TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The new 2012 Toyota Hilux

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
gundelero
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: The new 2012 Toyota Hilux

Postby gundelero » January 14th, 2012, 5:12 pm

excellent...well said hammer.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » January 14th, 2012, 6:23 pm

To each his own.....if a review between manufactures offended some well what can I say, water it...

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » January 15th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Everyone buys what they want and for their own reasons.
I just hope it's for the right reasons.

No offense meant or taken, just that I feel strongly for my own reasons just as any other guy for theirs when it comes to outfitting their trucks. I've had plenty folks ask me why I taking an expensive van and throwing it in the mud, but I have my own reasons for it.

Never said I didn't like the hilux, it's a great truck IMO. When tastefully equipped, it looks pretty good.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » January 16th, 2012, 9:13 am

very good writeup lighthammer. Couldn't say it better than myself. I don't really understand why people idolise toyota but in trinidad it is the best in class for resale value.

I always advise people to buy a toyota, hell i used to own one and if they wasn't so damn expensive i would of bought one.

but really and truely - 300K is too much for a pickup - even the new rangers coming out is way too expensive

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » January 17th, 2012, 12:03 pm

too expensive.... way too expensive.

But for the lucky few who could afford it, good for you.\
Just please keep the chrome to a minimum :)

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » January 19th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Anbody got this month issue of top gear's magazine as yet? if u did, you would notice a pretty long article on how great toyota did in 2011, also there's a review of the 2012 hilux which was good as expected also there was a short write up on it also which i would post below.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » January 21st, 2012, 1:29 am

".. the navara is so huge...."

Yeah.

8-)

leelad
3NE 2NR for life

Re: The new 2012 Toyota Hilux??

Postby leelad » April 27th, 2012, 12:32 am

Hey all,

My old man finally got his lux delivered from TTTL after almost 5 or 6 months waiting. Crappy timing, I know right, his lux was "delayed" 3 times during the wait, but all in all he's happy that it finally came home.

What I'm really posting for is to get some info, you see I've been playing around with it, and I cant seem to find the differential lock toggle switch/button thingy.

According to the users manual it's supposed to be on the lower right of the dashboard, right next to the rear-view mirror adjustment. Guess what it's not there, and I cant seem to find it. And yes the sales rep reassured us that the van came equipped with lsd and a locking rear differential it's even in writing on the invoice.

Anyone with info cud point me to where this magic button is located, cus right about now I'm thinking about jacking up the rear, and seeing if the wheels spin together or not(lsd??).

Ps,
Sorry for dragging on, looks kinda long now that I'm done.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » April 27th, 2012, 5:52 am

If I was you , I would take it back to the firm and ask them to show you where the button is , and if there isnt a button make them prove to you that you have locking diff

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 27th, 2012, 8:36 am

leelad wrote:Hey all,

My old man finally got his lux delivered from TTTL after almost 5 or 6 months waiting. Crappy timing, I know right, his lux was "delayed" 3 times during the wait, but all in all he's happy that it finally came home.

What I'm really posting for is to get some info, you see I've been playing around with it, and I cant seem to find the differential lock toggle switch/button thingy.

According to the users manual it's supposed to be on the lower right of the dashboard, right next to the rear-view mirror adjustment. Guess what it's not there, and I cant seem to find it. And yes the sales rep reassured us that the van came equipped with lsd and a locking rear differential it's even in writing on the invoice.

Anyone with info cud point me to where this magic button is located, cus right about now I'm thinking about jacking up the rear, and seeing if the wheels spin together or not(lsd??).

Ps,

Tell your dad congrats on buying a great truck, I'm sure he will enjoy it and will take good care of it. THe hilux is a fine truck, I've driven it myself and I found the ride to be nice and smooth, very refined compared to other trucks out there. Not the most powerful out of the bunch, but still adequate for most users (not everyone gonna be hauling loads or going offroading - more and more people are using pickups as they would SUV's because they're cheaper - relatively....).

As for your locking differential - that sales rep in toyota don't know what they talking about.
None of the Thailand-made models of Hilux and Hilux Vigo editions ever came with a LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL.
They do however, come with an LSD in the rear diff - a "Limited Slip Differential".

Basically, an LSD allows for a little bit of wheelspin on the outside wheel during cornering before partially locking up the rear differential, thus giving you more power and traction on the inside wheel, enabling you to corner better. Works also in off-roading, where a spinning wheel gets all the power but the stuck wheel doesn't - the LSD will eventually partially lock up the diff and return power to the stuck wheel, hopefully giving you back forward momentum and getting you out of the rut.

A Locking Differential will lock the rear diff totally when activated, so that both wheels will spin at the same speed with equal amounts of power. Best used in off-roading situations, where one wheel is again stuck and the other is free-spinning. The locking diff will force the stuck-wheel to spin too - thus giving forward propulsion and getting you out, hopefully. This has almost no place on tarmac and paved roads, because since both wheels are spinning at the same speed, taking a corner means your wheel hubs and diff will be damaged.

