2012 Swift Sport for Frankfurt?

Everything Suzuki - Swift GTi and Ignis Sport to Grand Vitara and XL7

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

2012 Swift Sport for Frankfurt?

Postby Alpha_2nr » August 15th, 2011, 10:42 am

Not sure if this is a repost.

Looks like hopes of a 1.4 twincharged engine may have been shattered.

The next-gen Suzuki Swift Sport will debut at the 64th Frankfurt Auto Show on September 13.

Compared to the standard Swift, the Sport model has a more aggressive exterior and promises a “high-quality” interior with, “features that heighten excitement about the driving experience.”

Powering the Swift is a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 134-hp, with better fuel consumption than previous models. The engine will be mated to a specifically developed six-speed manual transmission.

The Swift Sport also offers better handling thanks to larger wheels and low profile tires, as well as a new suspension setup with custom spring and shock settings.

Safety features include seven airbags and a stability control system.

It has been rumored that the Swift may come to North America, and if it does, hopefully the Swift Sport will also be offered. More information will be known at the Frankfurt auto show so stay tuned!

At least it still gets the 6 speed trans. I assume that the 6th gear is what will help with highway fuel ratings...the "current" SSS badly needs an extra cog!

rado, BLUE_CP9A, thoughts on the engine? Looks like it might be a revamped M16A?

Makes sense, since more and more of the KDM/JDM 1.6's are putting out 125 hp (like the Civic for example), without the added perks the M16A has (like the lighter internals for one).

BLUE_CP9A
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: 2012 Swift Sport for Frankfurt?

Postby BLUE_CP9A » August 15th, 2011, 1:58 pm

I'm quite sure it's the new Engine with Twin VVT - Intake and Exhaust Timing.

The new 2011 Swift is powered by a 1.4 version

Basically they did the same with the ZC series cars, offer a larger displacement for the sport on the same engine design

chris1388
Riding on 18's

Postby chris1388 » August 15th, 2011, 5:41 pm

^^ that is exactly what they did shane...disappointing imho. Car should have 140bhp MINIMUM

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » August 15th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Alpha_2nr wrote:Not sure if this is a repost.

At least it still gets the 6 speed trans. I assume that the 6th gear is what will help with highway fuel ratings...the "current" SSS badly needs an extra cog!

rado, BLUE_CP9A, thoughts on the engine? Looks like it might be a revamped M16A?

Makes sense, since more and more of the KDM/JDM 1.6's are putting out 125 hp (like the Civic for example), without the added perks the M16A has (like the lighter internals for one).

There has been lots of speculation about the new engine, but partucularly in a time of global economic sluggishness and a strong shift towards green tech, I did not expect much.

134 hp is just 9 bph more than the present model SSS which will translate to about 6 more WHP!

My guess is that is is just a bored out version of the current 2011 swift engine. I've heard the 1.4 is not too bad, so with a bit more displacement adn dual VVT getting to that level would not be too difficult.

I bet it has the same tiny valves as our present SSS....a deficiency I'm working hard to remedy :twisted:

DEVI
Riding on 18's

Postby DEVI » August 15th, 2011, 6:44 pm

so.... might make sense to buy a new 1.4 and boost it... :)

chris1388
Riding on 18's

Postby chris1388 » August 15th, 2011, 6:55 pm

DEVI wrote:so.... might make sense to buy a new 1.4 and boost it... :)

I want to buy one of the new 1.4's a to-go for work to beat this traffic

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » August 15th, 2011, 9:16 pm

DEVI wrote:so.... might make sense to buy a new 1.4 and boost it... :)

LOL

yeah Devi...it make sense to boost just about anything :lol:

but seriously, there is a 1.2 turbo diesel version in some eastern markets

Mitsu power
Riding on 18's

Postby Mitsu power » August 16th, 2011, 10:39 am

^^^ all I can do is cry lol.. im like JK POOWWWEERRRRRRRRR .. ^^^^ we need to get the new workshop manual I feeling frankeee ....

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » August 17th, 2011, 1:29 am

damm. it looks hawt though.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » August 17th, 2011, 8:30 am

you guys forgetting its a 6-speed manual meaning, 1 extra shift to 100kmph plus it would be heavier than previous SS so wrt performance.....nothing has changed. Still not has powerful as hyundai/kia's new 1.6 (138hp) but trumps toyota's new 1zr-fae (130hp).

