TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

1986 Daihatsu Charmant Build (rebirth)

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Re: 1986 Daihatsu Charmant Build (rebirth)

Postby Mr. Go Slow » February 4th, 2015, 4:28 pm

subscribed

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » February 5th, 2015, 10:03 am

Money well spent here.. Not my cup of tea but my cup runethover!! Good stuff and please don't let this thread go dead b4 it's completed lol

Kongorealm
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kongorealm » February 9th, 2015, 3:54 pm

subscribed. always wanted to attempt a build of an ole school car...very nice

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » February 10th, 2015, 8:52 am

you got the rear traction bars locally?

what brand are they?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » February 10th, 2015, 9:11 am

everything for the car was imported

avimadvibez
3NE 2NR for life

Postby avimadvibez » February 10th, 2015, 9:50 pm

now this is how you do build. looks amazing so far keep it up

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » February 11th, 2015, 12:38 am

really a rebirth.......hold a cigar....!

Morbid582
Ricer

Postby Morbid582 » February 11th, 2015, 7:52 am

sliderz1 wrote:you got the rear traction bars locally?

what brand are they?

Techno Toy Tuning bought straight from their online shop

https://technotoytuning.com/

Abraham2nd
Trinituner Peong

Postby Abraham2nd » March 4th, 2015, 3:55 pm

OMG THATS A FORTUNE!!!!
looks good.. I MEAN AMAZING!!!
Dont forget to change from auto to manual =D

Reamos DC5
Sweet on this forum

Postby Reamos DC5 » March 5th, 2015, 3:35 am

Great going so far, keep it up!

525isport
Sweet on this forum

Postby 525isport » March 5th, 2015, 4:45 pm

subscribed

shodoh100
Riding on 13's

Postby shodoh100 » March 5th, 2015, 9:11 pm

Anybody have an idea were to get charmant wrap around bumper the 1 piece contact me 302 3701 I need both

SLaus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SLaus » May 9th, 2015, 11:19 pm

Ok time to raise a jep nest let's go:

moti wrote:
cinco wrote:
moti wrote:^^ Why?

Because it's non Toyota?

Tell me, what RWD 4 Cylinder turbo Gasoline engine does Toyota have?.

2t/3t wam to u dunce???

LMAO.

Unless he can get a 3TGTE or 4TGTE it don't make sense.

Plus OP didn't state what his build was aiming for, i.e. drag, drift, or just to have a fassup ride or a weekend warrior.

And I really can't see him spending 15K including the engine/box cost on a T series and have 200hp as starting figures.

Okay I will hush my rass now.

:lol:

Moti, you are my friend from long time and actually the man who started me on the T series toyota engines with the Stephen link. I have had great success on boosting these engines to date.....

15k on a T series motor can get you up to 350 rwhp on a 2T and 400 rwhp on a 3T with stock internals. It has been done worldwide. You just have to be willing to fish around online and bring in the following to "build" the engine:

2tc/3tc aftermarket cam (ebay, craigslist, facebook) - $1500 TT max
2tc/3tc dual valvesprings (ebay, craigslist, facebook)- $ 500 TT max
2tc/3tc turbo manifold (local built or online) - $1500 TT max
T3 .50A/R compressor .63 A/R turbine turbo internally gated or external (ebay, craigslist, facebook) - $1500 TT max
2tc/3tc copper clutch and pressure plate (cheap ebay brands are very reliable: autocom, etc) -$ 1000 TT max
2tc/3tc ARP connecting rod bolts (ebay, craigslist, facebook) - $400 TT max2tc/3tc
2tc/3tc ARP flywheel bolts (ebay, craigslist, facebook) - $ $250 TT max
2tc/3tc Felpro gasket set (ebay, craigslist, facebook) - $ 400 TT max
T5O bell to W series gearbox adapter plate $800 TT max
Universal Intercooler + piping kit - $1500 TT max
Fuel delivery :
OPTION 1 :32/36 Weber with rising rate fuel pressure regualtor + High pressure fuel injection pump for blowthrough (ebay, craigslist, facebook or local) - $3000 TT max

OR :

OPTION 2:
32/36 Weber + carbon seal for turbo to make draw through (ebay, craigslist, facebook or local) - $2000 TT max

Ignition :
High spark aftermarket ignition box + coil eg. MSD. Crane, etc (ebay, craigslist, facebook or local) - $2500 TT max
2tc/3tc aftermarket spark plug wires eg NGK, ACCEL etc - $500 TT max

And those are WORST case prices after customs clears in Trinidad and if you are lazy and just want to buy as you see them being sold without searching.... I actually spent Half of the total per the items above and below

Local:
21R 4 speed or 5 speed W series gearbox - $1000 TT max . Note the T50 box will disintegrate for any Torque over 200ft/lb. ( Torque is what kills gearboxes first not horsepower !!)

