TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: NEW VEHICLE PRICES IN TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

Postby Habit7 » March 17th, 2012, 1:35 pm

^^^all that being said, I think we are referring to 2007 Toyota Corolla from the dealership, not your Altis.

Renaldo25
Sweet on this forum

Postby Renaldo25 » March 17th, 2012, 8:07 pm

2010 more likely but i get wat crazychinee is saying boring or not they could take licks.

Renaldo25
Sweet on this forum

Postby Renaldo25 » March 17th, 2012, 8:12 pm

noobie wrote:Got some feedback on the pricing for the BMW 328i. 2.0l Turbo engine.

TT$585,000.00

:shock:

It's the same 2.0l engine in the "normal" 320, I believe the Turbo and software is just tuned differently. But the 328i does 0-60 in about 5.5seconds.

In the luxury sedan market...what can you get for 585,000?

but the beemer has more horsepower and torque than both the a6 and e250 so....

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » March 18th, 2012, 6:12 pm

crazychinee wrote:
NR8 wrote:
DSM_05 wrote:Nah, a Corolla is a separate class of fail there Stephon.......at least the Mazda 3 comes well equipped with a decent interior and ABS :lol:

The Corolla doesn't have ABS?? :shock:

A man calling a corolla fail?

My fail 2005 corolla drive through flood so high it was coming up meh windows.....thing come outa the flood, give a shake and dry off and I was safe.

When cars hit my corolla...there car needs to be repaired.

Mazda 3's drive like a fail sportscar. Just saying.

cs;b

I still have trouble paying close to/over 200k TTD for a base model Corolla with one air bag, no ABS, steel rims w/ hubcaps, and an interior which comes in ONE colour only (not even a little metal trim or woodgrain finish...NOTHING).

Again this is the new car thread.....so we talking new car prices.

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » March 19th, 2012, 6:03 am

DSM_05 wrote:
crazychinee wrote:
NR8 wrote:
DSM_05 wrote:Nah, a Corolla is a separate class of fail there Stephon.......at least the Mazda 3 comes well equipped with a decent interior and ABS :lol:

The Corolla doesn't have ABS?? :shock:

A man calling a corolla fail?

My fail 2005 corolla drive through flood so high it was coming up meh windows.....thing come outa the flood, give a shake and dry off and I was safe.

When cars hit my corolla...there car needs to be repaired.

Mazda 3's drive like a fail sportscar. Just saying.

cs;b

I still have trouble paying close to/over 200k TTD for a base model Corolla with one air bag, no ABS, steel rims w/ hubcaps, and an interior which comes in ONE colour only (not even a little metal trim or woodgrain finish...NOTHING).

Again this is the new car thread.....so we talking new car prices.

Yea, that's part of the reason I've blanked toyota and moved on.

I called once to ask about the cost of a Midspec Rav4...I almost choke @ the $350,000 price...
Same goes for the corolla. Thing is, corollas and basically all toyota vehicles outsell the competition by leaps(someone posted the local stats here a while ago).
What do you do when you're the #1 game in town? Steadily raise prices yearly...or blame it on the flood/nuclear fallout in Japan.

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » March 19th, 2012, 7:33 am

^Good point there man. And it looks like people buy the vehicle on name, rather than looking at other options. Up until the end of last year, I think the Tiida made a siolid argument based on price, and offerings (optional HID's, climate control....even woodgrain (faux) finish :lol:), all for significantly less than the Corolla.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » March 19th, 2012, 8:52 am

cerato at 180k

-17" rims
-abs with ebd and brake assist
-1.6L
-6-speed paddle shift transmission
-push button start
-speedometer with tachometer
-dual srs airbags
-fog lights
-6-speaker sterero
etc etc

Corolla at 180k

-15" steelies with wheel covers
-front and rear mud guards
-1 or 2 airbags?
-speedometer but NO tachometer LOL
-4-wheel disc brakes but no abs
-manual a/c controls
-normal ignition start
-4-speaker stereo
-1.5 engine

Corolla sells more

Why?

1) TTTL has more aggressive marketing that SS
2) Corolla has better fuel economy
3) Corolla has better resale value
4) Toyota has better brand perception than Kia

Based on those 4 points above it seems the population prefers a different type of assurance versus the fancy 17" rims and 6-speed tranny etc..

Weird but sad.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » March 19th, 2012, 9:51 am

:? "Push button start" vs. "normal turn the ignition key" is a criterion for evaluating features of a car?

That's like auto headlights and wipers. I don't need a computer to tell me when to turn on those accessories. When my vision becomes impaired, then my brain commands my hand to switch them on. Do I really need to pay for those gimmicks?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 19th, 2012, 10:04 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote::? "Push button start" vs. "normal turn the ignition key" is a criterion for evaluating features of a car?

That's like auto headlights and wipers. I don't need a computer to tell me when to turn on those accessories. When my vision becomes impaired, then my brain commands my hand to switch them on. Do I really need to pay for those gimmicks?

I wouldn't call it a gimmick if they are included with extra features at the same price vs another car with fewer/older features at the same price.

