Forums

Things people do that Ruin a Car.

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » June 24th, 2012, 8:44 pm

repostamente??...i'm sure. Consider it a PSA.

Not Using The Parking Brake

It’s a little pedal near your left leg, or a lever on your right. Yes, that mysterious device that you’ve never used is actually valuable. When you park on an incline, or even on fairly steady ground, without using the parking brake, you’re putting all of the stress of the car on your transmission. The only thing inside that transmission holding your car steady is a little pin called a parking pawl. By using the parking brake, you lock up the non-drive wheels as well as the drive wheels and take the stress off of the transmission. It’ll add years of life to your cars transmission. Just remember to disengage it before you start driving again.

Not Coming To A Complete Stop Before Shifting

So you’re in a rush, and you pull out of a parking space and shift into drive while the car is still coasting backwards. You’ve just added months of wear to your transmission in seconds. Inside your transmission is a complex set of gears, when you shift without stopping like that, you’re asking those gears to work as your brakes, which puts an amazing amount of stress on such a small area. You can also damage your drive shafts, the things that send power to the wheels, by shifting that way. After a while, it’ll lead to sloppy suspension handling, and a worn out transmission.

Riding The Brakes Down A Hill

If you are driving on a hill that goes on for a while, you’ll want to avoid riding the brake the whole time. Alternate between braking and letting off the brake so you don’t heat up and wear out your brake pads. It’s a common mistake, because it feels like the safest way to maneuver down a hill, but if the hill is sufficiently long, you can end up almost totally wearing out your pads, since as they heat up, they wear faster.

Forgetting To Change The Oil DuHH

You need to change your oil every 5,000 miles at the most. That’s really all there is to it. I actually read a blog online that said you can wait until your oil light comes on to change your oil. I’ve worked in the automotive business… by the time your oil light comes on, the oil inside your engine has turned into jet black molasses and is of no use to your engine. In the short term, I suppose it’s not that important, but more frequent changes can actually double the life of your car and greatly increase its performance.

Pressure Washing The Engine

I can respect a person’s desire to want a clean engine. It gets grimy under there and a guy with a pressure washer is a dangerous thing for grime – you want to point it at anything even slightly dirty. But a grimy engine that runs right is better than a clean engine that doesn’t run at all. And if you spray a high powered jet of water around rubber seals and hoses and electrical bits, you’re bound to dislodge something important. A modern engine is a complex thing, all manner of sensors and wiring harnesses and components, and it’s no place for a jet of high pressure water. A regular garden hose is OK if you want to wash it down, just be careful with the high pressure business.

Starting Your Car The Wrong Way

It seems simple, but you can make a big difference by turning off your radio, wipers, climate control, all of those accessories, when you start the car. Most of the wear on the engine happens when you start the car, and by turning off those accessories, your engine doesn’t have to work as hard when starting.

Another thing people do is revving the engine in the winter. This actually doesn’t help “warm up” the car. Although it does technically make the engine hotter, it’s not the kind of “warming up” that you want. Revving your engine in the winter causes extreme temperature changes right away, which is actually the opposite of what you want. When you start the car, the oil hasn’t yet worked its way through the system, so the engine is working without lubricant. The right way to do it is just let the car sit and idle for about 30 seconds to a minute at the least.

Ignoring Your Car’s Sounds

Every sound your car makes means something, if you pay attention, your car can usually tell you exactly what needs fixing. Those squeaking brakes mean you need new pads, and if you ignore that sound, eventually you’ll hear scraping metal, which means you need new rotors, and if you ignore that, you’ll eventually hear the sound of your own scream as you lose your brakes completely and fly off a cliff in a spectacular fireball of death. It’s more common than you think. Listen to your car.

Letting The Interior Go

You’re in a rush again, and you eat most of your disgusting egg and cheese bagel, and toss the rest in the wrapper on the passenger seat. Lovely. You know who you are, your car is filthy, never been vacuumed, 15 air fresheners hang on the mirror, and yet, no air freshener made by mortal man can stop the sickening wind within your car. You need to clean it. If you don’t vacuum your carpets and clean out the garbage every so often, you’ll develop a smell that is impossible to destroy. I’ve worked in the auto salvage business, and I know that there exist smells that are so obscene, so inhuman, that no shampoo can vanquish them. The only way to stop them is to never let them develop. Clean your car, for the sake of all mankind.

