Forums

You should know

Everything Suzuki - Swift GTi and Ignis Sport to Grand Vitara and XL7

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

whizpig
Sweet on this forum

You should know

Postby whizpig » July 18th, 2011, 11:13 pm

i'm starting this thread as a repository for avoidable Suzuki mishaps, things that if you knew could of happened you would have done something about it. I expect this thread to save newbs, ppl interested in Suzukis and the generally ignorant ppl like myself alot of time and money:

The Swift Sport doesn't come with a spare, by now we all know this but if you looking to by one and this is an issue for you, you might want to consider purchasing a spare that would fit and strapping it to the back seat with a bungee cord

The hand brakes on the Swift Sport are not to be trusted, if you parking on a hill leave the car in 1st or reverse

Wetting your rotors after hard driving can result in warping your rotars, continuing to depress your brake pedal after hard braking isn't a good idea either

Apparently the bolt holding your AC compressor clutch plate slowly loosens during operation and if left unattended it will fall off, so when yuh changing your oil just make sure it tight

please add to this list, personal experiences, stories you've heard (that have been verified) so we can all learn, and doh be shy about repeating something said on another thread
Last edited by whizpig on July 21st, 2011, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Re: You should know

Postby Ignorant Ignis » July 19th, 2011, 9:14 am

when u see the EPS light come on check your battery first .......
when you battery power is running lower it switches of the eps

BLUE_CP9A
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby BLUE_CP9A » July 19th, 2011, 9:30 am

Ignorant Ignis wrote:when u see the EPS light come on check your battery first .......
when you battery power is running lower it switches of the eps

Also an Airbag light can mean a low battery as well!

New battery and clear code

Jonathan
Sweet on this forum

Postby Jonathan » July 19th, 2011, 11:29 am

Good thread!! Keep 'em coming!!

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » July 19th, 2011, 8:23 pm

If your idle quality starts to deteriorate, it may be time to clean your MAF. A little electronic cleaner (not lubricant) does the trick. If you have a K&N induction kit, be prepared to clean the MAF a bit more often.

Jusjred
Street 2NR

Postby Jusjred » July 20th, 2011, 7:25 am

Would a dirty MAF sensor give a hard start now and then?

NLVA200
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby NLVA200 » July 20th, 2011, 10:34 am

rado wrote:If your idle quality starts to deteriorate, it may be time to clean your MAF. A little electronic cleaner (not lubricant) does the trick. If you have a K&N induction kit, be prepared to clean the MAF a bit more often.

I know about this one. *remembers that faithful dyno day*

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » July 20th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Jusjred wrote:Would a dirty MAF sensor give a hard start now and then?

Yes it could. I would say cleaning the MAF should be a routine... perhaps done every time you change oil at least.

The ECU continuously makes "short term trim" adjustments to the fueling control during idle, as it operates in closed loop mode. This could mask the dirty MAF problem, or it may appear intermittently.

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » July 20th, 2011, 5:28 pm

blacktriple_s wrote:
I know about this one. *remembers that faithful dyno day*

If I remember correctly, because of the airbox situation, your's got so dirty that the car refused to start!

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » July 20th, 2011, 5:36 pm

This is not a mishap, but you should know that If you choose to install an induction kit and a performance headder, the car will not run lean. In fact the car is tuned a bit rich from the factory, so these mods will boost power and torque througout without any damaging effects.

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » July 21st, 2011, 11:20 pm

Rotating tyres on Suzuki Jimny’s is a MUST, unless you plan to wear them away as fast as possible in order to purchase bigger ones.

New Jimny owners...have LS (or a reputable alignment shop if out of warranty) check the FW camber...it tends to go a lil positive with tire wear and suspension break-in.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » July 30th, 2011, 1:23 pm

great thread guys.....much appreciated.......kinda scared to interfere with the MAF cause that thing is expensive if it has be replaced

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » July 31st, 2011, 10:10 pm

One thing that I've noticed is ALL the plastic in the car becomes very brittle with exposure to the sun. My A/C vents have broken up, my shift knob now startin to break apart, the antenna rubber has all broken off.

I would suggest using a sun visor whenever you park up in the sun and to spray all the external plastics and rubber with protectant at least once a month.

spanglish1
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby spanglish1 » July 31st, 2011, 10:26 pm

Ever heard an annoying rattle in your ss dash and wondering where the rattle coming from? the ac vents behind the dash needs securing.remove your glove box and wedge it or use double sided tape to secure.
Also if you find ur sport becoming kinda unstable and loose at high speeds get ur suspension retorqued.she would feel nice and tight again.
Dunlop Sportmaxx tyres are great dry weather tyres definitely no good in the wet!Talking from my toco experience!good 16" tyres are very hard to find!
I would say nearly all the 2006+ suzuki vehicles come with a unicoat paint system which basically means one coat of clear on your car.So DO NOT USE compound or let anyone put a buffing machine on ur car!It would be the last time ur car shines.Invest in some Mother's Carnauba Wax or preferably the liquid kind like Turtle Wax Ice and a pack of yellow microfiber clothes.you would smile when you are done!

whizpig
Sweet on this forum

Postby whizpig » August 12th, 2011, 11:04 am

cleaning the Intake manifold and Throttle body, how do you do it?
i hear i should be careful what i use on my swift sport because of some special coating, can anyone confirm this, and if so what can i use?