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » March 19th, 2012, 10:06 am

Yeah but it's always nice to just start and drive, you don't rely completely on auto lights and auto wipers if you don't want to, you can operate them manually if you like, but it's always a plus when rain start falling when you don't have to do anything, and when rain starts falling heavily the fog lights comes on etc.

And it's not really a gimmick if they're the same prices across the board, would u pay 210 for a fully loaded corolla, or 211 for a fully loaded Mazda or lancer? With more features?

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » March 19th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Lancer or Mazda 3....by a mile. I absolutely loathe the interior of the local new Corolla.

It just exudes "cheap".

No you don't need to pay for that. But by the same logic, why bother with power windows? Your brain could command your hand to use a manual actuator to "wind down" your windows. These are "luxury" features in essence.....not what you NEED to have, but what you'd LIKE to have.

Furthermore, the point is which of these FEATURES you get for the money.

BTW acesinghit, you orgot to mention that the Cerato has more power than the Corolla (125 hp vs 110 or so), and the 6 speed transmission is built by ZF (yep.....ZF), and it has climate control.

And yes, the base corolla @ 180k has only 1 airbag, and NO antilock brakes (fail!)

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » March 19th, 2012, 12:33 pm

DSM_05 wrote:No you don't need to pay for that. But by the same logic, why bother with power windows? Your brain could command your hand to use a manual actuator to "wind down" your windows. These are "luxury" features in essence.....not what you NEED to have, but what you'd LIKE to have.

:| Actually, the only "luxury" features I need are a/c and a radio. All the rest I can do without IF given the option. But then again, that's just me, and the local market dictates otherwise.

Renaldo25
Sweet on this forum

Postby Renaldo25 » March 19th, 2012, 1:19 pm

acesinghit wrote:cerato at 180k

-17" rims
-abs with ebd and brake assist
-1.6L
-6-speed paddle shift transmission
-push button start
-speedometer with tachometer
-dual srs airbags
-fog lights
-6-speaker sterero
etc etc

Corolla at 180k

-15" steelies with wheel covers
-front and rear mud guards
-1 or 2 airbags?
-speedometer but NO tachometer LOL
-4-wheel disc brakes but no abs
-manual a/c controls
-normal ignition start
-4-speaker stereo
-1.5 engine

Corolla sells more

Why?

1) TTTL has more aggressive marketing that SS
2) Corolla has better fuel economy
3) Corolla has better resale value
4) Toyota has better brand perception than Kia

Based on those 4 points above it seems the population prefers a different type of assurance versus the fancy 17" rims and 6-speed tranny etc..

Weird but sad.

man you hit the hail on the head so accurately. Most other cars have more features than toyota in general but as one guy said earlier corollas have been through wars and come out virtually scratch free so ppl will continue to buy them based on their reliability, whether they still working with 4 speed trannies as compared to some vehicles with 8 speeds its just the value of a good name as they say not so much the value of good value for money i guess.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » March 19th, 2012, 2:06 pm

I saw a new red corolla 1.8 and i asked the owner (just to make convo) if that is roro or special imported from tttl and he say it was a special order. He paid 260k for it which confirms the price on page 1 of this thread. This 1.8 corolla gives u leather seats, auto climate control, sunroof, side + curtain airbags, audio controls on the steering and 16" rims :lol:

the tiida hatchback with sunroof is 100k cheaper than the corolla. Now tell me what sort of engineering and value does the toyota bring to warrant such a price difference? :evil:

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » March 19th, 2012, 2:53 pm

Are you kidding me? :lol: that's real brand loyalty right there.

Just this morning my father was telling me that I'm beginning to sound like a Mazda fanboy by the way I was talking about my interest in the CX-5 and Mazda in general, but can you imagine if the Mazda 3 was priced at 260k? I can have all the money in the world and I'd never get that, I'd get the Cruze or the Jetta, it's cheaper, better, more attractive, and they're 1.8. Only thing that corolla have in the Cruze is the extra airbags. Brand loyalty is a hell of a thing.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » March 19th, 2012, 3:05 pm

i give up...RORO ftw...

ah waiting to see d 918 spyder on d road....

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » March 19th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
DSM_05 wrote:No you don't need to pay for that. But by the same logic, why bother with power windows? Your brain could command your hand to use a manual actuator to "wind down" your windows. These are "luxury" features in essence.....not what you NEED to have, but what you'd LIKE to have.

:| Actually, the only "luxury" features I need are a/c and a radio. All the rest I can do without IF given the option. But then again, that's just me, and the local market dictates otherwise.

I agree with the point of features and value for money. There was a time when there was no a/c, radio, abs, only drum brakes, etc and I'm sure customers of the day would have had the same arguments about if they were really needed. Think of it this way; you're cruising on the highway or any major road with your windows down and suddenly rain starts falling. Would you rather "rolling up" all windows from the driver console, or, having to pull aside and wind them up manually? (Because it wouldn't be safe to reach to the back windows while driving.)
Whether luxury or not, new technology not only makes cars safer, but an actual pleasure to drive.

