Forums

4age low shift

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

4age low shift

Postby Anton » March 1st, 2005, 10:13 am

Aye fellas, my newly installed 4age 20v st automatic is playin the fool!
It refuses to shift above 4200 rpm. We adjusted the kickdown cable but still no go. Any ideas.

(Some relevant info:
tranny is not ect
od switch not connected)

Razkal
2NRholic

Postby Razkal » March 1st, 2005, 10:45 pm

^hey man jus askin but u goin uwi by chance?....black AE101 4 wheel discs?
cause i knw a fella goin dey wid dat car, 4AGE et al

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » March 2nd, 2005, 10:06 am

No dude. I'm working U.W.I. white ae92 hatchback.

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » March 2nd, 2005, 12:17 pm

btw fellas can the gearbox from the 16v work with the 20v?

Sully
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Sully » March 2nd, 2005, 12:53 pm

^^ I wouldn't advise it, cause you'll have to get the ECU as well.

TK!
Riding on 18's

Postby TK! » March 3rd, 2005, 1:54 am

white ... hmm.. i wuk uwi horse... get a lsd 5 fwd gearbox or the original tranny that come with the 4age. trd stuff can be had from b'dos from navaco (spelling?). i have some numbers if yuh want to call dem.

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » March 7th, 2005, 9:59 am

Sully wrote:^^ I wouldn't advise it, cause you'll have to get the ECU as well.

R u sure dude? Cuz my mech/elec tells me that the gearbox is totally isolated electrically from the brain except for the inhibitor relay.
Just trying to clarify the issue.

blu-rolla
Sweet on this forum
Location: either in sando, or sneakin out yuh back door as you reach home.

Postby blu-rolla » March 7th, 2005, 11:07 am

Sully wrote:
^^ I wouldn't advise it, cause you'll have to get the ECU as well.

I dont think the 16v and 20v transmissions are the same bellhousing. and not all trannies for the 16v require an ecu.
if it is an ecu controlled tranny you have, one of the many possible causes could be an electronic problem (thats why the older trannies are easier to diagnose problems, and cheaper, box givin trouble-buy ah new fkin one).
please explain a lil more bout your problem.

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » March 7th, 2005, 4:55 pm

Dude, the tranny i have is the non electronic tranny. The electrician says that all the signals to the tranny are correct.

blu-rolla
Sweet on this forum
Location: either in sando, or sneakin out yuh back door as you reach home.

Postby blu-rolla » March 7th, 2005, 5:54 pm

so explain all the symptoms, when it happens, when it doesn't, the OD switch issue, etc

Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Postby Mr. Go Slow » March 7th, 2005, 6:09 pm

Anton wrote:Dude, the tranny i have is the non electronic tranny. The electrician says that all the signals to the tranny are correct.

Who is your eletrician? Check Kunta in the Bamboo... He has done the exact electrical install and fixed the exact same problem before I believe ... PM pbf1940 to verify ...

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » March 8th, 2005, 9:53 am

blu-rolla wrote:so explain all the symptoms, when it happens, when it doesn't, the OD switch issue, etc

Okay, is like this
- on first shift into drive when staring the car, 1st gear takes a long time to shift. I have to play with the throttle to get it to change. But after the first sjift everything shifts smoothly
- The shifts are occuring too low (around 4000 rpm) regardless of the position of the kickdown cable.
-Kickdown lasts for a maximum of 2-3 seconds.

Thats about it. I'm getting really fustrated now and i'm about ready to pelt away d damn tranny and go manual.

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » March 8th, 2005, 9:54 am

Mr. Go Slow wrote:
Anton wrote:Dude, the tranny i have is the non electronic tranny. The electrician says that all the signals to the tranny are correct.

Who is your eletrician? Check Kunta in the Bamboo... He has done the exact electrical install and fixed the exact same problem before I believe ... PM pbf1940 to verify ...

My electrician is a guy named lee from down in preysal. He's supposed to be very good at what he does. Some guys from the rally club swear by him.

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » March 9th, 2005, 12:44 pm

fellas fellas fellas :lol: :lol: :lol: .....first of all, i had the same problem, shifting, with my first AE111 corolla with the 4AFE. Car would shift from 1 to 2 only at 4500RPM. I tried adjusting the kickdown cable.....no luck, but insisted it must be the kickdown cable. so i shortenend the bracket to get more adjustment. no luck. Finally found the solution. Flipping battery acid had leaked down onto the tranny, dryrotting, or eating away the other end of the cable. But you cant see the problem unless the car is driving!! so when you drive, instead of the cable shifting at the top, the housing at the other end simply lifts off leaving the bare cable exposed. When car is parked, the plastic housing goes back into position. My guess, you have the same problem.....

As for the tranny and gearbox with ECU question, remember i took out my gearbox and swapped it with a tranny. My old harness is considerably smaller...since there are no wires to the gearbox. The new ECU and harness i installed....foir the tranny, yes this ECU controls the tranny. I believe you must do a complete swap with ECU and harness

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”