If like me you are upgrading your 2T or 3T engine yourself, things nice.. and it is very easy to do yourself once you have tools and follow the installation instructions for your equipment. After you need to tune accordingly which can be a pain for carburetted engines but with patience and a good wideband AFR system, you will be happy in the end..

The above parts properly installed and tuned will destroy ALL stock and some modified (depends on what Torque/HP/vehicle chassis they are in), "ready to drop in, usual what everyone is running, locally available sport engines that were mentioned previously.

MY 2012 EXAMPLE AT THE DRAG STRIP WITH MY DRAW THROUGH SUPERCHARGED 2T (NO INTERNAL MODS WHATSOEVER), 7psi boost,, CARELESSLY DONE JUST FOR FUN, 15 sec pass, crushing a SR20DET POWERED B14, LOL :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79gkE25dQrk

moti wrote:Trust me when I tell you that 22R parts are super hard to find locally.
Every and anything has to be imported.

21R has no aftermarket support like the 20R & 22R.
The head in a 21R also does not flow as well as the 20R.

Then there is the weight of those engines, they are on the heavy side.

Moti, again you are my friend from since 2008 when i decided to switch to the T series toyota engines. Previous to 2008 i ran both 21 and 22R engines in my ke70.

Let me correct you, the 21R came in several versions to "mock" the 20R and 22R. All 20R engines came 2.2L with the circle port intake head which flows better that the 2.4L 22R square intake port manifold head and the 2.0L 21R version of this head with same square intake ports and smaller combustion chamber.
The 21R circle intake port head flows the best actually and this version came in most rx60 cressidas, with the 22R coming in the rx70 cressidas.

The 21R engine with circle port head will blow past the 22R square port engine.. I know this for a fact. i was sad when i went to the 22R engine, but quicky became happy again when i swapped out the 22R shitty square port head with a 21R circle port head!!!

Still, the original stock 21R with circle port head was very very impressive with correct rear end ratio and i was able to blow past any stock SR20DE powered vehicle, fAR MORE FOR rb20 de AND DET..

WITH SIMILAR MODS PER ABOVE APPLIED TO THE 21R OR 22R WITH circle port head, and block with FLAT TOP PISTONS WHICH CAME WITH SOME OF THE SQUARE PORT HEAD 21R and 22R ENGINES, a maximum of in and around 320 RWHP can be achieved with these engines more or less on stock internals. These parts are available online as well and are actually cheaper due to the fact that though these engines are larger in displacement, they don't put out the HP ( they are more torque oriented truck engines per base design) and are not as strong as the 3TC engine in particular.

AN INTERESTING AND DIFFERENT TWIST WOULD BE TO TURBO THE 4 AC.

THERE ARE TURBO AFTERMARKET CAMSHAFTS AVAILABLE CHEAP THAT WILL SHOCK EVERYONE WITH THE RIGHT COMBINATION OF PARTS AND TUNE SIMILAR TO ABOVE FOR THIS BUILD. Around 200 RWHP was claimed on stock internals (with turbo cam and valve springs) is the maximum you can attempt to achieve believe it or not as far as my perusal has gone...

http://schneidercams.com/turbocharged.aspx

ALL THESE ENGINES ARE DIRECT DROP INTO A CHARMANT

Moti my friend, i thank you for linking me like you did with the T series motors and have me recognize that i dont have to spend a lot of cash to be quick...

