Riding on 16's

Re: Kitchen cupboards etc

Postby TriniAutoMart » March 3rd, 2016, 3:28 pm

MD Marketers wrote:
TriniAutoMart wrote:
MD Marketers wrote:
York wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:
TriniAutoMart wrote:House came with kitchen pre-built and stove space was set against an inside wall.
I want to vent out the stove fumes. What would you guys recommend?
Should I run the vent along the ceiling and vent through an outside wall or should I vent straight up through the roof?
There's also the option where I use those coal filters in the range hood and just not vent out at all.

Recirculating range hoods are a waste of time

Wish i had the option of installing a vented model. I does have to open up the windows by me to air out the house...especially if we curry or fry stuff.

My suggestion: if u can...install a vented model.

recirculating ones help if it has the charcoal which adsorbs the fumes. needs to be changed and if not changed then one may think it's a waste of time.

you can go thru the ceiling and across thru the nearest external wall above the ceiling (or straight up thru the roof with a chinese hat!)

Only if it's a flat house.
If there is a beam he cannot run that size vent through the beam without weakening the structure.
Verticall pipes in the center of a house really doesn't look that great but it's the most economical approach to the problem.

I should have mentioned that it is a flat house.
I was thinking of going through the ceiling and venting out through an external wall. My only concern was the pipe would show coming back out of the ceiling to vent at the external wall. I'm really trying to avoid cutting the roof, so I may have to do the above even though I don't like how it would look.
If the charcoal is as effective I could use it but from the comments above it doesn't look that way.

Yes you will eventually reach a ring beam.
Hopefully you can go above it into a gable or some sort of space between the ring beam and the roof rather than go back below the ceiling again.
Also it's not advisable to cut a hole in your roof to stick a pipe in it from the the middle of your house. Your just begging for trouble during the rainy season.
Use the underground vent pipe if you want to hide everything and still have a hassle free ventilation system.

Underground venting sounds ideal but it's going to be the most intrusive option.

MD Marketers
Chronic TriniTuner
Location: 391-4558 tntresearchers@hotmail.com www.trinidadforsale.com

Postby MD Marketers » March 3rd, 2016, 6:52 pm

TriniAutoMart wrote:
MD Marketers wrote:
TriniAutoMart wrote:
MD Marketers wrote:
York wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:
TriniAutoMart wrote:House came with kitchen pre-built and stove space was set against an inside wall.
I want to vent out the stove fumes. What would you guys recommend?
Should I run the vent along the ceiling and vent through an outside wall or should I vent straight up through the roof?
There's also the option where I use those coal filters in the range hood and just not vent out at all.

Recirculating range hoods are a waste of time

Wish i had the option of installing a vented model. I does have to open up the windows by me to air out the house...especially if we curry or fry stuff.

My suggestion: if u can...install a vented model.

recirculating ones help if it has the charcoal which adsorbs the fumes. needs to be changed and if not changed then one may think it's a waste of time.

you can go thru the ceiling and across thru the nearest external wall above the ceiling (or straight up thru the roof with a chinese hat!)

Only if it's a flat house.
If there is a beam he cannot run that size vent through the beam without weakening the structure.
Verticall pipes in the center of a house really doesn't look that great but it's the most economical approach to the problem.

I should have mentioned that it is a flat house.
I was thinking of going through the ceiling and venting out through an external wall. My only concern was the pipe would show coming back out of the ceiling to vent at the external wall. I'm really trying to avoid cutting the roof, so I may have to do the above even though I don't like how it would look.
If the charcoal is as effective I could use it but from the comments above it doesn't look that way.

Yes you will eventually reach a ring beam.
Hopefully you can go above it into a gable or some sort of space between the ring beam and the roof rather than go back below the ceiling again.
Also it's not advisable to cut a hole in your roof to stick a pipe in it from the the middle of your house. Your just begging for trouble during the rainy season.
Use the underground vent pipe if you want to hide everything and still have a hassle free ventilation system.