Running Your Car Down To Empty

There’s actually a bit of a debate about this one. The old wisdom says if your car gets down to E, the sediment in your tank will get sucked into the system and foul your fuel injectors. Although some mechanics says thats not true. Either way, running down to E does pose other problems. You cut the life of the fuel pump considerably, since the fuel actually cools the pump.

An interesting note: Most cars can drive another 60 miles+ after they hit Empty, automakers call this extra gas the “buffer zone”. US cars have the largest “buffer zone” of any vehicles. German drivers, for instance, like to know exactly how much gas in is the car, so their “buffer zone” between the gauge’s E and the actual empty tank is much smaller.

Driving Past Attractive Women

This is a common mistake, especially among younger male drivers. Attractive women can be incredibly damaging to your vehicle, they can cause the driver to install bizarre over-sized woofers or 22 inch rims, or even spontaneously crash the car into a nearby tree or telephone pole. When you’re driving, be careful to avoid swimming pools, beaches, college campuses, anyplace where beautiful girls assemble in any significant numbers. Your car will thank you.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Things people do that Ruin a Car.

Postby Rory Phoulorie » June 24th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Why isn't "Bulling in a Car" on that list?

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » June 24th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:Why isn't "Bulling in a Car" on that list?

that wouldnt be there because it adds valuue to the car :lol:

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 24th, 2012, 9:02 pm

nice read.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » June 24th, 2012, 9:42 pm

i dont do any of those things.
i cant imagine not pulling up handbrakes on an incline or shifting while car is moving. thats madness oui.

something to add:
washing car with squeezy

turbo_beast369
Riding on 18's

Postby turbo_beast369 » June 24th, 2012, 9:56 pm

^^^what wrong with squeezy?

eurotuner
12 pounds of Boost

Postby eurotuner » June 24th, 2012, 9:58 pm

cant lie....relllllllll bull in my last car...... reason it was written off
I gud now :D

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » June 24th, 2012, 10:11 pm

turbo_beast369 wrote:^^^what wrong with squeezy?

dude, u serious?

:lol:

it strips wax, makes ur car look old after a whole.

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Postby BrotherHood » June 24th, 2012, 10:39 pm

Squeezy slowly destroys the clear coat on a car.
Turtle Wax Car Wash ftw.

eurotuner wrote:cant lie....relllllllll bull in my last car...... reason it was written off

Does this really 'blite' a car? :lol:

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » June 24th, 2012, 10:40 pm

Team Loco wrote:

nope it doesnt....just ask Hook...

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 24th, 2012, 10:44 pm

BrotherHood wrote:

Turtle Wax Car Wash ftw.

eurotuner wrote:cant lie....relllllllll bull in my last car...... reason it was written off

try n tell we nah,I giving u ah few wks... :lol: :lol:

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » June 24th, 2012, 10:46 pm

S_2NR wrote:

dude, u serious?

it strips wax, makes ur car look old after a whole.

x100

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » June 24th, 2012, 11:04 pm

BrotherHood wrote:

Turtle Wax Car Wash ftw.

so no clear coat......... no care. right?

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Bringing HID & LED to a location near you! 355-3165. 704-5442 (WhatsApp).

Postby BrotherHood » June 24th, 2012, 11:04 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
BrotherHood wrote:

Turtle Wax Car Wash ftw.

1st car, didn't bull in it and dat clean away ah lampost like it was never there on the Solomon Hochoy Highway.
Present car, bull in it. Some days after HID's stop working and couple weeks after ah man run into the car then bawl i driving too fast. thought i wudda boil down, hit him 2 good cuff before witnesses separated us.

BrotherHood
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby BrotherHood » June 24th, 2012, 11:07 pm

wagonrunner wrote:
BrotherHood wrote:

Turtle Wax Car Wash ftw.

so no clear coat......... no care. right?

that's right!

sharkman121
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sharkman121 » June 24th, 2012, 11:40 pm

Alyuh still with this bullin in car myth?

lostallos101
Riding on 18's

Postby lostallos101 » June 25th, 2012, 1:31 am

hmmm didnt know bout d radio thing....everything else i doh do

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » June 25th, 2012, 5:50 am

thelem wrote:nice read. wrong forum. things to include are

big spoilers
oversized rims
fugly stickers
colored hids
knight rider lights
big mufflers
speakers in your backseat and headrest

So yuh sayin trini's on the whole?