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » August 17th, 2011, 11:07 am

^^ I think the sixth gear will just make crusin more comfortable on the engine..and deliver good milage. I've often benn lookin for a 6th gear on my SSS :( but I not changin no gearing!

Aye all yuh thing that front bumper could bolt on to a 2009 SSS????

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » August 17th, 2011, 11:36 am

acesinghit wrote:you guys forgetting its a 6-speed manual meaning, 1 extra shift to 100kmph plus it would be heavier than previous SS so wrt performance.....nothing has changed. Still not has powerful as hyundai/kia's new 1.6 (138hp) but trumps toyota's new 1zr-fae (130hp).

no. the local elantra has 130 hp. the local car uses the dual cvvt gamma 1.6 non gdi.

the KDM spec cars use the 1.6 GDI gamma2, which makes 138-140 hp.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » August 17th, 2011, 9:18 pm

pardon my poor photoshop skills. i find that the new sport should look more like this

ingalook
Riding on 16's

Postby ingalook » September 4th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Power 134 hp @ 6900 rpm
Torque 118 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

Looks like more peaky HP (more fun methinks) Id say redline would be up to about 7500 rpm (also more fun)

The weight increase comes courtesy safety, increased front impact protection as well as 7 air-bags!

Now I'm all for side curtain air-bags but steering mounted air-bags and a driver knee air-bag are just for tards who refuse to wear seatbelts, I've been in over 6 accidents where there was a front impact hard enought to deploy such air-bags (I JUST had a seatbelt), and honestly in ever situation the air-bags would have only made things worse.

Air-bags that explode out of the steering could have:

- Broken my Glasses
- Broken my arm depending on its position
- Disoriented me
- Burnt my face and/or arms

Why? Why are these added to cars? Stupid if you ask me...

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » September 9th, 2011, 8:29 am

Alpha_2nr wrote:Not sure if this is a repost.

The next-gen Suzuki Swift Sport will debut at the 64th Frankfurt Auto Show on September 13.

Compared to the standard Swift, the Sport model has a more aggressive exterior and promises a “high-quality” interior with, “features that heighten excitement about the driving experience.”

Powering the Swift is a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 134-hp, with better fuel consumption than previous models. The engine will be mated to a specifically developed six-speed manual transmission.

The Swift Sport also offers better handling thanks to larger wheels and low profile tires, as well as a new suspension setup with custom spring and shock settings.

Safety features include seven airbags and a stability control system.

It has been rumored that the Swift may come to North America, and if it does, hopefully the Swift Sport will also be offered. More information will be known at the Frankfurt auto show so stay tuned!

your hopes will never go shattered my friend:

the 178hp 1.4L twin charged Polo GTI.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » September 9th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Polo Gti take level win! I real like the vw scirocco too.

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » September 10th, 2011, 4:09 pm

Both the scirocco and golf gti are on my short list of next vehicle to own ... as well as a BMW 135i :)

Big Z
30 pounds of Boost
Location: 734-7669 Amsoil, Chevron, Redline, Fuel Injector Cleaning

Postby Big Z » September 14th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Linky

Bleh....

NEW SWIFT SPORT WORLD DEBUT AT THE 2011 FRANKFURT MOTOR SHOW

The sporty, exciting new Swift Sport is the highlight of the Suzuki line up at the 64th International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt.

The Swift Sport is the performance flagship of the Swift model range and offers higher levels of tuning, steering and braking performance than the standard Swift on which it's based. The previous model first went into production in Japan in 2005 and in Hungary in 2006. The sporting experience and everyday practicality have earned many devoted fans in approximately 40 countries and territories around the world.

The new Swift Sport has the same DNA as its predecessor, but reflects the concept of developing a refined sport compact from the new Swift that Suzuki launched in the UK last Autumn. Befitting its status as the new performance flagship of the Swift model range, it reflects the pursuit of even better handling, driving performance, environmental compatibility and an uncompromising focus on quality. Overall, it offers a rewarding experience of Suzuki's sporting DNA.

Suzuki plans to launch the new Swift Sport in a growing number of countries, beginning this October, with sales launch in the UK from early next year.

