TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

2008 Legacy Cluster Display Language / Key FOB programming

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

2008 Legacy Cluster Display Language / Key FOB programming

Postby Densil » March 19th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Hey guys, i know i should have asked first, but i went ahead and bought a speedo gauge cluster(got it at a great price,hasn't arrived yet) to change out my current setup (because it displays stuff in Japanese on the info screen) and i was wondering if anyone had bothered to do anything like that before. Additionally to the language change..this speedo goes up to 160mph(& in kph another benefit)... will attach a pic.....also i plan on doing a little "how too" if it does indeed work (crosses fingers) =-)

oh..the display im talking about is right on the RPM side that displays stuff like (mileage, doors opened, messages etc).. I got an error (or message) the other day and all i could read was the number 2...had no idea what it was trying to tell me...i got it twice.....and i like to know whats going on....so...hence the change out project. I could have deciphered all the previous messages..but this one was different.
Attachments
08 cluster in mph.JPG
Last edited by Densil on March 29th, 2014, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

dgobo
Sweet on this forum

Re: 2008 Legacy Speedometer Display Language

Postby dgobo » March 20th, 2014, 8:14 am

^^ i get that as well every once in a while. i also have no idea what it means.

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 20th, 2014, 9:06 am

dgobo wrote:^^ i get that as well every once in a while. i also have no idea what it means.

by chance..does your car have eyesight dgobo?

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 21st, 2014, 7:49 am

More than likely the cluster u purchased wouldnt work

the cluster is tied into the BIU and the immobilizer...the car mostly likely wudnt start

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 21st, 2014, 8:59 am

jadakiss wrote:More than likely the cluster u purchased wouldnt work

the cluster is tied into the BIU and the immobilizer...the car mostly likely wudnt start

Can you go into more detail... Not sure what the BIU is ... im sure there has to be a way around this if you have to change a bad cluster out. im still hopeful

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 22nd, 2014, 2:51 pm

^ If you have to chg a bad cluster its no prob...however the dealership has to be involved. The BIU-Body Integrated Unit is tied into the cluster/ECU and the immobilizer system (which has a component on the cluster)

Chg'ing the cluster wud signal to the car that the immobilizer system is being bypassed so it wud not start..so if one has to chg the cluster for example u'd have the recode the keys back to the ecu/immobilizer system..and u'd need subaru select monitor for it...

esp in the more recent RORO cars that have push to start it wud be even more tricky

this is to avoid swapping clusters for mileage altering purposes...cuz ur car wud now read the mileage on the new cluster..true mileage wud still be stored in the ECU tho...

neways the JDM cluster is different from the USDMs or even the ADM..im guessing u got the USDM cluster....shucks..

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 22nd, 2014, 3:56 pm

awwwwwwww.....sheit......lol..... well to late for that now......small ting.. ..i'll just chuck it in a corner....might have have some use for it later on maybe.
So a couple of questions...
1. getting the dealership involved would probably cost how much? to do a swap of a cluster. Maybe install their own local cluster in english? im thinking obviously now i would have to get new keys etc.
2. do you know anyone with a subaru select monitor? or only the firm has it?
3. I have a push to start and i only got one key w/ alarm and immobilizer in one. What are my options to get second or backup key/immobilizer/remote alarm etc. (some place in town, RUDD masterlock said they could do it ,Starts at $1400 they say and it would take half a day)
4.you said true mileage is stored in the ECU..is it retrievable? it would be nice to know if they dialled back my mileage in Japan.(good for true maintenance schedule)
5. .. i think thats enough questions for now...lol...you've been a great help..thanks again =-)

BTW....You sound very knowledgeable about subbies.....

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » March 22nd, 2014, 4:05 pm

I thought the immobilizer is only tied Into the ecu

Spare key, I got it done at pix in south for 700. Coded key..I brought in some oem blanks but it wasnt taking the program. New key took about 15mins to make and code

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 22nd, 2014, 5:18 pm

I checked pix....no go... even the placed next door also.... Neither could do it. ...Rudd was the only ppl so far that said they could. ..I will attach pic of the key (partial of course..lol)

It carved out on both sides..
Attachments
1395523048723.jpg
Untitled.jpg

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 23rd, 2014, 1:25 pm

Aaron, in the legacy the immobilizer is tied to the BIU and ECU...cool huh? well not really esp for Densil and myself..cuz we both have the push to start :-( and its much harder to recode

In the older legacy's '05 etc pix and rudd can sort out the key issue no worries..jus pick up the code..cut and recode

but the push to start comes with the key fob that my boy posted above..however the passive chip is in the circuitry inside the fob.pix's machine cannot replicate it

there is a guy who works in massey who prob can..but u'd need to have the metal tags with the id codes that u got with the key

pix can prob put u onto the guy...i tink he has the number for the guy.

