Forums

Componants vs DJ spkrs

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Componants vs DJ spkrs

Postby ruffneck_12 » June 24th, 2012, 2:38 am

I think its an education thing too, because csec/cape unit 1 physics will teach you about the ear
and how the ear is more sensitive to midrange frequencies and less sensitive to low frequencies

which is why a 130dB burst at 20Hz won't even phase you, but a 115dB burst at 2750Hz will have your ears ringing (some random figures, don't quote me)

But I doubt most people pay attention in school or even bothered to do cape so they just dropped out and became installers

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » June 24th, 2012, 6:38 am

Once it playing, the customer paying.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » June 27th, 2012, 5:43 pm

i think the reason most people go for dj speakers in their install because its just a "chook ett dey and two drywall screws "and its working , well enough for someone to listen too and still make some Noise

whereas components take a bit more prep to install and play properly ( dynamat, sealed up area ect)

i had a pair of components (pretty good stuff) and it never sounded good in its install, i never cut proper risers and installed it properly ,which i knew what to do but never did it.

and i also had a pair of eminence delta pro or something like that ,not the normal alphas in a box , sounded way better and install was much simpler to the regular person. Just screw it up in a box.

ill still go with comps at the end of the day because in a properly tuned and well done install it would sound damn good for the average joe.

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » June 27th, 2012, 6:50 pm

You know you just said you rathered build a box than cut two risers right?

Jus saying.

-Roach-
12 pounds of Boost

Postby -Roach- » June 27th, 2012, 8:06 pm

kurpal_v2 wrote:You know you just said you rathered build a box than cut two risers right?

Jus saying.

:lol: ...Im Guessing He Talking About Total Cost... X Amount Of Dynamat + Risers > M&Ms And Mids Boxes... Lol...

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » June 27th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Mids affi clap, bassline affi drop.

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » July 3rd, 2012, 11:33 pm

Let’s pick up this topic where we left off....but amend it to include pro audio processing equipment...like the DBX driverack PA...what are your takes on this ppl?

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » July 4th, 2012, 1:12 am

gt4tified wrote:Let’s pick up this topic where we left off....but amend it to include pro audio processing equipment...like the DBX driverack PA...what are your takes on this ppl?

I'd love to see a car audio version of that produced!

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » July 4th, 2012, 7:31 am

A lot of the competition level guys in the US and here use them in their cars.
Lots of Rane, dbx, Behringer with modified power supplies are in use in both Sound Q and gallery cars. (Never seen a BSS in a car though)
Their processing power exceeds anything available on the car audio market and their flexibility means that you may not need to upgrade the piece anytime soon.
Car audio processors are now catching up, but I haven't seen any with compressors or limiters just yet.

The downside is, if you don't know how to use it (and it isn't difficult to learn), you can make your system sound worse. However, that's a downside with any piece of equipment.

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » July 6th, 2012, 10:27 am

why would you want to incorporate a compressor/limiter into a car audio system, which is primarily for playback audio, unless you want to incorporate a microphone to sing the national anthem. :lol:

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » July 6th, 2012, 1:28 pm

gt4tified wrote:why would you want to incorporate a compressor/limiter into a car audio system, which is primarily for playback audio, unless you want to incorporate a microphone to sing the national anthem. :lol:

In a technically correct system you can use the compressors to make changes to the signal smoother therefore making the transitions less noticeable to the listener?

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » July 7th, 2012, 7:48 am

kurpal_v2 wrote:
gt4tified wrote:why would you want to incorporate a compressor/limiter into a car audio system, which is primarily for playback audio, unless you want to incorporate a microphone to sing the national anthem. :lol:

In a technically correct system you can use the compressors to make changes to the signal smoother therefore making the transitions less noticeable to the listener?

But in competition, this may be detrimental as it can affect the ambient qualities of the recorded sound stage.

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » July 10th, 2012, 10:20 pm

The Faital pro 6FE200 comes in 4ohm and 8ohm versions. Is the 4ohm for car audio(similar to components resistance) and the 8ohm dj audio?

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » July 10th, 2012, 10:45 pm

gt4tified wrote:But in competition, this may be detrimental as it can affect the ambient qualities of the recorded sound stage.

Compression might actually be beneficial. Two reasons come to mind: (1) to reduce the possibility of any noticeable distortion caused by clipped signals, and (2) to improve the audibility of older recorded material (and any material recorded with a high dynamic range) in the usually noisy car audio environment. Note: Most modern "pop" music is already heavily compressed (unfortunately), so there will be less noticeable benefit if that's your choice of music.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » July 11th, 2012, 8:12 am

Most people in here bickering because of what they prefer.

Having used both pro audio and components in my own personal car, there are two very distinct differences:

Components sound better.
Pro Audio gets louder.

That's it.

To get the sound of components from pro audio speakers, you will need:

- Bullet Tweeters
- High Mids
- Low Mids

= Expensive

To get the volume of pro audio speakers from components you will need:

- Lots of components
= Expensive

That's it.

-Roach-
12 pounds of Boost

Postby -Roach- » July 11th, 2012, 9:00 am

DJ Q wrote:To get the sound of components from pro audio speakers

-1.. Can Never Happen. :?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 11th, 2012, 9:13 am

-Roach- wrote:

yea?

People are now using pro audio speakers in 3 way component sets with great results. :idea:

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » July 11th, 2012, 10:29 am

nervewrecker wrote:
-Roach- wrote:

yea?

