and 174Nm of peak torque
5-speed automatic

BUT:

new 2011 Elantra GLS 1.8 (coming soon to T&T I hope):
110kW or 148hp and 178Nm of peak torque
6-speed automatic

More than likely the Cruze would be heavier than the Civic but the extra cog could give it a higher top-end?? Lets stop bashing GM guys, the Cruze is a big improvement over the Cobalt, Optra and Astra.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 20th, 2011, 2:24 am

Deleted
Last edited by agent007 on February 2nd, 2013, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

killersuzuki
Riding on 18's

Postby killersuzuki » February 28th, 2011, 10:48 pm

Unless they bring the 1.4 turbo, I don't want it.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 8th, 2011, 11:13 am

ACT DA FOOL
Sweet on this forum

Postby ACT DA FOOL » March 21st, 2011, 7:38 pm

What about cost of parts for the Cruze? I've been considering this car for some weeks now, actually went for a test drive in one. But ppl keep asking me about parts. Aside from the manufacturers, is parts a problem to get for this car?

christopherwilliams2
Riding on 18's

Postby christopherwilliams2 » June 28th, 2011, 12:16 pm

any driver...I've seen one of these on the roads in the east....
anyone with a local review???

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » July 17th, 2011, 5:26 pm

Motortrend.com did an 8 way compact car comparison, the 2012 Hyundai Elantra beat out not only the Corolla, but, the New 2012 Civic and the 2012 Mazda 3 to take the top spot, the Cruze if i remember only beat the Corolla and the Cerato(Forte), link below.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/30/moto ... ht-way-co/

acesinghit wrote:nice post again norstar, tell us what features it comes with? Those prices are pretty high but I guess compared to a 1.5 Corolla, its a bargain! The 1.8 Cruze actually has a competitive engine according to the specs:

2008-present Cruze LT 1.8:
104kW or 139bhp and 176Nm of peak torque vs
6-speed automatic

2005-present Civic VTi-S 1.8:
103kW or 138bhp and 174Nm of peak torque
5-speed automatic

BUT:

new 2011 Elantra GLS 1.8 (coming soon to T&T I hope):
110kW or 148hp and 178Nm of peak torque
6-speed automatic

More than likely the Cruze would be heavier than the Civic but the extra cog could give it a higher top-end?? Lets stop bashing GM guys, the Cruze is a big improvement over the Cobalt, Optra and Astra.

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » July 28th, 2011, 8:10 am

christopherwilliams2 wrote:any driver...I've seen one of these on the roads in the east....

check zorce magazine

christopherwilliams2
Riding on 18's

Postby christopherwilliams2 » July 28th, 2011, 9:53 am

DSM_05 wrote:
christopherwilliams2 wrote:any driver...I've seen one of these on the roads in the east....

check zorce magazine

where they sell this???

markme
Riding on 13's

Postby markme » July 28th, 2011, 1:14 pm

I purchased the Chevy Cruze LT 3 months ago; I think I was one of the first to own one locally. At the moment, I am very impressed with the car- after owning a Ford Focus Ghia, and Chevy Optra 1.6 over the past 4 years. The Cruze should not be compared to the Optra, given the price point and the upscale exterior, interior and drive-ability.... although I reckon (from experience) that the Cruze 1.8 and the Optra 1.6 have very close 0-100 km acceleration (10-12.5 seconds).

My review of the Cruze is four-fold: 1. Exterior; 2. Interior; 3. Performance/ Technology; and 4. Value for Money.

1. Exterior- Although arguably conservative, the exterior had me sold on the Cruze LT from the outset. The vehicle is solidly built and there are remarkably few signs of cost cutting or bean counting. The vehicle does look better in person than in photographs in my view. There is some semblance to the 5 series BMW (shoulder line), 7 series (tail lights), and even the 1 series sold in Europe (door locks and fuel cap). Note that the photos in the local ads show the US Cruze LTZ RS and not the much less equipped local Cruze LT or LS. The US Cruze (LS, LT, LTZ and Eco) has modified suspension, standard blue-tooth (not the portable motorolla blue-tooth device I got with the vehicle), 10 airbags (not 2 as sold locally); and upscale models have additional chrome accents (front near fog lamps, rear, door handles and window sill), power driver seat (manual locally), Onstar (we doh have that), USB port (nowhere to be found in the current local models), 1.4 turbo engine with class leading petrol fuel economy in the Eco version (manual).
However, for under 220 k locally I find the vehicle quite attractive and I have received lots of positive comments from car enthusiasts and average people alike. I give the exterior 8-10; the only car in the 220k range comparable, in my view, on exterior appeal only, would be the Kia Cerato Koup- perhaps I am biased given the novelty of both designs when compared to the aging designs from Toyota, Honda and the like. The standard 17s (rims) are great, although the US models have stock 18s available.