u shud try rudd keymasters cuz they deal with alot of euros etc so they might be able to handle it..however the key fob u'd have to buy out of japan..Rudd cud prob jus recode it to a mechanical key (like the older legacies) and u'd have to hold to up to 'push to start' button until it turns green

abt the subaru select monitor and the cluster swap, pm for more info. i'll explain the scene with that cuz u mighten like what u see lol

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » March 23rd, 2014, 1:27 pm

You can also check the place in at Augustine I can't recall the name offhand tho

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 23rd, 2014, 4:25 pm

^^ Hi tech lock smith's is the place in st augustine..they use same unit as Pix's. Won't work

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 23rd, 2014, 5:17 pm

Dammit.... Most likely I'm going to check Rudd tmr and also the massy to see what they say. ..I've been researching all evening. ...cutting the key is the easy part.... They have to program the new code onto the ECU.... This ceramic part(immobilizer) is located in the remote and has 6 numbers and 2 letters on it ( well at least mines anyway) I've read up to 4 codes can be programmed......so I looked online for an exact replacement of my Remote and found it.. The only problem is that they come in two flavors. .. A 312mhz and 434mhz....not sure which one will work for. ... Will do some more digging.....But it looks like they need to connect to the ECU and program the codes for both keys onto it. Because once you start to program a new code for a new key. ...it erases the previous codes...

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 24th, 2014, 10:57 am

So i called RUDD today (didnt want to make a waste run) spoke to a lady...she said they can do the keys... but not the cards (Smart key/ Smart card)... =/ ....sigh .....so went into Massy ..gave them the chassis number...he said he would get back to me by lunch time......he said a replacement would cost around $3000...and....the guy to add it to the ecu will cost another $500 maybe ....i asked him about getting my own smart key and let them program it...he said that it might not work (because -yada yada - i really didn't believe him) .......this look like its getting pretty expensive...lol

I fount a few sites online that sell the replacements...is just to get a guy from massy to program it (side job)

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » March 24th, 2014, 11:00 am

I bought some blank keys and they could not be programmed

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 24th, 2014, 11:20 am

Aaron 2NR wrote:I bought some blank keys and they could not be programmed

did they say why it couldnt?... from what i understand the immobilizer code just needs to be programmed in to the ECU..... im not sure if the keys them selves are "programmed".... Or are we talking about the remote functions like arming and opening the trunk etc?

maybe the smart card are just different to the keys? because for me..the immobilizer (once your close to the car)you can unlock the doors by pressing the button on the door

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » March 24th, 2014, 11:51 am

The machines down here cannot copy the coding...as well as usdm frequencies are diff ffom jdm

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 24th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Aaron 2NR wrote:The machines down here cannot copy the coding...as well as usdm frequencies are diff ffom jdm

I see ....well im trying to get in contact with the guy from massy who does the programming....he should be able to tell me for sure my options... but so far it looking like i have to fork out that $3000 and hopefully get a discount...lol... The price of some of those keys online are over $200US for the smart card...i did come across some used ones for much cheaper.....but i eh know about that one.
Some of the sites you have to sign up to see the prices....i emailed a few of them to get some prices and to find out which ones are compatible with JDM.

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 24th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Bad news ..... Subaru of Japan no longer carries the spare key for my model. =( ... He says i might have to take a chance an order the spare online..... so I asked him to put me onto the programmer to advise me ...so im heading over there now to meet the guy..hopefully he will have some good news and some specs to give me

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 24th, 2014, 3:55 pm

So i met the local subaru technical analyst .. he said some ppl had bought their own smart keys from online but only a few of them worked...the others failed to be added to the system (possibly were USDM) ... He said i could take a chance and hopefully it might work....

Other option he gave me was that if im travelling.. i can go to Subaru of Miami with my current card/key and certified copy and they would be able to code a key and smart card and maybe when i get back to Trinidad they can program it too my car... the problem with that is when they are adding the new key to the system....i will have to re-add the old key...and im not sure they would have the code (the silver tag that comes with your keys)to re-enter the old key to the system... thus leaving me with 1 key again.....so if im goin to miami..i would have to get 2 instead of 1....

So at the end of it...it looks like i will have to keep my "1 key" and mellow.....Just have to be careful and not lose it.....sigh... =/

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 25th, 2014, 11:40 am

^^ The spare key for you model was a retrofit to what is now used on all the new model legacies and is till available. The USDM equivalent looks the same however it has panic button and the frequency as Aaron said is different.

