TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

CARS AUTOCROSS SUNDAY 7TH APRIL

Official Solodex Forum -
Please visit www.carstt.com for more info on Autocross (aka Solodex)

Moderators: CarsTT, CARSTT SoloDex, 3ne2nr Mods

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Re: CARS AUTOCROSS SUNDAY 7TH APRIL

Postby wagonrunner » April 8th, 2013, 12:12 pm

you're welcome buddy

CARSTT SoloDex
3NE 2NR for life

CARS AUTOCROSS 2 Thanks to All

Postby CARSTT SoloDex » April 8th, 2013, 8:52 pm

All Members ,
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who came out last Sunday to our second competition event.The day proved to be a resounding success , based on the high level of competition in all classes as well as the turnout of competitors.This serves that Autocross is heating up the place once again and we wish to serve the motorsport public the best we can.We thank our sponsors ,NOV Downhole ,Trinituner , Abraham Distributors and HN Racing for their support.Mr Deo for his tent services , Ramesh for his food services , the ambulance services for being on hand and to Sarge for his cheerfulness at the gates in greeting competitors and patrons.Finally to those members both new and veteran who came out and had an absolute blast. We look forward to seeing you all at our next event on May 5th.

Until then Happy Motoring.

Razkal
2NRholic

Postby Razkal » April 9th, 2013, 9:55 pm

autocross2 was great. that was one hell of a course! had fun and flat spotted the fronts in the process of chasing that red cefiros' times.

NLVA200
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby NLVA200 » April 12th, 2013, 11:32 am

lookin forward to seeing the official times :)

whizpig
Sweet on this forum

Postby whizpig » April 14th, 2013, 3:40 pm

blacktriple_s wrote:lookin forward to seeing the official times :)

Ditto

NLVA200
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby NLVA200 » April 17th, 2013, 9:18 am

Will the times be posted soon?

CARSTT SoloDex
3NE 2NR for life

Postby CARSTT SoloDex » April 17th, 2013, 11:07 am

Times up on 1st page. Rookie status of some entrants still to be confirmed.

NLVA200
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby NLVA200 » April 17th, 2013, 1:00 pm

CARSTT SoloDex wrote:Times up on 1st page. Rookie status of some entrants still to be confirmed.

thank you.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » April 17th, 2013, 1:10 pm

:poke: :poke:

1st place SS with a huge gap behind it has 3rd place in EP.
1st and 2nd in ESP also with a big gap behind would then get 1st and 2nd in SS
and 1st place ES (this big gap thing is a style now) would then get 2nd place in ESP.

and similar to the results of the previous event.

Razkal
2NRholic

Postby Razkal » April 17th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Just for clarification, since rejoining cars autocross for 2013 competition, i have never registered as a rookie or had knowledge the executive board considered me as a rookie based on my absence from CARS competition since 2008.
As a competitor, past and present, i'm not a rookie to the sport as much as a driver with a lot to learn, and would rather participate in that capacity from Autocross #3, since the next event is a BYCC.

I hope more rwd's show up for bycc, trying to compare rwd times with only three guys is tough beans. :|

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » April 17th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Razkal wrote: I hope more rwd's show up for bycc, trying to compare rwd times with only three guys is tough beans. :|

what about the 5-reverse gearbox JWT was working on for his RWD primera?
If you ran in reverse, you'd now be FWD, and could compare times in that category as well. :poke: :rofl:

whizpig
Sweet on this forum

Postby whizpig » April 17th, 2013, 5:41 pm

ok so in the unofficial results my 6th run was 96, 049 and in the official results there is no time for my last run, soooo . . . . what happened :?: :(

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » April 17th, 2013, 6:38 pm

whizpig wrote:ok so in the unofficial results my 6th run was 96, 049 and in the official results there is no time for my last run, soooo . . . . what happened :?: :(

I'm the one who prepared the results.

Are you certain that was your time, or a time written in that spot on the board?
I'm asking because there were quite a few discrepancies between what was in the timing system, and times that were written for who on the board.

