Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

matthewmazda
Riding on 18's

MORE DRUNKS IN SOUTH

Postby matthewmazda » May 26th, 2015, 6:28 pm

:drinking:
MORE DRUNKS IN SOUTH

By AZARD ALI Tuesday, May 26 2015 Newsday

ADVOCACY group Arrive Alive has expressed so much concern with the high percentage of persons being arrested for drunk driving in the Southland that it is planning to open an office in San Fernando.

Police figures revealed yesterday that with just over 1,200 drunk drivers charged throughout Trinidad and Tobago for drunk driving so far this year, 65 percent of that figure originates south of the Caroni bridge.

Assistant Commissioner Police (Traffic) Deodath Dulalchan, who disclosed the data accompanied it with a call for Senior Superintendents in other police divisions north of the Caroni bridge, to intensify Driving Under the Influence (DUI) police exercises.

“It does not necessarily mean more people in South are driving while drunk, but that most of the exercises are south of the Caroni bridge,” Dulalchan said. He said a total of 7,000 persons have been tested and of that number, 1,200 persons have been charged.

“I would say that 65 percent of those persons are south of the Caroni bridge. However, most of the DUI exercises are being conducted in such areas. We intend to call on those officers in charge of those stations west of the country to conduct more DUI exercies,” ACP Dulalchan said.

Arrive Alive (AA) yesterday expressed concern that if most of the drunk drivers are from south Trinidad given the heavy concentration of DUI exercises, there might be need for AA to initiate plans to set up a rehabilitation centre in San Fernando.

The issue of too many drunk drivers on the nation’s roads and the need for rehabilitating them was a source of concern for a mMagistrate yesterday, who, presiding in the San Fernando Magistrates’ court, requested 17 of 22 motorists charged with failing breathalyser tests at the weekend, to attend Arrive Alive counseling sessions.

Commenting on Magistrate Sherene Murray-Bailey’s suggestion, Arrive Alive President, Sharon Inglefield, told Newsday yesterday that it might be that more drunk drivers are south of the country.

“We are looking for location to have a centre in south Trinidad and to train staff for counselling drunk drivers,” Inglefield said. Yesterday, 22 persons were arrested and when they pleaded guilty before Murray-Bailey, she sent all, but five, for counselling at AA.

Yesterday was the third occasion in three months Murray-Bailey had opted to recommend AA counselling, instead of imposing a fine upon the drivers pleading guilty. Her approach is a marked distinction from Senior Magistrate Gloria Jasmath, presiding in the same courtroom, and who last week, slapped every guilty DUI offender with fines ranging from $4,000 to $12,000. Jasmath raked in $120,000 from 12 drunk drivers.

When on May 4 Murray Bailey sent a number of drivers to AA, the Magistrate commented that drivers needed to be educated on the amount of alcohol they should consume in order to gauge whether they might be exceeding the legal limit of 35 microgrammes alcohol.

Inglefield told Newsday yesterday that since most of the drunk drivers seemed to be from South based on the many referrals to AA by Murray-Bailey, AA as a Non-Governmental Organisation, saw the need for another venue to host rehabilitation programmes in keeping pace with referrals by magistrates.

This weekend’s DUI Task Force exercise was spearheaded by Insp Joseph Jaikaran, Cpl Rishni Ramdass, and included WPC Charlaine Maynard Small, Cpls Roberts, PCs Sujeet Ramcharan, Lennard Thomas, Alex Mohammed, Hinds and La Borde.

Yesterday, Sgt Diniath Harricharan prosecuted the cases and in the case of Dion Thomas, he told Murray-Bailey after pleading guilty, that he drank puncheon rum with his grandmother on Saturday night, because that was her favourite drink. His reading was given by the prosecutor as 72 micrograms per 100 milliliters of breath.

Murray-Bailey asked Thomas to attend Arrive Alive and return to court on June 12 for mitigation and sentencing. Devon Cook who gave a reading of 46 mg at 1.30 am on Saturday, told Murray-Bailey that he attended a “get together” and, “bachaanal” broke out so he decided to leave. He was referred to Arrive Alive and will know his fate before the magistrate on June 12, when he shall know his fate.

Bobby Gopie whose DUI reading was 62 mg, told Murray Bailey that he is an oyster vendor and he must drink everyday, because his body develops an itch while digging oysters in the mangrove. After telling him to attend a doctor who would recommend some medicine, Murray-Bailey advised Gopie to attend Arrive Alive.

Pooran Ramdass, whose alcohol reading was 76 mg at 2.30 am on Saturday, told the magistrate that he went to a family “get together” and wanted to spend the night, “but fight broke out”. He also was advised to attend Arrive Alive and to return on June 12. Earlier this year, in January, Transport Minister Stephen Cadiz, in announcing the increase of fines under new legislation to a maximum of $22,500 for failing a breathalyser test, made a special plea to magistrates “What I am asking the magistrates to do,” the Minister said, is throw the book at them

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: MORE DRUNKS IN SOUTH

Postby Rory Phoulorie » May 26th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Today I ate a doubles in south. I stopped off for it by the round-a-bout by the new NP Fuel Depot along Caroni Savannah Road. South is an amazing place.

cincuanta
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby cincuanta » May 26th, 2015, 8:53 pm

Is it so unbelievable that there may be more check points in South?

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 26th, 2015, 9:04 pm

matthewmazda wrote:ADVOCACY group Arrive Alive has expressed so much concern with the high percentage of persons being arrested for drunk driving in the Southland that it is planning to open an office in San Fernando.

No laughing matter, yet i have to admit chuckling when i read that.

1UZFE
punchin NOS

Postby 1UZFE » May 26th, 2015, 9:07 pm

not surprised..