2. Interior- The interior of the Cruze LT is exceptional for its class. The LS is good also, although comparably, the interior is fabric and the instrumentation lacks the chrome accents. Otherwise, the dimensions, features etc are quite similar between the LS and LT versions. I purchased the brick/black leather interior. I agree with the reviews praising the interior for the quality of the materials and the uniqueness of the design etc. The leather on the seats is genuine leather and not leatherette as abounds locally. The material on the dash is leather-esque.... I don't think it is genuine leather. The way the plastic on the dash, doors etc is grained gives the impression that the entire interior is covered in leather, and, gives the illusion that the Cruze is competing with entry level luxury vehicles.
On the topic of the leather, I am impressed with the quality, although care is required in maintaining coloured leather seating etc. The black matte-finished plastics in the interior remind me of my friends Hummer (I am serious), even the roof upholstery appears the same as the Hummer- a knitted material. The sound dampening (NVH levels) is exceptional for the class (arguably library quiet and class leading). Original carpeted floor mats are standard, similar to the Porsches in LSM. The LED blue interior lighting is attractive and upscale, and can be adjusted for brightness.
I do not like the limited rear-seat room when the front seat is adjusted (for me at 6 ft), as my knees press into the back of the front seat. I always have to move the seat back and forward to accommodate average height passengers in the back. That being said, the front seats can be adjusted to accommodate very tall people- they travel very far backward. The storage space is exceptional with 15.4 cubic ft in the trunk (hence the limited back-seating, no surprise). Do note that the plastics are prone to scratches and get dirty when the a/c is off and windows down.
In summary, although not perfect, the interior is praiseworthy and the attention to details is markedly noticeable upon entering the Cruze- cup-holders aplenty, etc . I give it a rating of 8.5/10 in my estimation- note that my scores are class specific (Corolla, Civic, Octavia, Jetta, Lancer, etc).

3. Performance/Technology- In Trinidad a comparable 1.8 litre engine from the likes of Honda, Toyota, even Skoda are more costly. That being said, the Cruze is calibrated for fuel efficiency and the engine cannot be pushed like Optra 1.6. Acceleration appears good on our roads but I know better. The vehicle is average when it comes to speed from a standstill. The handling, on the other hand, is quite good. The Cruze is very good at cornering and composed driving at highway speeds-feels like a luxury car to me. The suspension is not soft, so negotiating road imperfections would require slowing down- as should in ALL vehicles.
The transmission is 6 speed and I have no complaints there. Perhaps they could have included the tranny dipstick? Oh, and there is a modified cartridge engine oil filter (available where? LSM only I'm sure).
I find it strange that, in real-world driving, I have yet to realize the much acclaimed fuel economy. Perhaps the engine/tranny etc needs time to adjust.... I am still below 5000 km.
Where tech-savvyness is concerned the Cruze does not disappoint. Too many features to itemize. I can set the automatic headlamps to remain on for minutes after leaving the vehicle. The radio is good and the volume can be programmed to increase etc based on speed, the steering wheel controls are good, and it is possible to purchase the aftermarket dvd upgrade, reversing camera etc online for under 500 USD. I got TWO switchblade keys with the Cruze LT, a welcome surprise. The car can be unlocked from over 50 feet with the key fob. 7.9/10.

4. Value for money- I have no regrets in the wake of purchasing this vehicle. I am a fan of the Ecotec engines available throughout the Chevy line, together with the standard features that usually go unnoticed like the collapsible engine and pedals in the event of an accident, the chip in the keys with factory anti-theft alarm etc. AND THE FACT THAT NOONE AND I MEAN NOONE STEALS A CHEVY LOCALLY.
I feel as if I am driving a luxury vehicle (interior and exterior appearance and road manners). BTW I have no complaints about the torsion beam set-up or the lack of direct fuel injection or electric steering that I read complaints about on this website. Who would pay 300k for a Cruze with those features???????? Upwards of 290k I reckon that SUVs and Audis/ BMWs etc reign locally. 8.5/10.

In summary, this vehicle is priced competitively locally. It was the bestselling car in the US in June 2011 and I think the 4th best globally. Testament to its pedigree, but do note that it IS NOT an A4 or 3 Series BMW.

damieG82
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby damieG82 » July 29th, 2011, 11:32 am

no USB :x

does it at least have a 3.5mm aux input?

markme
Riding on 13's

Postby markme » July 29th, 2011, 12:19 pm

damieG82 wrote:no USB :x

does it at least have a 3.5mm aux input?

It does, in the center console...... The space for the USB next to the aux input is empty.

christopherwilliams2
Riding on 18's

Postby christopherwilliams2 » August 11th, 2011, 6:32 pm

saw one today Trincity....car look bess.

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » October 11th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Saw one today in the showroom, it was priced at 189000 and >200k for the leather. Didn't test drive it, as I just happened to stumble in LSM at that time :lol:

I was really blown away by the interior, I was honestly shocked as I didn't expect much from Chevy

I love that all of these new cars are coming bigger with huge trunk space, yet able to have a lot of space inside the cabin itself.

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » October 11th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Stephon. wrote:Saw one today in the showroom, it was priced at 189000 and >200k for the leather. Didn't test drive it, as I just happened to stumble in LSM at that time :lol:

I was really blown away by the interior, I was honestly shocked as I didn't expect much from Chevy

I love that all of these new cars are coming bigger with huge trunk space, yet able to have a lot of space inside the cabin itself.

Drive one Stephon, you'll be pleasantly surprised, especially in 'Tiptronic' mode! 8-)

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » January 15th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Best Industry Warranty in its Class: 5-Years/100,000KM

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » January 15th, 2012, 10:57 pm

NorStar2K wrote:Best Industry Warranty in its Class: 5-Years/100,000KM

Body and engine/mechanicals? What does the fine print say?

Advertisement

Return to “OTHER Manufacturers”