TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

TERCEL ENGINE UPGRADE FROM 2Y

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Supplier
Riding on 13's

TERCEL ENGINE UPGRADE FROM 2Y

Postby Supplier » October 3rd, 2011, 3:05 am

Hi guys need some advice,have a tercel with 2y cab engine,want to upgrade to a fuel injected engine,its a everyday car i want a bolt for bolt conversion with a little more power

dani22
Ricer

Re: TERCEL ENGINE UPGRADE FROM 2Y

Postby dani22 » October 3rd, 2011, 5:07 am

3e
4efe.
all fuel injected and bolts right up.

reddo_tuner
Riding on 18's

Postby reddo_tuner » October 3rd, 2011, 8:30 am

4EFTE

bigchief3679
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby bigchief3679 » October 3rd, 2011, 1:11 pm

2Y? what that doing with a Hilux engine?
As said above any of the E series would go in bolt for bolt.
4EFE, 5EFE, 4EFTE, 5EFHE.

Supplier
Riding on 13's

Postby Supplier » October 3rd, 2011, 11:57 pm

thanks guys.Bigchief 2y i think that is what the mechanic say but its the normal tercel cabareter engine it must be my mistake

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » October 4th, 2011, 11:30 am

it's got to be a 2E he meant...the 12Valve single cam 1.3L engine, right?

Those engines suggested above will bolt up just fine. Bear in mind, however, that all those suggested are fuel injected engines, so some electrical work and possibly some gas tank work may be necessary. Your decision would be based on budget and if you plan on modifying later on.

Supplier
Riding on 13's

Postby Supplier » October 7th, 2011, 9:17 pm

Thank you hook i was looking forward for your comment,you seems to have a lot of mechanical experience. And yes i am aware of the electrical work and the gas pump.2E yes that's the engine lazy ass engine.No later mods plans that car is a working car $$$$$.I think i would go with the 4efe.But one more question guys.Whats the cost of engine and trani

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » October 7th, 2011, 10:23 pm

:lol: ppl looking fwd to my responses oui...I'm no mechanic tho, just a cheapskate DIY guy with brass balls, a toolkit and an uncanny ability to perfectly follow the repair manuals I find online :lol:

I have a thread here somewhere abt those engine prices. Might be on pg 2 but it's a pain to flip pages on this phone and I just finish rubbing down some outdoor terrazzo so this Stag and this cigarette ain't gonna finish themselves.

IIRC it's ~$4,500-ish, and u cater for installation, belts n' fluids etc., wiring (pump, ECU etc.) and some minor muffler work joining your stock piping to the new engine. Cater for some hidden costs too, cuz u usually find out something needs replacing when u start dismantling stuff.
I don't think it'll cost more than $7K in all for a quality job.
I hope this didn't faze u tho. Keep us posted on the progress.

reddo_tuner
Riding on 18's

Postby reddo_tuner » October 9th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Hook wrote::lol: ppl looking fwd to my responses oui...I'm no mechanic tho, just a cheapskate DIY guy with brass balls, a toolkit and an uncanny ability to perfectly follow the repair manuals I find online :lol:

I have a thread here somewhere abt those engine prices. Might be on pg 2 but it's a pain to flip pages on this phone and I just finish rubbing down some outdoor terrazzo so this Stag and this cigarette ain't gonna finish themselves.

IIRC it's ~$4,500-ish, and u cater for installation, belts n' fluids etc., wiring (pump, ECU etc.) and some minor muffler work joining your stock piping to the new engine. Cater for some hidden costs too, cuz u usually find out something needs replacing when u start dismantling stuff.
I don't think it'll cost more than $7K in all for a quality job.
I hope this didn't faze u tho. Keep us posted on the progress.

good advice as always

Supplier
Riding on 13's

Postby Supplier » November 6th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Ok guys i have decided to go with 4e .I have been checking around on some prices .Am getting one in penal for $5000.00 with complete engine and transmission all mounts shifter with cable all joints gas pump, mechanic fees $500.00 electrical fees $500.00 .And of cost normal tuneup parts oil timing belt oil filter .So HOOK you was right $7000.00 should do for full conversion.Also HOOK now you see why i was looking forward to your comment on my thread,because to me as i say fellow tuners [ TO ME ] he has a lot mechanical experience,you have a gift i hope you are making full use of it.so tuners am off first thing in the morning to buy my engine,should be done by weekend would keep you guys posted on my progress .

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » November 7th, 2011, 12:32 am

irie dance man...what I posted, anyone else here coulda do that...but glad to hear yuh gettin' thru

reddo_tuner
Riding on 18's

Postby reddo_tuner » November 10th, 2011, 9:22 pm

At least the engine price hasn't changed since I bought mine,Supplier, if you are not sure about anything feel free to pm me or email me and I will try to point you in the right direction

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » November 11th, 2011, 4:01 am

Y not post it here? That's the whole point of the forum.

reddo_tuner
Riding on 18's

Postby reddo_tuner » November 11th, 2011, 9:50 am

well I am not sure where he has gotten in terms of progress, once he does that, then I know what my next advice would be.

jmccomie
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby jmccomie » November 11th, 2011, 11:20 am

Supplier is it a 4efte u get for that price? .. u knw how long iv been lookin around for one, i aint check no place aint south though and nowhere in the bamboo have any, Im hoping to find one by january next year to start my conversion

clone101
Riding on 17's

Postby clone101 » November 20th, 2011, 7:32 am

I doing similar project on my sister's Tercel but i am using back the old transmission after i put in fresh oil in it,4efe cost me $3500 complete engine.........
Attachments
Photo0108.jpg
Photo0106.jpg
Photo0103.jpg
Photo0099.jpg
Photo0097.jpg

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » November 20th, 2011, 11:22 am

nice 8-)

buss a lil' purple blaster in dat engine bay and on the donor engine and have that mofo lookin' crisp when yuh done

And make sure the electrician doh have your wires looking like a bird nest again eh. Dem pics of d old engine looking shameful...show d engine bay some love. It hadda be wukkin good and lookin' good.

