TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Privy Council to go

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
UML
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6584
Joined: April 9th, 2007, 11:08 pm

Privy Council to go

Postby UML » April 25th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Let the hangings begin 8-)

only one concern...political interference in the judicial system. :cry:

Advertisement
User avatar
Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9117
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby Habit7 » April 25th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Image

User avatar
UML
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6584
Joined: April 9th, 2007, 11:08 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby UML » April 25th, 2012, 7:16 pm

disappointing about the inequality in it but me eh care nah once dey hang criminals from ah side!!!

User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10286
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 25th, 2012, 7:29 pm

The govt pass the law?

User avatar
UML
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6584
Joined: April 9th, 2007, 11:08 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby UML » April 25th, 2012, 8:01 pm

nah they intend to...i think they have to get a special majority vote....so i guess we still have to wait and see.

brams112
punchin NOS
Posts: 3668
Joined: July 15th, 2008, 8:58 pm
Location: trinidad

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby brams112 » April 25th, 2012, 8:04 pm

wait nah they really going to hang?

User avatar
UML
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6584
Joined: April 9th, 2007, 11:08 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby UML » April 25th, 2012, 8:15 pm

well they trying....and they discussing the DNA Bill today as well as the bills to protect children.

brams112
punchin NOS
Posts: 3668
Joined: July 15th, 2008, 8:58 pm
Location: trinidad

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby brams112 » April 25th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Can't wait to see how bad those bad bois will be when they hear their names call for the noose.Plus it will be a deterent don't care what the opposers to the death penalty say.

User avatar
hydroep
Riding on 16's
Posts: 1181
Joined: February 4th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby hydroep » April 25th, 2012, 8:57 pm

This isn't going to happen because they need a special majority to pass the law.

While it was in opposition, the UNC gave stupid reasons for not supporting the PNM in its attempt to make the CCJ our final appellate court, so I expect the current opposition to do the same.

User avatar
hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7344
Joined: February 1st, 2007, 1:55 pm
Location: waiting....

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby hustla_ambition101 » April 25th, 2012, 9:04 pm

hydroep wrote:This isn't going to happen because they need a special majority to pass the law.

While it was in opposition, the UNC gave stupid reasons for not supporting the PNM in its attempt to make the CCJ our final appellate court, so I expect the current opposition to do the same.


The PNM has been quite supportive of the bills being brought forward by the PP especially since is the same bills the PNM presented just with a few minor changes, so although they will give them some heat for not supporting while they were in opposition i think they will support the bill...as long as it makes sense.

Look at the Dogs Bill, everybody was pushing for it to be passed and as soon as the announcement of it going to be in effect is a different story

User avatar
Hoffman
Riding on 13's
Posts: 8
Joined: April 21st, 2012, 10:28 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby Hoffman » April 25th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Appoint judges to the CCJ to reflect the racial composition of the Caribbean, not on the basis of competence. Epic.

User avatar
hydroep
Riding on 16's
Posts: 1181
Joined: February 4th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby hydroep » April 25th, 2012, 9:27 pm

hustla_ambition101 wrote:
hydroep wrote:This isn't going to happen because they need a special majority to pass the law.

While it was in opposition, the UNC gave stupid reasons for not supporting the PNM in its attempt to make the CCJ our final appellate court, so I expect the current opposition to do the same.


The PNM has been quite supportive of the bills being brought forward by the PP especially since is the same bills the PNM presented just with a few minor changes, so although they will give them some heat for not supporting while they were in opposition i think they will support the bill...as long as it makes sense.

Look at the Dogs Bill, everybody was pushing for it to be passed and as soon as the announcement of it going to be in effect is a different story


Yes I agree...to their credit the PNM has been relatively supportive of certain pieces of legislation. But I'd be surprised if they're as agreeable with respect one as important as this.

Because this law breaks the last major tie with the mother country it will be viewed as a feather in the cap of whichever administration manages to pass it. And let's be honest, history remembers the administration that passes the laws, not the opposition that helped them to do it.

It wouldn't be a smart political move for either side to help the other attain that accolade.

User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10286
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 25th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Run dem ol' crumpet-eating-tea-drinking-rotten-teeth old farts.

User avatar
eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10871
Joined: March 10th, 2006, 1:36 am
Location: hold my mule
Contact:

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby eliteauto » April 25th, 2012, 11:02 pm

Hoffman wrote:Appoint judges to the CCJ to reflect the racial composition of the Caribbean, not on the basis of competence. Epic.


seems like the current unstated Public service policy any way

User avatar
EXODUS
punchin NOS
Posts: 3241
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 5:17 pm
Location: unknown

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby EXODUS » April 25th, 2012, 11:13 pm

Image

User avatar
Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9117
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby Habit7 » April 26th, 2012, 6:20 am

A man fight up with MS Paint dey :lol:

User avatar
1UZFE
punchin NOS
Posts: 4966
Joined: May 6th, 2011, 10:55 am

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby 1UZFE » April 26th, 2012, 6:33 am

Kudos to the PM and the AG, this is a major progression in the legal fratenity of Trinidad and Tobago. Its about time someone has the ballz to deal with these touchy subjects and these complicated bills and legislature.

User avatar
Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9117
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby Habit7 » April 26th, 2012, 6:47 am

I wonder if the racist reason she didnt support it before changed?