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » August 12th, 2011, 5:57 pm

whizpig wrote:cleaning the Intake manifold and Throttle body, how do you do it?
i hear i should be careful what i use on my swift sport because of some special coating, can anyone confirm this, and if so what can i use?

The TB is easy to remove and clean. You only need a simple socket set. I suppose carb cleaner wil be good or perhaps some purple blaster. Be careful with the removal of the TB since the base gasket is paper based and if you yank it off, the gasket is likely to get torn.

Removal of the IM requires some not so common tools. You need a depth 12mm socket and a universal joint adapter for your socket set. After the induction system is removed, and of course the TB, you can attempt to remove the IM.

Of course you have to disconnect the EGR pipe / valve from the IM before removal. The space is a bit tight, but it can be done.

Once you have it off you can begin cleaning. There is no special coating in there other than oil :roll: The metal is smooth though. When you see how much oil is in there and the mess it makes from the TB, the IM and the intake ports in the head, you will most likely be wanted to install a catch can when you are re-assembling 8-)

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » August 12th, 2011, 6:02 pm

after working on a customers can over the wekend i had to add this one ...

if u have reverse sensors installed ....

if u start getting a rattle thats sounds like suspension noise comming from the rear of the car on bumpy road (metal on metal sound) remove the rear panels and check to see if the contol unit has fallen off... it's stuck to the inside fender with double sided tape. not sure who bright idea that was

rado
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rado » August 12th, 2011, 6:04 pm

If you are ever removing your stock headders, be very very careful with the removal of the O2 sensor. The combination of steel in cast iron, and the high temps make seizure possible.

Hopefully it wont be cross threadded (as mine was) :evil: .

chris1388
Riding on 18's

Postby chris1388 » August 12th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Not hijacking thread lol but, whizpig da was u on the highway today?

whizpig
Sweet on this forum

Postby whizpig » August 13th, 2011, 6:58 am

Yellow swift sport between UWI and piarco with gigantic black mud flaps, yea that was me

chris1388
Riding on 18's

Postby chris1388 » August 13th, 2011, 8:44 pm

lol na wrong car...i swear u had a white swift sport...a white one was running me down yest

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » August 17th, 2011, 1:36 am

New Jimny owners, if you getting annoying rattles and wind noise, its your doors that need adjusting. Would start to be noticeable about 3 yrs from new.
Also, never engage 4wd on smooth roads.

greasyspoon
Street 2NR

Postby greasyspoon » August 18th, 2011, 2:01 pm

Turn yur Swift Alarm to mode three! Lifestyle at least activates yur alarm now but they put it in mode 2 well at least mine anyway.
refer to: viewtopic.php?t=164989
A minor aside:
Discovered where Lifestyle installs the reverse sensor box with Ignorant Ignis. Its held down by double sided tape on the right side. Now its probably not much of a problem in the short term but i for see that tape dry rotting and the device falling off and making a possible rattle that would drive you nuts.

Sunday visits to Amir's house is always informative. lol

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » August 18th, 2011, 2:51 pm

aidan wrote:New Jimny owners, if you getting annoying rattles and wind noise, its your doors that need adjusting. Would start to be noticeable about 3 yrs from new.

How do u adjust the doors?

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » August 18th, 2011, 2:55 pm

greasyspoon wrote:Turn yur Swift Alarm to mode three! Lifestyle at least activates yur alarm now but they put it in mode 2 well at least mine anyway.

Swift comes with alarm installed ?

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » August 18th, 2011, 6:29 pm

*$kїđž!™ wrote:
aidan wrote:New Jimny owners, if you getting annoying rattles and wind noise, its your doors that need adjusting. Would start to be noticeable about 3 yrs from new.

How do u adjust the doors?

there's some big phillips screws in door (the lock itself) and the on the door-catch on the body, just adjust those to suit as you would in a normal car.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » August 19th, 2011, 9:29 am

thanks i'll have a look....

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » August 19th, 2011, 12:22 pm

same goes for the swift / ignis truck lock ....

if you notice the house lamp comes on during hard cornering or hearing a rattle ..then do the same as above .... but dont adjust the lock ... just the striker plate

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » August 19th, 2011, 1:07 pm

hearing a rattle in my Liana sport so I gonna check this out

Mitsu power
Riding on 18's

Postby Mitsu power » August 22nd, 2011, 3:56 pm

Dont park all the way up on parking stops they pull off your front bummper when it goes over and you are coming out.

Advertisement

Return to “SUZUKI”