I went with the runs in the system would be tagged to the correct staged car.

whizpig
Sweet on this forum

Postby whizpig » April 17th, 2013, 7:14 pm

well i doh know, i can only go by what i see was posted as the unofficial and the official results. now if yuh say i didn't do the 96.049 that is written in the 6th run of my row of the unofficial results i have to take your word for it, but if that is the case, what was the time for my 6th run? cause if there was a problem with the timing, no one told me, and as such i was not offered the opportunity to re-run, but say what i not beating up for the time, but if there is a problem with the timing system or the recording of said times then that needs to be sorted out.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » April 18th, 2013, 12:43 am

whizpig wrote:but say what i not beating up for the time
i do appreciate this. Takes a big man to let that slide. And I do apologize for it even happening.
whizpig wrote:if there is a problem with the timing system or the recording of said times then that needs to be sorted out.

there was, and there is.
the folks who do the timing also try to race.
while their racing, and someone else does the timing, and something goes wrong.......................

so basically they need to have others be able to take over for them.

María
3NE 2NR for life

Postby María » April 18th, 2013, 7:09 am

wagonrunner wrote::poke: :poke:

1st place SS with a huge gap behind it has 3rd place in EP.
1st and 2nd in ESP also with a big gap behind would then get 1st and 2nd in SS
and 1st place ES (this big gap thing is a style now) would then get 2nd place in ESP.

and similar to the results of the previous event.

Perhaps cars aren't being classed in the best way possible?

Is this something to be revisited by the membership?

Nick29
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nick29 » April 18th, 2013, 8:03 am

Is there an explanation of how vehicles are classed anywhere on the forum? I tried a search and didn't find any.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » April 18th, 2013, 12:56 pm

the current classing is via weight of vehicle / flywheel bhp (calculated by multiplying dyno'ed power by 1.15 for 2 wheel drives, or 1.2 for 4 wheel drives).

the last classing structure from 2010 is at http://www.carstt.com/2010/Rules/CARS_SoloDex_2010_RUles_Rev1-2.pdf from this post Open Forum for Solodex Rules for 2011
CLASS W/P Ratio Range
GS 30+
HS 26 - 29.9
ES 20 - 25.9
ESP 14 - 19.9
SS 11.5 - 13.9
EP 10.1 - 11.4
EPR 8.6 - 10.0
Open Class 8.5 and under
María wrote:Perhaps cars aren't being classed in the best way possible?

I have always had an issue with this because I don't understand how two vehicles with the same P/W ratio and a difference in length of 2 feet plus could be expected to handle the same in a dexterity race.

It does indeed favor some.

NLVA200
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby NLVA200 » April 18th, 2013, 1:08 pm

wagonrunner wrote:
María wrote:Perhaps cars aren't being classed in the best way possible?

I have always had an issue with this because I don't understand how two vehicles with the same P/W ratio and a difference in length of 2 feet plus could be expected to handle the same in a dexterity race.

It does indeed favor some.

yes, i agree!

María
3NE 2NR for life

Postby María » April 18th, 2013, 1:17 pm

So what are some other ways of classifying cars that might work for Autocross?

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » April 18th, 2013, 1:46 pm

LF: Stig

Razkal
2NRholic

Postby Razkal » April 18th, 2013, 2:31 pm

:rofl: pete!

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » April 18th, 2013, 2:44 pm

María wrote:So what are some other ways of classifying cars that might work for Autocross?

its a race that involves handling. it's possible to test both.
2 cones set at a distance apart (100 feet maybe, 200??) and a 5 lap figure 8. the faster the car goes the less grip it can keep.
and the timing system can record, and determine the fastest lap.
Could even be done in lieu of dyno day, as a mandatory competition event to start the year. for points.
And it's not something so difficult it can't be done any other time, if a car's classification is questioned.
pete wrote:LF: Stig
it's not hard to tell who the current system favors. The usual responses whenever it's highlighted. Fairplay..pffft.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » April 18th, 2013, 3:41 pm

For the record:

I'm not fighting changing it. I actually think that the closer the cars are matched the more competitive it makes the events and I'm all for it. I know how demotivating it is to have a car that even though the power:weight ratio says it should be in a class it can't possibly compete with smaller ones. I drove an Elantra at dex a few years ago and then I drove a Baleno, both were longer wheel base cars that weren't that competitive. Then I bought the GTi and now the Swift to try and have a more competitive car.