Exterior
The new Swift Sport's exterior design reflects the model's evolution towards a more sporting look. The ground-hugging form gives a sense of stability, the large front grille hints at the performance within and is flanked by big, distinctive finned fog lamp bezels that add even more sporting character.

Aerodynamic parts exclusive to the new Swift Sport control the airflow, suppress lift and give the car a lower visual centre of gravity. Newly developed high-intensity discharge headlamps with a metallic-grey coating as well as new design rear combination lamps heighten the sense of dynamism expressed by the exterior design.

Sporty and refined Interior
Sporty, exclusive design features in the new Swift Sport's cabin heighten the driving pleasure and a high-quality look and feel generates pleasure of ownership with new design sport seats in an exclusive fabric together with a five-dial meter cluster that combines easy legibility with an uncluttered look.

Dimensions [Compact for nimbleness]?
The new Swift Sport's strong presence belies compact dimensions that make it exceptionally nimble. Wide treads and a short wheelbase (key characteristics of the Swift series) combine with chassis systems that include an exclusively designed rear suspension to ensure brisk handling and outstanding high-speed stability. The new Swift Sport has an overall length of 3,890mm, an overall width of 1,695mm, an overall height of 1,510mm, and a wheelbase of 2,430mm.

Performance
• Exclusively tuned handling for the Swift Sport
• Swift Sport-exclusive M16A engine offering more power and fuel economy
• Specially designed six-speed manual transmission

Handling [Exclusively tuned chassis for Swift Sport]
Since the new Swift Sport is the performance flagship of the Swift series, Suzuki pursued higher levels of chassis performance, achieving an exceptional balance of controllability and stability.

Greater toe and camber rigidity for the torsion beam, greater lateral rigidity in the torsion-beam bushings, and larger rear wheel bearings enhance stability at the rear under hard cornering. Increased spring rates for the front and rear coil springs and added rebound springs in the front struts significantly contribute to stability by providing greater roll stiffness. Modifications to the steering-gearbox member, suspension-frame member as well as larger front wheel bearings all boost yaw response, resulting in handling that has evolved even further from that of the previous Swift Sport.

Engine
The new Swift Sport's M16A engine is based on that of the previous model. Thanks to the addition of a variable intake system, optimisation of the intake VVT and increased valve lift, maximum output is up from 92kW in the previous Swift Sport to an impressive 100kW with the new model. Maximum torque is up from 148Nm to 160Nm. As a result, the driver can enjoy superb performance across the rev range. The engine's high output is combined with improved fuel economy; CO2 emissions are down around 11 per cent from 165g/km to 147g/km and a revised exhaust system yields a sportier note.

Key performance data
New Swift Sport Previous Swift Sport
Maximum output 100kW/6,900rpm 92kW/6,800rpm
Maximum torque 160N•m/4,400rpm 148Nm/4,800rpm
Fuel consumption* 44.1mpg 39.8mpg
CO2 emissions* 147g/km 165g/km

*The fuel consumption and CO2 emissions shown above are combined figures based on the new Swift Sport (Euro 5 standard formula for a vehicle with two-wheel drive and a six-speed manual transmission) and previous Swift Sport (Euro 4 standard formula for a vehicle with two-wheel drive and a five-speed manual transmission).

Transmission [Designed for sporty, fuel-efficient driving]
The new Swift Sport's manual transmission was developed specifically to take full advantage of the M16A engine's performance. The use of six gears (up from five in the previous Swift Sport) allows sporty driving combined with fuel economy. A triple-cone synchromesh for first and second gears permits lower shift effort and a larger counterweight at the transmission end of the shift lever yields a sporty shift action that is now lighter and more positive.

Wheels and tyres [Exclusive 17-inch designs]
Exclusive 17-inch aluminium-alloy wheels are standard on the new Swift Sport. They have a sharp, exquisite design and are produced in such a way that they are each about 1kg lighter than those of the previous Swift Sport. The tyre sizes are 195/45R17 and have been developed specifically for the new Swift Sport.

Safety [Newly evolved protection]
• Comprehensive range of safety equipment
• Seven airbags as standard equipment
• ESP® (Electronic Stability Program) as standard equipment

The new Swift Sport represents an evolution in terms of safety. Comprehensive safety technologies mean it offers the same control and peace of mind as the new Swift, which earned a five-star rating in the European New Car Assessment Programme.

