TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

Postby nes123 » October 9th, 2011, 8:19 pm

preach brutha!!

xauss
3NE 2NR for life

Postby xauss » October 10th, 2011, 10:25 am

Had Japanese cars since I started driving, now I drive a Euro....for safety, comfort, features, ride, handling...no Japanese car in that range comes close....and maintenance-wise...apart from routine maintenance and replacing a few parts due to normal wear and tear (just crossed 160000km), the car has never had one single random failure. Having also adjusted to things that Euros have as standard compared to the Japanese econoboxes in the same class...I'll be very hard-pressed to go back to anything Japanese for my next car...unless its a 2.0 turbocharged 4wd four-door family saloon lol. Also, on topic...the new Jetta is QUICK yo!

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 10th, 2011, 10:52 am

yeah the Jetta haz teh fyahz :)
ever notice how a japanese car feels like ultra-flimsy toilet paper after you get used to the SOLID feel of a euro?

xauss
3NE 2NR for life

Postby xauss » October 10th, 2011, 2:38 pm

AMEN!^^^

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 10th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Who are you guys insured with? Do any insurance companies recognize that VW cars have lower theft rates? This will be my first purchase and some of the quotes are (understandably) high due to me never having car insurance before:
I've gotten quotes like:

Tatil 17k

Colfire 33k (WTF) before discounts, 23k after discounts for Anti Theft Device, working within 20km from home and defensive driving.

Guardian General - 28k

This for a 28 year old male, no accidents prior. Are these figures the norm based on the info I provided? Should I avoid Colfire?

Do any of you recommend one particular insurance company for euros?

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » October 10th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Who are you guys insured with? Do any insurance companies recognize that VW cars have lower theft rates? This will be my first purchase and some of the quotes are (understandably) high due to me never having car insurance before:
I've gotten quotes like:

Tatil 17k

Colfire 33k (WTF) before discounts, 23k after discounts for Anti Theft Device, working within 20km from home and defensive driving.

Guardian General - 28k

This for a 28 year old male, no accidents prior. Are these figures the norm based on the info I provided? Should I avoid Colfire?

Do any of you recommend one particular insurance company for euros?

You see, they all have taken into account that you are a FIRST TIME OWNER and also THE COST OF THE CAR. And of course, this is FULLY COMPREHENSIVE with the full works.

I have known people who have hit their rides as soon as the drive out of the showroom..lol..

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 10th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Ok, all issues with euros have been soley because of maintenance. No probs.

Bunnyears when are you looking at buying? pm me your specifics and I'll see if the people I get insurance from have lower rates. Using only Maritime now, but used to get pretty good rates from Guardian. Don't understand how they quoted you so high. They have to be really milking that first time owner thing.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » October 12th, 2011, 2:39 am

My wife's friend, a 31 year old doctor, first time driver and car own, bought a Jetta too and paid 20K+ in insurance too. Sagicor and some others give discounts for euros but for your first time you have to pay up.

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 12th, 2011, 7:32 pm

That you do.
As I advised. If possible put it on someone else's name and put their car on your name. Would save a lot while you build up no claim. Then you can switch back after 4yrs. The transfer fee is way less than what you would save by doing that.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 13th, 2011, 12:19 am

What's considered first time driver? I have my dp for eleven years now and been driving for that long. Is it that once my name was never on an insurance form before I'm automatically considered a first time driver?

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 13th, 2011, 12:30 am

Yes. It's really first time owner. You need to have had no claim on your name before. Alternatively you can have no claim transfered to you also. Will just lose one year off of it. So you really need to figure out all your options and check the math for each.
Also, don't be afraid to tell the insurance agents your entire driving history, assuming of course that you have had no accidents it will work in your favor. Some people start their first insurance with 1 yr no claim from doing this.

rawCpoppa
Street 2NR

Postby rawCpoppa » October 16th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Do service and/or owner's manuals come in soft copy like word documents or PDF? I've been searching for manuals for this car online and nada.

Also what European based forums do you guys recommend? I'm trying to find things like engine codes and torque curves for this 160 hp engine.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » October 17th, 2011, 12:06 pm

It would be great if they bring the TDI engines

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 17th, 2011, 2:39 pm

BA says they want to bring TDI engines to Trinidad but can't because our diesel isn't good enough.

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 17th, 2011, 5:49 pm

@ rawCpoppa : http://en.bsr.se/products/t1749/
Not dyno graphs, but gives the shape of the curve if that's what you're looking for. Someone with one of the cars should have the engine code in their manual.

@Bunnyears : I don't believe that's the reason. Both BMW and Merc have diesels working perfectly fine down here. I don't see why the VW shouldn't work. In fact, there are tuned 530d's in trinidad that work fine.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 17th, 2011, 9:55 pm

To be honest I didn't think that's the reason either but the man @ BA insisted that VW didn't want to bring their TDI engines here because of the high sulphur content currently in our diesel.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 17th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Then VW TDI engines are direct injection which is similar to the FSI engines ...the issue here from using our piss poor diesel in a direct injection engine will not only be damaging in the long run,but the maintenance will be costly......wait...AFAIK the new VW Toureg used the TDI engine...so dunno what dat sales rep saying :roll: .....like is bess I go get a wuk dey yes..