Underground venting sounds ideal but it's going to be the most intrusive option.

Just need a good builder.
You won't even know what happened when it's done.
Not that costly either but budget is always a concern.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » March 3rd, 2016, 11:50 pm

Pal just use the charcoal hood...there are air fresheners, etc.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » June 30th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Where has meganite reasonable?

nello-sello
3NE 2NR for life

Postby nello-sello » January 26th, 2018, 8:58 pm

SimSimmer69 wrote:I just finished building my home (June 2014). I visited almost every kitchen place in Trinidad along with a lot of folks who built kitchen cabinets and I must say that I wasn't impressed with what anyone had to offer me so this is what I did:

1. Built my kitchen in 3D on IKEA
2. Bought a plane ticket to Florida
3. Visited IKEA Sunrise in Fort Lauderdale
4. Had a kitchen pro at IKEA fine tune the design and what I needed for my kitchen
5. Bought the kitchen (in pieces of course).
6. Shipped it to Trinidad
7. Assembled it myself.

Points to consider:
My kitchen is 18 x 14
I got: Double oven cabinets, Pantry (with pull out drawers) , Island with sink Cabinet above the fridge, Cabinets with glass, 4 horizontal cabinets with glass, all doors and drawers soft close, spice arrangers, cutlery arrangers...the full works for the kitchen all for the cost of $3820USD.

That cost me a lot less including the plane ticket and hotel accommodation if a local builder or supplier were doing everything on that list (most of them quoted me over 80K TTD).

My advice to you is do your research and buy/build your kitchen. And yes, IKEA makes top quality stuff cause everyone who enters my home is amazed at how it looks and the quality if the workmanship. They're all shocked when I tell them that I did it myself (along with a friend).

Any pics to share ????

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » January 26th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Would love to see pics of this...

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » February 10th, 2018, 4:57 am

nello-sello wrote:
SimSimmer69 wrote:I just finished building my home (June 2014). I visited almost every kitchen place in Trinidad along with a lot of folks who built kitchen cabinets and I must say that I wasn't impressed with what anyone had to offer me so this is what I did:

1. Built my kitchen in 3D on IKEA
2. Bought a plane ticket to Florida
3. Visited IKEA Sunrise in Fort Lauderdale
4. Had a kitchen pro at IKEA fine tune the design and what I needed for my kitchen
5. Bought the kitchen (in pieces of course).
6. Shipped it to Trinidad
7. Assembled it myself.

Points to consider:
My kitchen is 18 x 14
I got: Double oven cabinets, Pantry (with pull out drawers) , Island with sink Cabinet above the fridge, Cabinets with glass, 4 horizontal cabinets with glass, all doors and drawers soft close, spice arrangers, cutlery arrangers...the full works for the kitchen all for the cost of $3820USD.

That cost me a lot less including the plane ticket and hotel accommodation if a local builder or supplier were doing everything on that list (most of them quoted me over 80K TTD).

My advice to you is do your research and buy/build your kitchen. And yes, IKEA makes top quality stuff cause everyone who enters my home is amazed at how it looks and the quality if the workmanship. They're all shocked when I tell them that I did it myself (along with a friend).

Any pics to share ????
Was the $3820 inclusive of shipping and local customs , duties and taxes ? Was actually checking this option out too on my last trip but didn't have enuff time. Did visit Ikea and got some stuff .......bessssssss quality

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 10th, 2018, 8:07 am

Inside for pics....looking at the Ikea option as well

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 10th, 2018, 1:01 pm

IKEA has some great looking cabinets and hardware too for modern kitchens

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm

went young sing looking for a base unit to make a simple cupboard
they no longer make them out of melamine
only using the pvc board, plenty $$$$

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » February 10th, 2018, 3:52 pm

I saw those sets in Orlando last December Duane and the price was pretty good, what the most economical way to ship a set up like this home ppl ?????

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Kitchen cupboards etc

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 10th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Premchand1976 wrote:I saw those sets in Orlando last December Duane and the price was pretty good, what the most economical way to ship a set up like this home ppl ?????

