Forums

Need IT job!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Bizzare
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Need IT job!

Postby Bizzare » July 18th, 2012, 1:11 pm

AbstractPoetic wrote:But reix, on a local scale you're mostly dealing with employers that cannot provide extensive experience on the networking/administration side of things. Small fry syndrome is a reflection of the small fry experience afforded at local companies.

Not sure how this may differentiate for IT programmers.

so u allow yourself to be limited by your environment?

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Postby r3iXmann » July 18th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Bizzare wrote:so u allow yourself to be limited by your environment?

this sums up the people who complain about the industry

Bizzare
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Bizzare » July 18th, 2012, 1:20 pm

moar food fuh weee !!!!!

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » July 18th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Bizzare wrote:
AbstractPoetic wrote:But reix, on a local scale you're mostly dealing with employers that cannot provide extensive experience on the networking/administration side of things. Small fry syndrome is a reflection of the small fry experience afforded at local companies.

On the network administration side of things, please tell me which employers operate outside a small to medium size range?

Outside of IBM, Fujitsu, TSTT, Digicel, etc which companies can provide network administrators with extensive hands on experience in designing, implementing and supporting large IP networks?

And even if you were to be self-employed, once again, isn't your business coming from clients that are small to medium-size companies that do not require the extensive knowledge base afforded with CISCO qualis?

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Postby r3iXmann » July 18th, 2012, 1:23 pm

AbstractPoetic wrote:
Bizzare wrote:

On the network administration side of things, please tell me which employers operate outside a small to medium size range?

Outside of IBM, Fujitsu, TSTT, Digicel, etc which companies can provide network administrators with extensive hands on experience in designing, implementing and supporting large IP networks?

And even if you were to be self-employed, once again, isn't your business coming from clients that are small to medium-size companies that do not require the extensive knowledge base afforded with CISCO qualis?

AP, there are MANY small-sized companies that do a lot of large scale contractual implementation & administration of enterprise class networks

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » July 18th, 2012, 1:27 pm

r3iXmann wrote:
AbstractPoetic wrote:
Bizzare wrote:

AP, there are MANY small-sized companies that do a lot of large scale contractual implementation & administration of enterprise class networks

So you're telling me there is a need for CCIE professionals in TT?

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » July 18th, 2012, 1:42 pm

I had meetings with three in the last month. And they are needed where they are.
I think you're underestimating the networking sector in Trinidad & Tobago.

kg494EJ-1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kg494EJ-1 » July 18th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Death-Row wrote:take what you get bro, just because you have a degree, doesnt mean ur gonna be a manager one time. take what you are getting now, get ur foot in the door and put in some work. always try to be better, it will pay off.

the field is a bit on the saturated side but i think this generation of "degree holders" are just lazy and expect stuff to be handed to them because they have a degree making this situation look worse that it really is. it doesnt work like that. grab what u can get now and start racking up that experience bro.

i wish you the best and i hope u have better luck than me lol

Could not of said it better myself, I am the holder of various certifications, I am also a computing degree holder currently doing a BBA part time. I had very little experience and landed a job as a I.T. Tech for a medium sized business, because of my variation of skills they were happy to bring me on.

From my personal experience what you learn in a classroom and do in the actual environment are completely different, experience is vital to keep a level head and to think on your feet. You have to learn to adapt, that is key.

Having a degree is not what it used to be and is not the only criteria companies are hiring on.

But get the experience any which way you can.

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » July 18th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Sky wrote:I had meetings with three in the last month. And they are needed where they are.

All three are Trinidadian nationals or imported?

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » July 18th, 2012, 2:44 pm

AbstractPoetic wrote:
Sky wrote:I had meetings with three in the last month. And they are needed where they are.

1 Indian from central.
One Chindian from Valsayn I believe.
One negro from what I believe is central from his accent.

Three of them are bosses at what they do and I know there is more.

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » July 18th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Sky wrote:
AbstractPoetic wrote:

1 Indian from central.

How strange. According to the list below, there are no CCIEs based in Trinidad and Tobago to date:

http://www.bradreese.com/worldwide-ccie-count.htm

There are a total of 16 CCIEs in the Caribbean to date.

:| :| :|

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » July 18th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Sky wrote:
AbstractPoetic wrote:

1 Indian from central.

wtf? :lol:

i guess every race has a CCIE representative. lol

btw....u guys ever hear about Avaya? i kow a couple of people with certs. from them. i have been looking at some of their training courses and they seem to cover a lot of stuff. but how good is their certifications?

