TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Help needed 7age 20v project

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » April 17th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Help needed, my mechanic vex cause I didnt buy his engine so i guess i am on my on. Have anyone here ever attempted to put a 20v head on a 7a bottom half. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I think I want to do it myself though. I also would like to build it completly off the car so I would need a preferably 20v blacktop head to do this.

My main questions are like which pistons do I use the 7A or the 20V and what timing belt to use and where do I get it. If I decide to supercharge later, do I just put in the 20v internals in the 7a block??????????????

slypher
Street 2NR

Re: Help needed 7age 20v project

Postby slypher » April 18th, 2012, 12:43 am

hope this helps amigo
http://www.aeu86.org/index/engine-4age- ... post=60902

benz timing belt works also...not sure of model.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 18th, 2012, 9:00 am

then change your mechanic.
It have no pardner thing in business yunno.

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » April 18th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Thx a lot slypher, today I took the head off from the 7A. It's good but not great so I am thinking about taking it to the machine shop and having it polished or horned out??? But if I do this there is the question of new rings which you just cannot get in Trinidad. I searched before hand. I have been searching for my mechanic for a while now cause I decided to go with this build. You cant even get bearings. Also I have been told by someone who tried this build and they said that the connecting rods usually comes through the block once you dont upgrade the connecting rod and main bearing bolts. Something to ponder about.
Also I still have to get some throttle bodies/ intakes and black top cams.

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » April 25th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Whey, I only realised that my head gasket is blown. It's been blown for quite a while now. I knew that something was not 100% but I always tell myself that the exact problem will show up eventually. I am still able to go anywhere though. So do I push to do the project engine or do I just change the head gasket???? Hmmmm

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » April 26th, 2012, 6:59 am

Who's been feeding you this information about the unavailability of rings and bearings and parts flying thru your block??

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » April 26th, 2012, 11:01 am

A guy who isnt on tuner, I am supposed to et a black top head complete from him on saturday morning. If anyone here has a black top head complete I am intrested. pm me ur price. He said he tried it all. But when I tell guys my intent with it they hesitant to sell. Is ok to get a lil licks, lol. :lol:
He has lots of parts from past projects.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » April 26th, 2012, 11:15 am

Either he was shopping in all the wrong places or he wants to discourage you.
yuh stick tho...I sold a BT head with cams for $100 (yes, a hundred dollars) a couple weeks ago cuz I wanted it out mih yard...say wha...

Anything you can think of doing with a 20V has been done before BTW, so do your research online, get out your verniers to measure sheit, cross-reference sizes with compatible parts from other engines and get part numbers. Lots of stuff available from TTTL if you know part numbers. They'll surprise you on the prices of a couple things too.
Full rebuild on my silvertop 20V and the only thing I went overseas for was to Nassco in B'dos to save $1000 on an oil pump...used that savings to buy compression rings from TTTL. You're not the first person on planet Earth to attempt this, so don't let ppl discourage you.

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » April 26th, 2012, 12:44 pm

I paid $200 for a silver head and pistons but didnt get intake but I will keep it for parts. I want at least black top cams.

firehead..
3NE 2NR for life

Postby firehead.. » April 27th, 2012, 12:52 am

Hook is right. Sumtimes you need to do your own research and dont jus depend on what people tell you. For instance just as an example, everyone i went to said i needed to change my entire subframe, steering rack, cradle arms & shocks to convert my superstrut suspension to macfarson strut. I decided to try an do this on my own. Guess what, Subframe was the same as the macfarson & steering rack didnt even have to change. Everything lined up. Am jus using this as an example. Saved me sum cash.

As for your 7age i say take Hook advice.

An hold that for sum encouragement..lol..7AGTE
21310560070_large.jpg
21310560070_large.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 7772 times

check out the full build here & im also sure u can find sum additional info on that site. Dem fellas there real helful.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/AE111_Forum/topic/131181/1/#new

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » April 27th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Thanks firehead for the support, but I cant see the link u posted cause I have to register with the site. I downloaded the repair manual for the 20v and yesterday I went and bought a torque wrench, however I am a bit stuck cause I still need a few new tools to do the job. I need a puller and a 1/4'' drive socket set. I may even need a punch tool kit and extractor bits in case anything pops on the way out. I also managed to scrap out a lot of the engine so far as the head gasket is blown, but I have not decided yet weather to put in the 7a block one time. And I dont have a hoist to do this kind of lifting.