Keep us posted, guys.

clone101
Riding on 17's

Postby clone101 » November 20th, 2011, 1:16 pm

As i said this is my sister's car,if i get ah power washer borrow i will clean the engine bay or i will just pay to have the car cleaned up after i am done.The new 4efe spotless no oils spills on it so i leaving it just so,i soaked the transmission in purple blaster so it would look ah bit better when i put it back up.The electrician charged me $700 to wire it up & i use him before and his work is neat.Still have to figure out what i doing about the pump cause i did not open the take yet to see if i can work up an internal pump or just put an external 1.
I have the head,carb and distributor for sale if any 1 need s it @ 7674466..........

clone101
Riding on 17's

Postby clone101 » December 20th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Update on my project,i put in the engine only to realize the engine mount bracket different ,cause the engine i use came out of ah 111 not ah Tercel so i had to scrap the bracket from the old engine & scrap down the side of the new engine for it to work,next problem was the muffler,i did not get the down pipe with it so i had to go look for 1.After that was to put the pump in the tank & wire and gas back up the A/C.
Attachments
Photo0126.jpg
Photo0127.jpg
Photo0151.jpg
Photo0159.jpg

flex25
Riding on 13's

Postby flex25 » February 19th, 2012, 11:46 am

Nice i'm actually thinking about upgrading my 2e engine to a 4E or 5E fuel injected engine also...keep me posted on the progress

zryfle
Sweet on this forum

Postby zryfle » February 23rd, 2012, 12:31 pm

nice man looking good dey .

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » February 25th, 2012, 2:05 am

nice...

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » February 26th, 2012, 7:46 am

could we get a pic of how u eventually worked up the mount?

clone101
Riding on 17's

Postby clone101 » February 27th, 2012, 7:14 am

Hook if it's my project your talking about when next my sister's is around i will take 1,but i looks stock cause i scraped the original bracket off the 2e & it worked back with no problems bolt for bolt & i use back the original 2e mount for the bracket.P.S. to any one buying ah 4e or 5e offer up the right side mount before you put the engine in the car if you working on ah Tercel............

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » February 27th, 2012, 11:20 am

Cool tnx.

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » March 1st, 2012, 9:36 am

I am now a proud starcel owner (see avatar picture) now its equipped with the starlet calipers. My question is anything else I can do to improve the handling/steering/braking system? Any suggestions towards achieving this is greatly appreciated.

lastminuteaudio
Sweet on this forum

Postby lastminuteaudio » March 2nd, 2012, 10:19 pm

Hibrydsoul u can use a ep82 starlet sway bar in front...it bolts straight up once u get all the clamps n stuff with the sway bar...the bolt holes on the body are already there...i know dragon imports had an aftermarket one for sale for $200... u cud check him... for the rear, the only other option in as aftermarket rear sway bar, whiteline sells the complete kit on ebay for like $180 USD shipped...
as for brakes upgrades, if u want more than the starlet rotors, the levin twin piston superstrut brakes is an option but requires spacers an longer wheels studs, i used celica gt4 four piston up in front on mines an stock starlet rear disk conversion, the rear disks is straight swap...

to answer Hooks question abt the right side engine mount is because most those engines came from a corolla an the mount brackets on the engine are different for those as the engine bay is bigger, but it is simple as unbolting ur stock bracket an using it back...

to answer more questions, an intank pump can work with minor mods, there is space for it, keep in mind the stock fuel lines were designed for carb engines, and are 1/4" i beleive, i upgraded my whole fuel system to 5/16' bore lines.
all the tercel axels(make sure u get tercel an not corolla eh!) are same length to my knowledge unless u hav an lsd tranny or box..lol, shifter will also work back...

my question is, why did most of u who did the conversion go with a 4e and not a 5e? they are both the exact same bolt up an the 5e is a 1500cc engine, whereas the 4e is a 1300cc engine? prices are also similar.... i've done a lot on my tercel an know the mechanics inside out as i do my own work..so if any of u guys need advice..fell free to gimme a shout...
the pic basically shows where i started to where i'm at for now... 2E>4EFTE>5EFTE

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » March 6th, 2012, 10:09 am

A sway bar should be enough? or can I also install a strut bar as well? sorry for the noobish questions. But I'm new at this altogether so I will be relying on you all's knowledge.

P.S. Where can I purchase a strut bar? :oops:

lastminuteaudio
Sweet on this forum

Postby lastminuteaudio » March 6th, 2012, 10:01 pm

starlet strut bars come up on tuner from time to time...they fit perfectly or u can check someone like TSC on tuner who can make up something for u...the strut bar helps to a point with stability an ride feel(cars feels more firm)...the sway bar helps a lot with corning.. the strut bar in the 1st pic was one that TSC had made up for me, i jus had to drill over the shockhead plates...the one in the other pics is an OEM Tom's one that came with a starlet front cut...

Hibrydsoul
Sweet on this forum

Postby Hibrydsoul » March 10th, 2012, 6:02 pm

lastminuteaudio, question for you. What coolant do you use in your vehicle? Someone suggested to me that I can use Prestone and only add same as its already mixed with water. Besides Redline wgat other full synthetic oils can I use and what is the best grade to use and approximately how much to use when doing an oil change. Also transmission fluid..... what's best to use and approximately how much is to be used when doing a t/oil change? Normal rotors vs slotted rotors? whats your take?

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”