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » July 18th, 2012, 4:21 pm

AbstractPoetic wrote:
Sky wrote:
AbstractPoetic wrote:

1 Indian from central.

How strange. According to the list below, there are no CCIEs based in Trinidad and Tobago to date:

Strange indeed.
I should tell these guys about this.
They should know that they're not on a list on some website that reports how many people they know have certain certs, and now "For the first time we have numbers to report for the Cisco CCDE and CCAr certifications:"
*sigh*

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » July 18th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Sky wrote:
AbstractPoetic wrote:
Sky wrote:
AbstractPoetic wrote:

1 Indian from central.

Strange indeed.
I should tell these guys about this.
They should know that they're not on a list on some website that reports how many people they know have certain certs, and now "For the first time we have numbers to report for the Cisco CCDE and CCAr certifications:"
*sigh*

Actually the CISCO website also provides this list and their list comes directly from CISCO's database.

Looks like you're misinformed. :lol:

FYI: They should be able to provide their Cert Nos. if they have passed both parts of the CCIE examination (written and lab).

Bizzare
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Bizzare » July 18th, 2012, 4:32 pm

where's the link directly to CISCO's database where this site is pulling data from?

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Postby r3iXmann » July 18th, 2012, 4:41 pm

i call BS on that

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » July 18th, 2012, 4:52 pm

Bizzare wrote:where's the link directly to CISCO's database where this site is pulling data from?

More detail below. While it appears CISCO no longer publically make the statistics available, a few in the business have kept tabs on newly minted CCIE.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/threa ... 0&tstart=0

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » July 18th, 2012, 4:53 pm

r3iXmann wrote:i call BS on that

I agree. There are no CCIEs in Trinidad and Tobago. :mrgreen:

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » July 18th, 2012, 6:31 pm

kg494EJ-1 wrote:
Death-Row wrote:take what you get bro, just because you have a degree, doesnt mean ur gonna be a manager one time. take what you are getting now, get ur foot in the door and put in some work. always try to be better, it will pay off.

the field is a bit on the saturated side but i think this generation of "degree holders" are just lazy and expect stuff to be handed to them because they have a degree making this situation look worse that it really is. it doesnt work like that. grab what u can get now and start racking up that experience bro.

Could not of said it better myself, I am the holder of various certifications, I am also a computing degree holder currently doing a BBA part time. I had very little experience and landed a job as a I.T. Tech for a medium sized business, because of my variation of skills they were happy to bring me on.

From my personal experience what you learn in a classroom and do in the actual environment are completely different, experience is vital to keep a level head and to think on your feet. You have to learn to adapt, that is key.

Having a degree is not what it used to be and is not the only criteria companies are hiring on.

lol, boy, i gave up in IT about 2-3 years now in trini yes. i might jump back into it when the time is right but for now, self employment is it for me. sorry/sad to say it but selling roti is making more than an IT manager for me ATM. :lol: :lol:

was just a sideline gig that surprised me so im sticking with this for a while but i will be jumping ship to something that i like in the future, still in the process of finding that special field i like tho.

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » July 18th, 2012, 7:08 pm

AbstractPoetic wrote:Actually the CISCO website also provides this list and their list comes directly from CISCO's database.

FYI: They should be able to provide their Cert Nos. if they have passed both parts of the CCIE examination (written and lab).

AbstractPoetic wrote:More detail below. While it appears CISCO no longer publically make the statistics available, a few in the business have kept tabs on newly minted CCIE.

So cisco won't give the data, yet people are getting it somehow.

Right call.
AbstractPoetic wrote:

Well I guess you win AP. Google worked well for you and Trinidad is too small and insignificant to have such people.
I can't stay though, I need to reconfigure a 2960. It seems that anytime I try to allow vlan198 on port 5 (important), it does an automatic shut and I need to send a no shut every 10 minutes. The SR520 works fine the other 2960 so I need to find out whats up there. I need to get that vlan to that particular wan site.
Maybe when you're Googling all that, somewhere between you'll realize that I'm in this field, you're in finance, those 3 guys represent potential vendors of mine and of course I saw their creds.

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » July 19th, 2012, 8:57 pm

Death-Row wrote:
kg494EJ-1 wrote:

lol, boy, i gave up in IT about 2-3 years now in trini yes. i might jump back into it when the time is right but for now, self employment is it for me. sorry/sad to say it but selling roti is making more than an IT manager for me ATM. :lol: :lol:

was just a sideline gig that surprised me so im sticking with this for a while but i will be jumping ship to something that i like in the future, still in the process of finding that special field i like tho.

