TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

honda ek hatch, reviews?

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

honda ek hatch, reviews?

Postby Ted_v2 » August 7th, 2014, 9:17 pm

So today i drove a honda ek hatch with a d15. Pretty stock with some simple suspension mods. Just a lowering kit, a brace on the rear lower by the trailing arms, and a Generic front upper sway bar.
15" rims.

AND it was perfect.
The suspension was stiff, Hugged the corners, limited body roll, Could of been a bit faster on the straight but Nice (possible b16a candidate) . Extremely quick steering response.

thinking of buying one, but i have no ideas of the pricing and the maintenance of parts. Hardly see much hatch parts in foreign used places, but then again i never looked for parts for these.
I know the front carries a upper and lower cradle, but can this work with a set of basic lowering springs?
front and rear suspension similar to the ek sedan?

Is mid 30-low 40k a decent price for a stock or lightly modified hatch?
maybe a b16a swap later on.

TK!
Riding on 18's

Re: honda ek hatch, reviews?

Postby TK! » August 10th, 2014, 2:07 pm

good review. that's an old car and you'll find many more articles online.

there are innumerable options for performance and visual mods to this car. the EK3 hatch is very similar to the EK9 type-r hatch. you just have to choose which direction you want, buy original honda parts or better and you'll have a very good ride.

the suspension, exhaust and body parts for the rear of the hatch is different to the sedan. the front upper and lower cradles do not limit lowering springs. match springs with the right dampers.

the price is ok. watch for loss of chassis rigidity at this age. you can feel it in the ride. i would avoid a b16a swap cuz IMHO it's overdone, overrated and overpriced.

good luck

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » August 10th, 2014, 4:08 pm

TK! wrote:
. i would avoid a b16a swap cuz IMHO it's overdone, overrated and overpriced.

good luck

kinda off topic but why would you avoid a swap ?

wats the average price you would pay and why becuz a b18c hatch goes for around 55- 60 so a b16 a should be about 50 k ?

why do u say its over rated ?

i jus curious becuz of your reply to op :|

kjaglal76v2
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kjaglal76v2 » August 10th, 2014, 7:13 pm

tobo the single cam

10-01
punchin NOS

Postby 10-01 » August 11th, 2014, 8:27 am

Ted_v2 wrote:So today i drove a honda ek hatch with a d15. Pretty stock with some simple suspension mods. Just a lowering kit, a brace on the rear lower by the trailing arms, and a Generic front upper sway bar.
15" rims.

AND it was perfect.
The suspension was stiff, Hugged the corners, limited body roll, Could of been a bit faster on the straight but Nice (possible b16a candidate) . Extremely quick steering response.

thinking of buying one, but i have no ideas of the pricing and the maintenance of parts. Hardly see much hatch parts in foreign used places, but then again i never looked for parts for these.
I know the front carries a upper and lower cradle, but can this work with a set of basic lowering springs?
front and rear suspension similar to the ek sedan?

Is mid 30-low 40k a decent price for a stock or lightly modified hatch?
maybe a b16a swap later on.

i have owned a few so far , really nice cars parts are readily available at almost every parts place , all ek3, ek4 , ek9 parts are interchangeable both hatch and sedan , a few body parts are different also engines are different , and yes a basic set of springs can work on the hatch ,
A d15b hatch is the best bet if u looking for a cheap reliable engine , compared to the B series Bseries parts are a bit more expensive
B16a and box is about $18 k
d15b and box is about $5k
but ther is a huge Hp difference , my advice is buy a stock hatch then work your way up to a bSeries swap .
after market parts are available by order or local shops have most parts
Maintenance parts are not so expensive
oil filter - $400 to change
shocks new $450 each
everything is available used or new
body parts
bumper $500
Doors $2000 a set
bonnet $700
Grill - $150
fender $250
etc

hope this info helps :D

TK!
Riding on 18's

Postby TK! » October 11th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Project-JDM wrote:
TK! wrote:
. i would avoid a b16a swap cuz IMHO it's overdone, overrated and overpriced.

good luck

kinda off topic but why would you avoid a swap ?

wats the average price you would pay and why becuz a b18c hatch goes for around 55- 60 so a b16 a should be about 50 k ?

why do u say its over rated ?

i jus curious becuz of your reply to op :|

It's popular and this demand has driven the price of a used engine to over 12,000 TT. At such a premium, i would expect something more rewarding.

Boosting the single cam (as kjaglal76v2 said) would cost about the same but give more hp.
Swapping with a B20 will give more tq, cost less but isnt much hp or fun.
Swapping with a B20/B16 will give plenty tq and hp but is costly.
Swapping with a K20 will make you the envy of every enthusiast. This is the most costly swap but is the newest engine you can possibly put into the EK. Some ppl also do a K24/K20 swap (Costs more than two EKs).

I'm yet to see/hear about a R18 boosted swap in an EK.

-Tariq

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » October 11th, 2014, 2:43 pm

Hatch plans still in swing. However I was planning to sell one of the vehicles. But no. Decided to keep the two and buy the hatch.

Something like that.
Honesty prefer a b16a automatic swap. Simple. Easy maintenance. Manual later on.
But lemme get it first and then talk about mods .

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 11th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Not all parts are interchangeable. .. namely the brake master cylinder
You will most likely hate the auto b16 setup. Honda didn't want to pay royalties so developed their own automatic which is essentially an automated manual transmission. 4 gears, 4 clutch packs, electronically controlled and needs cooling. Without an aux trans cooler mine used to shift erratically after about 20 - 30 mins of driving.
Vehicle is generally more costly to maintain.
As an example there are 26 bushings in total in the front and rear suspension of the vehicle not including the sway bar bushings...try to find that many in any other vehicle
Mentioned above was the cost of a replacement engine; for almost half that price you can acquire a neo vvl engine which makes a decent amount of power as well.
By today's standards the car is considered flimsy. Most modem cars don't need that level of chassis bracing to be stiff.
Last don't believe the hp value hype; it sounds good on paper but that is it. .. It has very little torque so it is geared short to hide this fact.
Other than these things it is a fun small car

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”