User avatar
eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10871
Joined: March 10th, 2006, 1:36 am
Location: hold my mule
Contact:

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby eliteauto » April 26th, 2012, 9:31 am

UML wrote:Let the hangings begin 8-)

only one concern...political interference in the judicial system. :cry:


Very wrong, our beloved PM is suggesting moving criminal matters to the CCJ, most appeals to death penalty cases are in fact civil (constitutional motions etc) so that will still be dealt with by the Privy Council

User avatar
EXODUS
punchin NOS
Posts: 3241
Joined: May 8th, 2011, 5:17 pm
Location: unknown

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby EXODUS » April 26th, 2012, 9:41 am

Habit7 wrote:A man fight up with MS Paint dey :lol:


thai 1 thing me eh good at! :( :( :oops: :cry: :x

User avatar
Hoffman
Riding on 13's
Posts: 8
Joined: April 21st, 2012, 10:28 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby Hoffman » April 26th, 2012, 10:02 am

eliteauto wrote:
UML wrote:Let the hangings begin 8-)

only one concern...political interference in the judicial system. :cry:


Very wrong, our beloved PM is suggesting moving criminal matters to the CCJ, most appeals to death penalty cases are in fact civil (constitutional motions etc) so that will still be dealt with by the Privy Council


That is incorrect. If the PM's proposal is effected, our highest court of appellate jurisdiction becomes the CCJ. Thereafter there can be no appeals to the Privy Council, regardless of whether they are civil or criminal appeals. In any event, the CCJ doesn't seem anxious to hang anyone.

User avatar
eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10871
Joined: March 10th, 2006, 1:36 am
Location: hold my mule
Contact:

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby eliteauto » April 26th, 2012, 10:07 am

Hoffman wrote:
eliteauto wrote:
UML wrote:Let the hangings begin 8-)

only one concern...political interference in the judicial system. :cry:


Very wrong, our beloved PM is suggesting moving criminal matters to the CCJ, most appeals to death penalty cases are in fact civil (constitutional motions etc) so that will still be dealt with by the Privy Council


That is incorrect. If the PM's proposal is effected, our highest court of appellate jurisdiction becomes the CCJ. Thereafter there can be no appeals to the Privy Council, regardless of whether they are civil or criminal appeals. In any event, the CCJ doesn't seem anxious to hang anyone.


http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/GOO ... 89575.html
A historic move was made yesterday by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar as she announced that legislation will be brought to the Parliament to remove the British Privy Council as this country's final appellate court and replaced with the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ)—with respect to criminal matters. Civil matters will still go before the Privy Council.



comprende?

User avatar
BrotherHood
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 8187
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby BrotherHood » April 26th, 2012, 10:17 am

So why then are we breaking ties partially with the Privy Council? Either you cu all ties or don't do it at all. It's about time we become fully independent.

User avatar
Hoffman
Riding on 13's
Posts: 8
Joined: April 21st, 2012, 10:28 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby Hoffman » April 26th, 2012, 10:33 am

Acknowledged. I should have read the papers before making comment. I could not imagine that all the fuss about the removal of the privy council was based on a half way plan. I maintain that if a move is being made to abolish appeals to the privy council it should not be something done piecemeal.

User avatar
- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 8005
Joined: January 21st, 2006, 9:30 pm
Location: Chaguanas... authorised DD dealer
Contact:

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » April 26th, 2012, 10:55 am

pee en em gonna make all kinda lame excuses to not give their support .... :|

User avatar
Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9117
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby Habit7 » April 26th, 2012, 10:57 am

(...Rovin...) wrote:pee en em gonna make all kinda lame excuses to not give their support .... :|

Oh, you mean like the ones the UNC used while in opposition despite Panday first signed the agreement?

User avatar
eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10871
Joined: March 10th, 2006, 1:36 am
Location: hold my mule
Contact:

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby eliteauto » April 26th, 2012, 11:04 am

(...Rovin...) wrote:pee en em gonna make all kinda lame excuses to not give their support .... :|


http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,159109.html

LEADER of the Opposition, Dr Keith Rowley, yesterday supported moves by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to shift TT’s final appellate court in criminal cases from the UK-based Privy Council (PC) to the TT-based Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ).

He gave his response, speaking to reporters yesterday at the tea break of the Lower House sitting at Tower D of the International Waterfront Centre.

However, Rowley asked why Persad-Bissessar had not gone the whole hog and also made the CCJ the final court for civil appeals, instead of just criminal appeals.

“I’m very pleased that we are now apparently going to make one step towards the abolition of the Privy Council as a final court of appeal,” said Rowley.




and I thought vooping was only for T20 matches :|

User avatar
- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 8005
Joined: January 21st, 2006, 9:30 pm
Location: Chaguanas... authorised DD dealer
Contact:

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » April 26th, 2012, 11:11 am

well look at ting ... :shock:

didnt read d ND as yet so i now seeing that

hmm he actually agreeing with d govt & supporting something they doing ...

User avatar
Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9117
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby Habit7 » April 26th, 2012, 11:23 am

He should have done like his predecessor and oppose Chinese construction, CEPEP, excessive prime ministerial travel, major chemical plants, tax authority, CAL take over of Air J, Cuban doctors, etc for no substantive reason.

User avatar
eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10871
Joined: March 10th, 2006, 1:36 am
Location: hold my mule
Contact:

Re: Privy Council to go

Postby eliteauto » April 26th, 2012, 11:25 am

(...Rovin...) wrote:well look at ting ... :shock:

didnt read d ND as yet so i now seeing that

hmm he actually agreeing with d govt & supporting something they doing ...



but most legislation tabled by the Gov't has been supported by the Opposition

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], TrEnD$eTt@ and 12 guests