I know what you mean. I should've gotten out years ago but not too late. When I did my degree almost 2 decades ago a good friend in my class who graduated with me eventually left IT after a couple of years and went into food production. Met him some time back and he said he never regretted the move. While IT ppl thinking $30K and $40K a month is big money his business is clearing $3-4mil + a year. He has other businesses, is extremely secure financially and since he is in food production he always has business....ppl have to eat. Hell even the chicken guy up the road by me pulling in more money than most professionals. The work not glamorous but I doubt he cares when rolling in his TT or Cayenne Turbo and building one helluva house.....makes you wonder.

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Postby r3iXmann » July 19th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Sky wrote:
AbstractPoetic wrote:Actually the CISCO website also provides this list and their list comes directly from CISCO's database.

AbstractPoetic wrote:More detail below. While it appears CISCO no longer publically make the statistics available, a few in the business have kept tabs on newly minted CCIE.

So cisco won't give the data, yet people are getting it somehow.

Right call.
AbstractPoetic wrote:

I can't stay though, I need to reconfigure a 2960. It seems that anytime I try to allow vlan198 on port 5 (important), it does an automatic shut and I need to send a no shut every 10 minutes. The SR520 works fine the other 2960 so I need to find out whats up there. I need to get that vlan to that particular wan site.

Is there any error checking on there? Had a issue with a mds recently where it kept shutting down the port when it detected an error (some new feature).

I don't deal with networking stuff too much but that might help

carmelo
Sweet on this forum

Postby carmelo » July 20th, 2012, 7:52 pm

r3iXmann wrote:
ek4ever wrote: the industry is dead and local market over saturated and non-competitive.

True statement ....... Everybody doing a plus and them other courses and feel they are hotshot techs..... And worse cant even apply what they learn.....u try teaching when they now come in and they feel they know everything about IT.... The other day I put one to troubleshoot and install win 98 and windows 2000 on a computer ... We had a field day watching him..... Man start to cold sweat in air condition ......

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » July 21st, 2012, 8:53 am

ek4ever wrote:
Death-Row wrote:
kg494EJ-1 wrote:

I know what you mean. I should've gotten out years ago but not too late. When I did my degree almost 2 decades ago a good friend in my class who graduated with me eventually left IT after a couple of years and went into food production. Met him some time back and he said he never regretted the move. While IT ppl thinking $30K and $40K a month is big money his business is clearing $3-4mil + a year. He has other businesses, is extremely secure financially and since he is in food production he always has business....ppl have to eat. Hell even the chicken guy up the road by me pulling in more money than most professionals. The work not glamorous but I doubt he cares when rolling in his TT or Cayenne Turbo and building one helluva house.....makes you wonder.

yup, alot of parents these days want their sons/daughters to work in an office, wear suit and tie etc my mom was also the same way but my dad always told me, glamorous or not, once ur making an honest dollar, go for it, never look down on a job. i've found myself much more interested in my job now, constantly thinking of new ideas to please the customer. when i worked in the IT field, it just stripped the love for computers from me that i once had. i guess everyone is different. i always wanted to run my own business, been family ways for a couple generations so i guess ill work on this from now.

again, to the OP. take what you can get bro, get ur foot in the door and rack up that experience yo. wish u the best of luck.

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » July 21st, 2012, 10:08 am

r3iXmann wrote:
Is there any error checking on there? Had a issue with a mds recently where it kept shutting down the port when it detected an error (some new feature).

I don't deal with networking stuff too much but that might help

Did what the pros do. wipe he cvnt and start over :P
when I compared the two configs it turned out to be a subnetting typo though.
I say typo because the notes said the correct thing.

So you don't deal with networking? but you're in IT, you're supposed to know all that </typical_employer>

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 21st, 2012, 6:43 pm

carmelo wrote:
r3iXmann wrote:
ek4ever wrote: the industry is dead and local market over saturated and non-competitive.

True statement ....... Everybody doing a plus and them other courses and feel they are hotshot techs..... And worse cant even apply what they learn.....u try teaching when they now come in and they feel they know everything about IT.... The other day I put one to troubleshoot and install win 98 and windows 2000 on a computer ... We had a field day watching him..... Man start to cold sweat in air condition ......