Sea freight. IKEA stuff comes packed very efficiently.

I have to check to see if IKEA counters are priced better than buying the same quartz locally.

A pallet sized D container box from Laparkan is about TT$2500 to ship from Fort Lauderdale to Pt Lisas. it should fit an entire kitchen worth of IKEA cabinets excluding the counter but including the sink and fittings.

Chin man *
Street 2NR

Postby Chin man * » February 11th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Exquisite granite creations can supply and install quartz from as low as $250.00 per square foot material and labour.

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » February 12th, 2018, 7:49 am

Chin man * wrote:Exquisite granite creations can supply and install quartz from as low as $250.00 per square foot material and labour.
So if I have a sheet of quartz , let's say 8ft long x 26inches wide, ONE WHOLE SHEET how can they charge per square ft ? Its one big slab isn't it ? Rip off ????

Elighten us .......for conversation purposes anyone ?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Chin man * wrote:Exquisite granite creations can supply and install quartz from as low as $250.00 per square foot material and labour.
Hoss
PM me ur number
I trying to call u a while now

Chin man *
Street 2NR

Postby Chin man * » February 12th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Premchand1976 wrote:
So if I have a sheet of quartz , let's say 8ft long x 26inches wide, ONE WHOLE SHEET how can they charge per square ft ? Its one big slab isn't it ? Rip off ????

Elighten us .......for conversation purposes anyone ?

If "YOU" have your own material, they will only charge you a labour price to install it.
An 8'x26" slab is most likely to be a pre fab slab(ready make with a bullnose edge) , so it will jus be to cut and install. They normally charge $700.00 per slab for a basic installation, anything additional such as cutting of sinks or making bullnose edges will be an additional cost.
When charged by the square foot your getting the bigger sheets which comes 121"x55" and that material is customized to your cabinets.
So in instances where you have wide islands or curves and angles in your cabinets this material is the better n neater finish.

lancer1929
Riding on 13's

Postby lancer1929 » April 23rd, 2018, 12:54 pm

You all know anyone who does installation of kitchen range hood????

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » April 23rd, 2018, 3:50 pm

lancer1929 wrote:You all know anyone who does installation of kitchen range hood????
I would think that any qualified electrician would be able to handle that.

lancer1929
Riding on 13's

Postby lancer1929 » April 23rd, 2018, 9:05 pm

Wrong choice of words..meant the ducting

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 23rd, 2018, 10:49 pm

lancer1929 wrote:Wrong choice of words..meant the ducting

Oh. Most people just buy a 4” ducting kit, same one you use for a clothes dryer. M&M on Cipero St sells the adapter plate to go from a range hood to the 4” duct and then you just make a hole in your wall and vent it out. The kit comes with a vent flap too.

Wolfgang123
Street 2NR

Postby Wolfgang123 » February 18th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Good day, I'm in the process of building an apartment building, whats the best type of wood to use for the kitchen, need something not too expensive yet durable also can anyone recommend a good woodworker/company

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » February 19th, 2021, 5:23 am

Wolfgang123 wrote:Good day, I'm in the process of building an apartment building, whats the best type of wood to use for the kitchen, need something not too expensive yet durable also can anyone recommend a good woodworker/company

Sip
Appamat
Cedar
Mahogany
If you get matak(or however people spell it) yuh inna gear

If yuh feeling to spend$$ : teak.....men using melamine for shelving

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 19th, 2021, 7:00 am

Concrete bricks for the upright parts,concrete board for the top and tiles.Will outlast wood any day and significantly cheaper.You can use any kind of doors.
Wolfgang123 wrote:Good day, I'm in the process of building an apartment building, whats the best type of wood to use for the kitchen, need something not too expensive yet durable also can anyone recommend a good woodworker/company

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » March 8th, 2024, 12:15 pm

a friend looking for someone to replace cupboard doors (in the East)

any recommendations? they get quoted about 12k from someone :/

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”