I guarantee you man, the hilux DOES NOT come with a locking differential. Yes the salesperson may try to bullsh!t you about how an LSD is still a locking differential, but in technical terms, they are two different types of modules. In your case, the salesperson insisted that the hilux has BOTH an LSD and locking differential - which is completely wrong. I'm fairly sure they have NO idea what they're talking about, and that they don't even know what an LSD or Locking Diff does, how to use it, and when to use it.

So please be firm but polite with the salesperson and ask them to either learn more about what they're selling, or stop falsely advertising - either way they're making themselves look stupid and embarrassing themselves.

So again, congrats to you and your dad, enjoy that hilux and what it's fully worth.
And when your're ready to do some offroading, come join Side B on a run, we'll show you exactly what that Hilux is capable of doing!

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » April 27th, 2012, 8:56 am

If you have it in writing that you have lockable diffs and then it is shown you don't - you should sue Toyota for false advertising and get some free stuff for your time wastage.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 27th, 2012, 9:18 am

Nah he'll get an official letter of apology from the Sales Manager, stating some bullsh!t about a mixup in specifications between our Hilux and the ones in other countries eg. Europe. Not one thing about compensating the customer, not one thing about "oops we fcked up" or anything like that. Just one simple, patronizing and slightly condescending letter that they give to every customer who has an issue, that his secretary simply copy/pastes his signature onto it then prints it on the company shared printer..... The manager won't even see the letter, it's the secretary who takes care of it. When they come back from lunch, all they'll say is "did you send the letter to that annoying customer?" "Yes sir".. "ok good"... and he goes back to figuring out which school he wants to send his child to after SEA, signing a couple papers and then talking b/s with his friends on the company cellphone.

THis is how that letter will go:

Dear Customer _______,

Thank you for choosing one of the premier brands of Trinidad & Tobago. Congratulations on your purchase of a brand new Toyota Hilux! You will be quite pleased with your purchase and are guaranteed to see years of service and reliability from this fine vehicle.

As one of the top dealerships in Trinidad & Tobago, Toyota Trinidad & Tobago Limited is pleased to offer you top-of-the-line service and reliability. As part of our initiative to provide the utmost in customer care and service, we strive to fulfill all customer needs and specifications.

As such, we humbly apologize for any misrepresentation of information about your purchased vehicle. Toyota is a brand that spans worldwide regions, as such it may at time be difficult to accrue proper information between specific regions when it comes to displaying certain features as these may be region specific and unfortunately with some vehicles, a few features may not apply to our region.

However be rest assured that Toyota Trinidad & Tobago Limited will always strive to provide you with excellent service and the most up-to-date information about every vehicle that is purchased at our dealership.

With that, we thank you again for your patronage and look forward to providing you with the the highest quality care and service.

Congratulations!

Sincerely,
Mr Manager-who-doesn't-give-a-fcuk-about-common-people-asking-stupid-questions-nor-about-incompetent-employees-come-let's-go-eat-lunch-at-ruby-tuesdays-in-grand-bazaar-it-right-down-the-road-we-can-take-the-company-FJ-Cruiser-and-let-the-common-people-gape-at-it.

[/endrant]

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » April 27th, 2012, 2:34 pm

leelad wrote:Hey all,

Ps,

TTTL don't bring the hilux with the locking rear diff, never seen one or heard of it. However the most expensive models come with Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and cruise control. I remember saying previously tht TTTL sales representatives are the worst ppl to find out particular info about a vehicle, especially if it's a new vehicle coming out. If you have it in wiriting take some form of action, toyota is very concern with customer satisfaction so you should be rewarded accordingly. If not you could always take up matters with Toyota in Japan!

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Postby tourniquet » April 27th, 2012, 3:54 pm

civic minded wrote:If you have it in writing that you have lockable diffs and then it is shown you don't - you should sue Toyota for false advertising and get some free stuff for your time wastage.

this :!: or at least demand a discount or extended service/ warranty from them. If both LSD and locking diffs are on the invoice, then that's what was sold, and your pops paid for, since it's not there, that's not the vehicle you purchased. I'd try and take this as far as you can, and not just let it slide by.

Keep us updated though.

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » April 27th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Don't accept no damn letter - tell them you want it installed and demand that they take it to James Moseley and have Lockable diffs installed!

leelad
3NE 2NR for life

Postby leelad » April 27th, 2012, 6:47 pm

me again,

I've read through all of your posts, and really do wish to thank you all for the swift reply.

Advised pops about all what was posted, and he took it into consideration. He's decided to call or go in to talk with a manger; he's already talked to one of the sales managers wrt the delays in delivery of his vehicle, and got some pretty cool freebies, tray liner, 1000km&5000km services, and a slightly better price.

If all fails locally it's to toyota japan, then to the court :?

This really sucks because the locking differential was literally the tipping point of the sale, was scoping out the nissan and ford around the time he paid down on it. But we stuck with the toyota because we're partial to the brand and it had relatively good equipment.