ROFL... that is just pure wickedness.... :lol: :lol: but seriously though, They supposed to know how to do it cause thats where IT came from- just because its an old OS that doesn't mean no one uses it.

MY first pc came with windows 95....32MB SDRAM 4MB video card and a cd rom drive..
when i finished with it i was running win 98SE 64MB SDRAM Geforce 2 64MB video card lite on DVD Rom and CD burner ( 2 separate drives).

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » July 21st, 2012, 7:06 pm

Death-Row wrote:
ek4ever wrote:
Death-Row wrote:
kg494EJ-1 wrote:

yup, alot of parents these days want their sons/daughters to work in an office, wear suit and tie etc my mom was also the same way but my dad always told me, glamorous or not, once ur making an honest dollar, go for it, never look down on a job. i've found myself much more interested in my job now, constantly thinking of new ideas to please the customer. when i worked in the IT field, it just stripped the love for computers from me that i once had. i guess everyone is different. i always wanted to run my own business, been family ways for a couple generations so i guess ill work on this from now.

again, to the OP. take what you can get bro, get ur foot in the door and rack up that experience yo. wish u the best of luck.

I quite agree. My point in this thread was that most IT workers are working in what I call utility roles .... that is adding very little value .... not taking IT to any new heights. Yes, there is some innovation but the majority of IT professionals are employed to just keeping the lights on. Trinidad really lacks any sort of true innovation centric industries ... I attended a Microsoft symposium some time back and the opening speaker put up a map of the world based on IT innovation .... where the Caribbean and latin america countries should be there was a great empty white space.

Working with an international IT consulting company we were doing recruitment for IT jobs and I would say 90% and maybe more of Caribbean applicants could not meet requirements for the jobs simply because they just did not have the required work experience nor the opportunity for such experience in the Caribbean.

Anyway I have the same passion for business and this is where I am heading towards. For those who are passionate about IT I can understand it cause I felt like that years ago. But I think sometimes a change is required ... can't do the same thing for your whole life.

iloveDirt
Riding on 13's

Postby iloveDirt » July 21st, 2012, 8:32 pm

Wow thanks for all the info guys,yes I have been a+ certified long b4 i had my compsci degree.I am also oracle 10g certified and dbms/sql is my thing and doing my mba in a few weeks.Problem is currently i am employed doing something completely unrelated for very small pay <4k!. The experience that I am getting i am concerned will not be related to my future IT career. Thats why I am looking for an IT specific job.most of the jobs listed ask for so much experience in the field and I will def get looked over. Thanks to you guys I submitted resumes to the industries and got +ve some feedback. interviews soon so hopefully i get employed! thanks again folks!

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » July 22nd, 2012, 3:52 pm

ek4ever, well said bro. i got the same feelings too. used to love IT but things have really changed. research right now being done to get educated in the business field, just wanna choose the right stuff and not waste time.

To the OP. yea man, let us know how things work out for you. good luck

Sky
punchin NOS

Postby Sky » July 22nd, 2012, 4:03 pm

iloveDirt wrote:Wow thanks for all the info guys,yes I have been a+ certified long b4 i had my compsci degree.I am also oracle 10g certified and dbms/sql is my thing and doing my mba in a few weeks.Problem is currently i am employed doing something completely unrelated for very small pay <4k!. The experience that I am getting i am concerned will not be related to my future IT career. Thats why I am looking for an IT specific job.most of the jobs listed ask for so much experience in the field and I will def get looked over. Thanks to you guys I submitted resumes to the industries and got +ve some feedback. interviews soon so hopefully i get employed! thanks again folks!

Another thing you should do as you're in db is to do it on the side after work.
Create db templates for things a company would want. Payroll, inventory etc.
Someone approached me to do a job for one of their clients. An A/C company. They wanted a customer db in access. I'm no db person, but I coulda do it. They pulled out when he hit them the price. I said that to show that you can create these databases and tackle small companies like that. Not for money really, but to have it under your belt.
And when small companies see you, they see a lone db admin with time on his hands who will give them attention, while having little overheads. When they watch a bigger company, they know they have to pay the company light, phone, internet, real estate bills.
The smaller the company, the smaller the price, but that could also mean less attention and service. Showing a company that you can handle the demand will land you gigs to put up as exp and make you more favourable to bigger companies (for a job, not contract). They will see someone who they don't have to crack a whip behind.
IT is only dead for people who take a bit of education and expect to land a big job.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”