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » October 18th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Just though I'd post my contribution about the Jetta here.

I drove the 2012 Jetta 1.4L TSI and Passat 1.8L TSI 'Comfortline' last Saturday. All I can say is I'm converted!!!!

The acceleration is quick, the ride smooth, the cabin is ultra-quiet. The 1.4 Jetta was quicker off the line than the 1.8 Passat, but the Passat had the higher top end. Achieving 100mph was an effortless feat in both. I especially like the touch screen head-unit which manages music (6CD/MP3/AM/FM), the front/rear parking sensors, Bluetooth and feature programming. The fabric upholstery is rich, even though I prefer leather.

I really can't complaint about anything in these cars. Even though I found the rear-view mirror in the Jetta to be a bit small, but that's just me.

Both cars are are quite similar in size but the Passat has a few more bells and whistles, including electric driver's seat. The Jetta has carbon fibre paneling whilst the Passat has the simulated wood-grain paneling. The rear seats and trunk are huge in both.

IMHO if you want sport sedan - Jetta, if you want luxury sedan - Passat.

BTW, the US reviews about all plastic economy interior just ain't true, except for the door paneling. The dash is soft to the touch. The TT models are UK spec models.

Sylphy @ $210K, Corolla @ $208/239K, Civic @ $222/239K, Lancer @ $210, 255, 267K, Mazda6 @ $280K, etc??? Not for my money!!

rawCpoppa
Street 2NR

Postby rawCpoppa » October 19th, 2011, 4:23 pm

nemesis wrote:@ rawCpoppa : http://en.bsr.se/products/t1749/
Not dyno graphs, but gives the shape of the curve if that's what you're looking for. Someone with one of the cars should have the engine code in their manual.

Thanks. These look different to a generic torque curve for a 170hp 1.4 tsi in some vw promo material. I'll post it up if I can find it again.

By the way the engine code for the 1.4 tsi (160hp) in the 2012 JETTA is CAVD. Even with that engine code finding info on the engine has been a pain.

rawCpoppa
Street 2NR

Postby rawCpoppa » October 20th, 2011, 12:24 pm

For any interested persons...
Attachments
abt 2.jpg
abt 1.jpg
Taken from a pdf from a separate tuning company showing specs for a 1.4 TSI engine (160 hp) in a VW Golf. This is the same engine as that in the Jetta (CAVD). Performance specs obtained from a golf with the same 7 speed DSG transmission found in the Jetta as well. Only difference is that the Golf has better 0 to 60 mile times.

Torque curve and HP curves shown above.
390.jpg
This was taken off a tuning website and shows the base torque and horsepower curves for the CAVD 1.4 TSI engine found in Jetta MK6, Golf 6 etc.

Graph also shows tuning company's improved performance curves.

Left side = Power
Right Side = Torque
U = revs
Base engine curve in grey

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » October 21st, 2011, 12:00 am

k guys, new to the euro game, sourced a ford focus euro spec ghia (exceptional condition) for my gf...she had an almera before....i know euro vehicles come with lots more features but i was blown away at the amount it came with...all i can say is wow!!...car has more features than my nav by far..
it has me thinking of getting the vw tiguain for myself
i know the euro vehicles has longer service intervals.... ford says its 10,000km for hers..anyone knows whats it on the tiguain?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 21st, 2011, 12:09 am

Brakes replacement is approx $2,000 Front & Rear.

Service intervals in miles:

5000 = $1,100
10000= $1,300
15000 = $1,100
20000 = $3,500 - All fluids changed, fuel Filter changed.
25000 = $1,100
30000 = $1,300
35000 = $1,100
40000 = $5,000 - Major service similar to 20,000 with all belts being changed .

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » October 21st, 2011, 1:23 am

^^^I find this very odd cuz I too was under the impression that euro service intervals were longer than 5000 miles (8000kms) between services.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 21st, 2011, 7:49 am

@ norstar2k...the intervals are longer...but remember selling cars locally is about making money on sales,servicing ...cuz they already know parts won't or shouldn't fail as soon as 100,000km so they have to make their money somewhere....