Even some RORO impreza hatch cars carry the same key.You can get it on japanparts..jus email them with you chassis number and tell them its the 'push to start' key FOB u looking for. U can attach the same pic if u wish

the last price they had it for was around $200USD

Massey has the SSM so they can communicate with the ecu and their machine wud be able to pull the code from ur current key fob and code the replacement key..i don't tink the option to do it in the US makes sense..

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 25th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Ok cool... Well I will try that and see where it gets me... Hopefully they can help... Will let you know how it goes

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 27th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Densil wrote:Ok cool... Well I will try that and see where it gets me... Hopefully they can help... Will let you know how it goes

Alright.. I email Japanparts today and i'm awaiting a reply about the spare key.

Also i collected the Guage Cluster this morning and decided to give it a go. Low and behold .. it works!!
i removed the bottom panel and the 3 screws that was holding it in place. Plugged in the 2 cables (exact fit). Powered up the car and it started. I moved it back and forth..no problems.. .I noticed a few differences right away.... Tire pressure monitor system alarm was ON (USDM came with the module) ... some of the notification icons are slightly different and in different places...but overall its pretty close to JDM............also...my A/C was running and when i looked down....it converted everything to Fahrenheit...lol ....other than that...everything looks fine... . i will take the car for a spin sometime and check the accuracy of the readings and guages.....

One last thing.... everything is in ENGLISH.....finally.......i might use this for a while to get used to the notifications and maybe i will get to see what the error/message with that number 2 is all about..
Will keep you updated.

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 29th, 2014, 2:55 am

Japan parts replied and sent me this : :P

Replying to find out if the FOB will be coded or blank .. .. Cause im not sure if we can program the FOB here... Can definitely get the key cut... .. but i hope the FOB comes with codes to enter it into the system pronto(fingers crossed).
Attachments
key.jpg

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Re: 2008 Legacy Cluster Display Language / Key FOB programmi

Postby jadakiss » March 30th, 2014, 12:24 am

^^ No..it will NOT be coded. U'll have to get massey to do it..cutting the key is secondary..its the coding that wud be the challenge.

I'm sure u have the metal tags that came with the key fob.they wud use that to recode it

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 30th, 2014, 7:08 am

I didn't get any tags with current key :(

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » March 30th, 2014, 8:57 am

Hide immobilized in the car n cut a spare

jadakiss
Sweet on this forum

Postby jadakiss » March 30th, 2014, 1:58 pm

awww shucks...i wud ah tell the dealer hard luck...one key is ultra risky..

the chip is inside the fob..if u take apart the fob it wud be possible for pix or even rudd to capture the code and trans it to one of the regular coded keys..however..u'd jus have to hold the new key it up to the push to start and wait for d green light before it can start..stil better than noting..keyless entry is no big deal..u can always install and alarm to address that need

as a test..take out d battery from ur key fob...u'd notice the key fob wudnt have the proximity range to start the car like normal (eg. like if it is ur pocket or sumting) ..however if u push it up next to the button and wait u'd see that u can start it once the light turns green

dont hack out the chip...if i recall its part of the circuitry..i tink the prob pix might be having is that the key fob might have jus been too large to fit in his machine..however the circuitry might be small enuff to fit..but id try rudd..pix kinda old school lol

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » March 31st, 2014, 1:04 pm

will call the dealer and find out if he had/have the tags....im pretty ok with one set of keys... its just good to have a backup....but if i dont get one.....its no biggy.....i'll live...lol ......will try out some of the suggestions..

Densil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Densil » April 15th, 2014, 9:32 pm

jadakiss wrote:awww shucks...i wud ah tell the dealer hard luck...one key is ultra risky..

the chip is inside the fob..if u take apart the fob it wud be possible for pix or even rudd to capture the code and trans it to one of the regular coded keys..however..u'd jus have to hold the new key it up to the push to start and wait for d green light before it can start..stil better than noting..keyless entry is no big deal..u can always install and alarm to address that need

as a test..take out d battery from ur key fob...u'd notice the key fob wudnt have the proximity range to start the car like normal (eg. like if it is ur pocket or sumting) ..however if u push it up next to the button and wait u'd see that u can start it once the light turns green

dont hack out the chip...if i recall its part of the circuitry..i tink the prob pix might be having is that the key fob might have jus been too large to fit in his machine..however the circuitry might be small enuff to fit..but id try rudd..pix kinda old school lol

I did try the thing without the battery.... Works as you said... I went ahead and ordered the key and FOB...waiting for it to arrive....

Also ....found out about a guy hiding down in Point Fortin... Apparently he said he could do it.... the coding...
So i will check him when i get the stuff and see if he really can...... If he cant i will go back to massey..... (obliviously not goin to let him eff up my new key/FOB) ..lol

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”