Morbid582 wrote:At the end of the day there will always be the purist who would rather see a Toyota engine go into this chassis and I can understand and appreciate the view held by some that this would maintain the car's originality. Although Toyota basically owns Daihatsu, at the end of the day it a crossbreed (a Daihatsu with a Toyota motor) so sometimes you have to mix n match to achieve your goals i.e. what the car is being built for.
As I said earlier:
1.Im not willing to spend a ton on $$ on a 4cyl Toyota motor and supporting mods to achieve the same numbers that I can easily get with so many other factory DET platforms around.
2. Id rather use a motor where spares and aftermarket support are easily available/affordable
3. I had previously used the same motor that I'm planning to use now in the same chassis and the results were exceptional
4. Gained alot of experience and knowledge in how this particular motor works and what mods are needed to extract the performance required hence reducing the amount of time/$$ spent by a 'mech/tuner'

btw the plan is to build a CA20DET for it...........

Morbid582 to you sir i say each man to his own, you already have your plan but this is just my 2 cents to advise you that it is not that expensive, to make reliable horsepower for the aforementioned 4 cylinder Toyota engines if you are willing to take up such a mantle (unless you consider my quotation on prices above as you put it "a ton of cash"). I guess its my Mechanical Engineering background that has me like this but like i said to each his own!

I HAVE CARELESSLY RUN (i.e Improper tune, etc) IN 2008 20PSI OF HOT SUPERCHARGED BOOST IN DRAW THROUGH FASHION ON MY BONE STOCK 13TU (3TC cousin looks the same externally head is different) ENGINE DAILY FOR OVER A YEAR , ONLY PORTED HEAD, AND USED DUAL VALVE SPRINGS WITH FLAT TOP 21R PISTONS AND ENGINE ONLY SPUN BEARING BECAUSE I IGNORED MY FAILING OIL PUMP ( YES THE OIL LIGHT WAS BLAZING BRIGHT ON THE DASH FOR A WHOLE WEEK, STUPID ME!!) I HAVE LEARNED SINCE THEN AND NOW I REAP THE BENEFITS OF MY CHOICES. I never got to the track with that build but on the cross it made idiots of turbocharged subarus, sr20det powered box lancers and a few other cars...

IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP - Slaus 724-6776 or 468-4137

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » May 10th, 2015, 6:58 am

i think your prices are a bit off.

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » May 10th, 2015, 8:43 am

Slaus, You know we good.
Thanks for your input there I am yet to see your project.

Saw the car once at a drift or was it a drag and wind event (cant remember) but didn't see you around.

You have to see my current setup though, and my number hasn't changed (740-1780).
I did lose yours when I changed phones a few times over the years.

SLaus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SLaus » May 10th, 2015, 10:21 am

Ted_v2 wrote:i think your prices are a bit off.

No they are not.

I shop around online for the best deals for toyota T series engines, (not necessarily all new, in case of camshafts) and there are plenty like i qualified before, if you are willing to not be lazy in searching and really want good value.

On facebook there are a slew of users on the 3tcgarage club selling stuff:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3tcgarage/

Also on the main website 3tcgarage which has less users since the site crashed last year :

http://www.3tcgarage.com/viewforum.php?f=50&sid=f120a131e98fd864e294395f5a07c8f3

moti wrote:Slaus, You know we good.
Thanks for your input there I am yet to see your project.

Saw the car once at a drift or was it a drag and wind event (cant remember) but didn't see you around.

You have to see my current setup though, and my number hasn't changed (740-1780).
I did lose yours when I changed phones a few times over the years.

I will call you bro! and yes it was a drag wind event in 2013.

The main project is still having the roll cage and rear end installed . Damn fabricator has the car two years now. :x That's the only stuff i don't do on my own.. Believe it or not, i can street dyno any car and plot a horsepower/torque to rpm curve with a +/- 2% difference margin to a DYNO..lol

I have an Interim SR5 project i am building (cheap build) right now myself

I did misplace your number also.. wanna see that setup you got!!
Last edited by SLaus on May 14th, 2015, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abraham2nd
Trinituner Peong

Postby Abraham2nd » May 13th, 2015, 3:36 pm

WE WANT MORE PICS =D

chinee
Riding on 13's

Postby chinee » May 31st, 2015, 3:23 pm

more will come to come guys but me daylight mechanic aka my brother i halfway around the world, but to keep every one in the loop this weekend car will be stripped of its old paint and prepare for painting and also looking to start engine fitment as well.

harshmakerzz
Riding on 13's

Postby harshmakerzz » April 14th, 2017, 12:26 am

Ignorant Ignis wrote:wow ....... loving where this is headed ...... please no sr20

Y

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”