Extensive use of high-tensile steel and computerised structural analysis keep the body light while promoting safety, There are seven airbags (including curtain airbags and a driver's knee airbag), and the pillars incorporate shock-absorbing materials that soften any contact with occupants' heads.

Suzuki took a multifaceted approach to achieve higher levels of active safety. As a result, ESP®* and an antilock braking system with electronic braking-force distribution are standard equipment.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » September 14th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Soo, is the same M16a with dual vvt and a 6spd box. Well the 6th gear was always missing. Really thought they stopped production to make drastic changes.

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » September 14th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Good info Z,

seems like there will be the possiblity of upgrade of several parts for those who plan to keep their existing SSS!

That's good news...perhaps the wheels, and perhaps some engine components.... perhaps even the gearbox :twisted:

Power of the new version should dyno at about 108-110 bone stock... a little dissapointing :?

I guess very few will consider a switch if you're primarily looking for power. But in a way its a good thing that the M16A will continue to be used since it will allow for the aftermarket to develop a bit more for this powerplant.

I still believe that the engine could have / should have been tuned to a much higher level!

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » September 15th, 2011, 6:46 am

of course it could have! the 1.6 elantra puts out virtually the same hp as the 2012 SSS - and that elantra uses:

a plastic intake manifold (instead of a polished metal one from the SSS)
cast internals (vs forged - no power gain there)
heavier rotating mass
lower redline (hence the gamma 1.6 in the elantra actually puts out more torque)
10.5:1 compression

both the elantras engine and the new sss have dual vvt.

the older gamma vvt only on 1 side put out 125 hp, virtually the same as the older M16A (single VVT) as well.

sucks if you ask me - that engine should have put out more via higher revs, since it's such a freely revving engine.

ingalook
Riding on 16's

Postby ingalook » September 15th, 2011, 8:00 pm

I hope it sells in the US so they will start making parts that you guys don't have to sell your kidneys to afford.

It is just incrementally better than the last car... but the last car was pretty damn good, so its not a bad thing

Everything about the car is slightly improved: engine, handling, interior, looks (?)

So all in all I'd buy one of thes and be quite happy with it, especially if there was nice aftermarket support... probably wouldn't buy new from the firm though because I'm sure it would be hitting $180k by the time lifestyle start selling them

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » September 16th, 2011, 8:20 am

DSM_05 wrote:of course it could have! the 1.6 elantra puts out virtually the same hp as the 2012 SSS - and that elantra uses:

heavier rotating mass
lower redline (hence the gamma 1.6 in the elantra actually puts out more torque)

the older gamma vvt only on 1 side put out 125 hp, virtually the same as the older M16A (single VVT) as well.

sucks if you ask me - that engine should have put out more via higher revs, since it's such a freely revving engine.

give this man a medal please, thanks.

I willing to bring back the EK4 and short shift against the new SSS and I'm sure the 15yr old Honda engine will put the licking on them ting again..Suzuki need to wake up and slap more power in a chassis that could handle so much more.

ingalook
Riding on 16's

Postby ingalook » September 16th, 2011, 12:31 pm

acesinghit wrote:
DSM_05 wrote:of course it could have! the 1.6 elantra puts out virtually the same hp as the 2012 SSS - and that elantra uses:

heavier rotating mass

give this man a medal please, thanks.

I willing to bring back the EK4 and short shift against the new SSS and I'm sure the 15yr old Honda engine will put the licking on them ting again..Suzuki need to wake up and slap more power in a chassis that could handle so much more.

I have a b18c in a hatch, the 2007+ sss feel more torqy low down... its down to the final drive i figure... you not guaranteed to beat a sss with an ek4, plus it will out-handle an ek4.

Besides that an ek4 better than most new civics... but the 2012 swift has a 6th gear so it will possibly have a closer final drive again

If there is aftermarket support (if it goes on sale in the US) you will start to see endless "cheap" parts for it.... 140whp might be doable man

chris1388
Riding on 18's

Postby chris1388 » September 16th, 2011, 3:53 pm

agreed it is disappointing, they should have given it more power. I doh agree wid aceinsight tho, if ur talking about a quarter mile race i'm sure it'd be close. Up top there's no denying the ek4 would walk away

Advertisement

Return to “SUZUKI”