I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy a car to fit the rule and that's why I agree that if we could find a way to equalise all the cars then I would support it fully.

How about using the wheelbase(WB), length(L) and width(WD) to determine it.

Did a little math
Swift -L 147.8" WB 94.1" WD 66.5"
BMW Mini - L 145.6" WB 97.1" WD 66.3"
Lancer - L 180" WB 103.7" WD 69.4"
Wingroad - L 164.4" WB 94.5" WD 65.6"

If you multiply the ratio of Length:Wheelbase by the Lenth:Width
Swift - 147.8/94.1 * 147.8/66.5 = 3.49
BMW Mini - 145.6/97.1 * 145.6/66.3 = 3.29
Lancer - 180/103.7 * 180/69.4 = 4.50
Wingroad - 164.4/94.5 * 164.4/65.6 = 4.35

Maybe someone could come up with a factor that could integrate those figures into the current power:weight ratio classification to equalise the cars?

Dave-ve
Trinituner Peong

Postby Dave-ve » April 18th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Reversing on the course is now a DNF?

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » April 18th, 2013, 4:21 pm

:lol: i knew once motivated you'd come up with something constructive. :mrgreen:
not a bad suggestion. but i dunno why the preference to theorize and formulate when you can actually test.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » April 18th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Dave-ve wrote:Reversing on the course is now a DNF?

it should not be. competitors have finished by reversing into the box and their times counted.
reversing to ensure you pass correctly by a cone (to stay on course) should also not be a DNF.
The slower time would reflect that anyway.
AND most importantly, there's nothing stating that in the rules posted earlier, is there?

chris1388
Riding on 18's

Postby chris1388 » April 18th, 2013, 5:54 pm

So I know I will be targeted by a certain individual in here for posting but I'm going to anyway. I disagree that the rules favour any ones car be it short or long. I find the rules to be quite fair as they are now. The suggestion you guys made about penalizing any car with LSD be it stock or after market was a great idea and I found that would make things even more fair and interesting.
I can imagine it is frustrating trying to beat a certain car and feeling like it just aint possible, trust me I was one of those who thought like that... until I met two individuals. One is Kirk Ho Hing and the other Ryan Peyrau. They both took the car I was driving everyday and supposedly knew very well and in one lap, first time driving the car beat my best time significantly hands down. No change....just driver. In all fairness some of the best drivers at dex drive these "short" cars....the point I'm getting at is look at when it comes to the championship shootout and using an independent car these drivers still seem "unbeatable" and usually beat the competition by quite a large gap, what then is the explanation for that?
I will make another point. Athony Abraham....he drives one of these short cars. He won the ES title in 2011 I believe hands down....no one could beat the swift all year...not even at one event...it seemed invincible. Then along came Adrian Persad with his honda civic which by no stretch is a short or light car, and on foreign used tires....sometimes 4 different brands on EACH corner... beat the swift at a couple events and eventually won the ES title last year albeit anthony did not compete for the entire year.
My suggestion to anyone that feels their car is not capable within class, if you don't mind letting someone like pete, devi or kirk drive the car just the same way you did and compare the times....I am sure they will speak for themselves. I have already asked the second place competitor in SS who also feels this way to drive his car at the next event.

All that being said....Pete came up with a nice idea but I don't think the rules should be changed for something like that. I think those questioning the rules should take up the offer I outlined before trying to crunch numbers and come up with a "length correction factor".

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » April 18th, 2013, 6:04 pm

chris1388 wrote:All that being said....Pete came up with a nice idea but I don't think the rules should be changed for something like that. I think those questioning the rules should take up the offer I outlined before trying to crunch numbers and come up with a "length correction factor".

so to clarify, you agree with the following?
two vehicles with the same P/W ratio and a difference in length of 2 feet plus could be expected to handle the same in a dexterity race.

adriano7910
Riding on 17's

Postby adriano7910 » April 18th, 2013, 6:35 pm

i dont believe that a car should be penalized for the way it is built to be honest.

what i think could be a benefit is that as cars go up in class, the penalty points are raised from 4 points. and for the shorter cars (within a certain wheel base and lenght) with the added advantage their penalty points remain the same giving the longer cars a basis to even the odds.

Advertisement

Return to “CARS - Autocross (Solodex)”