Also based on vehicle usage,if you're in traffic often and hardly doing an long distance driving daily,you will or should find the servicing for the 2 scenarios would be different..ideally any vehicle under harsh conditions should be services more frequently,more-so fluids NEED to be replaced...example...my Octavia can do 20,000km engine oil intervals,yet I replace every 6 mths or 6k km,due to my 5km daily trips between home and work as my oil gets black within this time...its just my personal preference I guess...the reason for this is my engine completely warms upon arriving at work,then its time to switch off...so the oil and its detergents are burning up faster due to rapid warming and cooling effect daily over 6mths irregardless of oil type...same effect it would have in daily traffic....but this advice may not be given to buyers of most cars...so this advice it free in case you weren't aware as yet :o

xauss
3NE 2NR for life

Postby xauss » October 21st, 2011, 8:09 am

jhonnieblue wrote:k guys, new to the euro game, sourced a ford focus euro spec ghia (exceptional condition) for my gf...she had an almera before....i know euro vehicles come with lots more features but i was blown away at the amount it came with...all i can say is wow!!...car has more features than my nav by far..
it has me thinking of getting the vw tiguain for myself
i know the euro vehicles has longer service intervals.... ford says its 10,000km for hers..anyone knows whats it on the tiguain?

Clicks "Like"
Focus FTW! :twisted:

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » October 21st, 2011, 12:26 pm

5000 mile service, kinda low though
my runs daily are north to south
ideally i think i want to test drive the tiguain diesel.
but i was hoping for a 10k service interval

NorStar2K
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » October 21st, 2011, 12:37 pm

nes123 wrote:@ norstar2k...the intervals are longer...but remember selling cars locally is about making money on sales,servicing ...cuz they already know parts won't or shouldn't fail as soon as 100,000km so they have to make their money somewhere....

Also based on vehicle usage,if you're in traffic often and hardly doing an long distance driving daily,you will or should find the servicing for the 2 scenarios would be different..ideally any vehicle under harsh conditions should be services more frequently,more-so fluids NEED to be replaced...example...my Octavia can do 20,000km engine oil intervals,yet I replace every 6 mths or 6k km,due to my 5km daily trips between home and work as my oil gets black within this time...its just my personal preference I guess...the reason for this is my engine completely warms upon arriving at work,then its time to switch off...so the oil and its detergents are burning up faster due to rapid warming and cooling effect daily over 6mths irregardless of oil type...same effect it would have in daily traffic....but this advice may not be given to buyers of most cars...so this advice it free in case you weren't aware as yet :o

THANK YOU! 8-)

rawCpoppa
Street 2NR

Postby rawCpoppa » October 21st, 2011, 3:27 pm

This is taken off of VW's UK website and is similarly worded by various VW websites worldwide:
The Time and Distance Service is recommended for vehicles that will cover less than 10,000 miles
in 12 months and if the vehicle is likely to be used in the following way:
• Predominantly urban driving, short journeys with frequent cold starts.
• Activities regularly producing high engine loading, e.g. frequent hill
climbs, driving with vehicle fully loaded and towing.
• Uneconomical driving style using high rpms with heavy acceleration
and heavy braking.
The service intervals for the Time and Distance Service are as follows:
• Oil change service
Every 10,000 miles/1 year (whichever is soonest).
• Interval service
Every 20,000 miles/2 years (whichever is soonest).
• Inspection service
Every 40,000 miles/3 years (whichever is soonest).
The LongLife Service is recommended for vehicles with a daily mileage of more than 25 miles where the
vehicle is driven regularly mainly on longer distance journeys. The vehicle is driven mainly at a constant speed
with minimum vehicle and engine loading, minimal towing and driven in an economical manner.
With the LongLife Service the vehicle can cover anywhere between 10,000† and a maximum of 18,000†
miles or 24 months (whichever is soonest) between oil changes. Inspection service is typically in the third
year of ownership and thereafter every second year, for vehicles with an approximate annual mileage
of 10,000 miles

As you can see they state much longer intervals between services. The dealer here may list more frequent service appointments than necessary. The choice is yours basically. Optionally you have the choice of spending $1100.00 for the first year as opposed to say $2400 for the first year.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 21st, 2011, 4:53 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:5000 mile service, kinda low though
my runs daily are north to south
ideally i think i want to test drive the tiguain diesel.
but i was hoping for a 10k service interval

given this scenario you would qualify for extended long life intervals...just need to explain this to BA and don't take no for an answer because they want to make money on your head

JETTA1000
Riding on 13's

Postby JETTA1000 » October 26th, 2011, 11:49 pm

First of all that 47mpg needs to clarified is this imperial or american unit?
on the new jetta

i think it is probaly around 42 - 43
which would be equivalent to say 7.3l/100km
or less maybe
remember if you drive moderately and do less braking you should be at these
fuel economy values
maybe that would be dependent on the oil viscosity hmm

my concern is octane of the fuel we gettin
remember this engine (1.4tsi) as well all the engines in vw range
are turbo charged or supercharged or both in this case

low octane means detonation which means premature piston damage

it would be nice to know if anyone else had the old 2006-2008 model jetta
1.4tsi and had any major problems under 70 000km or higher

the delay with the DSG i think is because of the fact there is no torque converter

and how the clutch is design to engage electronically

remember is it is manual tranny with 2 electronic clutches

try reversing up a hill
see what happens when you release the gas make sure nothing is in ur way downhill

there other things to consider

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”