Someone raised a point about new Corollas having higher resale value, but if you look at the local car sale sites, you would see very little interest being paid to these because of the high asking prices. Why would someone choose to pay >$125,000 for a used local Corolla when they can buy a foreign used 3-5 years old with A LOT more features at a lower price?
Also, if you just purchase a great working car with features that suits your like and satisfies you, why would you even want to resell it in the first place? :?

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » March 19th, 2012, 4:27 pm

stev wrote:
ah waiting to see d 918 spyder on d road....

x2

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » March 19th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Stephon. wrote:Are you kidding me? :lol: that's real brand loyalty right there.

Just this morning my father was telling me that I'm beginning to sound like a Mazda fanboy by the way I was talking about my interest in the CX-5 and Mazda in general, but can you imagine if the Mazda 3 was priced at 260k? I can have all the money in the world and I'd never get that, I'd get the Cruze or the Jetta, it's cheaper, better, more attractive, and they're 1.8. Only thing that corolla have in the Cruze is the extra airbags. Brand loyalty is a hell of a thing.

You think people look at other things in a vehicle other than features?
What about service? Replacement parts? You think a Euro is more or less expensive to maintain than a Corolla?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with brand loyalty.Toyota vehicles have never given me the type of headache I have gotten from Mazda or Nissan; and it's the reason why I'll never own either of those vehicles again.

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » March 19th, 2012, 7:55 pm

crazychinee wrote:
Stephon. wrote:Are you kidding me? :lol: that's real brand loyalty right there.

You think people look at other things in a vehicle other than features?
What about service? Replacement parts? You think a Euro is more or less expensive to maintain than a Corolla?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with brand loyalty.Toyota vehicles have never given me the type of headache I have gotten from Mazda or Nissan; and it's the reason why I'll never own either of those vehicles again.

That's good for you but I've owned a Suzuki before, I drive a Mazda and sometimes I drive my girlfriend's ASX currently. I have a friend with a Corolla and the servicing is more or less around the same price I was told to expect when I go for my servicing at Southern Sales. The ASX is obviously a little more to service but it's just a little more to service than my last vehicle which was a Grand Vitara (don't know how long that would last though considering the services keep getting higher, and sometimes drop)

Both my parents drive Euro vehicles which is higher to maintain but it haven't given them any real headaches either, with the exception of one that my father barely drives anymore, which he has for 5 years now that he rarely carried to service, which is a fault on his end.

The point is basically all Japanese cars in the Corolla class i.e The 3, Lancer, Civic, Bluebird etc. are more or less the same to service. Euro vehicles are another story.

I did say that I would quicker get the Cruze above that overpriced 1.8 Civic, but even that vehicle is cheaper to service than the Corolla right now seeing that Lifestyle motors have been advertising free services for the next 2 years.

Basically once you take care of your car, it's going to take care of you. Don't abuse your car and not take care of it (not saying that you do) and say that it still works because of the brand.

DSM_05
Riding on 16's

Postby DSM_05 » March 20th, 2012, 7:34 am

Basically once you take care of your car, it's going to take care of you. Don't abuse your car and not take care of it (not saying that you do) and say that it still works because of the brand.

x 1 million

noobie
Street 2NR

Postby noobie » March 20th, 2012, 9:26 am

Renaldo25 wrote: but the beemer has more horsepower and torque than both the a6 and e250 so....

Yeah, it does.

The e250 is also a totally different class of vehicle.
Added to this apparently there is a 1.8l engine in such a massive car! MB claims that it's engineered to deliver considerable power despite the size...but....

I can't see 91,000USD for a 3 series though. Waiting to see how they sell. New model is launching in July too apparently, second edition for 2013.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » March 20th, 2012, 11:18 am

Mahindra ftw. Checked out one weekend, lots of value for 160k in that pickup!

christopherwilliams2
Riding on 18's

Postby christopherwilliams2 » March 20th, 2012, 12:01 pm

aidan wrote:Mahindra ftw. Checked out one weekend, lots of value for 160k in that pickup!

diesel too!

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » March 20th, 2012, 1:14 pm

christopherwilliams2 wrote:
aidan wrote:Mahindra ftw. Checked out one weekend, lots of value for 160k in that pickup!

diesel too!

with front and rear LSD :shock:

LikaStick
Shifting into 6th

Postby LikaStick » March 20th, 2012, 1:20 pm

^ but it’s horrendously ugly…. :?

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » March 20th, 2012, 4:18 pm

aidan wrote:
christopherwilliams2 wrote:

diesel too!

with front and rear LSD :shock:

:shock: :shock:

but yeah, the looks set it back a bit :lol:

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » March 20th, 2012, 4:20 pm

What is LSD?

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » March 20th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Stephon. wrote:What is LSD?

Limited slip diff: Read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

It not that bad looking.

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » March 20th, 2012, 4:36 pm

I've seen them, they're not that ugly, just a bit different from what we're accustomed to seeing in Trinidad.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”