Hopefully I'll join you all on a mud run sometime, when the newness wears off a little; dint buy it to cruise around and crims down after all, bought it as a working vehicle. I would feel hard to be the first to rough it up, most i did so far was cross a ditch and drive through a couple gravel tracks, not sure what dad with it though, he brought it home with some mud under the fenders and was talking how it had sooo much more power than his oleeee hilux lol...

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » April 28th, 2012, 8:41 am

leelad wrote:not sure what dad with it though, he brought it home with some mud under the fenders

You dad is cool.
Heh heh heh.

eltoro
Street 2NR

Postby eltoro » April 30th, 2012, 11:27 pm

You guys actually expect the sales people & manger at Toyota Trinidad to know what a diff-locker is?

leelad
3NE 2NR for life

Postby leelad » May 1st, 2012, 11:07 pm

We expect to get what we paid for, contacted the sales rep and he insisted it has a lockable diff which comes in when the van is placed into 4wd :? talked to a technician same day and he said they aren't equipped with differential locks. Lesson learned sales reps at TTTL specifically the one dad dealt with don't know squat, and are just out to make a quick sale.....

Anyhowwwww the car works great, and dad's happy with his purchase except for that one big missing feature, and looking forward to a long lasting, faithful vehicle.

bt50
Sweet on this forum

Postby bt50 » May 5th, 2012, 11:09 am

So just went Toyota to buy a part and came across a hilux that is going for $350k. Diesel and CNG.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » May 5th, 2012, 7:56 pm

u sure it aint gas?

bt50
Sweet on this forum

Postby bt50 » May 7th, 2012, 8:12 am

nope CNG.....

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 24th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Narend over at Zorce had a Pre-Runner 4x2 Diesel + CNG to test drive for 10 days.
We used it the week before the Meguiar's car show and it's diesel with CNG. Because there are no spark plugs, it still needs to use diesel when running on CNG - look out for a report on how well the CNG works in the next issue of Zorce Magazine.

As most of you know the 2012 HILUX is in the showroom at Toyota Trinidad in Barataria.
Check this link for more
http://www.trinituner.com/v3/2012/05/22/2012-hilux/

Also Toyota is having their Open House this weekend
toyota-open-house2012.jpg

They will have all the models on display.

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » May 25th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Narend over at Zorce had a Pre-Runner 4x2 Diesel + CNG to test drive for 10 days.
We used it the week before the Meguiar's car show and it's diesel with CNG. Because there are no spark plugs, it still needs to use diesel when running on CNG - look out for a report on how well the CNG works in the next issue of Zorce Magazine.

As most of you know the 2012 HILUX is in the showroom at Toyota Trinidad in Barataria.
Check this link for more
http://www.trinituner.com/v3/2012/05/22/2012-hilux/

Also Toyota is having their Open House this weekend
toyota-open-house2012.jpg

They will have all the models on display.

had a small drive in one myself, except it was a sportero at m rampersad. very interesting setup. nice option

tamran ball
Riding on 13's

Postby tamran ball » June 25th, 2012, 12:04 pm

wheeys sah....i now buy one of dem 291k 2012 hilux , but after reading this thread,i feel i shoulda buy ah evo x instead yes. had a 08 3.0 4x4 hilux before,was thinking bout the evo eh,but i say the hilux woulda be a more practical vehicle for everyday use and its brand new too. hmmmm

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » June 25th, 2012, 3:17 pm

i say the hilux woulda be a more practical vehicle for everyday use and its brand new too.

^^ this makes 100% sense.
Congratulations on a great buy, you won't be disappointed. You have a great truck which would last you longer and be more reliable than a sports car.

Evo X would cost MUCH more to run and maintain than a diesel pickup truck.

Keep on truckin'!

Jeremy Mohd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Jeremy Mohd » June 25th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Leo, that letter yo.. LOLLL..

But seriouly, you said tis on the invoice - thats black and white, thats something they charged you for and by you paying you agreed to that contract.

I am SURE you can fight them, or better yet, let them know you're going to fight them publicly, and get a free Yaris.

Slimklim
Ricer

Postby Slimklim » June 26th, 2012, 9:06 pm

I finally got my Hilux 3.0 A/T,totally different driving experience than the K34 L200 Bushi.any advice on this vehicle would be greatly appreciated.thanks

tamran ball
Riding on 13's

Postby tamran ball » June 26th, 2012, 9:34 pm

^^^^^ you buy at TTTL ? i looking for a decent tray cover , and does the van need a turbo timer ? the mech @ toyota said i dont need one.

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » June 27th, 2012, 8:42 am

SlimKlim just don't run the tank to empty and watch where you full diesel. UniPet now coming with double filtration which is a plus.

Tamran Ball ... it's a preference. I had one in my SR5 and never used it. If you decide not to go with it, just be mindful whenever you pull off the highway, don't immediately turn the engine off. Give it 30 seconds to cool down before switching off.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”