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » April 30th, 2012, 9:41 am

Got a black top head last night, it;s scrapped and had to be put together. paid a lot for it too, but it makes the project more interesting I guess. I got a 5A flywheel pressure plate and clutch disc day before. I think that I will send it off to the machine shop to be lightened cause its ridiculously thick and heavy for nothing. I want to change the valve seals one time and does anyone know where I can get a porsche 944 timing belt locally. Its 117 teeth, 43.88 inches long.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » April 30th, 2012, 10:29 am

not locally... on amazon...117 teeth, 1114.5mm (43.88in)...doh worry, you have time

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-T107-Timing ... 369&sr=8-1

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » May 8th, 2012, 9:20 am

I pulled off my head and put it back on three times in five days. And wasn't the head, valves, valve seals nothing like that. Is my ecu playing the arse!!!!! Right now at low rpm only I sounding like a Subaru.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » May 9th, 2012, 12:30 am

over fueling?
i sounded like that when i had 460cc injectors on the 4EFTE ECU without managment

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » May 10th, 2012, 6:10 am

I not smoking black or anything like that. Is more like the spark plugs firing out of time. I think is more like faulty components on the pcb.
With the increase in power and the 17's clutch slipping. My choice ACT street and strip. Will deal with the Subaru sounding engine later.....

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » May 12th, 2012, 9:35 am

Tried a different brain yesterday. worked fine!
???????????????

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 19th, 2012, 1:03 pm

count yourself lucky you can't see the link he posted. Sometimes toyota men thinking does real make me scratch my head in amazement yes. Man do a ton of modifications and then use OEM blacktop cams after all that. smh. If you plan on boosting a blacktop and making sense while you're at it then you HAVE to change the camshafts, the injectors, the map sensor, and you must get a good aftermarket tuneable ECU(6D mapping capability preferred.) This is an over simplified version of what is required but i'm leaving it like that just so you can easily identify the things that go hand in hand with significant results in terms of power output. Reliability upgrades will include things like the fuel pump, pistons, rods, bearings, oil pump, water pump, radiator with additional coolant capacity etc. but these are not the necessities for making power. I would recommend a 7AFE project if you've squeezed out consistent 11 second passes from the 20V block or you can't go further with it on the dyno and you don't want to switch to a higher platform like the 3SGTE.

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 19th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Hook wrote:Either he was shopping in all the wrong places or he wants to discourage you.
yuh stick tho...I sold a BT head with cams for $100 (yes, a hundred dollars) a couple weeks ago cuz I wanted it out mih yard...say wha...

Anything you can think of doing with a 20V has been done before BTW, so do your research online, get out your verniers to measure sheit, cross-reference sizes with compatible parts from other engines and get part numbers. Lots of stuff available from TTTL if you know part numbers. They'll surprise you on the prices of a couple things too.
Full rebuild on my silvertop 20V and the only thing I went overseas for was to Nassco in B'dos to save $1000 on an oil pump...used that savings to buy compression rings from TTTL. You're not the first person on planet Earth to attempt this, so don't let ppl discourage you.

Golden advice! Take it!
just a tip when calling TTTL for parts and price quotes or even going in person it helps tremendously if you get the frame number and model number of the car that the engine originally came in because that takes out all the guess work when pulling up part numbers for your application. Start compiling a list of them.

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » May 22nd, 2012, 11:31 am

I dont want to boost at all. I dont think its for me. The parts list for that just gets too ling and expensive. I like a good working N/A engine. If anything breaks, I dont have to import parts and it is within reach of my pocket to repair. I have heard of stories of 3S turbo's and 20v turbo's that just cant be beat on the tracks and on the streets, but owners had to sell out for financial reasons. When a part broke, it literally broke their pockets each and every time. I dont want to be in that lot at all. If money wasnt an issue we would of been driving BMW's and Porschas.
Anyways I need to get 1 more part to try out my new timing belt. There is a gear under the # 1 timing belt cover which turns and rotates on the crank shaft itself. It has the grooves for the timing belt. Anyone who has a bottom half who have spun a bearing or something to that extent. I am liiking for that part, Thx.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » May 22nd, 2012, 11:56 am

Hook wrote:Same gear as this.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=312815&hilit=timing+gear&start=60

dmitc wrote:Genuine 20V 4A-GE crankshaft timing gear (NEW)
ideal for anyone who damaged their's changing the crank seal (it happens)
$330 firm (cost price) I ordered 2 so as to get it as fast as possible.
DSC01916.JPG

689-3326

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 22nd, 2012, 6:41 pm

Bigmanbandy wrote:I dont want to boost at all. I dont think its for me. The parts list for that just gets too ling and expensive. I like a good working N/A engine. If anything breaks, I dont have to import parts and it is within reach of my pocket to repair.