People are now using pro audio speakers in 3 way component sets with great results. :idea:

DJ Q wrote:To get the sound of components from pro audio speakers, you will need:

- Bullet Tweeters
- High Mids
- Low Mids

May need to include woofers as well since some of these components go down to 50 hz

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 11th, 2012, 10:44 am

most go down to approx 60
some go down to 50
and few go down to below 50.

People have been using comps that fall within the first bracket I mentioned with great success. The issue of having a comp set go down to below 50hz has bothered me forquite awhile because of the costs of those sets, I actually considered using a sub for the driver. It has already been done in here too with great results.

-Roach-
12 pounds of Boost

Postby -Roach- » July 11th, 2012, 12:35 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
-Roach- wrote:

yea?

Who DIS?... :lol: ...On A Real Though... I Would Like To Hear This...

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » July 11th, 2012, 7:58 pm

-Roach- wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:
-Roach- wrote:

yea?

Show up to an ICE/IASCA/MECA event, simple as that.

DIS using zapco i-force afaik.

nervewrecker wrote:most go down to approx 60
some go down to 50

People have been using comps that fall within the first bracket I mentioned with great success. The issue of having a comp set go down to below 50hz has bothered me forquite awhile because of the costs of those sets, I actually considered using a sub for the driver. It has already been done in here too with great results.

I maybe confused but why do you want your midbass to play subbass?

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » July 11th, 2012, 8:07 pm

nervewrecker wrote:50hz has bothered me for quite awhile because of the costs of those sets, I actually considered using a sub for the driver. It has already been done in here too with great results.

:mrgreen: Yup! And honestly, you don't NEED it. Once you treat your door properly (assuming that is where you gonna put it) and carefully set gains and play with phase on your sub, you should be good to go. I have mine crossed at 50Hz now and sounds fine, no need to go any lower.

-Roach-
12 pounds of Boost

Postby -Roach- » July 11th, 2012, 8:14 pm

kurpal_v2 wrote:
-Roach- wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:
-Roach- wrote:

yea?

Show up to an ICE/IASCA/MECA event, simple as that.

DIS using zapco i-force afaik.

nervewrecker wrote:most go down to approx 60
some go down to 50

I maybe confused but why do you want your midbass to play subbass?

Timing dan.... Level work... But i'd like a demo of dave though... When you ready to make a turn organise nah, we go pump....

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » July 11th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Next ICE event I could pick you up and have you home by 10/11am.

-Roach-
12 pounds of Boost

Postby -Roach- » July 11th, 2012, 8:29 pm

kurpal_v2 wrote:Next ICE event I could pick you up and have you home by 10/11am.

Saturday... 8:00am to 3:00pm..
Sunday... 8:00am to 5:00pm...
:lol:

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » July 12th, 2012, 1:03 am

Brian Steele wrote:
gt4tified wrote:But in competition, this may be detrimental as it can affect the ambient qualities of the recorded sound stage.

Compression might actually be beneficial. Two reasons come to mind: (1) to reduce the possibility of any noticeable distortion caused by clipped signals, and (2) to improve the audibility of older recorded material (and any material recorded with a high dynamic range) in the usually noisy car audio environment. Note: Most modern "pop" music is already heavily compressed (unfortunately), so there will be less noticeable benefit if that's your choice of music.

Maybe you didn't read what I wrote properly, or maybe I wasn't clear enough. I am saying that in SQ competition, compression cannot help, moreso if the judge knows his/her stuff. Not sure what judging CD MECA SQ uses but I know for a fact that for IASCA SQ events there is only one judging CD.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » July 13th, 2012, 6:57 pm

gt4tified wrote:Maybe you didn't read what I wrote properly, or maybe I wasn't clear enough.

You were not clear enough. You did not specify what type of competition you were thinking of.

In any case, done right, the effect should not audibly degrade the response at the typical levels of SQ judging.

GVTrini07
3NE 2NR for life

Postby GVTrini07 » July 13th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Assuming that the term DJ Vs Components is used loosely…
What distinguishes DJ Speakers from Components? Is it Ohms? Is it Frequency Response? Is it sensitivity? Is it size? Is it that one comes complete with Passive Cross, woofer and tweeter and the other is just a Raw Driver? Is it that the Mfg describes product A as DJ and product B as component?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » July 14th, 2012, 5:43 am

sigh...............

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/productos.php

its much better than your common pro audio products presently available locally

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » July 14th, 2012, 9:08 am

GVTrini07 wrote:Assuming that the term DJ Vs Components is used loosely…
What distinguishes DJ Speakers from Components? Is it Ohms? Is it Frequency Response? Is it sensitivity? Is it size? Is it that one comes complete with Passive Cross, woofer and tweeter and the other is just a Raw Driver? Is it that the Mfg describes product A as DJ and product B as component?

Finally, someone is thinking the correct thoughts.
It's not the label on the product, it's how you use it. ALL speakers have limitations. It can be frequency response, power compression, distortion, power response. You need to understand what you have and the limitations within which you can use the product.

I've been using midrange "DJ Speakers" in a sound quality competition application successfully for the past 3 years. I think it's in the top 2 highest scores locally for this season for both MECA and IASCA. One of the highest scoring Sound Quality competitors at SBN 2012 in both IASCA and MECA used midrange "DJ Speakers" and had a score of over 250 out of 275 in IASCA.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”