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » May 26th, 2015, 9:10 pm

tell dem oman to stop horning, so dey husband go stop jinkin

tell dem man to stop jinkin, so dey wife wudnt horn dem

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » May 26th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Customer asked me why I don't keep Barum in the fridge

Galvatron
Sweet on this forum

Postby Galvatron » May 26th, 2015, 9:38 pm

Stupid article...it stated more exercises in south

There's little detection in the west, POS and environs, becuz there's hardly any roadblocks on the highways.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 26th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Yet known liming spots like the Ave,Chag etc are virtually unchecked.

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » May 26th, 2015, 10:07 pm

south people again.

dhal and white oak country.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 26th, 2015, 10:13 pm

nick639 wrote:
src1983 wrote:Customer asked me why I don't keep Barum in the fridge

You have a rum shop?

Or a tyre shop?

mero
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby mero » May 26th, 2015, 11:46 pm

South have cars?

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » May 27th, 2015, 12:55 am

The souther you go, the drunker you get- Raj Kapoor.

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » May 27th, 2015, 1:46 am

De Dragon wrote:Yet known liming spots like the Ave,Chag etc are virtually unchecked.

maybe they should post police at every bar and political rally around the country.

but no worries... parliament shutting down next month... all suspects will be on vacation.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » May 27th, 2015, 2:58 am

nick639 wrote:
src1983 wrote:Customer asked me why I don't keep Barum in the fridge

You have a rum shop?

If yes will tuners get discounted prices?

cincuanta
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby cincuanta » May 27th, 2015, 3:01 am

Its the Bridge, Sharon Inglefield, the Caroni Bridge. The Bridge responsible for the higher number of drunks in South. Cant be anything else :roll:

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 27th, 2015, 5:07 am

X2 wrote:
De Dragon wrote:Yet known liming spots like the Ave,Chag etc are virtually unchecked.

maybe they should post police at every bar and political rally around the country.

but no worries... parliament shutting down next month... all suspects will be on vacation.

Dem big sawatees does have jivers and ting bhai....................

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » May 27th, 2015, 6:03 am

South Trinidad is a big place... bigger than north Trinidad, or any where else for that matter.

Surprised that figure isn't larger than 65%.. South looks like at least 75% of the country

South people outnumber the rest of the country. If they got together, they could probably take the north. #winteriscoming

cincuanta
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby cincuanta » May 27th, 2015, 6:46 am

^^ The north is mostly mountains. Cant drink rum in the north. You will get drunk and fall down. Everyone knows that.

STORM1234
Riding on 17's

Postby STORM1234 » May 27th, 2015, 8:08 am

debe, penal, siparia, have plenty drunk people, plenty more than in central, this is one of the first things I noticed. plus it have more police patrols and routine police stops during evening and into the night.

bunch ah dam lagoon rice injun

:lol:

Advent
Riding on 17's

Postby Advent » May 27th, 2015, 8:45 am

ruffneck_12 wrote:tell dem oman to stop horning, so dey husband go stop jinkin

tell dem man to stop jinkin, so dey wife wudnt horn dem

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » May 27th, 2015, 8:47 am

The only thing I gained from this article is why you don't let stupid people do statistics that matter.

Then again, I never saw a lancer maraj on the avenue.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » May 27th, 2015, 9:24 am

lost to all wrote:debe, penal, siparia, have plenty drunk people, plenty more than in central, this is one of the first things I noticed. plus it have more police patrols and routine police stops during evening and into the night.

They usually drinking in the lagoon and cane fields though... most might ride a bike or take a bison cart home. Doubt they have any cars to be DUI.

These stats off.
More data needed

STORM1234
Riding on 17's

Postby STORM1234 » May 27th, 2015, 9:44 am

neexis wrote:
lost to all wrote:debe, penal, siparia, have plenty drunk people, plenty more than in central, this is one of the first things I noticed. plus it have more police patrols and routine police stops during evening and into the night.

They usually drinking in the lagoon and cane fields though... most might ride a bike or take a bison cart home. Doubt they have any cars to be DUI.

These stats off.
More data needed

for more data please contact the debe, penal or siparia police stations.

:mrgreen:

Average
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Average » May 27th, 2015, 9:53 am

Arrive Alive is ah set of biased dicks. They fit in well with the "I have more money than you so I more privileged, please let me look down on those less fortunate" crowd.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » May 27th, 2015, 9:57 am

Agreed. When I leave north after liming on a weekend, you might bounce up a road block by Seereeram brothers but every weekend there is one by tech flyover, end of the highway or cross crossing.

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Postby Country_Bookie » May 27th, 2015, 10:12 am

Devon Cook who gave a reading of 46 mg at 1.30 am on Saturday, told Murray-Bailey that he attended a “get together” and, “bachaanal” broke out so he decided to leave. He was referred to Arrive Alive and will know his fate before the magistrate on June 12, when he shall know his fate.

Pooran Ramdass, whose alcohol reading was 76 mg at 2.30 am on Saturday, told the magistrate that he went to a family “get together” and wanted to spend the night, “but fight broke out”.

Wonders if Devon and Pooran were at the same "get together" and what was the fight about. Also why did Pooran leave an hour after Devon?

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » May 27th, 2015, 10:34 am

OH GAWD POORAN BOI.

toyota2nr
18 pounds of Boost

Postby toyota2nr » May 27th, 2015, 10:47 am

Sharon Inglefield and Arrive Alive (AA?) need to shut up. Bunch of spoiled, privileged, westerners who wanna impose their view on everyone else. The breathalyzer is quite enough. The issue like everything else in T&T has always been enforcement.

The reason they don't go on the Avenue is matter of who have friends in high places. Leave the drinkers alone!

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » May 27th, 2015, 10:50 am

thank you for looking down on south ppl, as backward ppl, but honestly i am ashamed of the image that south ppl are drunks

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”