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » June 25th, 2012, 6:31 am

*$kїđž!™ wrote:
Team Loco wrote:

nope it doesnt....just ask Hook...

Mister, is YOUR ecu expire inno, not mine :lol:

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » June 25th, 2012, 7:06 am

I'm guilty of a lot of these, if I park in the garage or in a car park in the mall or something I never pull my handbrakes up even though people tell me to, I just don't do it but if I'm on a hill I'd obviously pull it up..

Not Coming To A Complete Stop Before Shifting guilty of that one too :oops:

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 25th, 2012, 7:25 am

BrotherHood wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
BrotherHood wrote:

Turtle Wax Car Wash ftw.

1st car, didn't bull in it and dat clean away ah lampost like it was never there on the Solomon Hochoy Highway.
Present car, bull in it. Some days after HID's stop working and couple weeks after ah man run into the car then bawl i driving too fast. thought i wudda boil down, hit him 2 good cuff before witnesses separated us.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

turbo_beast369
Riding on 18's

Postby turbo_beast369 » June 25th, 2012, 7:35 am

allyuh talkin bout d original squeezy?
I use the pricesmart dish-washing liquid alone on my year and 4 month old rims and ppl still ask me if I paint over my rims...it still shines like the day I got it....I guess the key is not to mix it very strong and rinse it right after u wipe it, dont wait till it dries....to make things worse I wash d whole car with breeze, I don't care becuz it needs a paint job becuz it has a few scratches and dents but the car is 9 years old and the original paint job still shines....
I'm not recommending it to anyone I'm jus saying what I do doesnt affect it like how allyuh make it out to be thas all....is not like I using Purple Blaster to wash it

Centric
Shifting into 6th

Postby Centric » June 25th, 2012, 7:43 am

Nice read. This gives complete reason why the parts place and bamboo ALWAYS full with people. Although it didn't mention putting on the a/c right after starting the car, worse yet, putting it on without letting the hot air out.

RIPEBREDFRUIT
18 pounds of Boost

Postby RIPEBREDFRUIT » June 25th, 2012, 8:48 am

Nissan ruined the car industry when they launched the Almera and the B-stinkeens...............

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 25th, 2012, 9:10 am

and ford ruin your wife when they make ranger.

anyhow, another that should be added to the list....selling your car to a woman.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » June 25th, 2012, 9:12 am

since i last bull in my car i am on my 3rd side mirror...feddup get flat tire, not to mention the entire right side of my car still have to fix. :cry:

edit: i broke a rim also. wtf

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » June 25th, 2012, 9:18 am

turbo_beast369 wrote:allyuh talkin bout d original squeezy?
I use the pricesmart dish-washing liquid alone on my year and 4 month old rims and ppl still ask me if I paint over my rims...it still shines like the day I got it....I guess the key is not to mix it very strong and rinse it right after u wipe it, dont wait till it dries....to make things worse I wash d whole car with breeze, I don't care becuz it needs a paint job becuz it has a few scratches and dents but the car is 9 years old and the original paint job still shines....
I'm not recommending it to anyone I'm jus saying what I do doesnt affect it like how allyuh make it out to be thas all....is not like I using Purple Blaster to wash it

Wa?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 25th, 2012, 9:19 am

wah kinda gyul allyuh does bull jed? is blight poocee ting allyuh does bull?

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » June 25th, 2012, 9:31 am

Know what brand takes all this punishment and just keeps on trucking?
Kia.
I'll already rate it above Nissan, and I think it won't be long before it matches Bishi, then Honda then Toyota. They're mainly used as company vehicles and people treat them so bad.

Centric
Shifting into 6th

Postby Centric » June 25th, 2012, 9:34 am

Sky wrote:Know what brand takes all this punishment and just keeps on trucking?
Kia.
I'll already rate it above Nissan, and I think it won't be long before it matches Bishi, then Honda then Toyota. They're mainly used as company vehicles and people treat them so bad.

Kia Sorento is the most abused SUV in Trinidad....but it keeps on going

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”