TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Ae 80 2A carb replacement

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

FURIOUSBENNY
3NE 2NR for life

Ae 80 2A carb replacement

Postby FURIOUSBENNY » February 5th, 2012, 9:42 am

Okay people, I have a PAS Ae 80 with the original (from new) 2A engine in it.. The engine working real good but recently the return spring( pull back spring ) for the carb start to play d ass.

The spring get weak and the previous owner cut it to add tension but it still playing up.So i want to know what carb I can replace with or where I can get a replacement spring or carb kit?

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: Ae 80 2A carb replacement

Postby Hook » February 5th, 2012, 10:16 am

Many times it's simply wear on the butterfly valve shaft that prevents the throttle from returning to the closed position. The easiest fix is to put a stronger spring on it, but eventually this will wear as well. I was never able to find a rebuild kit that included that shaft...was always just gaskets, plunger etc.

On my ae80 I used a spring that looked like this...most auto supply places have this

FURIOUSBENNY
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FURIOUSBENNY » February 5th, 2012, 2:20 pm

Thanks for the information Hook.. I actually bought one of those replacement springs alraedy but I find they were very soft and weak compared to the original one so I took it back.. I just went to check a man with a 3 A engine, carb looks same tom my untrained eye and I checked the shaft and return spring and they work great..So I may consider taking this if I can confirm it will work..

So how did this replacement spring hold out on you carb?

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » February 5th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Worked fine since I only needed a little push again to close the valve. Car was sold with it.

toybago
3NE 2NR for life

Postby toybago » February 5th, 2012, 5:51 pm

just a lil warning though, a stronger return spring will make your ex pedal harder

toyotajumbie
Trinituner Peong
Location: GOD without man is still GOD but man without GOD is nothing

Postby toyotajumbie » February 6th, 2012, 9:24 pm

It sounds like the butterfly shaft has some wear, if the carb is working well otherwise it should be scrapped and the shaft and lower section of the carb taken to a QUALIFIED machinist who can polish the shaft and make a suitable sized bushing for it. That should solve that problem.

FURIOUSBENNY
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FURIOUSBENNY » February 8th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Oh thanks for this advice but I tested the spring itself and it really bad..The butterfly also does have some "play" but not much..Two different mechanics also told me it was ther spring after I drew that same conclusion..

FURIOUSBENNY
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FURIOUSBENNY » February 11th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Well at last I got ah "good spring".. I still want to see about the butterfly thouh, Toyotajumbie, can u recommend a good mechanist to assist me as you suggested and maybe a good old school mechanic to adjust my carb etc!

buzz
Riding on 17's

Postby buzz » February 19th, 2012, 2:14 pm

toyotajumbie wrote:It sounds like the butterfly shaft has some wear, if the carb is working well otherwise it should be scrapped and the shaft and lower section of the carb taken to a QUALIFIED machinist who can polish the shaft and make a suitable sized bushing for it. That should solve that problem.

True but IMO screw "qualified" machinist rather than a reputable machinist, because many out here are qualified yes but either lack ingenuity, patience, or simply rush your job.

OP if you're serious you can PM me and i'll give you a contact for the machinist that does my work.

When I did my 3A to 7A swap he handled all my piping work, adapter plate for fuel pump installation, TIG welded, drilled and tapped my busted sump pan, the list goes on...

FURIOUSBENNY
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FURIOUSBENNY » March 18th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the info fellars, I get thru...Working bess now...Did over the butterfly shaft and also got an original strong spring....

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”