If it is safe to assume that you are speaking about the 4A-GE 20 valve engine then I can safely assume that you have never purchased a single new engine part for your car and you are always lucky to find foreign used (bamboo) replacement parts when anything breaks.
By my estimation it is at least 10 times cheaper to turbocharge a 20 valve blacktop engine than to go the distance with N/A aftermarket performance parts/tuning.

new gt
Street 2NR

Postby new gt » May 22nd, 2012, 8:33 pm

why u beating up on the man all he lokin for is parts

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 22nd, 2012, 8:38 pm

yeah when I read it over it does sound kind of mean lol No harm intended it's just the way I communicate. I was trying to STRONGLY emphasize how expensive oem toyota parts are and even worse aftermarket N/A tuning parts. It's sickeningly expensive really.

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » May 23rd, 2012, 8:49 pm

TESTED performance wrote:
Bigmanbandy wrote:I dont want to boost at all. I dont think its for me. The parts list for that just gets too ling and expensive. I like a good working N/A engine. If anything breaks, I dont have to import parts and it is within reach of my pocket to repair.

If it is safe to assume that you are speaking about the 4A-GE 20 valve engine then I can safely assume that you have never purchased a single new engine part for your car and you are always lucky to find foreign used (bamboo) replacement parts when anything breaks.
By my estimation it is at least 10 times cheaper to turbocharge a 20 valve blacktop engine than to go the distance with N/A aftermarket performance parts/tuning.

Making assumptions can be a bit dangerous especially if you dont know me or have never spoken to me directly. For example I can assume that you are a bastard child and that ur mother came to this island through the back door and that she worked in a building in a back street in Vistabella, and that's how you were born.
You see my car is a bit unique and I have to go to toyota for even the most common parts that well are supposed to be common. But then that what happens when you assume too much.
Bess price in the pulley cause a man tell me $400 for a used one. Most times you come out better when you buy new cause of the ole time stigma of pricey parts from ttl. For my disc brakes in the rear my cables went bad, (well one of them anyways) and i was told of a place in POS that repairs cables. I went in search of them and found them. Luckily for me I called ttl before I went cause I put $300 again and bought myself a new pair of handbrake cables.

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 23rd, 2012, 10:18 pm

you know at first i read your post and was going to respond accordingly but I realize that ignorance begets stupidity. So I chose to try to get my point across tastefully. I don't see how my childhood and my mother is relevant to N/A or Turbo tuning or the expense of parts relating to both. But upon reading your signature I guess you're just naturally stupid because if the example you are using to validate your opinion on staying with the N/A platform is the cost of a handbrake cable or a pulley that is shared equally by both platforms then all I can say to you is hats off buddy. I am sure Toyota would have charged a ton more for a Turbo handbrake cable for your car. It is because of people like you that the hulk has anger management issues!

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » May 23rd, 2012, 11:07 pm

c'mon now, play nice...

Bigmanbandy
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Bigmanbandy » May 24th, 2012, 10:11 am

TESTED performance wrote:count yourself lucky you can't see the link he posted. Sometimes toyota men thinking does real make me scratch my head in amazement yes. Man do a ton of modifications and then use OEM blacktop cams after all that. smh. If you plan on boosting a blacktop and making sense while you're at it then you HAVE to change the camshafts, the injectors, the map sensor, and you must get a good aftermarket tuneable ECU(6D mapping capability preferred.) This is an over simplified version of what is required but i'm leaving it like that just so you can easily identify the things that go hand in hand with significant results in terms of power output. Reliability upgrades will include things like the fuel pump, pistons, rods, bearings, oil pump, water pump, radiator with additional coolant capacity etc. but these are not the necessities for making power. I would recommend a 7AFE project if you've squeezed out consistent 11 second passes from the 20V block or you can't go further with it on the dyno and you don't want to switch to a higher platform like the 3SGTE.

You have shown that being able to read and being able to comprehend is as far as the east is from the west. And I quote you "Man do a ton of modifications." Last time I checked I am building an engine on the ground, what ton of modification is that? You come and insult toyota men all over the world who do this build for whatever their reasons, it's our build (http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=98269). Then you list the obvious upgrades that almost everyone here already knows, then you give ur big recommendation. News flash, post reads 7age 20v project, not what engine to work with, and how to pimp it out. The decision has already been made. Not mention you only recommend turbo charging after I specifically mentioned that I do not wish to go that way. So since comprehension is not so common, I had to break it down for you.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » May 24th, 2012, 10:20 am

Hook wrote:c'mon now, play nice...

secret_service
3NE 2NR for life

Postby secret_service » May 24th, 2012, 10:50 am

dont know why but every time this guy makes a post it always descends into name calling and who smarter an what not.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”